• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Super Ultra Mega Thread of What You Want + Herocraft RPG

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Yes, i understand, it just felt like my idéa was wrong, that´s all. But i agree that Herocraft should be different. :)
not necessarily wrong just differing opinions :p

Also for the record I don't think a combo based system for using skills is a bad idea. IMO giving people more options of how they want to bind/use their stills isn't necessarily a bad thing but giving people too many options in the beginning can cause confusion and make people overwhelmed so. There is a fine balance to reach and whichever system we choose to focus on in the end we should make an appropriate tutorial that properly teaches people how to use their skills.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I have to agree with just about everything said here. I might not completely agree while a gold system is simpler I don't think it would solve the problem with our currency system. currently the coins value of souls is significantly lower than the value of experience you gain by eating them. the value of large soul fragments is almost 5th time cheaper than the 1000exp crystals sold in /shop

1k experience crystals are 250c

1000/75 = 13.333
13.333*5 = 66 666

I think it says a lot about the perceived value of souls shards vs what they're bought for by the server when I spent a couple of days trying to buy them for higher prices than the exchange and didn't manage to buy a single soul shard in that time.
The original incentive (Before Exp crystals) was to get people to decide, do I sell these for money or use them as XP? They were the best way to level legendaries for a short time before crystals were sold.

With the ease of buying things in /shop, there's no reason to eat the soul items, since you can purchase 1000 xp instead.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I have to agree with just about everything said here. I might not completely agree while a gold system is simpler I don't think it would solve the problem with our currency system. currently the coins value of souls is significantly lower than the value of experience you gain by eating them. the value of large soul fragments is almost 5th time cheaper than the 1000exp crystals sold in /shop

1k experience crystals are 250c

1000/75 = 13.333
13.333*5 = 66 666

I think it says a lot about the perceived value of souls shards vs what they're bought for by the server when I spent a couple of days trying to buy them for higher prices than the exchange and didn't manage to buy a single soul shard in that time.
To further expand on the principal of economic interdependence:

Gold should be the currency standard, but should not be purchased by the server at the exchange. Smelting of gold ore should yield only golld nuggets for everyone but Smith's. Smith's should get ingots from smelting and be he only class able to convert gold nuggets to gold ingots. To convert gold ingots to currency the ingots should need to be sold to a merchant, who would make the conversion using a command.

Souls should follow the same principal but with drastically lower values based on their quantity.

By creating economic interdependence you would make it difficult for one lone a** to have the resources necessary to constantly harass people. Even large groups of players who's inclination is to harass would be some what restrained by the need to recruit and protect the various crafting classes.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
The original incentive (Before Exp crystals) was to get people to decide, do I sell these for money or use them as XP? They were the best way to level legendaries for a short time before crystals were sold.

With the ease of buying things in /shop, there's no reason to eat the soul items, since you can purchase 1000 xp instead.
Except that it's vastly cheaper to eat the soul items than to buy the experience crystals in the shop so I'm failing to see your argument there.

Like I said in my post it's almost 5 times cheaper to eat soul items than to buy the crystals.

I could currently buy large soul fragments for double their current price at dhx and still get Exp from them more cost efficiently than buying them from /shop.

My argument here is that currently the coins you get from the souls are not as valuable as the Exp you get from each soul shard

Last edited:

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Except that it's vastly cheaper to eat the soul items than to buy the experience crystals in the shop so I'm failing to see your argument there.

Like I said in my post it's almost 5 times cheaper to eat soul items than to buy the crystals.
I coulda sworn it was evened out,my bad. I just woke up and misread your thing. I know the intention was there. Xp crystals weren't originally in the shop, they were a prize from loot crates.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
To further expand on the principal of economic interdependence:

Gold should be the currency standard, but should not be purchased by the server at the exchange. Smelting of gold ore should yield only golld nuggets for everyone but Smith's. Smith's should get ingots from smelting and be he only class able to convert gold nuggets to gold ingots. To convert gold ingots to currency the ingots should need to be sold to a merchant, who would make the conversion using a command.

