• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

-Herocraft Community- Currency Poll

What do you want to be the currency of the next map to be?

• Total voters

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
The current map is coming to a near and it has been announced that emerald may possibly replace gold as the main currency. The question is now, what does the herocraft community think should be the currency now? Vote now!

Just noticed I said "to be" twice in the poll question lol. Oh well.

A

alexhoff1

Gold - common enough, can't be farmed inside of townships (emeralds can be farmed).

Gold - requires atleast some risk to obtain (mobs, players, lava)

just a few reasons for gold.

malmenca

Diamond
To me it comes down to the possibility of restricting villagers. If you restrict say, the 21 wheat to buy an emerald, then by all means I would use emeralds. If not, gold all the way

The addition of emeralds to minecraft is the addition of a currency, I don't see why we wouldn't use it. It attaches a value to each item.

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
Gold should remain the official currency that DHX exchanges for credits.

Emeralds should be used primarily for trading to villagers, and secondarily as a decorative item. Villagers should be restricted so that only Merchants can trade with them (once they reach a certain level, of course.) Miners should also have, at the very least, a high chance for a double drop when mining emeralds. This would bring the Miner class up to speed so that it's relatively useful (right now, it feels like it doesn't bring anything to the table compared to other professions) while also giving Merchants another use aside from chest shops.

Emeralds should hold no official value to DHX because of their infinite nature. You should not be able to trade emeralds in exchange for coin to bankers.

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
To me it comes down to the possibility of restricting villagers. If you restrict say, the 21 wheat to buy an emerald, then by all means I would use emeralds. If not, gold all the way

The addition of emeralds to minecraft is the addition of a currency, I don't see why we wouldn't use it. It attaches a value to each item.

It introduces a currency to vanilla Minecraft because the game lacked any sense of currency. Before, items were traded based on how useful they were to you. In Herocraft, we have a currency: gold.

With my idea, emeralds are still a currency, but their value is limited entirely to villagers. In essence, we would have two different types of currency: one that villagers care about, and one that the DHX cares about.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
If emerald does become the currency, I think villagers should only be able to be found in the trade district on the new map, so everyone has to go to 1 spot in order to trade with villagers instead of having them everywhere spread out ready to be abused.

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
If emerald does become the currency, I think villagers should only be able to be found in the trade district on the new map, so everyone has to go to 1 spot in order to trade with villagers instead of having them everywhere spread out ready to be abused.

I disagree. The presence of a villager in a protected area, such as a town, would present one more asset that cities will be able to present to prospective citizens. It would also be another element that, if not properly guarded or hidden, can easily be destroyed by a raiding party.

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
Off-topic, but I'm wondering: What impact will villager trading have on player income through chest shops?

That depends entirely on how villagers can be found and how the trading system will be modified. Which depends entirely on how our currency system will be modified with the introduction of emeralds (if it will be modified at all!)

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Gold should remain the official currency that DHX exchanges for credits.

Emeralds should be used primarily for trading to villagers, and secondarily as a decorative item.

Sounds good to me.

There are too many unknowns associated with the villager/emerald trading arrangements to risk the HC economy by introducing emeralds as currency from the start. So keep gold as the official currency at the beginning, and test out the villager-emerald trading system by watching how it goes for a bit.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Gold, all the way, 100%, always.

Gold 2012! Copied from a previous thread, and edited, my thoughts:

Yeah, in all honesty, i'd prefer to see just gold in the economy. I've stated what i'd like if both gold and emeralds were to be used, or just emeralds, though i'd easily settle for just gold.

I'd like to see a gold-based economy (no emeralds) because:

- The process is simple and gold has multiple uses (coin for plots, towns, changing classes/specs, ect). Replacing gold with emeralds could impact the current uses that gold/coin have (see below).
- This form of currency hasn't had any flaws/errors in the past.
- This system works a lot easier, it can be done by any player at any time.
- It is easier to use than introducing a whole new economic system (player base wise, some may not understand).
- It is easier to use than introducing a whole new economic system (coding wise, it may take time to sort out).
- It's a traditional MC currency.
- You gain exp through gold mining.

Reasons I don't want to see emeralds (both with gold and without):

- Emeralds take too long to get, meaning it'll be a while till we see any towns/specced players (they won't have the money). This will really damage a few communities that can't access villagers/items needed to trade. Gold is always there for everyone, in any biome, at any time. Gold is our friend! :p
- Emeralds are renewable.
- Players could exploit/abuse the trading system to gain many emeralds within minutes. Even with emerald prices being at around 1c per piece, this can earn people a lot of money in a very short period of time.
- The prices of everything, currently, is all based around gold costing 9c to town mayors/SICs/bankers. Introducing emeralds would change all of this, possibly making it hard to decide what new prices should be. This will impact the economy big time, something unnecessary at the begining of a map.

Those are my thoughts. What do you think? (I'll tag people relevant)

@Kainzo
@Dwarfers
@alexhoff1
@Nalestom
@Danda
@WitchOnaRampage

NamelessFreak

Legacy Supporter 5
Gold, all the way, 100%, always.

Gold 2012! Copied from a previous thread, and edited, my thoughts:

Yeah, in all honesty, i'd prefer to see just gold in the economy. I've stated what i'd like if both gold and emeralds were to be used, or just emeralds, though i'd easily settle for just gold.

I'd like to see a gold-based economy (no emeralds) because:

- The process is simple and gold has multiple uses (coin for plots, towns, changing classes/specs, ect). Replacing gold with emeralds could impact the current uses that gold/coin have (see below).
- It is easier to use than introducing a whole new economic system (player base wise, some may not understand).
- It is easier to use than introducing a whole new economic system (coding wise, it may take time to sort out).

