• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Super Ultra Mega Thread of What You Want + Herocraft RPG

Pontus

TNT
So we already spoke one and one but I'll put my ideas here as well.

First of all, a big change is needed, like no more small little tweaks to our "Survival RPG", we should move away entirely from that and into something more streamlined and progression like similar to Wynncraft / Dungeon Realms but obviously different in our own way.

This is like a big revamp idea which would be really different to Herocraft as is...
  • A huge custom map full of builds that serve as dungeons (levelling / quests), dungeons (unique weapons), mines (ore regen), capture points for guilds to fight over territory. https://map.wynncraft.com/#/-20/64/-1449/min/0/0 Like this in some way
    • Some classes would serve as ports, porting around the map.
    • People also have mounts to travel.
  • No towns, guilds, not sure how storage of items works, maybe a huge backpack that doesn't drop? idk
  • Possible second world for building etc
  • Ranking system for guilds, ranked based of territories/land you own, fought over by pvp, this would serve the world pvp.
  • Ranking system for players, work their way up the leaderboard through pvp (arenas), quests, character building.
    • The ranking system would have leaderboards, showcased in game and on the forums.

I think its clear now thats Herocraft itself doesn't work, its level a class(es), build a town and pvp. The erge to play Herocraft is very much self driven / motivated, if you can't motivate yourself to login its pretty hard to play or find a reason to play.
What is wrong with towns? :)

Pontus

TNT
@Admins, @Heralds, @Moderators @Coders
For those of you who don't know me, I've been pounding the Herocraft name close to my chest for over 6 years. I love this server, I love the community (even you toxic trolls who never btfo).

I think we've come to a conclusion that no amount of money will work on advertising with our current setup. We have spent $3000 for two weeks of slots and received over 7500 unique new players. Of those, less than 10% have stayed more than a day or two. While this isn't an entire waste, it spread our influence and bolstered our 80,000 accounts to eblast and inform of new events and servers.
I am also involved with a group of people who are repeatedly in the top 10 servers in terms of population (Hypixel, Arkham, etc) they have been weighing in on Herocraft and giving much needed advice to make it #1 or reach the top 10 in terms of play-ability, here's a short list of improvements that must be made for our community to continue flourishing.
  1. Simplify Everything.
  2. Rebrand the server (re-release under a new name)
  3. Be slightly more "p2w" with store and clean up the useless shit
  4. Don't listen to your community on everything and have a backbone that cannot be compromised.
  5. Have a better gameplay option with handholding and IN YOUR FACE objectives
  6. LEADER BOARD EVERYTHING (in-game and out)
  7. Retention, players chewing through all your content in less than one week.
  8. Dump a portion of your earnings to advertising (YOUTUBE/SERVER LISTS)

Herocraft hasn't been just a hobby for me, for 3 years it served as my primary income while I made the transition of life into different areas, different partners and homes. It has given me a creative outlet that helped me cope with things going on around me. It was has been here in the Minecraft community for a very long time.

Here's a list of my own things below in what I think would thrive and flourish for a server and the community similar to Herocraft.
  • Simplified skills/classes
  • Good upgrade systems
  • SLOW LEVELING BUT INCREASE FUN. (Zeal.etc)
  • An in-depth Economy (5th path is Construction/Crafting)
  • Dungeons, Quests, Items
  • Introduce "Townships" as "Guilds" and later allow them to claim land and fight over it.
  • High End PVP arenas
  • High End PVP games
  • Leaderboards on Levels, Items, PVP, PVE, Minigames, Towns
  • Remove Survival gameplay as PRIMARY
  • Replace with "Dominions" as a personal area you can build/show your friends.
  • Add Survival/Townships as "alternative"
Based on the very good feedback from the network of server owners, I believe we need your input into what a "good" server has to offer and what you particularly want to see.
Please leave constructive feedback. I give you my time freely, this is my hobby, this is your fun, don't shit on it or bash it without reason or you wont be valued.
Is it necessary to change the name of the server? To rebrand? Can´t you just keep the name, but change the other things?

DeniedINC

Stone
Is it necessary to change the name of the server? To rebrand? Can´t you just keep the name, but change the other things?
I think rebranding will be good. Current players will know it's herocraft and other players that have played herocraft will give it another chance.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
So we already spoke one and one but I'll put my ideas here as well.

First of all, a big change is needed, like no more small little tweaks to our "Survival RPG", we should move away entirely from that and into something more streamlined and progression like similar to Wynncraft / Dungeon Realms but obviously different in our own way.