Souls should follow the same principal but with drastically lower values based on their quantity.

By creating economic interdependence you would make it difficult for one lone a** to have the resources necessary to constantly harass people. Even large groups of players who's inclination is to harass would be some what restrained by the need to recruit and protect the various crafting classes.
The only issue I see is that lone wolf players won't ever get anywhere then. People shouldn't be punished for playing solo. They don't need to be rewarded either, but not letting them make money unless they choose smith is silly. Bring back Bankers and have them be able to sell gold to the exchange.

*Double post cause I'm on my phone

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
The only issue I see is that lone wolf players won't ever get anywhere then. People shouldn't be punished for playing solo. They don't need to be rewarded either, but not letting them make money unless they choose smith is silly. Bring back Bankers and have them be able to sell gold to the exchange.

Honestly we removed the idea of bankers in the first place because it just creates a system where the rich get richer. that was the reason we removed it in the first place.

I think soul shards can work but the inherent problems with it currently is that coins aren't as valuable as they used to be due to a lack of things to spend them on not just talking about money sinks but the general lack of trade currently.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6

They would be able to make money. They would just have to come out of their hidey holes occasionally to do so. Also they would have to on good terms with at least one town.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Honestly we removed the idea of bankers in the first place because it just creates a system where the rich get richer. that was the reason we removed it in the first place.

I think soul shards can work but the inherent problems with it currently is that coins aren't as valuable as they used to be due to a lack of things to spend them on not just talking about money sinks but the general lack of trade currently.
If a merchant can't craft anything but can convert money the rich won't just get richer. They will have to trade money for value. In the old system bankers converted money but could also play both a combat and a crafting class, making it possible for them to hoard the profit. If merchants had only limited combat ability, and limited crafting ability, they would be forced to, or at least it would be very favorable for them to, trade their created currency for much of what they need to play, including protection from bandits. If those traded to also needed to trade for much of what they need and so on, everyone would have a chance to share in the profit. This is the foundation of any working economy real or pretend.

Half of the posts in this thread talk about the lack of a working economy. You will never have a working economy without this most basic economic principal.

Last edited:

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
If a merchant can't craft anything but can convert money the rich won't just get richer. They will have to trade money for value. In the old system bankers converted money but could also play both a combat and a crafting class, making it possible for them to hoard the profit. If merchants had only limited combat ability, and limited crafting ability, they would be forced to, or at least it would be very favorable for them to, trade their created currency for much of what they need to play, including protection from bandits. If those traded to also needed to trade for much of what they need and so on, everyone would have a chance to share in the profit. This is the foundation of any working economy real or pretend.

Half of the posts in this thread talk about the lack of a working economy. You will never have a working economy without this most basic economic principal.
no but as zelcova said it punishes players than don't pick say merchant or smiths. Punishing players because of the class they pick isn't a good system.

However I do agree that in order for the economy to be brought back some level of interdependency is needed. I just disagree with the implementation you suggested. This could be achieved through methods of crafting weapon/equipment upgrades for example

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
no but as zelcova said it punishes players than don't pick say merchant or smiths. Punishing players because of the class they pick isn't a good system.

However I do agree that in order for the economy to be brought back some level of interdependency is needed. I just disagree with the implementation you suggested. This could be achieved through methods of crafting weapon/equipment upgrades for example
With what I'm suggesting Smith's and Merchants would have no real advantage. Sure they can make money, but what are they going to eat? Better talk to a farmer. How are will they defend themselves and their property? Better talk to someone who is a combat professional.

You could even restrict crafting of certain building materials to other classes. Make each class have something which is essential to all the others. I won't matter how much money a merchant has if they are going to starve to death or be constantly killed. It won't matter how many tools a Smith can make if they can't build a chest to sell them with. It won't matter how much food a farmer has if they can't make tools. And so on.

