• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Personal Worries about HC

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Keep of mind irl happenings effecting how players act. Sometimes people go through the worst of the worst, and they need to vent t somewhere.
I'm aware. I was a sh*thead on the internet and minecraft servers 3 years ago because of four consecutive close personal deaths. I hope people don't still view me as such.

Yup, Rane is a perfect demonstration of change. He is quite different from how he was on Sanctum.
Maturity growth does not equate into character change.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Personally, veterans of the server should know the rules better than they do. So I don't feel pity or sorrow when they get banned. (Amgroma is a fantastic example of this)

Back in Sanctum, people were scared shitless of breaking a block they didn't own that looked remotely like it was placed by someone(as in not natural). Those are the days I miss. Ever since Zeal people have actually attempted to stretch the rules as far as possible, forcing 'patches' and updates to the rules to make sure they are as clearly defined as possible. Those little shits back in Zeal should have just had more respect for the rules.

Ever since, I've always wished there was more mods than there were. So I support adding on new staff, and I support punishing rulebreaking. Sure it may be heartbreaking when a friend breaks the rules and is punished, but it was their choice. I came here from a private server owned by a corrupt admin, and between there and here I played on many servers (this was Minecraft Alpha/Beta age, two years ago) and this server has a very fair rule-set plus ban and appeal system in my eyes.

Just my 2c.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Sorry, but you weren't here in Sanctum, I don't think. Trust me, he's changed. And things go alongside with it resulting in change of character.
I wasn't. I don't have that broad scope that you and other two year+ members possess. However, I can ascertain that he's certainly more mature. I hazard to ask, but what do you mean by "change of character"?

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Personally, veterans of the server should know the rules better than they do. So I don't feel pity or sorrow when they get banned. (Amgroma is a fantastic example of this)

Back in Sanctum, people were scared shitless of breaking a block they didn't own that looked remotely like it was placed by someone(as in not natural). Those are the days I miss. Ever since Zeal people have actually attempted to stretch the rules as far as possible, forcing 'patches' and updates to the rules to make sure they are as clearly defined as possible. Those little shits back in Zeal should have just had more respect for the rules.

Ever since, I've always wished there was more mods than there were. So I support adding on new staff, and I support punishing rulebreaking. Sure it may be heartbreaking when a friend breaks the rules and is punished, but it was their choice. I came here from a private server owned by a corrupt admin, and between there and here I played on many servers (this was Minecraft Alpha/Beta age, two years ago) and this server has a very fair rule-set plus ban and appeal system in my eyes.

Just my 2c.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If a rule is broken, it's broken, and someone who's been around should know and understand that. We don't have to ban for every infraction or anything, but potentially getting banned is a risk they take.

I trust the staff here. I know they have the server's best interest at heart. That doesn't make them perfect, but it means I believe they're doing what they think is right. I wouldn't mind having more staff on actually- hence why I'm glad to see promotions and reinstatement lately, but I'd be even happier if we could get back just one good old fashioned hard-ass (I miss Seratt.)

HolyRane

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't think the punishing of rule-breakers is the topic that victim was intending this thread to be about. He was stating that it's a possibility that some staff are not being completely unbiased when dealing with cases and the problems that causes to the server. My favorite example to combat this issue would be, someone like Seratt, who dealt with everyone with an iron fist, or the alternative, Ilysde who was very kind to all, but had no real connections to players and dealt with everyone just.

A cause for concern I have is that I often find players getting in trouble for rules that don't even exist, while it's true that an admin can make calls depending on the situation, I feel it isn't always right to mute people who are speaking their mind. While not explicitly against the rules, players are getting in trouble for speaking. I find myself rarely wanting to speak with most issues because I fear that a rule will be made up to dispose of me.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
People do change. Not going to name any names but there is at least 3-4 people I personally know who have been on the wrong side of the community's feelings (and maybe they still are), they've been banned a few times, and I personally didn't like them during the first times interacting with them. Today these people seem like great people in my eyes, very helpful with things and towards other players, and knowledgeable like a veteran of the server should be. But then when I see them trying to help out others that know their past they just get shot down because of their past.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I don't think the punishing of rule-breakers is the topic that victim was intending this thread to be about. He was stating that it's a possibility that some staff are not being completely unbiased when dealing with cases and the problems that causes to the server. My favorite example to combat this issue would be, someone like Seratt, who dealt with everyone with an iron fist, or the alternative, Ilysde who was very kind to all, but had no real connections to players and dealt with everyone just.