This is like a big revamp idea which would be really different to Herocraft as is...
  • A huge custom map full of builds that serve as dungeons (levelling / quests), dungeons (unique weapons), mines (ore regen), capture points for guilds to fight over territory. https://map.wynncraft.com/#/-20/64/-1449/min/0/0 Like this in some way
    • Some classes would serve as ports, porting around the map.
    • People also have mounts to travel.
  • No towns, guilds, not sure how storage of items works, maybe a huge backpack that doesn't drop? idk
  • Possible second world for building etc
  • Ranking system for guilds, ranked based of territories/land you own, fought over by pvp, this would serve the world pvp.
  • Ranking system for players, work their way up the leaderboard through pvp (arenas), quests, character building.
    • The ranking system would have leaderboards, showcased in game and on the forums.

I think its clear now thats Herocraft itself doesn't work, its level a class(es), build a town and pvp. The erge to play Herocraft is very much self driven / motivated, if you can't motivate yourself to login its pretty hard to play or find a reason to play.

Some controversial ideas here but I see what you mean. I don't really want the townships system to go away but we could use it in a world LIKE this as a method for small clans to build bases where there isn't already a region. We could reduce the chunk limits on every tier and stop calling them towns. They're really fortresses let's be honest here. People won't stop building them that way because their protection is the key motivator for building one of these.

Perhaps if there was an open PvP map for gathering (think warshard) to gather the mats you could build on your claimed region in an otherwise no-buildimg world of pre-made areas? That would be dope IMO

Just thought of this~
If we get a new map, I'd appreciate colder biomes and regions to the north, and warmer, perhaps tropical biomes in the south/near the middle of the map. Maybe a small south pole. Right now, everything is just scattered around.
Just to add a bit of realism? ;3

Last edited:
I really like everything, except townships as an alternative, could you expand on what that means?
Also Roaming boss with large hoards of mobs that come with them, incentivizing hunting them down for loot and xp, also exposing people to pop

• Bring back graveyards
  • bring back chest shops
Yes and yes! Graveyards made dying risky and fun. I liked the player shops near graveyards too.

Chest shops gave your profession more purpose and another way to interact with players, see custom shops people built and find sellers you knew had stuff you'd come back for. Miss this and it really appealed to me when I first started on the server.

Ampayne2

Retired Staff
Someone should code a custom item system

Like this would be cool :D

f18c1b09583a25c488d9750678ab8187.png

Xenthyr

Legacy Supporter 9
No... because killing a player takes more time and the player is able to run away increasing the time it takes. It is way more viable to level killing mobs... idk what you are on about.
It's not legitimate pvp I was talking about, but a few players that were just running out of spawn to kill each other repeatedly for free exp. Anyways, since multiple staff members apparently feel like I'm full of shit, feel free to delete or edit my post as you see fit. Apparently my opinion on the matter isn't welcome.

Aside from that, I agree on the points with the forum and wiki. Especially the wiki and with what I've read about the classes being re-balanced. Though I haven't been back to take a look at the class changes ingame, I'm pretty sure the wiki has a lot that needs to be updated accordingly.

---
Also, this: :)
Yes and yes! Graveyards made dying risky and fun. I liked the player shops near graveyards too.

Chest shops gave your profession more purpose and another way to interact with players, see custom shops people built and find sellers you knew had stuff you'd come back for. Miss this and it really appealed to me when I first started on the server.

I suppose I should throw in my 3 cents.

For the most part what @Jrr_ said sounds pretty cool, but since I'm already forgetting what he said and don't want to go back to that page, I'll just say some things about map/guild/whateverelsecomestomind ideas.

MAP:
I've seen some decent suggestions related to this. As far as keeping people interested, I agree that relatively huge map is necessary. I think biomes corresponding to latitude sounds nice, and also a large number of smaller dungeons scattered around the map that are blended into the landscape. Those two would help any RPers with immersion type stuff, and the large map would create a feeling of exploration.

On top of dungeons, there should be a large number of capture points which give tangible rewards, such as mines with ore veins at an increased respawn rate, temples that give minor exp boosts, castles that... do something, resource points that let you gather specific resources for item/guild upgrades, and mage towers that can act as warp points. These should only be fully accessible to the guilds that have currently captured them, but maybe a system where allied guilds that assisted in capturing the point but did not receive the final capture could still receive some smaller reward. That brings us to the next point:

GUILDS:
I like the general idea of a revised township, as well as what I vaguely remember being laid out in the first post. Basically, when a guild is first formed, you cannot claim land, but receive some sort of minor advantage in a small area within your guild's territory. In this zone, other players can still break/place blocks, it's just meant to give the defender bonus.

