• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Gold as Currency

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I was throwing some ideas around and this is still rather half-baked, but it's an intriguing idea to me.
What if we used gold nuggets, ingots and blocks instead of coin? Some things I mention aren't available right now, but are planned for the future.

What this would change:

Taxes- If we get Hero Strongholds it may be possible to mostly or totally automate townships, and from there we could just use a gold-eating chest for taking up taxes. And if you can't pay the taxes, your town region is set to expire after a certain time. I would rather that DHX store gold instead of burning it. They could buy materials for the construction of dungeons or something. Do it as legit as possible, even on staff-run things.

Chest Shops- These could still work, but there would need to be a chest for collecting gold while the shopkeeper is away. Of course, they'll be around to pick up their profits and restock, so maybe it would add to the atmosphere of being a Merchant.

Mob Arenas- Could make the fee gold instead of a diamond. Easy peasy. May want to rebalance how much gold a person gets for clearing one though, depending on stuff. And in my perfect world I would link Mob Arenas to DHX.

Voting- Simply spawn a nugget or two instead of coin.

Gambling- Gamble with gold. Maybe have a chest for bets that locks while the game is running, or just take it up automatically. And heck, maybe we could add poker or something.

I could see donors getting "wallets" to store a certain amount of gold in, or folks using Ender Chests to store gold from their homes and retrieve it when the want to trade. And on that note, some extra functionality for the Ender Chest may be fun, like letting Merchants deposit an item into some other person's Ender Chest, or alternate Ender Chest "accounts".

This would surely upset the status quo, but I don't think it would be a bad change. Opinions?

arcanegrove

Obsidian
I love it! I've been thinking of a alternative to coins, this would be awesome. This would also give a risk factor traveling to spawn. you would have to bring a few nuggets to buy from shops. Also, this would make Hellgates a much more profitable skill. All around great idea, just 1 problem. What if you die and spawn in a GY? This would make redstone chest shops in GY usless.

Bingy1218

Legacy Supporter 4
The only issue I see with this is that Items as a currency aren't gonna create any form of market because each item will have a set price, Also I'm not sure if everyone is exactly keen on walking around with a lot of gold ingots in their pockets coz who knows what could happen :\
Another issue I see with this is how people plan on paying one another without having to be next to each other

I like the idea and understand its "half-baked" and it may actually have a chance however there may be to many complications from switching from the current system to this system

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Had a moment online, thought I would reply.

Arcane- You could walk to your destination or a Herogate... or Warp. Or maybe get the redstone free on a cooldown. Or ask for a port. Or maybe the wallet idea could be based on your status as a Crafter.

Mormon- It would take a good deal of work to implement, and our current system isn't broken. But this could potentially be very interesting and lend a lot of atmosphere to the economic aspects of the game. So I think it's worth at least a little consideration.

Bingy- I don't get how it would set concrete prices. Money is money whether it's in your inventory or not. And long-range transactions would be less convenient, but not at all impossible- Ender Chests and Professions could take a bigger role to account for it. But it sure would encourage the common man to get closer, huh? Which is again good for atmosphere and makes trading zones a bit more necessary.

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
I think I'd have to disagree, in this situation too much could be stolen during transport I think, it would be like changing from credit cards to only coins, no banks, loans etc. What would be interesting in this situation would be Insurance posts, like those the Templars established, you put in money in one spot, travel to the next one, and withdraw the same amount there.