• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Bible/come to Jesus

vallad_centrius

Legacy Supporter 2
(Going to hold off swearing, but only becuase I feel it would be disrespectful towards @bob_de_blastoise 's post, also I have no spell check on this computer, so I will be misspelling a good number of words.)

Look, I can see this is up to 20 pages, and at first I was suprisingly impressed how mature the first couple of posts were, but I didn't make it through the first page before the smart-alecks started going off.

Regardless what you believe, whether it be science, god, jedism, or fairies, you all need to learn that in the end, it really doesn't matter.

Now, I have been the asshole athiest, judging people for being "foolish enough to believe such crap". As I grew older, I began to see things as they really were. Religion might seem silly to some of us, but do you know what they have that we don't? Faith. Hope. An optimistic end to look forward. I grew to envy that, becuase the thought that one day I would be nothing was hard to bare. Seriously, imagine not existing, being forgotten, never to be thought of again. The likelyhood of any of our names being remembered in history is slim to none.

The point I am trying to make is, going out of your way to point at the flaws of another's religious beliefs is petty. Its nothing more then trying to prove how right you think you are. It is one thing to have a philisophical debate about religion and beliefs and its another to ask stupid questions just to make a point. One is an intelligent conversation, the other is just being a jerk for the sake of it.

Before you continue to post here, please think about what it is you are going to say, are you saying it becuase you are truely curious? Then reword it to make sure what you are saying is n't taken as an attack. If you just want to bash on Christianity, why bother? What do you really get out of that?

Remember, just becuase 1 person did soemthing stupid in the name of a religion, does not mean that everyone of that religion is guilty of that crime.

@bob_de_blastoise, You were brave to post your beliefs here, I hope the community hasn't been too harsh.

Sincerely,
Micheal, the Jedi.

P.S.

You CANNOT make someone believe in your religion. That is something each person must do themselves. Trying to prove others that their beliefs are wrong and that yours are better is just as petty as attacking anothers beliefs to be a pain.

Im going to agree with sidgil..

btw i just posted my opinions here since i just happen to scavenge one of my old notebooks in biology which had some stuffs about this.. and i get bashed for having bad grammar... i did say that i have bad grammar and mispell alot.. seriously >.> i expected some friendly replies to my opinion,

i did not want anyone to be offended or anything, i just wanted to tell you guys what my opinion is based from the knowledge i gathered and learned, seriously i wanted replies that could help me learn some things or maybe things that i could get insights, instead i got rude, hate, and bashing replies... still, i got good knowledge and more information from HelsEch

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
You know what a good movie involving different belief systems is? Erik the viking. Its on Netflix.
This movie about a group of vikings going on a voyage to find the rainbow bridge to Asgard and awaken the gods to end Ragnarok. The whole time they are accompanied by a Christian missionary, who through out the entirity of the movie lliterally CANNOT see any of the Norse Mythology that the vikings encounter. While yes, this can be interpreted as a jab at Christians being blinded by their faith, it also shows how just becuase one person believes in something that seems true and real to them, it does not mean that everyone else will see it the same way.

HelsEch

ICE ICE ICE!
Im going to agree with sidgil..

btw i just posted my opinions here since i just happen to scavenge one of my old notebooks in biology which had some stuffs about this.. and i get bashed for having bad grammar... i did say that i have bad grammar and mispell alot.. seriously >.> i expected some friendly replies to my opinion

I'd like to think I gave you my opinion well enough. I admit I was harsh about your notes, but mainly because they weren't right as opposed to your grammatical mistakes. I was the person who loved learning things more than anyone, but school; the teachers, students, methods, et al.; left a horrible aftertaste. That probably made me a bit ruder than I should have been and I'm sorry.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
  • Two: People being burnt at the stake was reserved for those who were accused of witchcraft, who were mostly those who practiced other folk-religions and used traditional medical practices not approved by the church.
  • Three: When given a choice, people will make their own choice -- not the one you will assume they will make; they are not you and as such they have had their own experiences which influence the decisions they will make, so they will not necessarily do as you think they will.
  • Four: Morality, perceived Good, and perceived Evil is determined by society. In a society where you are raised that killing someone for giving a starving child bread is a Good act, then you would believe that morally it is a Good act even if in another it would be considered Evil. This is whether or not religion is present.

• The catolic church did if not burn people, kill and abuse scientists in central Europe.
  • Yes, people will make their own choice, but if they're raised in a religious home they'll most likely choose to be religious. If you're raised in a neutral home, you'll most likely stay neutral. and so on.. You learn to believe the same way you learn morals and how to walk.
  • To put it this way: (almost) all the worlds big and small religions have about the same set of moral rules, and yet, the place in the world with most conflict is in the middle east a place where most people are believing. So yea, moral are formed by the society..
I saw a program on the telly some days ago, that compared some events in the bible with the local history, and other sources. It found christianity, Judism, Islam and himduism to have extremely similar descriptions of certain events.. (hinduism is way older than the others).

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I saw a program on the telly some days ago, that compared some events in the bible with the local history, and other sources. It found christianity, Judism, Islam and himduism to have extremely similar descriptions of certain events.. (hinduism is way older than the others).

Obviously, all the modern religions spawned out of each other and older religions.

The jewish religion spawned out of Akhenaten, christianity out of Jews, Islam out of Christianity and jews and Budhism out of Hinduism.

Ostadar

Legacy Supporter 7
  • The catolic church did if not burn people, kill and abuse scientists in central Europe.
  • Yes, people will make their own choice, but if they're raised in a religious home they'll most likely choose to be religious. If you're raised in a neutral home, you'll most likely stay neutral. and so on.. You learn to believe the same way you learn morals and how to walk.
  • To put it this way: (almost) all the worlds big and small religions have about the same set of moral rules, and yet, the place in the world with most conflict is in the middle east a place where most people are believing. So yea, moral are formed by the society..

The catholic church Silenced scientists and their work. Execution was used very little, it was more common to excommunicate them and/or place them under permanent house-arrest. In the cases that execution were used it was in situations were they did things like grave robbery.

Also, I know that if a child is raised in a home with a strong faith in a particular religion there will be a greater likelihood that they will follow the particular households religion. So on and so forth. There is also the fact that many people just say that are believers of a faith without following any of the moral teachings just because they grew up within a household that contained that faith. So, I agree. Partly.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Matthew 10:36- "I have come not to bring peace but a sword"
Isaiah 9:6- "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Contradiction?

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
Isaiah 9:6- "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Contradiction?
Peace and sword don't have to be interpretated so obtusely. If you read the verse surrounding it is more like Jesus questioning whether his followers families matter more to them than him. Verse should never be taken out of context, and peace is not always a peaceful nation, it may be a peaceful household or mind. Refernce these passages if you want to reinforce the non literal intepretation of the sword. Matthew 26:52-53, Luke 12:49-53. The new testament never endorses spreading the word by the sword.

Ostadar

Legacy Supporter 7

Contradiction?
Edit: WoleverEntun said it as I typing, so nevermind. No need to repeat the statement.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
Stop beating around the bush. You still didn't answer my question. Either answer it or don't. Can you say there wouldn't have been less wars throughout history if it wasn't for religion? Oh and I fixed your post.

Here's a few religions wars you should take note of.
  • Thirty Years' War 1618-1648
  • French Wars of Religion 1562-1598
  • Nigerian Civil War 1967-1970
  • Second Sudanese Civil War 1983-2005
  • Crusades 1095-1291
  • Lebanese Civil War 1975-1990
Imagine how many more wars there would be if there was no religion??? No morals??? Would we have made it this far if there was no religion??? Believer or not religion overall helped humanity.When you get into wars most of it is the religion bein interpreted wrong or people who do not truly believe but claim to be a believer manipulating the religion to his own selfish wants and needs.

Arguing about the causes of religion is not the point of this thread. The point is to spread te Gospel. Please don't let his threa stray further from its meaning... Thank you:)

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
(Going to hold off swearing, but only becuase I feel it would be disrespectful towards bob_de_blastoise 's post, also I have no spell check on this computer, so I will be misspelling a good number of words.)

Look, I can see this is up to 20 pages, and at first I was suprisingly impressed how mature the first couple of posts were, but I didn't make it through the first page before the smart-alecks started going off.