At a certain point and with x number of coins, you can purchase a GUILD HALL. This is a protected chunk which you are able to build in without non-members being able interact with it. Mayor's should be able to give out perms for who can place/break within this area. The other big part is that must have an entrance above ground, although it doesn't necessarily need to be accessible.

As guilds grow larger they can claim more chunks around their guild hall, as well as outposts which are protected, but this would be late game and require specific resources from the resource capture points which I talked about before.

ECONOMY:
Yeah, trade district stuff is good. Souls vs. gold I could go either way on, both have advantages. As far as combating inflation (which we have a lot of) gold would be better just because there's only a limited amount accessible to people through mining. Then you'd probably get some through quests and voting. But that reminds me:

QUESTS:
Quests are good. Have an NPC or two outside of a dungeon which tells you to kill a certain number of a specific mob, or get inside and retrieve an item. Other quests at trade market might be to gather a certain number of an item such as coal or redstone or lapis that might not otherwise have massive amounts of use for their lack of rarity. Then you would obviously have the NPC's in a "war-room" that tells you to kill X players or to capture a specific type of capture point (mine, castle, lumber mill, who knows) which would be the same for all players daily. Rewards depend on quests, but usually a good amount of exp and a small amount of coin.

PVP/RAIDING:
With the system I just proposed, most PvP would be around the capture points which are the focus of that day's daily capture quest. With the new guild system, raiding would not be as common, but guild wars (not a reference to guild wars game) could be in where each chunk acts as a capture point which, when captured, gives a reward through gold/resource to the capturer and must be repaired by the original guild through some gold/resource.

On top of this, we need a cool arena system. Ranks based on in-arena performance, where you can only have a specific matchup once per day in an attempt to prevent grinding, and points are given to rank based on W/L ratio of who they beat.

SPAWN:
So basically, you guys remember Solitude from Skyrim? How it's a peninsula and you have to walk through the whole city from the palace to entrance in order to leave? Make it like that, so that people walk through the trade district and past noble plots in order to leave, then you get to the hero gates. Spawn would be at the palace in this scenario. Also have a single common area which has the most expensive shops and some mini-games and a view of the arena (if it were to be in the main world and not instanced).

CHAT:
Just remembered this. To prevent clutter, make it similar to how WoW does it (just the example I can think of) where you have a region chat, a yell, a standard local, and a world-wide guild chat. This gives further incentive to congregate in spawn if you are looking for an item or just want to hang out. I'm not sure what the LFGuild would be, because I see advantages for it being either world-wide and local.

That's all I can really think of ATM. Please forgive spelling and lack of snazzy colors, I'm doing this on mobile.

TL;DR I think what some people suggested is pretty cool, but focus on a variety of activities.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Some of this may have been covered, as I have not the time or inclination to read everything in this thread.

At this stage major rework may be needed. However, if a major rework does take place it has to be the last one. One of the most damaging things this server has done to negatively affect player retention is the constant upheaval of major rework after major rework.

In any business the most important aspect of customer retention is reputation. That means once you establish a value offering you have to maintain that value consistently. Think back twenty years or so when Coca Cola tried to change its recipe. People who had been purchasing Coca Cola exclusively for years, perhaps decades were shocked to open a can of their favorite beverage only to find it tasted different than they expected. After a very short time Coca Cola switched back, but not before damaging their reputation and losing millions of customers to other brands.

Contrast that with a company like McDonald's, a company that while it has made small incremental improvements to its menu and it's delivery, has kept it's core offering nearly identical for at least 40 years. As a result it has probably the highest customer loyalty of any restaurant despite having only mediocre food.

If you are going to do another major rework, or rebrand, you MUST completely develop the content, and concept and have it fully functional before launch. Once launched you should make only small incremental improvements with each iteration. Any more "major reworks" need to be launched as new products.

I have already voiced my opinion on the need for a functional economy revolving around towns and crafting restrictions numerous times. You should not remove towns, you should make them part of the economy. NO trade district, NO global market, and NO ability for a combat class to create it's own weaponry.

Need a weapon, buy one from a Smith, who will of course need a shop, which without a TD or global market will need to be located in a town or town outpost. Need food, find a merchant, who can't grow or harvest wheat but can craft bread. The merchant will need to buy his wheat from a farmer, who will be able to grow wheat but not craft bread. Restrict oven use to Smith's and merchants, or make it so only farmers get food drops for crops. Chest shops should be restricted to Smith's and merchants as well.

Towns would need to compete to attract the best players from each profession, including the combat professions. PvP towns would not be able to troll everyone because they would need the other professions to get gear and food. Towns would need to trade with other towns for anything they were unable to attract someone to make for them.