A cause for concern I have is that I often find players getting in trouble for rules that don't even exist, while it's true that an admin can make calls depending on the situation, I feel it isn't always right to mute people who are speaking their mind. While not explicitly against the rules, players are getting in trouble for speaking. I find myself rarely wanting to speak with most issues because I fear that a rule will be made up to dispose of me.
People do change. Not going to name any names but there is at least 3-4 people I personally know who have been on the wrong side of the community's feelings (and maybe they still are), they've been banned a few times, and I personally didn't like them during the first times interacting with them. Today these people seem like great people in my eyes, very helpful with things and towards other players, and knowledgeable like a veteran of the server should be. But then when I see them trying to help out others that know their past they just get shot down because of their past.
leftovers5 its not that it is change in personality, but more that they understand more. No one in this world is ever "Evil" as for lack of a better word, but some really don't care. Since I do care I feel like some players who broke rules are now more "good" because they see how to care and enjoy the server much more. Thing is Holy is right, I can speak my mind ten fold where he can't even once.

And its not news, I've spoke with many players that see this everyday :(

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8

I can definitely see where you're coming from, and generally yes I agree that what we should be looking for is consistency. There have definitely been times when I've seen one person banned (temporarily) for acting in a certain way, while another person got away with it (multiple times) without so much as a /slap. Sometimes though it seems that it just comes down to, between two people in this situation, what they contribute to the server (not talking about supporter status or anything, but community wise), and the general mood of the mod/admin/founder on at the time. I've only ever seen one ban that struck me as impulsive, and it was later lifted, as I knew it most likely would be.

The rest of the bans/punishments I've seen for people getting in trouble speaking, was generally because they deserved at least temp bans/mutes for it. What they were doing was not at all constructive or helpful, but rather were just badgering already overworked staff members with questions, topics and suggestions that had already been discussed addressed 20 times before that moment in chat. At the same time I've also seen a lot of leniency lately compared to the old days, such was watching arguments unfold in o chat over "u suck" "no, U suck" that would go unmuted/unpunished despite several warnings and "take it to slap" from a mod. It could be seen as a lack of consistency, but I think it's more just taking things on a case by case basis. We don't need to mute/ban for every time the rules are broken, especially if the rule breaker in question is an active and useful member of the community- by the same token, if the staff believes that the rule breaker is not helpful, does not mesh with the community, is not being constructive or whatever it may be, then they're within their right to punish as they see fit. It comes back to what I first said, as "I trust the mods/admins/founders, because while they're not perfect I know they have the server's best interests at heart", even if those interests means I'm seeing my friends punished at times. While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing more consistency (like you and I both said, Seratt would be great for that,) I can also understand why things are the way they are.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Moving this thread to member's discussion.
I don't see the point - but keep it civil!
Sorry for placing it in the wrong place :p the true point is to just get some venting out (Civilly hopefully) and get an idea of how the community feels about my opinion.

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
I wasn't. I don't have that broad scope that you and other two year+ members possess. However, I can ascertain that he's certainly more mature. I hazard to ask, but what do you mean by "change of character"?
I mean them changing, whether it's for the better or the worse. Coming to an understanding of something opens your eyes, and when you see things differently, you change. You say gaining maturity or understanding is different - But it actually goes hand-in-hand.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I can definitely see where you're coming from, and generally yes I agree that what we should be looking for is consistency. There have definitely been times when I've seen one person banned (temporarily) for acting in a certain way, while another person got away with it (multiple times) without so much as a /slap. Sometimes though it seems that it just comes down to, between two people in this situation, what they contribute to the server (not talking about supporter status or anything, but community wise), and the general mood of the mod/admin/founder on at the time. I've only ever seen one ban that struck me as impulsive, and it was later lifted, as I knew it most likely would be.

The rest of the bans/punishments I've seen for people getting in trouble speaking, was generally because they deserved at least temp bans/mutes for it. What they were doing was not at all constructive or helpful, but rather were just badgering already overworked staff members with questions, topics and suggestions that had already been discussed addressed 20 times before that moment in chat. At the same time I've also seen a lot of leniency lately compared to the old days, such was watching arguments unfold in o chat over "u suck" "no, U suck" that would go unmuted/unpunished despite several warnings and "take it to slap" from a mod. It could be seen as a lack of consistency, but I think it's more just taking things on a case by case basis. We don't need to mute/ban for every time the rules are broken, especially if the rule breaker in question is an active and useful member of the community- by the same token, if the staff believes that the rule breaker is not helpful, does not mesh with the community, is not being constructive or whatever it may be, then they're within their right to punish as they see fit. It comes back to what I first said, as "I trust the mods/admins/founders, because while they're not perfect I know they have the server's best interests at heart", even if those interests means I'm seeing my friends punished at times. While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing more consistency (like you and I both said, Seratt would be great for that,) I can also understand why things are the way they are.
Just keep in mind, most staff members were and still are players themselves. But I want to throw out the idea of a jury system. Under certain bans (Nothing like blatant grief or obvious rule breaking) have like 6 players or so along with staff make a decision. That way it isn't staffs idea, but the communities idea as well.

