• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New User Experience Feedback:

Mischevity

Legacy Supporter 8
I think that there should be a block lined path to the exchange and docks since that's where most people get lost at.

jearnold52

Coal
Something I've noticed as a new player on lots of servers is that there isn't a good starting kit. The first thing every player needs is wood, but since wood is a valuable commodity, everyone chops down forests and such, to the point where a new player can't find any wood.

My suggestion is based a bit off of that saying, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man HOW to fish, and feed him for a lifetime".

Rather than just giving a new player a stack of oak logs, give them a sapling and 5-10 bonemeal. Rather than giving them a bunch of food, give them some seeds. Maybe give them some tools, but nothing better than stone. After that, it's up to the player to find a good location and start working to get what they need.

One last suggestion. Put an enderchest at each world's spawn. That way, if you die trying to find a place to start a home, you don't have to lose everything.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Something I've noticed as a new player on lots of servers is that there isn't a good starting kit. The first thing every player needs is wood, but since wood is a valuable commodity, everyone chops down forests and such, to the point where a new player can't find any wood.

My suggestion is based a bit off of that saying, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man HOW to fish, and feed him for a lifetime".

Rather than just giving a new player a stack of oak logs, give them a sapling and 5-10 bonemeal. Rather than giving them a bunch of food, give them some seeds. Maybe give them some tools, but nothing better than stone. After that, it's up to the player to find a good location and start working to get what they need.

One last suggestion. Put an enderchest at each world's spawn. That way, if you die trying to find a place to start a home, you don't have to lose everything.
Some good ideas! Right now, enderchests are reserved for merchants, so they would be unable to use those.

Maybe give them a chest to start so they are almost guaranteed a death chest opportunity when they die.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

Enderchest is only usable by Merchants, we'd need to remove this and grant it to everyone. I do like the idea of giving seeds/starter stuff that isnt the finished product.

Also, the ip is now visible on the banner.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
I've read through this @Kainzo . I have pulled out the most requested items and listed them here. I also added a request of my own. I will start taking initiative on the new player issues as directed by Kainzo. I'll use this forum so we can stay transparent on things and to discuss suggestions. This post will serve as my worklist. Red to green comments indicates how 'done' something is.

• Social area. Place to meet. In game or forums?
    Start discussion on this. A special section of the forums, or a location in Central?
  • Redo tutorial
    I need to review this.
  • More short videos
    My quickstart videoes are wildly out of date. I'll look into make more, or getting help in developing new ones.
  • /bookrules get 1
    Newbies need to be reminded that this thing exists. Adding an auto alert could be useful.
  • Make the portal /new player spawn area in Central more obvious
    I'm running around this right now and it's really confusing even to me. Some of the signs need to be redone as well. This is going to be my 1st priority.
  • Registration help
    Needs to be tied into the above issue.
  • Use block lines to mark how to get places in Central
    Central pathfinding needs some help, yes. Maybe have a talented artist make a stylized yet functional map?
  • Starter kit having seeds, saplings, and bonemeal
Sounds good to me! Do this.

My suggestion: Make an ingame command "/wiki". Players can type "/wiki THING" and their browser will open up to our wiki search page looking for THING, so that /wiki Ranger will bring players to our ranger wiki page.​

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Simplifying the Tutorial (and making it much shorter and easier to rush through) --- did I miss anything?

• Cover currency / chestshop usage (granting a free item to the user to sell for 1s to test out how chestshops work)
  • Cover selecting a Heroes class (With quest to allow selection for Combat class)
  • Different between PVE / PVP and RPG servers (Perhaps a 3-box'd room with info on each)
  • Chat System (The global channels and chat etiquette)
  • Land Ownership / Protecting Chests
  1. Currency / Chestshops
  2. Protections / Townships / Land Ownership
  3. Heroes / Relic System
  4. Chat System and etiquette
  5. Different Worlds/servers (and links to them immediately)

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
My suggestion: Make an ingame command "/wiki". Players can type "/wiki THING" and their browser will open up to our wiki search page looking for THING, so that /wiki Ranger will bring players to our ranger wiki page.​

This would be AWESOME! [caps sorry, :p]

@Alator I'll get together a list of pages. @Guides input will be helpful to make sure we cover the questions most commonly asked ingame.

Oh, this is such a good idea!

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7

@Alator I'll get together a list of pages. [USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP] input will be helpful to make sure we cover the questions most commonly asked ingame.

Where am I? Where is the exchange? How to I pick my class? How do I get money/levels? How do I join a town?

Just some off the top of my head

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7

@Alator I'll get together a list of pages. [USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] input will be helpful to make sure we cover the questions most commonly asked ingame.

Keep in mind: I can't do this. It is something I would like to see. The idea isn;t that you need to make a command for every page, but it will open up the search function and put in the URL for you. So I type "/wiki supercoolstaafh", the command will open the webpage: http://herocraftonline.com/wiki/index.php?search=supercoolstaafh&title=Special:Search

Mischevity

Legacy Supporter 8

@Alator I'll get together a list of pages. [USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP] input will be helpful to make sure we cover the questions most commonly asked ingame.