It's called economic interdependence, and it's what keeps the civilized world from falling permanently into chaos.

It is also what gets people moving in the morning. In the real world it means I get up earlier than you and make more widgets so I can have more of the things I want.

In a game it means I will be motivated to log on everyday to keep my chest shop full. But it only works if everyone has to buy their stuff from someone, and I have a chance it will be me. If the only reason to buy from my chest shop is if you are lazy today, what's the point of logging on?

An added benefit, class changes will present a completely different player experience, adding new depth to the experience of leveling a new class

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
It's not legitimate pvp I was talking about, but a few players that were just running out of spawn to kill each other repeatedly for free exp. Anyways, since multiple staff members apparently feel like I'm full of shit, feel free to delete or edit my post as you see fit. Apparently my opinion on the matter isn't welcome.

Leveling off PvP is probably the worst way to do it. If they really were grinding off one another, it should be reported either via PM or in the exploit section. I highly doubt they were doing so to grind XP, it was most likely a noob running out an dying to a group of gankers, or people PvPing near Diamond.

We should honestly not even give xp to non legendary classes for PvP kills.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
@Kainzo the issue with the server is that you cannot make the vets happy while making the new players happy.

Minecraft is mainly edgy tweens and if you want to grow, you need to make them happy and instantly feel powerful.

Your vets are mainly 16-30+ who like a focus on building, raiding, MMORPG-Themed pvp.

Personally, I'd just quit trying to make Herocraft and focus on making your own game with its own demographic. You will never make us Vets happy while making the new generation of instant gratification happy. As a personal example: Most of Newerth wants to have a huge build project and wants to compete in town tiers with other towns. Then some of us want to run the wilds and fight players who are exploring or at the very least, bounty hunt. Also, raiding is a very fun time. We love finding ways into towns. Me personally, I love spending all my time leveling and the curve. A sandbox RPG should never be "Fair" whether or not that's because some classes excel at certain situations or if there is a pit that you just lost 3 men to. That is what I come back to Herocraft for, its what I loved about Mortal Online and its why I still love BDO.

The issue with our goals and our wants is that we are slowly becoming the minority. Which means if you were to change the server against us, we would (logically) quit and you'd have very little luck getting players of our age in game and IRL. However, this is the only way to grow with new players. You either have complexity or you hold the hands of your players. You become Dark Souls or you become Hello Kitty Adventures Online.

My opinion (As I know your original stance on game making), is that you make the game clear that it is hard. This way new players will know what they are in for at the very least. Add in tons of PvE content, but aim for something between WoW and Runescape. You can hate both games all you like, they both manage to do PvE better than most other MMOs. Take from WoW the increasing and optional difficulty levels to instanced dungeons and maybe even raids. Instead of straight gear, maybe it drops town mats or cash shop items. Then take from Runescape and make all the quests adventures. No stupid "Give me some bones" bullshit. I'm talking ruined village, you show up and a dying man gives you his final request. Sends you to kill a lone demon and when you do, you then get his horn as a dagger weapon. Real progression can be just story information even. Quest chains, Quest requirements, etc. Maybe you do daily quests to get your dungeon and raid tickets.

Then PvP content. This is where you can't hold the hands of your playerbase. Overworld objectives need to be less centralized and easy to get to. Fighting over a castle should be an event. Maybe replace the Herogates with spires for mages or if we move to professions having ports, that would be fine too. Make more objectives. EXP castles, Town Mats castles, grinding spot castles, etc. Make exploring the world matter for pvp. On top of that, town raiding. We should emphasize that bigger numbers means you are safer. War should effect everyone. If you are getting stomped on, then you need to join forces with someone. (An example of this is back in Zeal when Shiroku started shit with every town on the map, so every town joined up and raided them. 5 people stomped on for 3 hours by 40 people in their own town.) This could bring back political talks. If you want to be a smaller town, you might need to lay low or maybe you need protection. More on this below. Next is PvP arenas. I think it would be cool if you brought your own items, but lost nothing (Except maybe the money you spent to join and durability). Only maxed level players can join and it costs around 100-200 coins to join a match. Rewards should not be money, but maybe some type of token for special items or maybe even town materials/cash shop items.

