• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Farmer Farming Problems

joeyjojo60

Soulsand
no one cares about farmers because we are all broke and have no reason to even be here except to give bread, and that's barely a reason.WHICH is why this post is here :)

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Suggestion: Farmers and Smith are the only ones who can craft leather armor. They know how to make leather clothes because they are an old fashioned farmer from the frontier days who doesn't have a Town Store to ride into town and buy their clothes, they have to make them from Old Bessie.

This would make Smith less strong through its exclusive restrictions, and make Farmer more useful. Farmer would NOT be able to make chest shops to sell leather armor. It is not a HUGE change, because the fishing rates on leather armor are great, especially with an enchanted rod, making it possible for farmers to sell ~90% durability leather sets currently.

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8
Loving the ideas Witch mentioned.

How about a 'PlantAll' or 'HarvestAll' skill that allows Farmers to plant or harvest all fields within a selected range? Obviously a fairly extensive cooldown would be needed in order to limit the 'overpowerness' of this skill. I think this would be an awesome skill to have. Especially when farming for recipe ingredients.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Suggestion: Farmers and Smith are the only ones who can craft leather armor. They know how to make leather clothes because they are an old fashioned farmer from the frontier days who doesn't have a Town Store to ride into town and buy their clothes, they have to make them from Old Bessie.

This would make Smith less strong through its exclusive restrictions, and make Farmer more useful. Farmer would NOT be able to make chest shops to sell leather armor. It is not a HUGE change, because the fishing rates on leather armor are great, especially with an enchanted rod, making it possible for farmers to sell ~90% durability leather sets currently.
Nobody uses leather because of attributes. One piece of high tier armor is usually better than full leather. It wouldn't damage Smith, since iron, chain and dia tools/armor is their income source and it wouldn't help farmer since people don't want leather armor.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Nobody uses leather because of attributes. One piece of high tier armor is usually better than full leather. It wouldn't damage Smith, since iron, chain and dia tools/armor is their income source and it wouldn't help farmer since people don't want leather armor.
Not entirely the case.

Some people use leather because they want to dye it. Personal choice and style. Not a large market, agreed, but it does exist.

Also, leather is required for books/bookshelves for town upgrades. Towns are reliant on farmers to produce leather and on farmers and enchanters to produce bookshelves. As I noted earlier, I would like to see Farmers have chest shops to sell bookshelves at least.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Couple changes like this may help:

1. Only farmers can get soul shards from harvesting crops - (maybe lost souls too)
2. Let farmers get soul shards from potatoes and carrots as well as wheat
3. Farmer only can make any food. - Want some cooked beef ? Get it from a farmer. Right now everyone can make the best food without any interaction from a farmer - be like letting everyone make diamond picks or diamond swords without a smith. Limits all foods to farmers only and decrease the amount of healing from raw foods like zombie flesh, raw potatoes, carrots, etc...
4. Keep the food requirements in all town upgrades (maybe make it higher) - only the initial hamlet setup requires wheat - yet I personally have 4 double chests full of wheat - not counting all the bread I'm made. Keep Wheat, Potaotes, carrots, etc... in the requirements for town upgrades... its not hard to get 1000 wheat or even 5000. Same with carrots or potatoes, but it gives farmers something to do to aid the town.

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8

1. Only farmers can get soul shards from harvesting crops - (maybe lost souls too)
2. Let farmers get soul shards from potatoes and carrots as well as wheat
3. Farmer only can make any food. - Want some cooked beef ? Get it from a farmer. Right now everyone can make the best food without any interaction from a farmer - be like letting everyone make diamond picks or diamond swords without a smith. Limits all foods to farmers only and decrease the amount of healing from raw foods like zombie flesh, raw potatoes, carrots, etc...
4. Keep the food requirements in all town upgrades (maybe make it higher) - only the initial hamlet setup requires wheat - yet I personally have 4 double chests full of wheat - not counting all the bread I'm made. Keep Wheat, Potaotes, carrots, etc... in the requirements for town upgrades... its not hard to get 1000 wheat or even 5000. Same with carrots or potatoes, but it gives farmers something to do to aid the town.

Maybe even restrict planting to farmers too? Would mean players couldn't even plant their own potatoes/carrots

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
A note of caution about this. Farmer would indeed need to become a more attractive profession for this not to turn into a very hard slog for the one or two farmers in a town. However my perception here might be colored by the fact that my experience was right at the beginning of the map and very few people chose Farmer as their first profession.

Also I think this thread is largely about increasing Farmers' ability to earn an income, and no income will be gained from producing items for one's own town upgrade. As for producing for other towns, well, the souls requirement is quite high and towns generally aren't inclined to pay Farmers for items when they can get one of their own to go Farmer.

Maybe even restrict planting to farmers too? Would mean players couldn't even plant their own potatoes/carrots
If non-farmers who harvest these crops aren't able to replant, they'll be accused of griefing. I don't think players should be made vulnerable like this.

3. Farmer only can make any food. - Want some cooked beef ? Get it from a farmer. Right now everyone can make the best food without any interaction from a farmer - snip - Limits all foods to farmers only ...

How would this be achieved? Current restrictions are via crafting table recipes, which means Farmer has exclusive access to foods that come off a crafting table. Restricting cooked foods would mean introducing furnace gui restrictions I guess. Kainzo may or may not be inclined to add this. How would restrictions be placed on the collection of potatoes, carrots, melons? Also, I feel that limiting ALL food production to Farmers is too restrictive and also not consistent with lore. People have always been able to gather wild foods if they have the wisdom to do so.

... and decrease the amount of healing from raw foods like zombie flesh, raw potatoes, carrots, etc...

Excellent suggestion - this will indeed increase the worth of foods Farmers can produce in bulk - wheat and steaks (from breeding up cows).

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
If non-farmers who harvest these crops aren't able to replant, they'll be accused of griefing. I don't think players should be made vulnerable like this.

Indeed - anyone should be able to plant / harvest - but only farmers can convert the raw material into good food.

How would this be achieved? Current restrictions are via crafting table recipes, which means Farmer has exclusive access to foods that come off a crafting table. Restricting cooked foods would mean introducing furnace gui restrictions I guess. Kainzo may or may not be inclined to add this. How would restrictions be placed on the collection of potatoes, carrots, melons? Also, I feel that limiting ALL food production to Farmers is too restrictive and also not consistent with lore. People have always been able to gather wild foods if they have the wisdom to do so.

Nothing says they can't eat melons, carrots and raw potatoes - just farmer should be the only one able to 'cook' food. And maybe lessen the effect of the 'raw' foods healing to encourage more cooked foods being eaten.

Without the leather trade, farmers are poor indeed. I get excited when I get 5-6 souls from harvesting all my grain as that's my only source of income as a farmer.[/QUOTE]

Algsa777

TNT
Yeah farmer definitely needs a monopoly on good food stuff along with leather, wool, and dyes.
With Leather, Wool, and Dye farmers would have an edge in the leather armor, carpets, and stained glass market.