This is a great idea! I also think there should be a system of warps maybe? (not like those gross ones you'd find on other servers) But a heroes one, maybe only in central where you can do /helpwarp (Class or something else)?

MCderpy12

Legacy Supporter 3
If there is not already, perhaps make a server message with a link to the FAQ?

That would help new players out a lot, but I cannot remember if it is already implemented.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter

That's a good one. But I doubt that you can force-open the browser of a user by entering a command. Alternatively it might be possible to let the link appear in chat, so that the player can click on it. You can also work with a UI here, like the /buy UI works on a very similar way.
/wiki KEYWORD would show the specified link in chat, due to connection with the page on the wiki itself.
Since we have already commands that work this way, Coders can check out these two samples:
Reference codes/commands that work in a similar way: /buy* and /vote*

Nevertheless, people must still be taught to use this command or notified about it's existence, starting at the tutorial, the WelcomeBook, etc.

*noticed the plugins, that could be a problem.
@Coders

Last edited:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
  1. Currency / Chestshops
  2. Protections / Townships / Land Ownership
  3. Heroes / Relic System / Grave yards
  4. Chat System and etiquette
  5. Different Worlds/servers (and links to them immediately)
[USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP] - we'll need proper wordage / signs on the mini-tutorial, here's what I got so far.
s0FQEh1.png

Last edited:

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
    Started discussion on this. A special section of the forums, or a location in Central?
  • Redo tutorial
    Working on this. Should be ready soon.
  • More short videos
    My quickstart videoes are wildly out of date. I'll look into make more, or getting help in developing new ones.
  • /bookrules get 1
    Added this to the new tutorial. Adding an auto alert could be useful.
    Made some subtle changes that should make it easier for new players to get out of central and into the playable maps.
  • Registration help
    Marked out path from Exchange to the docks. Maybe have a talented artist make a stylized yet functional map?

Last edited:

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
When people talk about a 'social area', what would you like to see? A 'LFG" forum? Some communal area in Central rebuilt? Some other kind of tie-in?

Mischevity

Legacy Supporter 8
[USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] - we'll need proper wordage / signs on the mini-tutorial, here's what I got so far.
s0FQEh1.png
Chestshops/Currency: Herocraft has a very easy economy. Certain classes make shops to sell what they make. Sometimes they even buy from you! These shops use a currency called Souls(underline or color souls please) You can get souls by killing HOSTILE mobs or by mining ores like coal and iron.

Protections / Townships / Land Ownership: Many people get tired of having things stolen from them or not having somewhere to put everything. That's where residences and LWCs come into play. You can only make one residence if you haven't donated, and you can make 3 LWCs for 500s each. (Link this to the sign please) If you don't know how to make a residence use hc.to/resguide. Towns can also protect your items, they will also protect you in PVP! You can get into a town by asking in /ch re after being whitelisted. Don't want to spend some souls on an LWC or a residence? Make a house and put a sign saying: Claimed If someone breaks a block on the claim you can PE it with /pe create (message)
(username) These will not protect your items in chests!
(date)

Heroes / Relic System / Grave yards: There are 2 types of classes in Herocraft, Combat and
Profession. Combat classes are leveled up by killing and mob and players. Professions mine and sometimes craft to level up. There are 4 types of combat classes: Warriors, Casters, Healers, and Rogues. They each have certain abilities for the type they're in. Both combat and professions cost 400 souls to change to after mastering lost soul. You can also buy or make a codex for a cheaper price. Codices are made by collecting relics 1-5 of that class. Relics have a certain rarity where 1 relics are least and 5 relics are most rare. Some mobs drop certain relics. For example: Slimes drop healer class relics more often. When you die, you don't go back to spawn, instead you go to the nearest graveyard. Grave-yards are PVP protected and you cannot break blocks in them. They also sell redstone for you to use recall with.

Chat System and etiquette: Certain chats are supposed to be used for certain things and ONLY those things. For example Trade chat is to be used for REAL trades only, no scams. Help chat is to be used for legitimate questions only. Do not use chats to insult people or beg for money either. You shouldn't spam or use excessive caps at all.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
    Started discussion on this. A special section of the forums, or a location in Central?
  • Redo tutorial
    Done. Will be live soon.
  • More short videos
  • /bookrules get 1
    Added this to the new tutorial. Adding an auto alert could be useful.
    Made some subtle changes that should make it easier for new players to get out of central and into the playable maps.
  • Registration help
    Marked out path from Exchange to the docks. Maybe have a talented artist make a stylized yet functional map?

My suggestion: Make an ingame command "/wiki". Players can type "/wiki THING" and their browser will open up to our wiki search page looking for THING, so that /wiki Ranger will bring players to our ranger wiki page.

Add in Herogates to PvE and PvP

Last edited: