• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New Class: Shaman

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
For the sake of balancing everything else with Shaman we really need to just ignore the fact totems cant move. It really cant be helped. We can just use the old system where using a totem will auto cancel the old one out then increase the range the shaman can place the totem to deal with runners and if not it really doesn't matter. If you're a shaman if they're running let others in your party with gap closers follow.

If you're fighting and use a totem, when the other person can move from it you move towards it. People running from you doesn't mean you're close it broken. Ex: Pyro, DK, Cleric

/rant

Shaman doesn't need and cant have high melee and magic dmg. If it's to get more skills they should be:
  • Support
    • debuffs
  • Heals
    • Minor heals. Should be weak, and low CD
  • CC
    • Maybe a KB skill of some kind, no AoE though
My 2 cents
If you're in a group fight, Totems make much more sense than a 1v1. I'm talking 1v1s.

Also, as for your other skills, that's what we were trying to do with melee.
Melee Healing heals who you hit.
Melee force knocks away
Melee Engulfing is either a slow or some other debuff

The only two dealing damage were the ones whose totems dealt damage. Melee damage in and of itself was going to be low. Damage from skills would be technically magical.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Also remember that switching totems, whether it be via a totem recall or auto replace, costs mana.
Switching out a melee effect also would cost mana.
You can only have two (or one with *just* totems) at any given time. If you try to just change them all the time at will you're going to murder your mana pool.

At MOST, even with the melee, you can only have two means of damage at any given time. Two.
That's how many Cleric has when it's not fighting undead.

Edit: Tag with which to notify @LightningCape may help.

Last edited:

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Quick Note: Like Naomi said, firestrike totem now fires 4 projectiles. From my testing, you can't be hit by all 4 fireballs. Also, you can't be hit (at all) if you stand on top of the totem. In most situations it will hit you 3 times. The only time it will hit you twice is when you are in a inter-cardinal directions and right next to the totem. I don't thinks it's possible to only be hit by 1 fireball (In most circumstances.) So based on this, we should be balancing the totem based on the fact that you will be hit by 3 fireballs.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Currently, there's a damage bug in Firestrike Totem - it's doing 4-5 hearts to people, need to see why.

Overall, I think the shaman is coming together - still need to hammer out different cd's/damage/durations. I want to see 1-2 heals, 1-2 spell dmg skills, and 1-2 melee ones. Obviously, the heals should be most effective, the melee should be the weakest and the spell dmg should be medium.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Currently, there's a damage bug in Firestrike Totem - it's doing 4-5 hearts to people, need to see why.

Overall, I think the shaman is coming together - still need to hammer out different cd's/damage/durations. I want to see 1-2 heals, 1-2 spell dmg skills, and 1-2 melee ones. Obviously, the heals should be most effective, the melee should be the weakest and the spell dmg should be medium.
Like I said, the reason why it's doing so much damage is that you are currently getting hit by 3 fireballs instead of one. With the current damage set at 175, that is (175*3)+50 = 575

In the case of other skills, the more the better. Since you can only have 1 totem at a time, you would only be able to use 7 skills at a time. Even then, there is only 5 totems making shaman's kit very small at 11 skills.

Last edited:

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
After testing Totems with some actually PvP on test I think it's safe to say the ticks are just too slow. For pretty much all of them if you place it and the person starts running you wont get a single hit off.

An easy solution to this is to adjust the tick rates on the totems. Be really nice if totems were active the moment they're place and no 2-3 delay. imo

Sirdemonic3

Legacy Supporter 3
After testing Totems with some actually PvP on test I think it's safe to say the ticks are just too slow. For pretty much all of them if you place it and the person starts running you wont get a single hit off.