Reasons I don't want to see emeralds (both with gold and without):

- Emeralds take too long to get, meaning it'll be a while till we see any towns/specced players (they won't have the money). This will really damage a few communities that can't access villagers/items needed to trade. Gold is always there for everyone, in any biome, at any time. Gold is our friend! :p
- Emeralds are renewable.
- Players could exploit/abuse the trading system to gain many emeralds within minutes. Even with emerald prices being at around 1c per piece, this can earn people a lot of money in a very short period of time.
- The prices of everything, currently, is all based around gold costing 9c to town mayors/SICs/bankers. Introducing emeralds would change all of this, possibly making it hard to decide what new prices should be. This will impact the economy big time, something unnecessary at the begining of a map.

Those are my thoughts. What do you think? (I'll tag people relevant)

@Kainzo
@Dwarfers
@alexhoff1
@Nalestom
@Danda
@WitchOnaRampage
I completely agree with this. Especially with: - Players could exploit/abuse the trading system to gain many emeralds within minutes. Even with emerald prices being at around 1c per piece, this can earn people a lot of money in a very short period of time.

Emerals are somthing that could be easally exploited. And with luck, some payers can find villagers that will give away them practicly for free.

And it seems that most of the voters would like to see gold. There are other things too.
Majority doesn't like changes. As do I.

malmenca

Diamond
It is beyond me to understand why we wouldn't want to adopt the official "correct" minecraft currency as our own. While some of majoras' points are valid, they don't seem, to me, a big deal; I mean, learning a new system is a reason NOT to do it? If our playerbase is that stupid, They shouldn't be playing minecraft, they should be sitting on the floor watching TV with a helmet on at ALL times.

@MajorasMask

^^^ Well duh.. Emerald would replace gold, which in turn would be used for coin for plots/towns etc...

Definitely a valid point but I don't think we should have this mentality in a game that is constantly updating a moving forward.

How can u determine that gold is easier? Have you used Emeralds as a currency yet? Emeralds can be done by any player at any time aswell.

When has ease ever been priority. Kainzocraft never takes the easy way out!

Funny story, Emeralds are the tradition MC currency. Prior to that, there was no currency.

I don't understand why this has any impact on it being the money standard.

--------------------------------------------------

In vanilla minecraft gold is effectually worthless. It is given an artificial value in Herocraft in order to create an economy.

Emeralds, on the other hand, have a value in vanilla minecraft. While they too have limited crafting possibilities, villagers will trade items to you for them.

--------------------------------------------------

For those that seem to think the fact that emeralds are "renewable" and thus a problem, why does it matter? Assuming we can eliminate 21 wheat=1 emerald it shouldn't be a problem. I would postulate that a renewable currency would be better seeing as the HC economy doesn't circulate, meaning the gold u sell to DHX rarely leaves DHX (save for the occasional server project) so technically the gold could run out.

Sniped105

Legacy Supporter 3
It's a hard choice in my oppinion: I like the idea of gold actually being worth something, but I am also thinking of down the maps life in terms of getting it. It slowly gets harder and harder as resources get scarce. With emeralds, it's renewable, so it won't run out, but then theres the whole 21 wheat for an emerald with villagers, not to mention it is hard to find without trading

MajorasMask

Ungodly
@malmenca

I'll reply to each point:

-The process of getting and selling gold is much easier than getting and selling emeralds. People mine, for experience and minerals. Gold comes along with this, helping the player. As for emeralds, they are much rarer, leaving players one option: villagers. The process of getting emeralds from villagers is longer, in addition, not everyone will have access to villagers.

- ''Moving forward'' shouldn't occur unless flaws/errors are fixed. If you ''move forward'' with flaws, then the system can be abused and the whole thing goes to poop.

- To get emeralds, you need access to a villager, yes? Then, you need to make sure the villager will SELL emeralds. Then, you need the items available to trade. THEN, you need to sell the emeralds. Yeah, I think getting gold is easier. Consider the fact that not everyone will have access to villagers too.

- We want to see the new map soon and running smoothly. Trying to introduce something like this, not knowing if it'll work or not, takes time and effort, increasing the time we need to wait for the map. If the whole things goes wrong or doesn't work, then people won't be able to make towns, buy plots, make regions, spec, ect. This'll slow the community down a lot. It is much easier to use gold, it is simple to reintroduce and WORKS.

- Many MC servers have used gold as a currency until now. I say ''traditional'' because I mean ''old fashioned''. I know emeralds are the new ''currency'', that doesn't mean they'll work though, does it? We know gold works, ''if it isn't broken, don't fix it''.

- Getting emeralds is a long process, more like a chore. Getting gold is a lot better, you have a chance at getting more minerals and also experience, making it worth the time. Emeralds, well, you don't really get much.

- I don't understand your point about, ''In vanilla''. How is it relevant? Yes, they are used as currency in vanilla, but that doesn't mean they'll be a good currency in Herocraft (have you noticed we arn't a vanilla server).

- Being renewable means it is more likely to be exploited/abused. Diamonds were renewable, and gold nuggets, last map, but you had to work hard for them, and you didn't get many at a time. If you get your hands on a villager, create an automatic farm, you can get TONS of emeralds. To say ''fix the *insert food resource here* for 1 emerald'' that means there is just more for the coders/staff to do in order to change the game.

My point is, switching to emeralds just isn't worth it. It'll take too long and probably won't work.

Finally, as you can see from the poll, the players want gold. Not emeralds.

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
I think that gold should be the main currency to sell, but then in the td there should be a shop area with npc's, or whatnot where you can trade your emeralds for reasonably priced items.. Just so there's still a point to them cause we all know, 2nd day of map npc's villages will be all wiped clean.