• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Bible/come to Jesus

Weikauno

Coder
Where did it say that you weren't supposed to have sex with your virgin daughters? Or is it common sense not to do that? In that case, we don't need the bible for morals.

Hmm, maybe you should read the whole story, and the places where it tells you the laws and the morals, so you actually know what you're talking about.... You know, like Leviticus 18....

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
Where did it say that you weren't supposed to have sex with your virgin daughters? Or is it common sense not to do that? In that case, we don't need the bible for morals.
What you consider basic morals here are different from other places in the world because our western morals are based off of the Bible.

Jmandudeguy

Legacy Supporter 3
I don't want to be harsh or anything, but if we follow the Bible's "morals" we would be living a different world. EX: 1st Timothy 2 11-14. Oh and by the way don't quote me on this, but I think when the King James version was established it was established to the liking of King James. This means that the Bible you read today may not be the same as the one the Apostles wrote originally. Those copies no longer exist and the only one people could use to create "today's Bible" was the King James version. I may be wrong about the KJV stuff because I saw it on an article a few years back, but I know I am right on the information about 1st Timothy 2 11-14.

PS: We should probably leave this conversation as it stands because this is 5 months old, and there is no need to bring up posts from the grave yard.

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
The king James Bible was a standardized translation from the Latin and Greek. Morals are all about how you are raised and in which culture. What you may assume to be everyones morals are in fact not. If a whole culture was based around murder, out would not be an evil, immoral thing. Because our society is founded on judeo-Christian morals, it is a crime to kill, morally and legally. Many other societies are founded on the same basic principles, but others are not.

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
The king James Bible was a standardized translation from the Latin and Greek. Morals are all about how you are raised and in which culture. What you may assume to be everyones morals are in fact not. If a whole culture was based around murder, out would not be an evil, immoral thing. Because our society is founded on judeo-Christian morals, it is a crime to kill, morally and legally. Many other societies are founded on the same basic principles, but others are not.

Make no mistake here, I'm not saying the bible is perfect or infallible, but that the New Testament teaches overall lessons of peace, love and goodwill towards all.

Weikauno

Coder
I don't want to be harsh or anything, but if we follow the Bible's "morals" we would be living a different world. EX: 1st Timothy 2 11-14. Oh and by the way don't quote me on this, but I think when the King James version was established it was established to the liking of King James. This means that the Bible you read today may not be the same as the one the Apostles wrote originally. Those copies no longer exist and the only one people could use to create "today's Bible" was the King James version. I may be wrong about the KJV stuff because I saw it on an article a few years back, but I know I am right on the information about 1st Timothy 2 11-14.

PS: We should probably leave this conversation as it stands because this is 5 months old, and there is no need to bring up posts from the grave yard.

Truthfully, if you really want the exact stuff, learn Hebrew, and read the original. That's something I think I'll do some day, if I find a resource to learn Hebrew. This article is pretty informative about those verses.
http://christianfeminism.wordpress.com/2008/07/04/the-mistranslation-of-1-timothy-211-12/ that's one example of why you should learn Hebrew so you can learn what the
bible really says.

Jmandudeguy

Legacy Supporter 3
Truthfully, if you really want the exact stuff, learn Hebrew, and read the original. That's something I think I'll do some day, if I find a resource to learn Hebrew. This article is pretty informative about those verses.
http://christianfeminism.wordpress.com/2008/07/04/the-mistranslation-of-1-timothy-211-12/ that's one example of why you should learn Hebrew so you can learn what the
bible really says.
However these "original" texts that are in Hebrew are nothing other than copies of copies of copies of the Bible. The Bible today is just a copy of a thousand other copies scribes had copied down. We cant ever be 100% sure that today's Bible has same text as the original Bible. Also nobody above even tried to explain the verses in the Bible that speak of rape, murder, slavery, and sexism. The reason so many people can't conform to the Christian beliefs is somewhat due to what I said above. The religion has too many contradictions in it's own text.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
However these "original" texts that are in Hebrew are nothing other than copies of copies of copies of the Bible. The Bible today is just a copy of a thousand other copies scribes had copied down. We cant ever be 100% sure that today's Bible has same text as the original Bible. Also nobody above even tried to explain the verses in the Bible that speak of rape, murder, slavery, and sexism. The reason so many people can't conform to the Christian beliefs is somewhat due to what I said above. The religion has too many contradictions in it's own text.[/quota] All of the contradictions are either taken out of contexts or the writer was speaking figuratively.