An easy solution to this is to adjust the tick rates on the totems. Be really nice if totems were active the moment they're place and no 2-3 delay. imo
agreed, at least one tick as soon as it is dropped

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
This could work. Now we need to come up with the 6 skills Kainzo talked about. I'm assuming chain-lighting will still be a thing so that's 5 skills:
  • 2 Melee
  • 2 Heals
  • 1 Spell
My suggestions:
Melee:
-Replace kick with bash
-Add Maim
Heals:
-Need a "medium" heal of some kind. Should be direct
-Small HoT would be nice. Somewhere between medium and soothe
Spell:
-A non-AoE KB that deals some small magic dmg.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Here's some ideas you may or may not have considered:
  • Do you want a recall to instantly remove a totem and possibly regain some mana?
  • Do you want totems to go by so fast the above is not needed?
  • Do you want a Totem to fire off as it expires for ones whose lifespan isn't a multiple of its ticks?

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
My suggestions:
Melee:
-Replace kick with bash
-Add Maim
Heals:
-Need a "medium" heal of some kind. Should be direct
-Small HoT would be nice. Somewhere between medium and soothe
Spell:
-A non-AoE KB that deals some small magic dmg.
How about we don't reuse the name of skills...

Melee:
  • Kick-> Shocking Strike: Deals extra physical damage based on your INT and interrupts warm-ups/silences
  • Maim->Chilling Strike: Deals extra physical damage based on your INT and slows the target
Heals:
  • Cleanse Spirit/Exorcise: Heals and removes all debuffs from your target
  • Primal Surge/Natures Fury/etc: HOT, mana regen, and stamina regen.
Spells:
  • Chain Lightning: Given
  • Wind Gale: Low damage, wide projectile (Like DragonBreath) that knocks back targets.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Here's some ideas you may or may not have considered:
  • Do you want a recall to instantly remove a totem and possibly regain some mana?
  • Do you want totems to go by so fast the above is not needed?
  • Do you want a Totem to fire off as it expires for ones whose lifespan isn't a multiple of its ticks?
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. I think the totems duration should be a multiple of it's ticks.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Simple reclaim mana would be nifty.
@malikdanab @LightningCape
Just did what was quoted minus simplicity.
SkillTotemRecall, removes the totem (any cooldowns still apply, whether it be global Totem cooldown or specific skill), grants mana.
Mana granted is based on the original skill's cost penalized by X percent (that's where the config comes in) proportional to how long it existed out of its total span.

EDIT: I screwed up the math, I meant to make it so the shorter it was out, the bigger return. Utilization vs cost.
Now it's staying the other way, closer you get to the expiration the more you get, but if it hits expiration you bust.
Fun.

Last edited:

Sirdemonic3

Legacy Supporter 3
i think shamans being able to have a skill to move totems is a bit much, they should have to drop it where they think is best.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
i think shamans being able to have a skill to move totems is a bit much, they should have to drop it where they think is best.
They can't just magically move it. They remove it at the penalty of mana, and cooldowns that existed are still present.
At current test cooldown values, you wouldn't exactly be able to just move the totem. You could, however, replace it with a different kind.

Sirdemonic3

Legacy Supporter 3
They can't just magically move it. They remove it at the penalty of mana, and cooldowns that existed are still present.
At current test cooldown values, you wouldn't exactly be able to just move the totem. You could, however, replace it with a different kind.
ah i thought u were implying that they would magically move it to them, that sounds better. sorry for the mistake :p

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

Melee:
  • Kick-> Shocking Strike: Deals extra physical damage based on your INT and interrupts warm-ups/silences
  • Maim->Chilling Strike: Deals extra physical damage based on your INT and slows the target
Heals:
Spells:
  • Wind Gale: Low damage, wide projectile (Like DragonBreath) that knocks back targets.
I do like these... which means I think they should have a melee-buff totem, similar to windfury on WoW - huh?

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
I do like these... which means I think they should have a melee-buff totem, similar to windfury on WoW - huh?
Totally doable, just mergeify code of healing and might (to know the heck the effect is) and engulfing.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!

Melee:
Heals:
Spells:
Shaman really should not have a silence. An interrupt is fine but with a silence they become more versatile against mages which is the job of rogues.