• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[Dev Diary] Whats keeping us busy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I hope it's only for those with evil karma. xD

Did you take a look at the health bar mods I listed there?
We've seen health bars - but they dont quite accomplish what we want to do.
They are more than likely going to appear on NPCs / Mobs but probably not on Players - unless we find a better way.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Testing out more mob names / stuff.

VlBXG1y.png
qSWKqPo.png
- The Skeleton Archer

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I hope it's only for those with evil karma. xD

Did you take a look at the health bar mods I listed there?
To be fair, both evil and good karma players will get these modifiers, albeit at different levels ;)

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
To be fair, both evil and good karma players will get these modifiers, albeit at different levels ;)
...Bah. I don't need more incentive for PvP'ers going after me. I'm just gonna get as high a good karma as I can get without reaching a level where I become a target for evils.

Honestly I'd hardly call that a 'reward' for being good. I thought the karma system was to encourage people to be good and think twice about murdering people, rather than being 'fair'.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the work you've put into this, and while I don't know what kinda rewards you'll be giving good karma-ians, I really think that this is similar to putting a permanent, small bounty on all people with good karma. That's... just not karma, if you get my meaning. xD

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
PVP Coin Loss on PVP-Death
Wait what? This sounds like a disincentive to me. As it stands, I can at least feel safe that even if I get mugged for all my gold ore in my inventory, my coins are safe... Not sure I like the sound of that "incentive."

That said, I am excited for the completion of the karma system, hurry up Gabi! :p

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Wait what? This sounds like a disincentive to me. As it stands, I can at least feel safe that even if I get mugged for all my gold ore in my inventory, my coins are safe... Not sure I like the sound of that "incentive."

That said, I am excited for the completion of the karma system, hurry up Gabi! :p
If you are neutral, you wont lose any coin on death ... the coin loss modifier has to be attached. Let me make a FAQ about Karma....

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Journal #11
Karma FAQ's:
Karma will have modifiers, much like skills, you will gain at certain levels. These modifiers can be both positive and negative and will be applied when you reach a certain karma level.

What is a modifier?
A modifier is something that happens after death or a kill and it changes how normal gameplay is. For instance, a "more-exp loss" modifier, when attached, will cause the player who has the modifier to lose more exp on death. This would go to someone we'd like to call a murder or "PKer" (Player Killer)

Are all modifiers negative?
No, not all modifiers have negative traits associated with them. Some modifiers can be positive traits. The gain-more-pvp-exp modifier, when attached to the player, will gain more PVP-EXP when they kill players.

Will modifiers affect in-combat things?
No, modifiers will only affect out of combat or at-death settings. We're striving to ensure that we won't place a large importance or advantage on being high or low karma.

Can we opt out of this system?
No, this is the direction Herocraft RPG will be going, certain areas will have karma completely disabled however, namely in Arenas/Duels and WAR-like or "Chaotic" worlds.

When can we expect this system?
This has been in planning for over a year and development for around 3-5 months. It is coming soon but we cannot give any ETAs at this time.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
If you are neutral, you wont lose any coin on death ... the coin loss modifier has to be attached. Let me make a FAQ about Karma....
I understand this, but what I do not understand is why good karma players have to have the modifier attached?

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I understand this, but what I do not understand is why good karma players have to have the modifier attached?
To be fair to the evil players. Otherwise, people would always avoid being evil.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
To be fair to the evil players. Otherwise, people would always avoid being evil.

Honestly I'd hardly call that a 'reward' for being good. I thought the karma system was to encourage people to be good and think twice about murdering people, rather than being 'fair'.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the work you've put into this, and while I don't know what kinda rewards you'll be giving good karma-ians, I really think that this is similar to putting a permanent, small bounty on all people with good karma. That's... just not karma, if you get my meaning. xD

Unless the karma system isn't about encouraging people to think twice about being murderers, and more about having to be fair to everyone regardless if one's a saint or a demon?

Edit: I mean, I thought the point was to punish evil and reward good. Or is that not what the karma system is for? Is it just to add a little RPG aspect to the game, and you don't get punished for being bad or rewarded for being good?

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Unless the karma system isn't about encouraging people to think twice about being murderers, and more about having to be fair to everyone regardless if one's a saint or a demon?

Edit: I mean, I thought the point was to punish evil and reward good. Or is that not what the karma system is for? Is it just to add a little RPG aspect to the game, and you don't get punished for being bad or rewarded for being good?
It is indeed to punish evil doers, but we can't just solely punish evil doers and let good people go free. Yes, in the real world, good people have far fewer consequences vs evil people, but still, these modifiers would only take place at specific karma levels after you've killed say around 200 people or so.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
It is indeed to punish evil doers, but we can't just solely punish evil doers and let good people go free. Yes, in the real world, good people have far fewer consequences vs evil people, but still, these modifiers would only take place at specific karma levels after you've killed say around 200 people or so.
What about for those of us like me who don't PvP? We might have other ways of increasing karma, and if we get to the highest tier of good karma solely through non-PvP methods, we're basically being put on the spotlight and having a permanent bounty on our heads just because we're trying to help others.

Unless you have two versions of good karma, one for PvP (Killing evil PvP'ers) and another for PvE (Helping others in chat, planting flowers, making offerings at shrines, etc)?

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
What about for those of us like me who don't PvP? We might have other ways of increasing karma, and if we get to the highest tier of good karma solely through non-PvP methods, we're basically being put on the spotlight and having a permanent bounty on our heads just because we're trying to help others.

Unless you have two versions of good karma, one for PvP (Killing evil PvP'ers) and another for PvE (Helping others in chat, planting flowers, making offerings at shrines, etc)?
At the moment, there's no way of gaining karma aside from pvp.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
In general, it's more difficult to be "good" thus why it should have benefits, while it is extremely easy to be evil, thus why it shouldn't. Just my opinion, but really, being evil already has its own built-in benefit: you can do whatever you want whenever you want. Good aligned players have to be far more mindful of their actions to maintain that status, else they lose it. May as well just everyone be evil, since it's easier to maintain AND gives benefits. Why put forth the effort to be good if it's just as effective as being evil? In "real life" it's because there are repercussions for being evil. Even neutrality leans toward good, as evil is illegal/unwanted in a community.

I just don't see the need to penalize a player for being "good."
Maybe I'm not understanding properly though.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
At the moment, there's no way of gaining karma aside from pvp.
Ah, alrighty then. I assume there'll be changes in the future though.

Sad that us non-PvP'ers aren't able to try out the benefits, but at least I can see names now. If they aren't sneaking (Which they will be).

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The modifier system isnt in stone yet. We're making modifiers and using the ones we want and attaching - its completely configurable.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
In general, it's more difficult to be "good" thus why it should have benefits, while it is extremely easy to be evil, thus why it shouldn't. Just my opinion, but really, being evil already has its own built-in benefit: you can do whatever you want whenever you want. Good aligned players have to be far more mindful of their actions to maintain that status, else they lose it. May as well just everyone be evil, since it's easier to maintain AND gives benefits. Why put forth the effort to be good if it's just as effective as being evil? In "real life" it's because there are repercussions for being evil. Even neutrality leans toward good, as evil is illegal/unwanted in a community.

I just don't see the need to penalize a player for being "good."
Maybe I'm not understanding properly though.
I agree 100%. Evil players get mass rewards where as right now, you get nothing for being good.

Status
Not open for further replies.