• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New Class: Shaman

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
@malikdanab Old name was inferno btw :3 Shaman doesn't need Inferno. AoE fireticks = slow, made pyro last map annoying

We don't need to jam back it with skills. 4 is the max not the min for me tbh
  • Healingwinds could work
    • As a past healer people have wanted something like this for a while
Well those where ideas. I wasn't expecting all the skills to be added. If totems will be made so that you can't recall them, I would think that a shaman would need lots of skill since half of them can only be used one at a time.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Anyway, as for skills, I would want to keep skills as minimal as possible with this. The idea I have makes basically all skill use limited through the totem logic, which I think works well, however I can't just code it so that you can't use any skills with an absorbed effect.
Simply: If it's an external skill, you can use it with any combo of totem/absorb which can be dangerous (Heal absorbed prevents melee damage, but what about ChainLightning being an external skill?)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Hmm, I'd like to see it that its a remote fuse.

So when you lay down a healing totem - when you recall it, it would instantly heal you (or anyone around you)

So the final tick of the totem could be at the place that you're reclaiming the totem.

So Point A = totem, Point B = Player
Player reclaims the totem, it expires at point A and immediately finishes/casts a tick onto it self at Point B.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Hmm, I'd like to see it that its a remote fuse.

So when you lay down a healing totem - when you recall it, it would instantly heal you (or anyone around you)

So the final tick of the totem could be at the place that you're reclaiming the totem.

So Point A = totem, Point B = Player
Player reclaims the totem, it expires at point A and immediately finishes/casts a tick onto it self at Point B.
Hmm... that just seems underwhelming and limited in use. All you can do is get off one hit with it, you'd still only be able to use one Totem power and that means all that would be worth recalling is Firestrike and Shock.
If it was for some reason a supplementary recall where you could recall it to your axe OR as a tick I'd see that as working better, but that would be quite the amount of options.

---

In other stuff for my continuing effort to push absorption I'd say make their actual melee low since they are channeling the power through it. Makes for further separation from the Runeblade style.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Double post to note that I forgot it existed, but there is a global totem cooldown in the Patters codebase.
...I just never notice it when using it, probably because you can't place with one in use anyway.

So, I could remove the cooldown on absorb, but if it was left then you'd have a bit more juggling and skill curve on use. Some food for thought.
(And yes, I am this set on making absorb a thing, I just need an actual argument to make a compromise. Suggesting different ideas is nice, but doesn't leave grounds for that)

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Well, managed to code up something for other coders to see (*cough* for kain to see *cough*), for me to test and for me to gauge how the idea is.
One session, one set of building and untested code, one happy me (for now).

I'll let you know how it goes when I test it. Currently separate from the normal code of Totems in case it is completely and utterly denied.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
@Kainzo @LightningCape
Got the absorption coded. Aside from some redundant code that can be ironed out, I'd say it works well.
If you want to see how it works and not on Test then I can rig up something to show it off with.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Well, what I want to use is the EnderCrystal with various blocks under it to denote to players what totem is current pending. It would be a lot safer but to make it work with EnderCrystal would take a bit more work

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Well, what I want to use is the EnderCrystal with various blocks under it to denote to players what totem is current pending. It would be a lot safer but to make it work with EnderCrystal would take a bit more work
I am totally cool with using EnderCrystals as the block on the top once I figure out how to make it work. That idea is honestly irrelevant to mine and is cool.

I was talking about with your idea of a recall forcing the last tick, which felt like "Throw out the entire idea for this one."

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
On second thought, the ideas mentioned above could coexist, it'd just add compexity (not that I haven't already proposed enough of it).
I'll try EnderCrystals on Master and then go back to this after.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Mmk, fixed that strange bug with the totem base having two legs, swapped out the top block with an EnderCrystal (looks cool) and changed height requirements so the Crystal can continue to look good.
None of this affects Balancing, but expect to see it over on Test sometime.
(No, you cannot harm the crystal and the crystal cannot harm you)

Sadly, this introduced an issue with Firestrike, so now I get to resolve that. (The fireball hits the crystal)

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Mmk, fixed Firestrike. Now it summons four fireballs in the air, one in each cardinal direction 2 away from the crystal.
Probably 2-3 will hit, 1 if luck is low or blocking hapens, 4 if you're right above it or right in the center of the totem.
Balance accordingly.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Welp, the @Kainzo has said he doesn't like absorption sounding like Runeblade.
Very sad times.

Also strange, because it's sound only and opposite in logic. But eh, if he can't be convinced, then he can't be convinced.
Only so much I can try.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Welp, the @Kainzo has said he doesn't like absorption sounding like Runeblade.
Very sad times.

Also strange, because it's sound only and opposite in logic. But eh, if he can't be convinced, then he can't be convinced.
Only so much I can try.
Sad times indeed...
*Sigh* I guess Shaman will be just another kiting mage...I guess we can go back to my old ideas?
Possible Melee Skills:
  • Flame Strike: Deals magic damage (Scales with STR) and applies fire
  • Frost Strike: Deals magic damage (Scales with STR) and slows. Basically a magical maim.
  • Shocking Strike: Deals magic damage (Scales with STR) silences. Could replace kick.
  • Storm/Tempest Shield: Reduces incoming melee damage by X%(Scales with STR) and shocks the attacking user for X damage(Scales with INT)

Possible Healing Skills:
  • Healing Winds: Dragon's Breath-esque skill (Colored Green) that heals allies in the area.
  • Healing Rain: Creates a storm around the user that heals him and his allies (HOT). Also slows enemies in the area (As if the ground turned muddy)
  • Exorcise: Removes all debuffs and heals the target

Possible Non-Totem Skills:
  • Flame Nova: AOE Damage with fire tick?
  • Earth Ring: Creates a circular ring of Stone
  • Storm Gale: Similar to Healing winds (Colored Grey), but deals damage and knocks back enemies.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Sad times indeed...
*Sigh* I guess Shaman will be just another kiting mage...I guess we can go back to my old ideas?
Kiting? I don't even know what it is with Master branch code. It just sits there and hopes to God Zo that the enemy is stupid enough to stay in range of the Totem for at least one hit.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
I also believe he said he didn't like people summoning totems just to take them back.
1) That portion could very well be changed.
2) Kain's "recall to force last tick around owner" idea combined with how Totem are leads me to see the following scenario as common.
  • Shaman places totem
  • Enemy runs, first tick may or may not hit (likely not)
  • Shaman gives chase and recalls totem to get at least one/a second tick off on them.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I also believe he said he didn't like people summoning totems just to take them back.
1) That portion could very well be changed.
2) Kain's "recall to force last tick around owner" idea combined with how Totem are leads me to see the following scenario as common.
  • Shaman places totem
  • Enemy runs, first tick may or may not hit (likely not)
  • Shaman gives chase and recalls totem to get at least one/a second tick off on them.
Yeah, id rather have it that recalling a totem cost mana with no extra effect. This would make placing a totem a decision and would promote better placement and discourage fickleness with your totems.