• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Bible/come to Jesus

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
But the chance of there being some supernatural power is non-existant. The universe is probably infinite which means even with a 0.0000000000000001% chance (add a few more million zeros between 0 and 1) there is still a good chance that SEVERAL places in the universe has intellegent life. Even though the human race is very advanced in technology, we still can't travel between galaxies, or planets for that matter, so we are not able to find the life we want to find.

But by that token, in the infinitely expanding galaxy, who's to say there aren't things out there beyond comprehension? I don't doubt that there's intelligent life somewhere out there, but in an infinite universe with infinite possibilities, I find it hard to rule out that somewhere out there exists a being (or, beings) that would seem to us like deities- and may even be so.

There's only one way for us to find out though. Helmsman, set course for the Delta Quadrant, warp factor 9.

Engage.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
There are what, 100 billion estimated GALAXIES? There may as well be more if space is seemingly infinite. I'm considering it a fact that there are other more intelligent forms of life out there seeing that there are more planets throughout space than there are grains of sand from every beach on our planet. We're not alone.
Did you know that a new discovery recently made by astrologist say that we can only see 2% actual universe. They estimated the mass of of many thing and found out, that there is a bit thing that you cannon see or find or touch or seems non existent for that matter. They call this stuff dark matter. Maybe Ostadar know some about this. It snakes up 98% present of the universe. Its the stuff that keeps planets in orbit. I forgot how they discovered it but its thing that shouldn't exist but it does. Its the stuff that they say put the planets into motion. If you want to know more, get the book, "13 Things That Don't Make Since". Coolest book ever, I only heard a little bit of it but it was aamazing.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Life is what you make of it, but life is far from perfect. If God made us and the universe perfectly, there wouldn't be disease. There wouldn't be natural disasters. There wouldn't be babies that were born with mutations. There wouldn't be miscarriages.
There wasn't untill adam and eve ate the apple ;)

arcanegrove

Obsidian
This argument takes a few liberties- namely that it assumes if Christians are wrong about God (particularly specific details such as infallibility, or the accuracy of the bible), that since these things are wrong, all of it must be wrong. So, to put it into purely logic terms, !x --> !y, or, not x, therefore, not y, where x is "infallibility" and y is "Christianity." However, the only way for an "if, then" statement in logic to return false (logic, not comp sci) is if the premise is true "God is infallible" and the result is false "Christianity is wrong about everything." So, to simplify, using 0 as false and 1 as true,

1 --> 1 == 1
1--> 0 == 0
0 --> 1 == 1
0 -->0 == 1

If you want a proof of this, go take a logic course, but to sum it up, if a premise is ever false, it doesn't matter what the result is, you cannot prove it false. Now, this is a little simplistic for a wide ranging topic such as Christianity, but just because there exists an "X" where a Christian's belief is wrong, that does not mean "For all beliefs, Christianity is wrong." It just means they got that part wrong, or that we do not fully understand it.

Now, all that being said, I believe there's a great deal in the bible that we should not take literally, as, at best, it's man's interpretation of God's word, and given man's obvious fallibility, there are bound to be mistakes (just look at how many times it's been revised and changed. If you ever want a humorous look at the "original" interpretation, check out "the brick testament" (www.thebricktestament.com)) but this does not mean that there is no God- just that humans can often get things wrong.
I actually think that is was god communicating through men, via the holy spirit.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
All I can say is that I've met some people who are Christian and are absolute dicks, and I've met some people who are atheist and are really good people. The individual should not always be the representative of the whole, despite the way things are today. People make mistakes and poor choices. You're right; it's bullshit that he should do that to her. People who reject people because of that (or any reason) are horrible people. We should not judge; that's the responsibility of the guy upstairs. As far as us people, we should always try to love and respect each other, regardless of the circumstances.

I try more than others sometimes not to impose my religious views, nor do I try to convert others, because I know how obnoxious it is (unless you're interested or are otherwise unsure). I only try to show people through my actions what kind of person I am because of my religion.

For some reason, I think that true Christians just want to spread the word of god. The 13 disciples of Jesus were left on earth to spread the good worth all around the world, which I think they did a preaty good job of. God must've been a good sales man to know how well the word of mouth travels!

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
This was meant to be a thread for Bob to help you guys. It wasn't meant to be if Jesus was god or not.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
This was meant to be a thread for Bob to help you guys. It wasn't meant to be if Jesus was god or not.
Yes - let's stop the arguing and cut to the chase - non-believers don't believe in god/jesus/whatever, believers do. Fixed. Done. Finitto. That's what you get for that cent, let's get on with it.

bob_de_blastoise Get on with what you were doing in the first place ;)

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
If you're going to post anything in regards to religion online, then you best expect some arguements.
True enough, but all arguments all the time? When the original purpose of the thread was explicitly -not- arguments?

EDIT: whoops, I thought it didn't go through the first time around. Wi-fi issues.

macura

Diamond
Interpretation isn't everything. Correct translation from the Hebrew texts is everything. If you actually read the Hebrew scriptures, you'll find that it's not vague at all. The reason it seems vague to you is because the english translations try to match, as best as possible, the words and meanings from the Hebrew language. The ends of the earth doesn't mean the earth is flat. It means that God is the only infinite being in existence, that even the earth has finite ends. I'll no longer argue the point.
Isn't the word for virgin and young girl the same in hebrew? So depending on how u want to look at it mary might not have been a virgin.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
For some reason, I think that true Christians just want to spread the word of god. The 13 disciples of Jesus were left on earth to spread the good worth all around the world, which I think they did a preaty good job of. God must've been a good sales man to know how well the word of mouth travels!
Yeah, just like the 'founders' of the new world convinced the aboriginals that Christianity was the way to go. Last I checked, I'm fairly certain they FORCED Christianity down their throats, murdering anyone who wouldn't hear the 'good word'. Word of mouth is nothing, but guns will scare people to believing in anything.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
Yeah, just like the 'founders' of the new world convinced the aboriginals that Christianity was the way to go. Last I checked, I'm fairly certain they FORCED Christianity down their throats, murdering anyone who wouldn't hear the 'good word'. Word of mouth is nothing, but guns will scare people to believing in anything.
Many things that have been done in the Christian name were wrong, but they're bad people everywhere and christiaianity is no exeption

It doesn't make sense when put against what the scriptures say and the entire message of the Gospel. This is why instead of debating on here, you should really read the bible completely. You can't pick and choose what you want from it and form it to what you want it to say. Scriptures reference Scriptures, and you cannot fully start to come to an intelligent understanding of them until you've read the entire Bible. You can't tell me you have, because these questions are answered explicitly. What bothers me about people who mock and persecute Christianity is their laziness in actually learning what it's about and reading the Word we base our lives off of. You can't pick up a textbook, pick and choose different snippets of what it says and claim to be an expert on the subject. Not even after reading the entire textbook can you claim to be an expert. You read it, you study it, you reflect on it, and you experience it. So, until each and every one of you do that, I hold your argument as unintelligent, unsupported, and completely irrelevant. I don't mean this as an insult, but I call it as I see it. Stop claiming to know so much about my God when you clearly haven't given yourself a chance to educate yourself on the matter.

Also, because this thread has now gone sour, I'm removing myself from it. I hope you all find what you're looking for and know that prayers will be said for each of you.

God Bless.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
This thread has strayed so far from its original purpose. *sigh*

Sadly it was bound to, regardless of your good intentions. While I do enjoy some of the discussion that happened here, with this community it was bound to devolve into... well, this. People just love arguing.