Regardless what you believe, whether it be science, god, jedism, or fairies, you all need to learn that in the end, it really doesn't matter.

Now, I have been the asshole athiest, judging people for being "foolish enough to believe such crap". As I grew older, I began to see things as they really were. Religion might seem silly to some of us, but do you know what they have that we don't? Faith. Hope. An optimistic end to look forward. I grew to envy that, becuase the thought that one day I would be nothing was hard to bare. Seriously, imagine not existing, being forgotten, never to be thought of again. The likelyhood of any of our names being remembered in history is slim to none.

The point I am trying to make is, going out of your way to point at the flaws of another's religious beliefs is petty. Its nothing more then trying to prove how right you think you are. It is one thing to have a philisophical debate about religion and beliefs and its another to ask stupid questions just to make a point. One is an intelligent conversation, the other is just being a jerk for the sake of it.

Before you continue to post here, please think about what it is you are going to say, are you saying it becuase you are truely curious? Then reword it to make sure what you are saying is n't taken as an attack. If you just want to bash on Christianity, why bother? What do you really get out of that?

Remember, just becuase 1 person did soemthing stupid in the name of a religion, does not mean that everyone of that religion is guilty of that crime.

bob_de_blastoise, You were brave to post your beliefs here, I hope the community hasn't been too harsh.

Sincerely,
Micheal, the Jedi.

P.S.

You CANNOT make someone believe in your religion. That is something each person must do themselves. Trying to prove others that their beliefs are wrong and that yours are better is just as petty as attacking anothers beliefs to be a pain.
I appreciate you posting in a respectful manner :) by the way I'm not trying to spread Christianity, just trying to plants seeds and leave it to God to nourish and spread

P.S. sorry for grammer, doing this off of phone

Acherous

Legacy Supporter 9
Imagine how many more wars there would be if there was no religion??? No morals??? Would we have made it this far if there was no religion??? Believer or not religion overall helped humanity.When you get into wars most of it is the religion bein interpreted wrong or people who do not truly believe but claim to be a believer manipulating the religion to his own selfish wants and needs.

Arguing about the causes of religion is not the point of this thread. The point is to spread te Gospel. Please don't let his threa stray further from its meaning... Thank you:)

Alright, this will be my last post here. Sorry for derailing it too much. I do however want to say that relgion =/= morals. I'm an atheist and I'm a very moral person. I know the difference between right and wrong and I will go out of the way to help my fellow man.

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
Alright, this will be my last post here. Sorry for derailing it too much. I do however want to say that relgion =/= morals. I'm an atheist and I'm a very moral person. I know the difference between right and wrong and I will go out of the way to help my fellow man.
I thoroughly agree with this and I also apologize for straying a little. However, I think it is safe to say that Christianity is the foundation of all that is good (and bad) of western morals. Now it is up to everyone, religious and secular, to maintain them.

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
Science disproves its self every day. one of Einsteins theories was proven wrong making who knows how much other science invalid

P.S. I know how much you love to prove Christianity wrong, but this thread is for those who want to learn more so please lay off the posting. You can listen if u want, but if you don't have a genuine want to learn and be saved stop posting please.. Thank u

I know you're trying to calm things down and bring this thread back on topic with that last statement, but you're also trying to get the last word by adding that bit at the top.
If you want things to end, do not respond to them on this thread, thinking they wont respond back.

Anywhoo~ I don't think this thread has ever managed it's desired purpose and you should probably think about requesting a lock. It's admirable you're trying to help people, but I think it's causing a bit of undesired clash.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
To answer Acherous' main question about there being less wars without religion...

In my opinion, religion was a source of clash, but not more than that of classism, not more than that of regionalism, etc. Humanity would have (and has in many cases) found something else to fight over.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
Hey I was looking around Lifeway and this caught my eye,http://reviews.christianbook.com/20...ible-unauthorized-edition-reviews/reviews.htm At the beginning it has lots of questions Atheist have. several of the ones discussed here were answered,including the one about religious causing wars,in a way better than I could explain it. It also includes the New Testament. Just thought it was interesting if any one of you guys wanted to check it out. You can find it at Lifeway book stores.