• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

ALERT The Final Stand - New Era/Map Reset

Harder than you think. Alot of the older players have grown up and moved on while others just gave up because recently the last couple maps have been a disappointment. I know SOME of the older players will try the new map, but now its whether this server cares about advertising and finding a way to keep the newer players around.
I understand that, but I am not talking about getting older players back. I'm working under the assumption most of you have already left. I am talking about advertising, and then holding onto PvPers.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
Shut up munch, since you gave the server so much money I would expect you to play. Jokes on you if you don't want to, you spent thousands

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
As I stated, lets keep it on topic. I dont expect everyone to stay playing Herocraft forever but if you are done, dont shit on what people are doing here. You'll just be removed.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
K lets look back to what happened last time we split the server please.
Do you remember?
K good.

*shrugs* I enjoyed the PVE server, personally. Our A-frame town of Alpine was a lot of fun to build up in the snowy biome. The extreme landscape of the map made it pretty much uninhabitable, but for those of us who enjoyed PVE with spawning mobs & livestock, it was good. If the increased xp/difficulty of mobs based on distance from spawn was implemented, then that would be great too. Add y=20 and below reset every month, and now we have a PVE world that doubles as a resource map, and those who don't want PVP can still play Herocraft in peace. :cool:

-yav

nicole1551

Retired Staff
@Admins | @Heralds | @Moderators
Please take a moment to read this, this is important. If you are here to troll, please don't.
You may have noticed that Herocraft (and maybe Minecraft in general) as been in bit of a decline lately, there's several reasons for this, namely that we have a map cycle of generally 6-12 months before a complete data reset, we're currently sitting at 9 months in this current map of Citadel:Towny.

The Past
Minecraft may not be around in 6 years. Herocraft itself is as old as Minecraft SMP and we're going on 6 years in less than 5 months. I have picked up several projects both in Minecraft and out, outside of Herocraft to ensure that I will still be able to work freely on games and continue to host Herocraft without the need to increase donation incentives to extreme levels (not to mention the EULA issues).

This community has survived the test of time in my opinion, we have been here longer than most triple A games stay alive and I am very proud to see this happen. In order for this community to continue to stand, I direly beseech your help. Herocraft needs leadership other than myself. I have been working on and off on finding community leaders to take on responsibilities and for the most part all of this has been very promising. The search is still on so if you are exceptionally gifted in something, please put your time to Herocraft if you can spare. We need an active group of players to be on this server helping new players feel welcomed, answer questions and fit in. We also need consistent players logging back in and obtaining ranks, rewards and prizes for doing so.

When I created Herocraft, I had one vision. Make it brutal. That vision introduced players to a type of server that they had never seen before. A brutal experience that yielded immense joy when you survived with your friends. This very same enjoyment is why we've had over 400,000 players sign into Herocraft over the last 5 years. We've seen players rage-quit for all types of things (mostly pvpers camping new players, but it happens!) To recollect on these past few years, I believe our heyday existed when we had one purpose and that was to provide an extremely brutal server to our player-base. I really want to shovel content to meet those old feelings against while embracing the new content that Minecraft has to offer and let the community decide the route Herocraft takes.

The Future
There's a few things that need to happen before we can really reset data and move towards a new era/map. Mainly is updating plugins, ensuring systems are in place for a good/enjoyable time and timing.

During this new era coming up in less than a month, I hope I can entice you to try Herocraft again. I am formally doing away with our Network hub feel until further notice and keeping all servers segregated on their own IP. Factions is branded under "Factionheroes.com" and Dungeon Heroes is under Dungeonheroes.org - We hope that players will enjoy playing these servers once their times come but for now, the primary focus under Herocraft will be to survive and to provide a unique experience with immersive systems. We are pulling out the stops and that means there won't be much hand holding when it comes to leveling, pvping, questing, protection or anything of that nature. Some changes for the new era are below for May 27th.
  • Vanilla Generated Map (2500x2500)
  • Overworld Mobs with Overworld Dungeons
  • Less strict leveling (ie, pre-8.2 patch)
  • Townships Revamped (currently in-dev)
  • Spawn / Trade District Overhaul.
  • Staff Retention Plan (currency payment to active staff members)
  • Loyalty and player retention rewards for logging in daily.
  • Conquest style points active 90% of the time for at-spawn in your face action.
  • Less crafting/profession based restrictions
  • Buycraft Store changes.
  • More simplistic items.
  • Possible planned reset times of 5-6 months.
  • 1.9.4 update.
In summation
I have been very proud hosting the community servers for over 5 years and I hope to see Herocraft thriving once again since the EULA is now blacklisting the pay2win servers, we have a chance to shine through and show Minecraft what we are really about. I hope this community grows together and can experience an amazing server with their friends as well as their foes!