Towns. An endgame situation that needs to reward players with more than bragging rights. If you do make leaderboards, this is a great thing to include. Make towns require an actual cost to enter, but bar them from war (Both ways) for some time. 2 weeks+. Any tier can war and winning a war does not reward money. It instead rewards town materials. Towns that lose wars, lose both money and town mats. We NEED a way to check war status and score for this to work though. Maybe even as a temp fix, make it so war can only go in on a town with 25% of their players online. Then we need Alliance benefits. You can opt into wars from other aligned towns and anything they win is partially given to the aligned town. This could also effect castles in having a portion of the spoils also be given to your alliance (Or kingdom even). We need a reason to have politics again. Most players don't even bother with towns let alone politics. Having a town should allow players to create a community and keep stuff safe. Locked chests only work in regions maybe? No more safe zone chests. But keep in mind, safety in numbers, always have the looming threat of invasion. Maybe town benefits could include "Godly Favors" which give home field advantages (Only to the town members). Like increased HP, mana regen, reduced cooldowns, more damage, etc. Maybe even more we could make it so that the leader of a larger town (T6+) can rally his party with a similar buff (Not sure how you'd do this, maybe make it another class hidden behind the title of mayor with one skill). Alternatively, towns could play a part in making an economy. Factory type buildings that produce town mats (If we can make buildings recognized by towns) and more strict restrictions on biome material gathering. Add like 3+ more town mats.

Conclusion: The server could try to be both hardcore and easy going. With tiered pve and less centralized pvp, we can ease new players into the experience without scaring them off. If we had a story, we'd keep a grasp on the younger cringe lords. The story doesn't even have to be cringey, those RP kiddies are leeches. This story could play out in quests. Then on the more sandbox note, towns just need a purpose and it should be equal parts risk as it is reward. If you are too small, you join the big guys. Things can be easy, but I think the moment you hold their hands, is the moment you ruin what Herocraft is about.

At which point, you should just make a mini-game server.

just going to say i am new to the server and it's been just under 2 weeks and i have put money to the server and what i think about the server is mixed i do think that the server shop needs more done with it as well as more things to do on the server apart from pvp. so far i think more needs to be added to pve like boss battles and areas where you can team up with friends to kill mobs (and not a dark room) also i do think that money on the server (coins) are a bit of a pain to get mostly because of the shops and they way you have to make money. i would also like to say "spawners" it would be nice if there was a way to pick them up like a command that you have to pay for or unlock then dark rooms would not be a big thing in every town on the server. but i do have more to say mostly about players i seen in most times players being mean (toxic) to others but i think that is from pvp at spawn and my last thing i would like to say is staff tbh the staff are nice and word working they don't put up with any hackers and get to the point what i like to see. that is all i have to say i hope that the server will keep it's good rep.

Piptendo

The Trade Prince
Staff member
Max Legacy Supporter
Functionally, all I want to see is:

-Taking the RPG elements of Herocraft and putting them in an ACTUAL RPG setting

-Storage could be handled by "banks," microtransactions could increase bank size by an amount of slots (extra pages?)

-Guilds are a must-have. Groups of players who can share one large bank together (also expandable)
-=Guilds should have their own leveling system complete with perks like shorter cooldowns on /spawn type of thing, extra move speed in cities, maybe extra bonuses to crafting items in terms of a chance to create more than one item

-Touching crafting mentioned above, a fleshed out crafting system with professions that restrict recipes, I.E. Jewelcrafters make the gems to socket into weapons, Blacksmiths can augment the weapons with extra sockets/special sockets/create weapons themselves.
-=And crafting materials can be looted from these dungeons.

-Elaborating on Vic's suggestion in terms of server difficulty, incorporating different difficulties on each dungeon so to increase replayability of them. Perhaps dungeons follow a set progression from levels 1 to 50, then once you hit 50 add a mode akin to "heroic" or "mythic", something with HC's flavor, and scale all dungeons to be equally difficult with added mechanics and stuff.

I know I've shared a plethora of ideas with Kainzo in Discord, but I'm excited to see what the future holds. I'm also aware of the incoherence of this post. I've been a part of this community for five and a half long years. The "Survival RPG" flavor, much like the long lasting flavor of Juicy Fruit, has finally become stale. Let's make this different. Let's make this stand out.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
@Kainzo Towns. An endgame situation that needs to reward players with more than bragging rights. If you do make leaderboards, this is a great thing to include. Make towns require an actual cost to enter, but bar them from war (Both ways) for some time. 2 weeks+. Any tier can war and winning a war does not reward money. It instead rewards town materials. Towns that lose wars, lose both money and town mats. We NEED a way to check war status and score for this to work though. Maybe even as a temp fix, make it so war can only go in on a town with 25% of their players online.
What I would like to see is during the week (Monday - Thursday) you can declare war on a town, then the war will take place that weekend (Saturday-Sunday). This can give people time to prepare, as well as hope more people are online.