Each crafting class must be dependent upon the others for something they need as well as on the combat classes for protection. And each combat class must be dependent on the different crafting classes for everything they need.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
With what I'm suggesting Smith's and Merchants would have no real advantage. Sure they can make money, but what are they going to eat? Better talk to a farmer. How are will they defend themselves and their property? Better talk to someone who is a combat professional.

You could even restrict crafting of certain building materials to other classes. Make each class have something which is essential to all the others. I won't matter how much money a merchant has if they are going to starve to death or be constantly killed. It won't matter how many tools a Smith can make if they can't build a chest to sell them with. It won't matter how much food a farmer has if they can't make tools. And so on.

Each crafting class must be dependent upon the others for something they need as well as on the combat classes for protection. And each combat class must be dependent on the different crafting classes for everything they need.
Yes they would have n advantage because they'd control the only point at which money is introduced into the economy. That is a bottleneck which is what causes problems. Allow all classes the ability to generate coins equally but create other dependencies that force them to trade. The problem currently is that trading doesn't occur because:
  1. Half of the enchanted items can now never break and the enchanting system is very unintuitive because there isn't an explanation anywhere.
  2. Merchants have nothing to trade because reagents have been removed, they can't make villagers anymore to produce emeralds, chest shops have been destroyed by the global market and the lack of anywhere good to put them.
  3. Farmers leather armour is always worse than what drops in the wild from mobs and just about anyone can make at least some food to sustain themselves as you cannot completely limit what food can be crafted
  4. Engineers are always that wild card which is always hit and miss to whether people use or not.
  5. Alchemists aren't needed as much because the majority of the alchemist only items are no longer town requirements or can be bought through /shop however some of the potions they can make are somewhat useful.
  6. Runesmiths aren't needed anymore because people can teleport to their towns and spawn on short cooldowns so they only thing they're good for is creating runestones for the nether.
  7. Blacksmiths are always useful because they're the only ones that can create chain armour.
  8. Miner is just miner it doesn't really have anything to buy or sell it's mostly a utility profession to allow you to mine more efficiently.
The problem is that the decisions that have been made in other areas have made most things the crafting classes had useless to buy or sell. It's no single thing that has destroyed the economy but an accumulation of all the little decisions that were made in systems not directly related to the crafting classes.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Yes they would have n advantage because they'd control the only point at which money is introduced into the economy. That is a bottleneck which is what causes problems. Allow all classes the ability to generate coins equally but create other dependencies that force them to trade. The problem currently is that trading doesn't occur because:
  1. Half of the enchanted items can now never break and the enchanting system is very unintuitive because there isn't an explanation anywhere.
  2. Merchants have nothing to trade because reagents have been removed, they can't make villagers anymore to produce emeralds, chest shops have been destroyed by the global market and the lack of anywhere good to put them.
  3. Farmers leather armour is always worse than what drops in the wild from mobs and just about anyone can make at least some food to sustain themselves as you cannot completely limit what food can be crafted
  4. Engineers are always that wild card which is always hit and miss to whether people use or not.
  5. Alchemists aren't needed as much because the majority of the alchemist only items are no longer town requirements or can be bought through /shop however some of the potions they can make are somewhat useful.
  6. Runesmiths aren't needed anymore because people can teleport to their towns and spawn on short cooldowns so they only thing they're good for is creating runestones for the nether.
  7. Blacksmiths are always useful because they're the only ones that can create chain armour.
  8. Miner is just miner it doesn't really have anything to buy or sell it's mostly a utility profession to allow you to mine more efficiently.
The problem is that the decisions that have been made in other areas have made most things the crafting classes had useless to buy or sell. It's no single thing that has destroyed the economy but an accumulation of all the little decisions that were made in systems not directly related to the crafting classes.
You make some good points here. However I think you can eliminate much of the advantage by making the cost to go Smith or merchant very high, like 10 to 20 times that of other classes. That way you would need to make your fortune in some other trade first, then maintain the class for some time to achieve a good ROI. No getting rich quick.

