• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

-Herocraft Community- Currency Poll

What do you want to be the currency of the next map to be?

• Total voters

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I think that gold should be the main currency to sell, but then in the td there should be a shop area with npc's, or whatnot where you can trade your emeralds for reasonably priced items.. Just so there's still a point to them cause we all know, 2nd day of map npc's villages will be all wiped clean.

Absolutely! I'm not saying get rid of emeralds all together, that would be silly! :p Just keep emeralds away from coin and DHX, leave it at Gold ignots = 9c each. :p Also, it would be cool to have a section of the trade district for villagers only, to allow players to access this part of the game. :p

@Kainzo What do you think?

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
Absolutely! I'm not saying get rid of emeralds all together, that would be silly! :p Just keep emeralds away from coin and DHX, leave it at Gold ignots = 9c each. :p Also, it would be cool to have a section of the trade district for villagers only, to allow players to access this part of the game. :p

@Kainzo What do you think?
Yeah, all the npc's would probably be slaughtered by day 2, so we will have no way to trade to them. So if there's a plugin where you can spawn the npc's and make them trade for things you specify, that would be cool.

EDIT: I looked it up, and turns out there is @Kainzo take a look at this plugin for npc trading :D (nevermind the plugins was very outdated - still linked)

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
As an added point to why we should keep gold:
Some people had villager eggs, and they used them when the map came back. They then traded a whole bunch, and managed to get tons of emeralds. I forgot exactly how many emerald blocks there were, but I think between 35 and 45. We will go ahead and go with 35, and then 45, for this following part.

35 Blocks x 9 = 315 Emeralds

315 Emeralds x 9c = 2,835c

~ ~ ~ ~

45 Blocks x 9 = 405 Emeralds

405 Emeralds x 9c = 3,645c

From this, you can see that at least one person managed to gain between 2,830c and 3,640c in one single day, if it were this new map. Can you see this really working as an economy when people can do things like this? You, meanwhile, can not do this with Gold. To me, it seems pretty clear which is the correct answer, here.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
^ So true. Even if emeralds were reduced in value, to 1c, there would still be this issue (just get 5 people and some automatic farms).

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I vote gold. As a matter of fact, I vote that things ought to be paid for in physical, inventory-filling gold, with these guidelines:
  • DHX serves to transfer gold into and out of bank accounts. Towns can set up banks that will do much the same thing. If the base value of gold is 10c, perhaps each bank will shave a bit off of that, giving the person depositing their gold 9c but keeping one for themselves. This is then recirculated when the town spends money.
  • Chest shops are tied to a till chest which collects gold traded for the shop's products, and condenses it into bars and/or blocks. Any chest shop owned by the same person within x-distance will send money to the till chest.
  • Chest shops will make change.
  • Higher-ranked townships get the option to let citizens or others use bank accounts to purchase things within their borders. This could come with an additional fee but it would not be mandatory.
  • Iffy: Town upkeep, etc. has to be paid for through a gold-eating chest. The chest cannot be LWC'd but can be held behind regioned blocks. Probably want to wait for sub-region functionality before considering this.
I understand that it would be a lot of work, but this is just my ideal HC currency system. Could make for some interesting economic factors on the server as well.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I vote gold. As a matter of fact, I vote that things ought to be paid for in physical, inventory-filling gold, with these guidelines:
  • DHX serves to transfer gold into and out of bank accounts. Towns can set up banks that will do much the same thing. If the base value of gold is 10c, perhaps each bank will shave a bit off of that, giving the person depositing their gold 9c but keeping one for themselves. This is then recirculated when the town spends money.
  • Chest shops are tied to a till chest which collects gold traded for the shop's products, and condenses it into bars and/or blocks. Any chest shop owned by the same person within x-distance will send money to the till chest.
  • Chest shops will make change.
  • Higher-ranked townships get the option to let citizens or others use bank accounts to purchase things within their borders. This could come with an additional fee but it would not be mandatory.
  • Iffy: Town upkeep, etc. has to be paid for through a gold-eating chest. The chest cannot be LWC'd but can be held behind regioned blocks. Probably want to wait for sub-region functionality before considering this.
I understand that it would be a lot of work, but this is just my ideal HC currency system. Could make for some interesting economic factors on the server as well.

I don't really see the need for gold being in your inventory in order to buy things. I think it is a lot easier for the player just to use the current commands. :p

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Yeah. I've seen this suggestion before and I think it's kinda useless. The way it works now is fine, I don't see any reason that it should be changed! :p
It would be there to make things more difficult. If you get killed, you'd lose whatever money you had on you. Maybe Thieves could draw some out of your account somehow. Do I go out to this place to buy things and chance getting attacked by raiders or do I find some other way to acquire it?
In-character is best character.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
It would be there to make things more difficult. If you get killed, you'd lose whatever money you had on you. Maybe Thieves could draw some out of your account somehow. Do I go out to this place to buy things and chance getting attacked by raiders or do I find some other way to acquire it?

I'm not looking at it in the sense of difficulty, but more in the sense that i'll make things more convinient. It'll take longer to go to spawn, find something you like, realise you don't have the cash ON you, going back, getting it, then returning. It's much faster and beneficial to the economy to allow players to keep money on their account rather than their inventory.

The threat of dying, to either player or MOB, could also influence people to NOT go out to shops. This'll also damage the economy.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I'm not looking at it in the sense of difficulty, but more in the sense that i'll make things more convinient. It'll take longer to go to spawn, find something you like, realise you don't have the cash ON you, going back, getting it, then returning. It's much faster and beneficial to the economy to allow players to keep money on their account rather than their inventory.

The threat of dying, to either player or MOB, could also influence people to NOT go out to shops. This'll also damage the economy.
I did mention banks, didn't I? Spawn would have a bank. Spawn would have THE bank.
If it's not worth a death, then by all means do something different. Get some people together and go in a group, or buy a port. But you can't always do that. And then it's decision time.

Convenience isn't everything, speed isn't everything. This is specifically to make things tougher to do. That's been established. I think there will be an economy almost regardless of how currency is set up, and although this could make people more frugal it could also open up new ways of spending money due to the alterations in the playerbase's behavior.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I did mention banks, didn't I? Spawn would have a bank. Spawn would have THE bank.
If it's not worth a death, then by all means do something different. Get some people together and go in a group, or buy a port. But you can't always do that. And then it's decision time.

Convenience isn't everything, speed isn't everything. This is specifically to make things tougher to do. That's been established. I think there will be an economy almost regardless of how currency is set up, and although this could make people more frugal it could also open up new ways of spending money due to the alterations in the playerbase's behavior.

Yes, convenience isn't everything, but in this case, it plays a vital role, along with speed. First off, it'll take time to code, which should be kept on more serious issues/ideas for the server, and second, it just isn't needed. I'll say it again: This sort of suggestion doesn't really benefit anyone. It'll just make it take longer to do things. In addition, what ''new ways of spending money'' could come with this? If anything, ''new ways'' will just come to replace the old ones.

malmenca

Diamond
I agree with Dazuareus. There is no threat of losing your money, EVER. Back on Zeal, when Dmil23 was S.I.C. of that town (the name is escaping me), he would bring one or two people to sell his gold. Because he knew, the west road was a fucking awesome hellhole of pvp-awesomeness and he did not want to lose the gold. Now, most people are far enough from spawn, its easier to jump into a herogate and not have aproblem

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Yes, convenience isn't everything, but in this case, it plays a vital role, along with speed. First off, it'll take time to code, which should be kept on more serious issues/ideas for the server, and second, it just isn't needed. I'll say it again: This sort of suggestion doesn't really benefit anyone. It'll just make it take longer to do things. In addition, what ''new ways of spending money'' could come with this? If anything, ''new ways'' will just come to replace the old ones.
Why's convenience vital? Making things less convenient won't ruin economic transactions forever.

I think your scope is limited. It doesn't have to benefit anyone economically. The benefit is for the people who like game immersion. Minecraft already has a lot going for it in terms of that, and Herocraft more so. But the money aspect in particular has always reminded me that I'm just playing a game, not participating in this "other world". It's too convenient for it's own good in this way. Physical gold with banks is just as functional as what we have, just less convenient.

Bodyguards and other alternate modes of transportation ought to become more common, and banks would provide a new source of income for townships. People will need to make more conscious decisions. Raiders would benefit, but people could prevent themselves from being victimized.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Why's convenience vital? Making things less convenient won't ruin economic transactions forever.

I think your scope is limited. It doesn't have to benefit anyone economically. The benefit is for the people who like game immersion. Minecraft already has a lot going for it in terms of that, and Herocraft more so. But the money aspect in particular has always reminded me that I'm just playing a game, not participating in this "other world". It's too convenient for it's own good in this way. Physical gold with banks is just as functional as what we have, just less convenient.

Bodyguards and other alternate modes of transportation ought to become more common, and banks would provide a new source of income for townships. People will need to make more conscious decisions. Raiders would benefit, but people could prevent themselves from being victimized.

I'll reply to each point-ish:

If things are less convinent, they become more like a chore. They arn't looked at like ''Hey, yeah! I want to do that!'' and more like ''Oh, that'll take a while, i'll do it later''. You said yourself that Minecraft is just a game. Why play a game whereas you have to go through all of that? It isn't fun.

Coin accounts have worked. They've always worked.''Isn't broken? Don't fix it''. It is unneccessary to code and just forces the player to do things that they don't want to do (coin isn't exactly something people can play on HC without).

Also, with gold being used in this way, what WOULD happen to coin? You wouldn't trade gold in for coin, so what happens to trade shops? What if you need to buy something for 4.5c, do you give half a gold bar (presuming gold is 9c)? How would that work?

As for bodyguards and transportation, I doubt you'd see a rise in these. People in Zeal didn't do it, but I presume by the time Dragongarde came around people noticed that you could just set a mark inside DHX and be safe with loot you needed to take to spawn. Or, get group teleported. Both of these methods were available in Zeal. So, I don't think raiders will benefit much. (@malmenca).