-Kainzo

this is great and i am really excited i think the big down fall was the towny and how hard it go to level... once you built a town it didnt take much to keep it running and then leveling got harder which made it annoying to fight mob after mob.. but im excited to see what you will bring to us this time :) ready for a new challenge

Leo2596

Legacy Supporter 7
Shut up munch, since you gave the server so much money I would expect you to play. Jokes on you if you don't want to, you spent thousands
Lets be honest munch says he won't play, but we all know he will.

Last edited:

Wild_Porygon

Legacy Supporter 5
I think the server can come back, just having split worlds ie pve worlds kind of kills it as essentially the population gets split and world pvp is dramatically decreased, perhaps a slightly smaller map and only one pvp world would encourage more world pvp therefore the game would become more interesting, also the game overall has started to become "too safe" trying to cater towards more casual players, imo everywhere except spawn should be somehow raidable by pvpers. This server when it thrived originally was a hardcore pvp server but just tried too hard to please everybody...

Hey Kainzo, i'll be glad to help in any way possible. I have seen this server (i think 1-2) years ago. all my friends coming and going. Some are long gone in the world of college. I love this server because it brought a unique system to rpg/pvp/towny. I loved how the server ran. if you need staff or active players, let me know. i'll do my best to be active on here and on other servers that I play on. who knows, i might be able to convince a few friends to check out the server. they might enjoy it like the way I did.

I think the server can come back, just having split worlds ie pve worlds kind of kills it as essentially the population gets split and world pvp is dramatically decreased, perhaps a slightly smaller map and only one pvp world would encourage more world pvp therefore the game would become more interesting, also the game overall has started to become "too safe" trying to cater towards more casual players, imo everywhere except spawn should be somehow raidable by pvpers. This server when it thrived originally was a hardcore pvp server but just tried too hard to please everybody...
you are right about that, but he has to think about all the new players that are getting camped. I was camped too and almost rage quitted if it wasn't for somebody nice (idk who. I was running for my life) to fight them and ignore me.

Arcan1x

Soulsand
I think I'll make an attempt to pick HC up again. The dungeon system on this map killed it for me, I'm interested to see how things work on the new one.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
you are right about that, but he has to think about all the new players that are getting camped. I was camped too and almost rage quitted if it wasn't for somebody nice (idk who. I was running for my life) to fight them and ignore me.
that's a joke right? You will get camped on any pvp server you play on at least a couple times. Whether you are new or you've been playing for years. That's how pvp games work, you camp the players you can get a profit from. Even in MOBAs you tend to camp the lanes that are easy to gank.

There has and always will be people that camp others, simple as that. HC has thrived in the past when there was much more people getting camped than currently so that is not the only problem.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
that's a joke right? You will get camped on any pvp server you play on at least a couple times. Whether you are new or you've been playing for years. That's how pvp games work, you camp the players you can get a profit from. Even in MOBAs you tend to camp the lanes that are easy to gank.

There has and always will be people that camp others, simple as that. HC has thrived in the past when there was much more people getting camped than currently so that is not the only problem.
I think there is a fine line to be crossed between camping people and outright harassing them. Not to mention my own case, there were several other notable cases where players were camped through abusive glitches (which have since been patched) It's plausible that the person that posted the statement on camping was a victim of such actions. Aside from that, I know many players thzat quit not just from one instance of camping, but literally dozens of instances of the same individuals tracking and intentionally targeting the person. One such case was of an individual named Vifury whom I got to know for a bit before he quit the server. HIs particular case was the reason why bounty abuse became an actual rule.