You can use custom drops to prevent classes other than farmer from getting food stuffs and use oven restrictions to keep folks from being able to cook food they may come across.

I agree that many of the changes have reduced the profitability of certain classes, these changes should be reversed. No global market as I said previously. Restrict something essential like chests or doors, stairs perhaps to engineer.

Restrict iron+ picks to miner and or give them increased drops.
Give every class something essential to the others.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
You make some good points here. Hoever I think you can eliminate much of the advantage by making the cost to go Smith or merchant very high, like 10 to 20 times that of other classes. That way you would need to make your fortune in some other trade first, then maintain the class for some time to achieve a good ROI. No getting rich quick.

You can use custom drops to prevent classes other than farmer from getting food stuffs and use oven restrictions to keep folks from being able to cook food they may come across.

I agree that many of the changes have reduced the profitability of certain classes, these changes should be reversed. No global market as I said previously. Restrict something essential like chests or doors, stairs perhaps to engineer.

Restrict iron+ picks to miner and or give them increased drops.
Give every class something essential to the others.
Again I'm not talking about "getting rich quick" in this senario. I'm talking about you recuding what everyone else can get for their hard earned goods. It creates an uneven platform which punished people for not going those classes. Plus your suggesting giving this to pretty much one of the only classes that is still useful in the current standing of things (smith) which only further serves to punish those that don't pick the class.

In addition your idea to restrict iron + pickaxes to miner is an even worse idea considering that give miners the monopoly on redstone, emerald, gold & diamond. Which is especially idiotic considering your suggesting to move to a gold only economy which would mean miners are the only ones that can produce wealth. Not to mention the only reasonable way to level certain classes like smith, enchanter, engineer and some of the others is to MINE. You'd be removing the only viable way of leveling over 1/3 of the professions.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Again I'm not talking about "getting rich quick" in this senario. I'm talking about you recuding what everyone else can get for their hard earned goods. It creates an uneven platform which punished people for not going those classes. Plus your suggesting giving this to pretty much one of the only classes that is still useful in the current standing of things (smith) which only further serves to punish those that don't pick the class.

In addition your idea to restrict iron + pickaxes to miner is an even worse idea considering that give miners the monopoly on redstone, emerald, gold & diamond. Which is especially idiotic considering your suggesting to move to a gold only economy which would mean miners are the only ones that can produce wealth. Not to mention the only reasonable way to level certain classes like smith, enchanter, engineer and some of the others is to MINE. You'd be removing the only viable way of leveling over 1/3 of the professions.
I have actually seen restrictions like this work. It's not theory it's practice. We need to feed the desire to acquire.
Economic interdependence is the foundation of every functional economy. The desire to acquire is the locomotive of trade.
If you can satisfy your desire to acquire through only the value you yourself can create, there is no need to interact with the community. So what if only miners can get the resources necessary for currency, they will need to purchase their tools and sustenance from someone. So what if they have all the redstone, what the hell are they going to do with it it they can't build anything?

If your worried about a currency bottle neck buy gold at the exchange for 7.5 and allow them to convert it for 9 this would create a profit potential and make trading with merchants favorable but not necessary.

For a system like I'm suggesting to work you would need to make being a combat class and a merchant impossible. That will limit who wants to be a merchant, as they would have to chose between running a business and being a great fighter. They could have some limited combat ability but nothing substantial.

If you can't find another way to level engineer, like say experience for crafting and placing crafted materials related to their profession, give them iron picks, not diamond and have drops less for professions other than miner.

In order for an economy to work we need to make the most profitable activity for any class to be engaging in the things only that class can do. For a miner mining, for an engineer building, a farmer farming, a merchant trading, and so on down the line.

A system like this can be built. I have seen it work. To envision it though you need to stop thinking about how you've done it in the past, or how it is under the current system, and start thinking about what makes the most sense moving forward, and how to get there. We are talking about massive overhaul are we not?