As for ''banks'', how do they provide income to townships? What, like, interest? If so, then wouldn't that promote township inactivity (players wouldn't need to go and get resources, they can sit in their town and wait for the bank to print money)?

malmenca

Diamond
If things are less convinent, they become more like a chore.
Not necessarily. It adds to the danger, the thrill. It's not a chore, but possibly an activity in which you may want to involve other people so u don't get PK'd and lose your gold. This may be the first time I've ever used this term properly, but it is actually more HARDCORE.

Coin accounts have worked. They've always worked.''Isn't broken? Don't fix it''.
Because it isn't broken, doesn't mean its the epitome of systems.
While it does work, there are alternatives, both better and worse , that are worth exploring.

Also, with gold being used in this way, what WOULD happen to coin? You wouldn't trade gold in for coin, so what happens to trade shops? What if you need to buy something for 4.5c, do you give half a gold bar (presuming gold is 9c)? How would that work?
If I were the guy making the decisions I would copy the trade interface's system. Gold nugget=1
Gold ingot=10 Gold block = 100. In order to actually have this make sense mathematically I would also remove the recipes for gold ingots to blocks, and nuggets to ingots. Setup a DHX currency trader in which you could get a gold ingot from 10 nuggets and a gold block from 10 ingots. "OH NOES MALMENCA NO DECIMALS" Well, - It is easier to use than to continue using decimals (player base wise, some may not understand). ;)

As for bodyguards and transportation, I doubt you'd see a rise in these. People in Zeal didn't Did do it, but I presume by the time Dragongarde came around people noticed that you could just set a mark inside DHX and be safe with loot you needed to take to spawn. Or, get group teleported. Both of these methods were available in Zeal. So, I don't think raiders will benefit much. (@malmenca).
Seeing as Ironpass was 800 blocks from spawn and we did not have a wizard, it was a "town activity" of sorts to go along with strongholdx to sell the gold. (As many ppl know the west road/ Airbus' shop was a mess of PVP)

MajorasMask

Ungodly

I'll reply to each again:

- Did you read what I said about group teleports, recalling, ect? There is no thrill in that. None. You don't have to go running around the wilds to sell your gold, you just port in. It's that simple. I see no ''hardcore'' nature in that. In addition, what is hardcore about having to spend a lot more time trying to get things done (other than leveling)? Almost all the video games that i've played, with currency, involve the player having a money bag/account to store the money in, not to hold it in an inventory. It makes it so much easier.

- I know it is good to try new things, but ''there is a time and place for everything, but not now''. Us, running into a new map with a system that has not been tried and tested is a bad idea. It could go wrong, the players might not like it and, infact, some may even leave because of this. It upsets the balance that we have now.

- Yeaah... your nugget/ignot/block system seems a little, errm, no. It's too much. Even if you DID make it work, that'll be too much coding/adjustment of the game mechanics in order to make a suggested system work well. Even after that, who knows if the players will even like it? :confused:

- How is Ironpass/your experience with their activity relevant? Sure, people USED to walk to DHX like a maniac with gold, wishing that they'd not get killed, but things are different now. People use groupteleports a lot more, use recalls, herogates, ect.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I'll reply to each again:

- Did you read what I said about group teleports, recalling, ect? There is no thrill in that. None. You don't have to go running around the wilds to sell your gold, you just port in. It's that simple. I see no ''hardcore'' nature in that. In addition, what is hardcore about having to spend a lot more time trying to get things done (other than leveling)? Almost all the video games that i've played, with currency, involve the player having a money bag/account to store the money in, not to hold it in an inventory. It makes it so much easier.
You're still on the easier thing. It's not easier and we've established that. It's a world-consistency thing and a player experience thing.
I would also advocate the removal of free-to-set Recalls. Have them only available to set in townships or other protected areas.
As far as inventory viability, you can make them into blocks, and you can have 64 blocks in one inventory spot. with one ingot valued at 9c that means you can have 5184c worth of money in one slot. I feel that Minecraft is a good place for a less segregated, more consistent inventory system, and really you don't need to fill your inventory up to do this.

"what's hardcore... (other than leveling)?"
Why is leveling an exception?

- I know it is good to try new things, but ''there is a time and place for everything, but not now''. Us, running into a new map with a system that has not been tried and tested is a bad idea. It could go wrong, the players might not like it and, infact, some may even leave because of this. It upsets the balance that we have now.
You seem to be a tad bit xenophobic in this paragraph. Lots of coulds and mights and maybes. We wouldn't know for sure how such a system would work until it's implemented somewhere. If it is Utterly Terrible we could always revert, although I believe it would be good for the server.

- Yeaah... your nugget/ignot/block system seems a little, errm, no. It's too much. Even if you DID make it work, that'll be too much coding/adjustment of the game mechanics in order to make a suggested system work well. Even after that, who knows if the players will even like it? :confused:
Who knows? Who knows? Not you, apparently. And not me either. Give gold a chance. Transition from our current thing to this thing is 100% at the coders discretion. Feel free to support or not support the idea, but I'm presenting it to the staff, not actively factoring them into the reasons not to do it.

And actually if nuggets were equivalent to 1c, ingots 9c, and blocks 81c we wouldn't need to do that mess at all, and smart people would ground their prices in base 9.