• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New Class: Shaman

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Tbh I say Give shamans Totems Warmups and higher mana costs, then also drain mana as long as their active?
1) How many bloody times has it been said that we cannot give them warmups?
2) It's bad enough that they cost mana and are stuck in one location with having been nerfed (no shock), we don't need to make it even worse.
3) If you channel crap that drains over time, then you DON'T put a high initial cost. Get your RPG straight.

Last edited:

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
2) It's bad enough that they cost mana and are stuck in one location with having been nerfed (no shock), we don't need to make it even worse.
3) If you channel crap, then you DON'T put a high initial cost. Get your RPG straight.
Sorry didn't read the parts about not giving em warmups

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Jupiter is posting after having some 10v10 fights last night. My group had 3 Shamans against 0 or 1 on the other teams and we completely shut them down.

I don't believe it's completely due to the Shaman as we were a full group of Veteran players against mostly newer players, but having the three Firestrikes were VERY helpful.

Jupiter one thing to know is that Shamans have very little armor and HP and have shit for melee, so you just need to try to coordinate against the Totem placement better. Shamans self heals are horrible and drain mana faster then even the poor Cleric so getting hit's off on a Shaman will drop him pretty fast.

As far as Shaman goes, I would say it has a long ways to get to where it's destined, but with only Firestrike it's already been wrangled in.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
What does a wizard skill have to do with anything?
Fireblast is the same "type" of skill that placing totems falls under, and has a configurable distance.

"Skill that targets a location" is not a standard skill code you can just extend.
TargetedSkill is. (The Strike skills and HealingSurge are Targeted.
Right...but it's a very simple thing to add in. Seeing as how I already did it with Fireblast, you would merely need to copy the code to do this. It's not an overly complex concept.

Having a targetting range for placing totems is something I personally believe to be necessary, and I find that any number over 12-15 is just outright ludicrous. There is no need to allow shamans to place totems that far away.

Why can there not be a warmup on totems? There is -no- skill that cannot be a warmup. The configuration setting for warmup abilities works on every skill, with no coding changes required. Warmups are a very viable, and a very possible balance choice for any skill. The only exception we make for this is skillshots like fireball, but we don't necessarily have to do that either.

Last edited:

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
@Delfofthebla
Warmupwarmupwarmup
"Invalid location"
Well, there goes that.
Probably be the more often if not only thing that happens considering they can just whack you around to screw with where your crosshair is.

Anyway, never said config distance was impossible, just that it required edits.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
@Delfofthebla
Warmupwarmupwarmup
"Invalid location"
Well, there goes that.
Probably be the more often if not only thing that happens considering they can just whack you around to screw with where your crosshair is.

Anyway, never said config distance was impossible, just that it required edits.
Sure, the player may be given an invalid target location once in a while, but from what I've heard in the vine, Shaman isn't exactly a class with many weaknesses at the moment, so I don't see a major issue with this. It should be up to the player to ensure his skill goes off properly. Giving him a handicap because you fear he might be posed with failure once in a while is kind of silly, imo.

There are plenty of skillshots in the game, and a few have warmups all the same. (Blizzard, GreatCombustion). It's very feasible to warmup the skill and then place it incorrectly, or bump it into a close block. However, controlling that is very possible, and hardly very difficult.

The idea is to just keep the warmup low. 1 to 1.5 seconds would be plenty I'm sure.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Sure, the player may be given an invalid target location once in a while, but from what I've heard in the vine, Shaman isn't exactly a class with many weaknesses at the moment, so I don't see a major issue with this. It should be up to the player to ensure his skill goes off properly. Giving him a handicap because you fear he might be posed with failure once in a while is kind of silly, imo.

There are plenty of skillshots in the game, and a few have warmups all the same. (Blizzard, GreatCombustion). It's very feasible to warmup the skill and then place it incorrectly, or bump it into a close block. However, controlling that is very possible, and hardly very difficult.

The idea is to just keep the warmup low. 1 to 1.5 seconds would be plenty I'm sure.
Not weak? It's squishy as hell.
And my saying It'd lead to all sorts of invalid locations IS grabbing it after the warm-up.

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
Jupiter is posting after having some 10v10 fights last night. My group had 3 Shamans against 0 or 1 on the other teams and we completely shut them down.

I don't believe it's completely due to the Shaman as we were a full group of Veteran players against mostly newer players, but having the three Firestrikes were VERY helpful.

Jupiter one thing to know is that Shamans have very little armor and HP and have shit for melee, so you just need to try to coordinate against the Totem placement better. Shamans self heals are horrible and drain mana faster then even the poor Cleric so getting hit's off on a Shaman will drop him pretty fast.

As far as Shaman goes, I would say it has a long ways to get to where it's destined, but with only Firestrike it's already been wrangled in.
Yeah not being able to interrupt your totems made me sorta pissed XD

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Not weak? It's squishy as hell.
And my saying It'd lead to all sorts of invalid locations IS grabbing it after the warm-up.
Just saying that's what I've heard--I can't actually speak for myself, as I have not played recently. It could very well just be over exaggerations, I honestly don't know. I will say though that I've dealt with the same kinds of user feedback on every revamp I've ever done, so I know the feeling.

As far as the warmup is concerned, I recommend just trying it out on test and seeing how players deal with it. It doesn't need to go straight from this thread to live either. Test is there for us to experiment. The team has mentioned adding warmups to totems on a couple occasions throughout the thread, so I'm merely stating that it is a possible solution that might be worth trying.

If players decide that the warmups are too hefty of a nerf, then they can simply be taken out before being pushed to live.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
If players decide that the warmups are too hefty of a nerf, then they can simply be taken out before being pushed to live.
Fair enough on testing.
But it seems the "cool" collective thought on live is "nerf it to hell" last I saw.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Fair enough on testing.
But it seems the "cool" collective thought on live is "nerf it to hell" last I saw.
It typically is for most new things. And sometimes, even if it isn't needed, that's what they expect. Most classes I revamped were nerfed to oblivion very quickly (by myself) and then brought back up slowly to "ease" the community into it.