It certainly wasn't nearly as bad this map was it was last map, but camping is still a clear problem that this server faces. There's a difference between access to a reprieve and what has transpired before. I personally was not a victim of these sorts of actions more than once, but the only time it happened it was not pleasant. Most individuals that do these camps do so in a rather demeaning manner, so much so as to go as far as calling them various derogatory names.

It is different when you're just camping outside of someone's house, or outside of a GY, but when it is consistently the same people pursuing the person with the sole intention of driving them away from the server, it has gone too far.

That being said I have no qualms with being attacked in a 3v1 or a 2v1, dying, and respawning with them waiting outside the GY safezone. Because I have the capacity to escape and it often isn't taken as far as to be personal.

I think if this server wants to retain newer players they need to A: Open up more options for information. Infobot will not guide new players. It's an unreliable tool and shouldn't be the "be all end all" of how new players access information. Consider reviewing the current guides and remove inactive individuals and replace them with players who actually intend to do the job correctly. Second Point, B: Toxicity needs to be controlled. I understand how the players interact on this server, and I have grown to know many of them well, in both negative and positive ways. Most new players that I've spoken to quit for two reasons:
They don't understand how things work or what they need to do (see point A again.)
They said the wrong thing upon joining the server and immediately provoked a rather nasty group of people.
The second scenario wouldn't be so bad if it was a controlled situation where it only happened once or twice, and no demeaning language was used. Sadly, that almost rarely takes place in the ideal scenario. Often times the provoked players see it as "fun" to punish this player for mis-speaking in some degree. Other new players who didn't provoke the group then see what is happening to that player, and see the community as something nastier than what it is. This results in a large loss of new player retention, and eventually the players that have been performing the aforementioned toxic form of camping become bored and eventually leave themselves.
The bigger issue here is that the previous issue can't be tackled normally. Staff really can't control someone attacking another player, even if it is to some degree of harassment.

TL:DR
Camping=Ok, Camping that is harassment=Toxic, needs to go.
Most camping sessions are toxic in some way.
PvP is fine. Intentionally tracking and constantly killing someone, while also verbally abusing the individual. is not fine.
Add new guides, remove inactive guides. Consistently track guide's work and how well they're doing. Appoint someone to oversee the guide's actions.
Infobot is not the ideal player information tool.
Tackle toxicity directly to increase base new player retention.

Some suggestions for the next map.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Add new guides, remove inactive guides.
I'm working on this, just not publicly right now.
Appoint someone to oversee the guide's actions.
Well shit, I thought that was my job, guess not.
Infobot is a mysterious beast. It's pretty good for common questions, but is no replacement for the Wiki or an actual player to answer questions.

Expect to more active Guides and myself more often once we hit the reset.

Rihawk_

Legacy Supporter 4
Canadia! why else would I be so friendly?
I think there is a fine line to be crossed between camping people and outright harassing them. Not to mention my own case, there were several other notable cases where players were camped through abusive glitches (which have since been patched) It's plausible that the person that posted the statement on camping was a victim of such actions. Aside from that, I know many players thzat quit not just from one instance of camping, but literally dozens of instances of the same individuals tracking and intentionally targeting the person. One such case was of an individual named Vifury whom I got to know for a bit before he quit the server. HIs particular case was the reason why bounty abuse became an actual rule.

It certainly wasn't nearly as bad this map was it was last map, but camping is still a clear problem that this server faces. There's a difference between access to a reprieve and what has transpired before. I personally was not a victim of these sorts of actions more than once, but the only time it happened it was not pleasant. Most individuals that do these camps do so in a rather demeaning manner, so much so as to go as far as calling them various derogatory names.

It is different when you're just camping outside of someone's house, or outside of a GY, but when it is consistently the same people pursuing the person with the sole intention of driving them away from the server, it has gone too far.

That being said I have no qualms with being attacked in a 3v1 or a 2v1, dying, and respawning with them waiting outside the GY safezone. Because I have the capacity to escape and it often isn't taken as far as to be personal.

I think if this server wants to retain newer players they need to A: Open up more options for information. Infobot will not guide new players. It's an unreliable tool and shouldn't be the "be all end all" of how new players access information. Consider reviewing the current guides and remove inactive individuals and replace them with players who actually intend to do the job correctly. Second Point, B: Toxicity needs to be controlled. I understand how the players interact on this server, and I have grown to know many of them well, in both negative and positive ways. Most new players that I've spoken to quit for two reasons:
They don't understand how things work or what they need to do (see point A again.)
They said the wrong thing upon joining the server and immediately provoked a rather nasty group of people.
The second scenario wouldn't be so bad if it was a controlled situation where it only happened once or twice, and no demeaning language was used. Sadly, that almost rarely takes place in the ideal scenario. Often times the provoked players see it as "fun" to punish this player for mis-speaking in some degree. Other new players who didn't provoke the group then see what is happening to that player, and see the community as something nastier than what it is. This results in a large loss of new player retention, and eventually the players that have been performing the aforementioned toxic form of camping become bored and eventually leave themselves.
The bigger issue here is that the previous issue can't be tackled normally. Staff really can't control someone attacking another player, even if it is to some degree of harassment.

TL:DR
Camping=Ok, Camping that is harassment=Toxic, needs to go.
Most camping sessions are toxic in some way.
PvP is fine. Intentionally tracking and constantly killing someone, while also verbally abusing the individual. is not fine.
Add new guides, remove inactive guides. Consistently track guide's work and how well they're doing. Appoint someone to oversee the guide's actions.
Tackle toxicity directly to increase base new player retention.

Some suggestions for the next map.
Correct me if im wrong, but I've come to think that sometimes camping and whatnot happens a lot more than not because of things like track and deathmark. For an experienced player to have pretty much the exact location of the victim can be an enormous advantage over new players who are still struggling to equip abilities and whatnot.

I feel like those 2 abilities could probably get a small nerf so that people would have to roam a little more to find a fight rather than singling out one victim. With the smaller map coming, I dont think this would be a horrible change. Somehow making the tracking abilities less accurate could perhaps be a good thing.

I don't know, thats my input about that. Actually, I should move this to a suggestion maybe...

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9

I think the game thrives when PvPers support new players - kill them a couple of times, then connect, share information, get the new players connected in to the game.

PvPers who define themselves solely as campers... well, they lose out because everyone loses out as new players are driven from the game before they even get a toehold.

For the game to thrive, it takes players stepping up and connecting new players in. Considering everyone's game experience, not just their own.

As a new player, it was really fun for me at the point when my first camper changed tack, started chatting, helped me get a little better set up. The experience helped me want to stay.

Just my two cents worth, I guess.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
I think the game thrives when PvPers support new players - kill them a couple of times, then connect, share information, get the new players connected in to the game.

PvPers who define themselves solely as campers... well, they lose out because everyone loses out as new players are driven from the game before they even get a toehold.

For the game to thrive, it takes players stepping up and connecting new players in. Considering everyone's game experience, not just their own.

As a new player, it was really fun for me at the point when my first camper changed tack, started chatting, helped me get a little better set up. The experience helped me want to stay.

Just my two cents worth, I guess.
I agree, I feel like this is the right way to do it. Sadly that isn't how it is usually.

LightTheAbsol

Legacy Supporter 3
*shrugs* I enjoyed the PVE server, personally. Our A-frame town of Alpine was a lot of fun to build up in the snowy biome. The extreme landscape of the map made it pretty much uninhabitable, but for those of us who enjoyed PVE with spawning mobs & livestock, it was good. If the increased xp/difficulty of mobs based on distance from spawn was implemented, then that would be great too. Add y=20 and below reset every month, and now we have a PVE world that doubles as a resource map, and those who don't want PVP can still play Herocraft in peace. :cool:

-yav
What was the average player-count of that map after about 2 months. Hint - it was about 15. Across both of the maps.