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
However these "original" texts that are in Hebrew are nothing other than copies of copies of copies of the Bible. The Bible today is just a copy of a thousand other copies scribes had copied down. We cant ever be 100% sure that today's Bible has same text as the original Bible. Also nobody above even tried to explain the verses in the Bible that speak of rape, murder, slavery, and sexism. The reason so many people can't conform to the Christian beliefs is somewhat due to what I said above. The religion has too many contradictions in it's own text.
You must also consider the fact that the bedrock of the Christian faith is the new testament, as for the old personally I regard it add simply the story of the Jewish people. The atrocities, genocides, etc happened in the old testament. Just wanted to say this for the record.

Jmandudeguy

Legacy Supporter 3
You must also consider the fact that the bedrock of the Christian faith is the new testament, as for the old personally I regard it add simply the story of the Jewish people. The atrocities, genocides, etc happened in the old testament. Just wanted to say this for the record.
Dude, the New Testament is included in my earlier statement. It came out thousands of years ago like the old one. There are no copies of the original bible with these testaments. The bible today is based off what the scribes, priests, and politicians added that made it fit their needs. That is one of the reason it is called the King James version. That version was made to the liking of the King James. After that modern day protestants refused to believe certain aspects of it so they searched for freedom. Leading them to peaceful countries or the newly discovered "New world". From there adaptations were created and new things were added. There were even new sects that came out like Mormons. Also to go back on whoever said our country is based on christian values that person is wrong. For the most part our founding fathers wanted nothing about religion to effect the government and instead based it on what freedoms all men no matter religion and eventually race receive. There were many founding fathers and influential men that didn't believe in God. Some of them are Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin.

pandaman7

Legacy Supporter 3
In regard to the accuracy of the bible:

Take a look at Luke 3:1-2,

"In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar - when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, Herod the ruler of Galilee, his brother Philip the ruler of Iturea and Traconitis, and Lysanias ruler of Abilene - during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the Word of God came to John son Zechariah in the desert."

All of these people were real people and all of them have historical records of their existence. Luke wants the reader to know that it is historically accurate what he has written. For example in mythology we never see anything that points to historically accurate figures, but made up people. This points to the opposite.

Now to address those who have been wondering about the several transcriptions of the bible over the years, and how the different versions play an affect on the meaning of it. This is from the message that will be linked at the end of this post, and the pastor says that this is a list of ancient writings that historians consider trustworthy and accurate of what the original author intended:
  • Julius Caesar - Gaelic Wars - 10 copies that still exist today - the gap between when the original was written and the copy was 1000 years. (remember this is considered historically accurate)
  • Pliny the Elder - Natural History - 7 copies that still exist today - gap is around 750 years.
  • Homer - Iliad - 600 copies that still exist today - gap is around 1000 years.
  • The Bible - 24,000 copies (new testament) that still exist today - some copies date as close as 50 years to the original.
"The New Testament has not only survived in more manuscripts than any other book from antiquity, but it has survived in a purer form than any other great book - a form that is 99.5% pure." - Norman Geisler - Scholar

50 years... compared to the Iliad which is considered one of the most historically accurate books known to man, and the gap between the original and the copy was 1000 years.

"If we compare the present state of the New Testament text with that of any other ancient writing, we must declare it to be marvelously correct. Such was the care with which the New Tewtament has been copied."
- Benjamin Warfield - Scholar

Works Cited
Anderson, Jason, auth. "Is the Bible Trustworthy." EBC. N.p., 25 May 2013. web. 17 Jun 2013. <http://eaglebrookchurch.com/media-resources/weekend-messages/is-the-bible-trustworthy/>.