• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

-Herocraft Community- Currency Poll

What do you want to be the currency of the next map to be?

• Total voters

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
YES! THAT is a decent suggestion! Maybe 1% of their coin goes to the player that kills them? :D See, that'll make things more hardcore, promoting bodyguards and secret rails to spawn, and still uses coin, not gold in their inventory.
His idea is fine and is more practical because it works off our current system. That said, I'm done with your tone.

Upb34t

Legacy Supporter 3
I vote for gold for main currency with emeralds being rewards of quests with which you can buy special stuff.

Assuming we'd have to pay with gold instead of coins, there would be even less world-guild-pvp (not random pvp whenever you encounter another player) as you usually need money to quickly pick up new armor and weapons near the battleground to be able to get back into the fight quickly. For example: If you died and respawned at a graveyard, you'd have to run back to your town/plot/residence to get some gear or gold. So the fights would be over as soon as a part of one guild was killed, because they'd need quite a while to get back to the fight, whereas in the meantime their guildmates get killed.

Even more so if the opposing guild kills a few people and gets their gold (that some of them might have carried). Would they really risk to stay longer and fight more people, if they have the gathered gold in their inventory?
I don't think so. So even the winning guild would retreat just to not give the other guild the chance of winning their gold back, leading to incredible short-lasting fights.

It also encourages hiding behind your safe walls even more. Leaving the house at a time when everyone is online with the intentions of buying items comes close to commiting suicide as loads of people will camp the market (unless a HG directly leads to it or it is PVP-OFF).

On the other hand having gold as currency instead of coins sounds like a great idea to me lorewise.
Trading with gold seems to be a lot more realistic than paying with "coins" that can't be taken from you. Back in the days you did pay with a bag of physical gold coins. And Herocraft is a lot more into the "lore-direction", so why not go for another approach to get the "Hero"-feel.

In DG for example: I've bought a Nexus Plot in the 2nd or 3rd week after the map start and have never had to worry about being stolen from (besides exploiters), because it was impenetrable. Nobody could take my coins away either. All I could lose when exploring was a set of armor, my tools, food and the items I found during my journey.
And where was the RP-feel? Nonexistent!
I believe gold as currency would change that drastically. It would encourage player interaction, having allies, knowing who your enemies are and not just bluntly sitting in your DG Plot all day (what I was doing for 3+ months of DG).

And it would enhance the thief class. Honestly I've never played a thief, but I've never seen the point in it, unless you would've encountered a player that unknowingly carried his stacks of valuables in his inventory.

And as a quick edit: Why is everyone against change? "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" <- I get that, but why do you fight trying to improve it? Yes, it is balanced, it was convenient. Too convenient in my eyes...
And where would Herocraft be without steady improvement, testing and trying new concepts? Not in the state we all love it...

MajorasMask

Ungodly

I strongly agree with your first points.

About the last ones, I don't think it is nesseccary to sacrifice PvP and conviniency, also a system which already works, just for lore and the ''feel of RP''. These both don't really contribute to the server, and are more trivial benefits.

As for thieves, they already work wonders! :p I usually see people in the TD looking for gold... :p And they get it! :(

malmenca

Diamond
As for proof, I don't claim to have proof that mine is better, I am just postulating. And as the few people that have posted have said, they seem to prefer using gold over emeralds, and coin over gold. Fine.

I can affirm that it WILL work. we know:
All [Players(a)] are [able to trade items(b)]
All [Those able to trade gold(c)] are [players(a)]
Therefore
All [Those able to trade gold(c)] are [able to trade items(b)]

All A are B
All C are A
Therefore:
All C are B

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Therefore
From there it's a matter of how well it will work, which is a more complicated issue. And that's where folks hop off the train.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
As for proof, I don't claim to have proof that mine is better, I am just postulating. And as the few people that have posted have said, they seem to prefer using gold over emeralds, and coin over gold. Fine.

Therefore

All A are B
All C are A
Therefore:
All C are B

Errrr... errrrmm.... What? :p

When I say ''it might not work'', I mean it could come with unwanted side effects, economic issues, ect. Sure, trading is a system that can work in the sense that it's fully possible.

@Upb34t It all depends on what you think an ''improvement'' is. Not all ''New Concepts'' should be tested. Should we test this one, for instance, ''Everyone, everyday, has to get 10 stacks of wool and then give them to Kainzo''. As you can see, that's extreme, so we shouldn't test that. I think the idea of ''gold in your inventory'' is extreme too.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Errrr... errrrmm.... What? :p

When I say ''it might not work'', I mean it could come with unwanted side effects, economic issues, ect. Sure, trading is a system that can work in the sense that it's fully possible.

@Upb34t It all depends on what you think an ''improvement'' is. Not all ''New Concepts'' should be tested. Should we test this one, for instance, ''Everyone, everyday, has to get 10 stacks of wool and then give them to Kainzo''. As you can see, that's extreme, so we shouldn't test that. I think the idea of ''gold in your inventory'' is extreme too.
Since it seems we're carrying on, should I detail the part where you don't have to carry all of your gold on your person at all times?

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
How so? What, do you leave it at home? :D I know this already! :p
So what's extreme about it if you can choose how much risk you're going to take? Plus Ender Chests, Chest Minecarts, and those banks (which after re-reading my old thread are likely not so necessary).

MajorasMask

Ungodly
So what's extreme about it if you can choose how much risk you're going to take? Plus Ender Chests, Chest Minecarts, and those banks (which after re-reading my old thread are likely not so necessary).

It's extreme in a sense that it goes far beyond what we currently have, also without any preparation. Like what Kainzo said, ''Baby steps''. It's also extreme because, well, it gets rid of what, currently, most players enjoy/are happy with.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
It's extreme in a sense that it goes far beyond what we currently have, also without any preparation. Like what Kainzo said, ''Baby steps''. It's also extreme because, well, it gets rid of what, currently, most players enjoy/are happy with.
In the other post your example was extreme because it was impossible from the perspective of the players. My idea is extreme for totally different reasons. In the sense that it's a departure from what we have available to us now I agree that it is, but if it were hammered out among the community and the staff began to work on it, it would suddenly not be extreme any more. Heck, it could even be enjoyable.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
In the other post your example was extreme because it was impossible from the perspective of the players. My idea is extreme for totally different reasons. In the sense that it's a departure from what we have available to us now I agree that it is, but if it were hammered out among the community and the staff began to work on it, it would suddenly not be extreme any more. Heck, it could even be enjoyable.

True, but yet we come back to the inconvenience that it creates, making it annoying for the players. The ''benefits'' which it could create could easily be done using the current system with very minor changes. You'd only introduce something like this for the benefits, so getting the same desired outcome through a simpler method would be best, IMO.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
True, but yet we come back to the inconvenience that it creates, making it annoying for the players. The ''benefits'' which it could create could easily be done using the current system with very minor changes. You'd only introduce something like this for the benefits, so getting the same desired outcome through a simpler method would be best, IMO.
And that's where we disagree. Utilitarian versus immersive. What we have works. It functions. What I suggest functions, but is less streamlined and more centered around the player as he is in the game rather than the player at the keyboard.

A

alexhoff1

Tally is 54:9 with gold in the lead.
Will kainzo listen to the poll? That's the only question remaining!