A system of economic interdependence, driven by the desire to acquire, has been proven time and again to be the most stable, most productive, fairest, and most viable economic system.

Maybe I have the wrong idea on how to get there, but you certainly won't get there dismissing ideas as idiotic, that is an emotional reaction. We need logical thought. Only through rational, logical though can we manipulate the emotional drivers of others. Which is what you really need to do to keep people logging in. Emotional manipulation through the desire to acquire, and the feeling that others are counting on you.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I have actually seen restrictions like this work. It's not theory it's practice. We need to feed the desire to acquire.
Economic interdependence is the foundation of every functional economy. The desire to acquire is the locomotive of trade.
If you can satisfy your desire to acquire through only the value you yourself can create, there is no need to interact with the community. So what if only miners can get the resources necessary for currency, they will need to purchase their tools and sustenance from someone. So what if they have all the redstone, what the hell are they going to do with it it they can't build anything?

If your worried about a currency bottle neck buy gold at the exchange for 7.5 and allow them to convert it for 9 this would create a profit potential and make trading with merchants favorable but not necessary.

For a system like I'm suggesting to work you would need to make being a combat class and a merchant impossible. That will limit who wants to be a merchant, as they would have to chose between running a business and being a great fighter. They could have some limited combat ability but nothing substantial.

If you can't find another way to level engineer, like say experience for crafting and placing crafted materials related to their profession, give them iron picks, not diamond and have drops less for professions other than miner.

In order for an economy to work we need to make the most profitable activity for any class to be engaging in the things only that class can do. For a miner mining, for an engineer building, a farmer farming, a merchant trading, and so on down the line.

A system like this can be built. I have seen it work. To envision it though you need to stop thinking about how you've done it in the past, or how it is under the current system, and start thinking about what makes the most sense moving forward, and how to get there. We are talking about massive overhaul are we not?

A system of economic interdependence, driven by the desire to acquire, has been proven time and again to be the most stable, most productive, fairest, and most viable economic system.

Maybe I have the wrong idea on how to get there, but you certainly won't get there dismissing ideas as idiotic, that is an emotional reaction. We need logical thought. Only through rational, logical though can we manipulate the emotional drivers of others. Which is what you really need to do to keep people logging in. Emotional manipulation through the desire to acquire, and the feeling that others are counting on you.
A lot of these paths herocraft has been down before and they weren't good. While I agree that you should make what that profession does more engaging and interesting I disagree with your methodology. What you're suggesting should not be done by further restricting other classes but by introducing new ways for them to be useful and unique.

A lot of what you're trying to achieve I agree with but you're going about it the wrong way and are making random suggestions without thinking about the concequences.

Again related to the miner thing about them getting more drops this is something we already have and we have done it without restricting what other classes can do. Even by limiting those classes to iron pickaxes you're reducing their ability to earn experience as iron pickaxes mine far slower than diamond pickaxes, can't be enchanted as well and break far more often which means you have to carry more of them and spend more money than the miner in order to level your class.

The flaw with crafting experience is it's highly inefficient and it needs to be otherwise it is too easily exploited to power level professions same with gaining experience for placing objects you would need to make the experience so low that they would need to just constantly break and place pistons or whatever gives them the most experience to level which is the least engaging thing ever.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting the idea from that I'm reacting emotionally. If you actually read what I'm saying to you when I'm responding I'm explaining why those ideas won't work or are a bad idea. I thinking them through and telling you why the idea won't work because you don't seem to be doing that for your own ideas currently as you're missing glaringly obvoius flaws.If you took offense to the way I've worded things in previous I apologise but I am by no means reacting without logic or thought.

Last edited:

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
A lot of these paths herocraft has been down before and they weren't good. While I agree that you should make what that profession does more engaging and interesting I disagree with your methodology. What you're suggesting should not be done by further restricting other classes but by introducing new ways for them to be useful and unique.

