• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

ALERT The Final Stand - New Era/Map Reset

Wild_Porygon

Legacy Supporter 5
When I played I'd only end up camping new players just because there was literally nothing else to do because world pvp in general was dead.

Kenneth_Chow

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
I think an issue is on both campers and players because from what I've seen many players keep running at the camper instead of the smart decision of logging off for a bit. Or another situation would be a player who bad mouths someone gets camped but then complains about being camped.

Like if we some how manage to fix this issue it would be a great step to reviving the server.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I really appreciate you guys giving your knowledge and thoughts on how to properly run a server / fix things.

I'll keep reading through this. If we need to extend the release, ill announce it as soon as I can. Townships is under dev but it has a lot of work to be done.

At the end of the day, the server staff is only meant to provide the framework and content for the server, and keep everyone within a set of rules. The actual experience the players have on the server is up to themselves. If people are toxic the server will become toxic and lose players. If people are relatively kind and inclusive in the way they play, numbers will increase.

This being said, the server does still need to provide strong content for players to use, and I do think the new map will provide that.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
What was the average player-count of that map after about 2 months. Hint - it was about 15. Across both of the maps.

And that is different than now, how? It isn't the number of maps that has people wander away, it's the quantity and type of content, among other things. By having content that appeals to both PVP and PVE without making one subservient to the other, HC encourages more players to come and stay. Just my two cents.

-yav

And that is different than now, how? It isn't the number of maps that has people wander away, it's the quantity and type of content, among other things. By having content that appeals to both PVP and PVE without making one subservient to the other, HC encourages more players to come and stay. Just my two cents.

-yav
It's different from now in that it took about 7-8 months to drop to that low. HC doesn't have one subservient to the other. In fact, I might even argue PvE had been the focus of the latest map far more than PvP.

If you separate the two game types, to me at least, you end up with an incomplete experience in the game. You should be able to fight mobs for gear, build a thriving town, do some RP, and then fight to defend it all.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
At the end of the day, the server staff is only meant to provide the framework and content for the server, and keep everyone within a set of rules. The actual experience the players have on the server is up to themselves. If people are toxic the server will become toxic and lose players. If people are relatively kind and inclusive in the way they play, numbers will increase.

This being said, the server does still need to provide strong content for players to use, and I do think the new map will provide that.
I mean MOBAs are toxic games, yet they still continue to rise :p

-yav
You will not get content that appeals to both PvP and PvE for pretty much anyone except for a few. I know many people I've played the server with can share my feelings that in this: We don't really care about RP, We grind just to get gear (because it's op and really the only way to get decent money still) and also to level, Camping people isn't really a fun thing to do but it is something to do, It's easier to track a newer player that you know won't be hiding inside a town and have wasted your time than to track a player that sits inside their town all day.

I just have to say that the only reason I've done any sort of PvE in any sort of mmo is to grind and stay competitive. Not because I enjoy it at all. Earlier this year I played Albion pretty frequently and honestly the ONLY thing that was kinda decently fun grinding to do was hellgates. You kill a mini-boss, go into the portal with 4 other people and farm the mobs. At the time you were almost guaranteed a 5v5 because another group would probably enter. If you won the fight you get their gear and the silver from the mobs. That was the only sort of PvE content I've somewhat enjoyed, but it really was just a place for Guaranteed PvP. I don't think HC currently has a population to support anything like that for reliable pvp, maybe if there was a few hundred online at a time but not now.

BTW you are wrong, it is not the quantity of content. I would rather 1 finished well done project over 20 half done and glitchy ones. People get a little annoyed when content is slow, but they just get pissed when it's not even finished on release and there is always an increased chance to find exploits. Such as the release of Valorium and the return of Sammy, I chose the class and thought it wouldn't take more than a day or two to fix the buggy skills right? Well... when I had to master the class using berserker skills and couldn't even bind a skill or two to my sword I was a bit pissed. I was annoyed that it took like 2 years for samurai to return but it would have rather have waited another month and to have actually known what class I was choosing at the time.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Every new map I want to play... but I lack the drive to level anything but Necro because it is just braindead and boring to me. IMO you can't say MythicMobs really helps, just giving a mob insane amounts of health and a few annoying skills doesn't make it fun. Dropping insane loot doesn't make it fun, except now there really is no end because you always need top tier gear. Again I share these feelings with many of my friends (which is actually 0 because nobody likes me) that have been playing for years and just have no drive or interest in leveling the exact same classes against the exact same mobs time and time again except now it just takes longer because it takes all of your mana to kill one mob.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
BTW I meant the leveling is braindead and boring :p not Necro, I love that class.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3

-yav
Listen Yav, you're well spoken and I like that about you, but I personally believe you're wrong.