Just a toss out, idk if it would ever work or if it could be exploited.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Just keep in mind, most staff members were and still are players themselves. But I want to throw out the idea of a jury system. Under certain bans (Nothing like blatant grief or obvious rule breaking) have like 6 players or so along with staff make a decision. That way it isn't staffs idea, but the communities idea as well.

Just a toss out, idk if it would ever work or if it could be exploited.

That would be a popularity contest and would not work.

You say you want the server to be ran with an iron fist, and yet the community cries when it is.

The consistency is not there as there are different people handling the situations. I myself have been in arguments with Danda over wanting to issue a ban for someone ((Who was in gross violation of the rules)) and he denied the request.

You have different opinions of how things are handled, it will never fully be consistent.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I myself have been in arguments with Danda over wanting to issue a ban for someone ((Who was in gross violation of the rules)) and he denied the request.
You have different opinions of how things are handled, it will never fully be consistent.
I am more lenient sometimes than Angyles is at times but then again other times she has talked me out of dealing with someone more harshly than she would have, I will generally try to gather other staff members opinions on situations that aren't cut and dry if they're not already busy and will make my decisions based on a general consensus to try and avoid single accusations of bias.
I have no problems with people speaking their mind as long as they keep it civil and non abusive, I personally will mostly only actively enforce chat when an obvious rule is being broken or there is just senseless bickering.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I have no problems with people speaking their mind as long as they keep it civil and non abusive, I personally will mostly only actively enforce chat when an obvious rule is being broken or there is just senseless bickering.

Same I try to stay out of the penis fights in chat and only mute for rule breaking.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
In some ways, I feel that HC has been slowly evolving into modern day society. While i cannot full express how I act and feel, (Mainly because i'm home-schooled) I think that the world has changed in the past 5-6 years, A LOT.. As some one i know very well once said, "More people are in the wagon there there are pulling it." (This was a reference to politics) People want the easy way out these days, ( Not saying that very many people don't, but you get what i mean) So they try to squeeeeez and bend the rules to make there life easier, this is why EE in tekkit is so popular.

Even from zeal, i remember people always being so helpful and kind, and MUCH less flaming/angry pvping going on (Except on the north road, which just happened to be where my town was. And even there the pvp was semi friendly.) I could have peaceful duel with any 1, without worrying about some taking my kill or some 1 else killing me. I think that its more the people then the staff. I hold all staff with high respect, And I think there doing a wonderful jobs of keeping the people mostly under control. One of the things I remember about Rane in zeal was some 1 sigs, and I think that this can describe quiet a few people on the server now. I forgot it now..... What a time to have terrible memory....

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
In some ways, I feel that HC has been slowly evolving into modern day society. While i cannot full express how I act and feel, (Mainly because i'm home-schooled) I think that the world has changed in the past 5-6 years, A LOT.. As some one i know very well once said, "More people are in the wagon there there are pulling it." (This was a reference to politics) People want the easy way out these days, ( Not saying that very many people don't, but you get what i mean) So they try to squeeeeez and bend the rules to make there life easier, this is why EE in tekkit is so popular.

Even from zeal, i remember people always being so helpful and kind, and MUCH less flaming/angry pvping going on (Except on the north road, which just happened to be where my town was. And even there the pvp was semi friendly.) I could have peaceful duel with any 1, without worrying about some taking my kill or some 1 else killing me. I think that its more the people then the staff. I hold all staff with high respect, And I think there doing a wonderful jobs of keeping the people mostly under control. One of the things I remember about Rane in zeal was some 1 sigs, and I think that this can describe quiet a few people on the server now. I forgot it now..... What a time to have terrible memory....
Ah, I know just what the quote is. From strongholdx , in the days of Sanctum.
Rane is a terrorist, but he does everything legaly. thats whats so agravating, hes not doing anything wrong, hes just being an asshole, and that isn't against the rules.

macura

Diamond
In my opinion, people should be able to speak their minds as long as what they have to say is civil. I am not talking about people telling each other that they suck in a polite manor. I know a lot of people who had perfectly logical things to say (the things were not about bashing other people), who have been either too afraid to say it because they did not want to face the repercussions that they thought might occur. This fear is not even an illogical one, i have seen too many people get muted, their threads or posts get deleted and even banned for speaking their minds.

HolyRane i completely agree with you.

itzmak

Legacy Supporter 7
As a banned player I can say that favoritism is more or less ruining the server. I can name, but will not, several occasions on the past three maps where I have witnessed (and been a part of) favoritism. Also, why are certain banned players hated so much? Sure, they caused havoc on the server but that does not mean staff should ignore their ban appeal. This is only part of what I would like to say but I fear everyone disagreeing with me for saying what I've seen as a hated player.