A lot of what you're trying to achieve I agree with but you're going about it the wrong way and are making random suggestions without thinking about the concequences.

Again related to the miner thing about them getting more drops this is something we already have and we have done it without restricting what other classes can do. Even by limiting those classes to iron pickaxes you're reducing their ability to earn experience as iron pickaxes mine far slower than diamond pickaxes, can't be enchanted as well and break far more often which means you have to carry more of them and spend more money than the miner in order to level your class.

The flaw with crafting experience is it's highly inefficient and it needs to be otherwise it is too easily exploited to power level professions same with gaining experience for placing objects you would need to make the experience so low that they would need to just constantly break and place pistons or whatever gives them the most experience to level which is the least engaging thing ever.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting the idea from that I'm reacting emotionally. If you actually read what I'm saying to you when I'm responding I'm explaining why those ideas won't work or are a bad idea. I thinking them through and telling you why the idea won't work because you don't seem to be doing that for your own ideas currently as you're missing glaringly obvoius flaws.If you took offense to the way I've worded things in previous I apologise but I am by no means reacting without logic or thought.
What I am saying is that they can work. I know they can work because I have seen them work on another server. I have played a server where only miners could mine, only farmers could farm, only Smith's could make tools, only merchants could create currency, and only combat classes could wield advanced combat capabilities.

What you don't realize is that you are thinking about ideas that I know for a fact work and are proposing to think about them rationally and then tell me why they can't work. You are making the same arguments that they naysayers used on that server when the changes were originally proposed. Myself included. As a self proclaimed hermit and avid solo player I was furiously pronouncing all the reasons it couldn't work. Except it did work. I went from probably the wealthiest solo hoarder on the server to the most productive merchant because of my desire to acquire.

I even ended up running 5 towns at once and helping countless others become successful. Class restrictions forced me out of my shell , and I watched them have the same effect on others. I watched hundreds of players come on and say "What, I can't make my own tools, that's stupid!" Only to be convincing new players to stay after a week.

You are telling me it can't work because you cannot envision how it would. I am telling you it does work because I have seen it first hand.
The downfall of the server I speak of was related to the server owner being in grad school and not being able to dedicate the time required to fix broken plugins and mechanics. When the server started dying I brought about 20 of the better players here. We saw how unique the plugin was and recognized it's potential to be not only flexible but highly immersive.

Instead the server has become more and more superficial. More flash, less substance. Flash might bring people in the door but they will lose interest quickly. The server I am talking about didn't get enough players coming in to be huge, due to the same reasons it eventually died, but almost everyone that logged in for more than a few minutes stayed long term.

There was a place for everyone. There were large groups of bandits. But they had to recruit some non bandits to make their gear, creating an opportunity for bonds that would normally not be made. Large empires like mine paid substantial amounts of currency to the best warriors and thief's to counter harass the bandits. This was possible because as a highly successful business I was able to offer them good pay and reduced gear prices as well as a sense of purpose they could not have found on their own.

If you want to say you don't think you would like what I am proposing because of x, fine, never having experienced it for yourself you have no point of reference for how much you would likely enjoy it.

As for whether or not it can work, I know from personal experience that it absolutely can work, and does not create the imbalance you think it will. It rather fosters an enhanced sense of community and cooperation.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
What I am saying is that they can work. I know they can work because I have seen them work on another server. I have played a server where only miners could mine, only farmers could farm, only Smith's could make tools, only merchants could create currency, and only combat classes could wield advanced combat capabilities.

What you don't realize is that you are thinking about ideas that I know for a fact work and are proposing to think about them rationally and then tell me why they can't work. You are making the same arguments that they naysayers used on that server when the changes were originally proposed. Myself included. As a self proclaimed hermit and avid solo player I was furiously pronouncing all the reasons it couldn't work. Except it did work. I went from probably the wealthiest solo hoarder on the server to the most productive merchant because of my desire to acquire.

I even ended up running 5 towns at once and helping countless others become successful. Class restrictions forced me out of my shell , and I watched them have the same effect on others. I watched hundreds of players come on and say "What, I can't make my own tools, that's stupid!" Only to be convincing new players to stay after a week.

You are telling me it can't work because you cannot envision how it would. I am telling you it does work because I have seen it first hand.
The downfall of the server I speak of was related to the server owner being in grad school and not being able to dedicate the time required to fix broken plugins and mechanics. When the server started dying I brought about 20 of the better players here. We saw how unique the plugin was and recognized it's potential to be not only flexible but highly immersive.

Instead the server has become more and more superficial. More flash, less substance. Flash might bring people in the door but they will lose interest quickly. The server I am talking about didn't get enough players coming in to be huge, due to the same reasons it eventually died, but almost everyone that logged in for more than a few minutes stayed long term.

There was a place for everyone. There were large groups of bandits. But they had to recruit some non bandits to make their gear, creating an opportunity for bonds that would normally not be made. Large empires like mine paid substantial amounts of currency to the best warriors and thief's to counter harass the bandits. This was possible because as a highly successful business I was able to offer them good pay and reduced gear prices as well as a sense of purpose they could not have found on their own.

If you want to say you don't think you would like what I am proposing because of x, fine, never having experienced it for yourself you have no point of reference for how much you would likely enjoy it.

As for whether or not it can work, I know from personal experience that it absolutely can work, and does not create the imbalance you think it will. It rather fosters an enhanced sense of community and cooperation.
And the problem with what you're doing is you're saying "it worked in this place" without explaining the full picture of what changes were made. Just giving one of two pieces which don't work on their own. I'm not talking about making the server "flashy" or having less substance I'm suggesting adding more content in rather than restricting the current content. But I completely agree this server has lost it's way and is highly supercificial at present. It's why we're having a problem with player retention because there really isn't a lot to do that is meaningful and interesting.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
And the problem with what you're doing is you're saying "it worked in this place" without explaining the full picture of what changes were made. Just giving one of two pieces which don't work on their own. I'm not talking about making the server "flashy" or having less substance I'm suggesting adding more content in rather than restricting the current content. But I completely agree this server has lost it's way and is highly supercificial at present. It's why we're having a problem with player retention because there really isn't a lot to do that is meaningful and interesting.[/QUOTE

The biggest change is that experience was changed so that it was class related. Ex.Farmers leveled up through farming, other activities provided little or no experience. Drops were changed so non farmers received only seeds and at a much reduced rate.
Only Smith could make tools , weapons, and armor
Ovens were restricted to Smith and Merchant
Only merchants could make bread or other food objects
Apple drops were severely restricted for all but farmer
All non combat professions were severely restricted in combat capabilities. All combat professions were severely restricted in their ability to craft.
Chest shop placement was restricted to Smith and Merchant
Towns became essential as did trade.
Each class was given something essential that only it could do. Making interdependence completely necessary to experience the full game.
This made political interdependence between towns also necessary, as well as causing fierce competition to attract the best talent by offering unique attributes other towns didn't have and having a great aesthetic

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
The biggest change is that experience was changed so that it was class related. Ex.Farmers leveled up through farming, other activities provided little or no experience. Drops were changed so non farmers received only seeds and at a much reduced rate.
Only Smith could make tools , weapons, and armor
Ovens were restricted to Smith and Merchant
Only merchants could make bread or other food objects
Apple drops were severely restricted for all but farmer
All non combat professions were severely restricted in combat capabilities. All combat professions were severely restricted in their ability to craft.
Chest shop placement was restricted to Smith and Merchant
Towns became essential as did trade.
Each class was given something essential that only it could do. Making interdependence completely necessary to experience the full game.
This made political interdependence between towns also necessary, as well as causing fierce competition to attract the best talent by offering unique attributes other towns didn't have and having a great aesthetic
It also provided motivation to be on regularly. If you weren't trying to get ahead then you were falling behind