Pushing the already massive wedge between PvE and PvP will separate the server into even more fragmented groups. When I joined in Valorium (I'm a veteran now!) the whole PvE vs PvP escapade caused a lot of trouble. PvPers would grow restless and hunt and camp noobs because they didn't have any real prey, and the people that went to PvE to level never left PvE, this encouraged a rather vicious cycle: Noob goes to level in PvE. War begins (I came in about three weeks before war became world wide.) noob gets camped. Noob fears PvP because everyone is stronger than him, and thus stays in PvE, resulting in no new PvP groups or individuals trying to get into PvP. It doesn't help that some, but not all, of these campers were rather aggressive bout it, doing way more than just camping the person.

If you opt to do another world split, the PvP players will then go extinct very quickly. New players will fear PvP so much that they'll almost never go to a PvP world, and never take that risk. Thus PvP people get tired of battling their meager numbers and leave, leaving a rather bland PvE for the noobs.

PvE on its own is just bland in my personal opinion. Whoever wants to just sit around and build all day in a heroes server, or fight the same mobs over is just weird. There's a certain exhilaration to having that encounter in the wild, or building with the chance of a siege coming.

If we continue to try and push apart these two worlds which should exist together, then we'll just keep repeating the same mistake of previous maps, and this time it may be a fatal one.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Every new map I want to play... but I lack the drive to level anything but Necro because it is just braindead and boring to me. IMO you can't say MythicMobs really helps, just giving a mob insane amounts of health and a few annoying skills doesn't make it fun. Dropping insane loot doesn't make it fun, except now there really is no end because you always need top tier gear. Again I share these feelings with many of my friends (which is actually 0 because nobody likes me) that have been playing for years and just have no drive or interest in leveling the exact same classes against the exact same mobs time and time again except now it just takes longer because it takes all of your mana to kill one mob.
What Traz says about Mythics are my thoughts exactly.
10,000 hp and a 300hp Armor Pierce Homing shot do not make for fun enemies.

We also need to limit both Enchants and Custom Stats on weapons this time.
There are some pretty crazy ones on the current map.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
I like you, you're not toxic, so you make a decent representation of the PvP community (you still have your moments.). Then again I like most people on this server.

Honestly, I want to see a new class, and not like a shitty copy and paste class with a different name like the original Sammy, I want to see some brand new class. That'll grab old players by the balls and make them want to try the class. I'd like to see a caster myself. You might want to consider a project for a new class @Kainzo, maybe release it a few months after reset when everyone's settled in? Might give those older players who are trying to find a reason to stay a reason.

But yeah, what Traz said, quality over quantity every single time. And I also think that the new mobs are terrible and should go, I just want the old leveling back, so that PvP is more readily available and I can feel more prepped when I'm max level without spending weeks of my life leveling. I'll be honest, I'm one for the grind, I don't mind grinding for levels or gear because I like exploring new things (hence why when I first played the server I maxed almost every class.) but when the new leveling came out, it just felt hopeless and silly to grind so much for absolutely no purpose at all. And if you were a caster trying to level, you were ultra fucked. Literally no fuel in the tank for anything. Necromancers can successfully kill about three tier six mobs (if they're lucky) before having the wait a god awful amount of time to get their mana back. I liked the whole system of charging into a ruinous dungeon that didn't push apart the two worlds, and carving through mobs like a boss. It wasn't exactly as deep as the heavens gate mobs, but it just felt better to cut through hundreds of enemies with your magical squad of badasses.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I like you, you're not toxic, so you make a decent representation of the PvP community (you still have your moments.). Then again I like most people on this server.

Honestly, I want to see a new class, and not like a shitty copy and paste class with a different name like the original Sammy, I want to see some brand new class. That'll grab old players by the balls and make them want to try the class. I'd like to see a caster myself. You might want to consider a project for a new class @Kainzo, maybe release it a few months after reset when everyone's settled in? Might give those older players who are trying to find a reason to stay a reason.

But yeah, what Traz said, quality over quantity every single time. And I also think that the new mobs are terrible and should go, I just want the old leveling back, so that PvP is more readily available and I can feel more prepped when I'm max level without spending weeks of my life leveling. I'll be honest, I'm one for the grind, I don't mind grinding for levels or gear because I like exploring new things (hence why when I first played the server I maxed almost every class.) but when the new leveling came out, it just felt hopeless and silly to grind so much for absolutely no purpose at all. And if you were a caster trying to level, you were ultra fucked. Literally no fuel in the tank for anything. Necromancers can successfully kill about three tier six mobs (if they're lucky) before having the wait a god awful amount of time to get their mana back. I liked the whole system of charging into a ruinous dungeon that didn't push apart the two worlds, and carving through mobs like a boss. It wasn't exactly as deep as the heavens gate mobs, but it just felt better to cut through hundreds of enemies with your magical squad of badasses.
I miss Mob Arenas, those were the best. Made grinding, dare I say: Fun.
10k HP, does not.

Im_Cj

Glowing Redstone
@Admins | @Heralds | @Moderators
We need an active group of players to be on this server helping new players feel welcomed, answer questions and fit in.

We've seen players rage-quit for all types of things (mostly pvpers camping new players, but it happens!)
-Kainzo
choose one
i can't see new players coming on the server a month or so in and feeling welcomed at all when they will just get killed repeatedly with no chance of being able to fight back. theres no reason to camp new players because they have nothing to be camped for, just people camping for fun. want to level? come back on in a few hours, hopefully the camper is gone/will forget about you. not really convenient to someone with not as much time, but i don't see a way to fix this. maybe someone else can.
definitely gonna be playing with some friends on reset though. when things start up it's always fun.

Last edited:

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
Normal mobs at swamps and deserts!!!

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
choose one
i can't see new players coming on the server a month or so in and feeling welcomed at all when they will just get killed repeatedly with no chance of being able to fight back. theres no reason to camp new players because they have nothing to be camped for, just people camping for fun. want to level? come back on in a few hours, hopefully the camper is gone/will forget about you. not really convenient to someone with not as much time, but i don't see a way to fix this. maybe someone else can.
definitely gonna be playing with some friends on reset though. when things start up it's always fun.
#ELOisLyfe #1ELOperHour

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
I miss Mob Arenas, those were the best. Made grinding, dare I say: Fun.
10k HP, does not.
I like the idea of mob arenas. One could even use the old maps from heavens gate as the arenas, and the elite mobs as sort of pseudo round bosses, while making normal mobs just like Valorium mobs, and few heavens gate common mobs mixed in. Higher rounds more elite spawns. At round ten, twenty, thirty, and so on, summon a boss mob from the dungeons. Round ten is tier one, round twenty is tier two, and so on. I think it'd be a welcomed way to repurpose the old mob's code.

ShadowRavynn

Max Legacy Supporter
*shrugs* I enjoyed the PVE server, personally. Our A-frame town of Alpine was a lot of fun to build up in the snowy biome. The extreme landscape of the map made it pretty much uninhabitable, but for those of us who enjoyed PVE with spawning mobs & livestock, it was good. If the increased xp/difficulty of mobs based on distance from spawn was implemented, then that would be great too. Add y=20 and below reset every month, and now we have a PVE world that doubles as a resource map, and those who don't want PVP can still play Herocraft in peace. :cool:

-yav

@Kainzo I personally would love this as well. I read Yavool's original post and Kainzo';s comment of considering it... I prefer building a town to pvping and having everything you worked so hard on ripped apart. I am not saying pvp isn't fun at times, but I prefer to pve for the most part and kill mobs, go to dungeons etc.

Will the restrictions be removed on professions as far as... only a smithy can make certain things etc? I feel that really cut down on the enjoyment of the game for myself and Dakinara... I understand why it was implemented, but I think it was too restrictive as well.

Also, what township mod are we using for this new map? I would like to read up on it and get to know it more before the map reset. :)

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Looking forward to the Last Stand.

Whatever changes are implemented, we need Areas where you are incentivized to build and then spend time in PvP, with no pvp borders nearby.

In the past, these Areas were Leveling Swamps, and being able to cultivate and protect these pvp hotspots has been our most successful model.