• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New User Experience Feedback:

Mistyckle

Legacy Supporter 4
I think one of the reasons new players aren't really using /ch tour much to ask questions is that few other people tell them not to. I've seen other players tell new players to not use /ch tour for asking questions and instead use /ch help. Yes, it's true that /ch help is also used for asking questions, but after asking a question and getting an answer from /ch h, it opens up for more questions. After asking more questions, apparently to some people they appear to be "spamming" in /ch h so they tell them to also get out of /ch help. Maybe it's just me.
Sometimes after they ask questions though, at least when I see it, they still are in /ch h holding convos. (Sometimes with their new friends they brough too). For me to ask them to leave is just me saying, ooo look, shiny new channel for you. But it's only when they definitely look like it's a conversation or better suited to off-topic. And it's been going on a while

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Sometimes after they ask questions though, at least when I see it, they still are in /ch h holding convos. (Sometimes with their new friends they brough too). For me to ask them to leave is just me saying, ooo look, shiny new channel for you. But it's only when they definitely look like it's a conversation or better suited to off-topic. And it's been going on a while
Oh Misty, I'm certainly not speaking about how you approach things.

I'm referring to when a scornful, dismissive, superior tone is used, or when questioning is cut short before it's even gotten started.

Mistyckle

Legacy Supporter 4
What I also feel that should be taken into consideration for newer players is more special events. The pvp tournaments we have monthly is nice, but it excludes the newer players (not intentionally but it does.) Events will help keep newer players attracted to Herocraft, becuase it takes off the focus of how much grinding they need to do. We should try to get more and new events rolling out. I feel like 2-3 events per month and 1 huge event every 3-5 months would be a good number.

This is something I've been wanting to see more for a while~ stuffs more geared toward everyone, or specifially for new peeps.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
Not really calling out anybody, but just in general the people that do it once or more. First impression is pretty much everything. These newcomers don't know you or most of how the server works. So, you have to talk to them as if they know no knowledge of our unique features/plugins of the server. Maybe you or others really do have good intentions, but didn't meant to say it in such a manner that can be misinterpret as being "rude" from the newcomer's perspective. Also noticed that even players who just have been playing for over a month follow others and tell people in Help chat to get out just from slightly going off topic from the main question.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
I wouldn't say guides do nothing, but I have noticed tour chat becoming less active @WitchOnaRampage
What I mean by that is less new people ask questions or talk there, since they can just move into o chat with a short whitelisting time. What I suggest (and what I've been trying to do) @minimike96 is focusing on help chat since that's where they direct their questions now, and also trying to reinforce some chat rules

Many questions are being ignored in general. Sometimes it's because of our players, sometimes it's the newbie's fault because he's not using either /tour or /h chat to ask for help. They often put their questions into /o, where they quickly get lost, especially during the server's prime time.
You know the results of all that, however.

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
We do need more special events, @Xanipher and the [USERGROUP=45][USERGROUP=45][USERGROUP=45]@Event Team[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] - should have enough power to hold these
What I also feel that should be taken into consideration for newer players is more special events. The pvp tournaments we have monthly is nice, but it excludes the newer players (not intentionally but it does.) Events will help keep newer players attracted to Herocraft, becuase it takes off the focus of how much grinding they need to do. We should try to get more and new events rolling out. I feel like 2-3 events per month and 1 huge event every 3-5 months would be a good number.

Sorry, its a question of time. Which I am finding I have less of lately. It's an immense amount of planning and consideration. It takes a lot of dedication that most people aren't willing to put in. As sad as it is to say, usually people who join the event team do one or two things then disappear into nothingness. I have done every event mostly on my own, with side help from a mod or an admin during an event. It really sucks and its extremely draining, especially when things don't go right.

RagingDragon5

Portal
Sorry, its a question of time. Which I am finding I have less of lately. It's an immense amount of planning and consideration. It takes a lot of dedication that most people aren't willing to put in. As sad as it is to say, usually people who join the event team do one or two things then disappear into nothingness.

Maybe start recruiting some fresh players who want to give it a shot?

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
Maybe start recruiting some fresh players who want to give it a shot?
Events are very dependent on knowledge of Herocraft's plugins, mechanics and economy. Its really tough having to work with a revolving door of people, because I have to train them almost every time. It's really difficult having something on my shoulders that is so critical.

Regardless, I DO have other events coming in. If you had paid attention last map we had up to 5 events a month of varying interest. So its not like I'm slacking or anything. Events have fallen to the wayside this map due to a few issues and constantly working on getting things stable. I don't like having to do petitions for up to 6hrs a day, handle forum and other admin stuff for a few more hours AND THEN try to pump out an event as fast as people want them. It's just not possible.

I've taken the past few days as a break, having fun with my friends and working out because this is a very demanding community and we all need breaks every once in a while.

EDIT: And while the event team can come up with as many ideas as they want, most of the actual execution is always done by me and a staff helper. The event team can only come up with ideas and build environments. Bringing it to live is the hardest part.

EDIT 2: Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh, it is not my intention. I just wish people knew exactly how things work before getting upset with lack of events.

RagingDragon5

Portal
Events are very dependent on knowledge of Herocraft's plugins, mechanics and economy. Its really tough having to work with a revolving door of people, because I have to train them almost every time. It's really difficult having something on my shoulders that is so critical.

Regardless, I DO have other events coming in. If you had paid attention last map we had up to 5 events a month of varying interest. So its not like I'm slacking or anything. Events have fallen to the wayside this map due to a few issues and constantly working on getting things stable. I don't like having to do petitions for up to 6hrs a day, handle forum and other admin stuff for a few more hours AND THEN try to pump out an event as fast as people want them. It's just not possible.

I've taken the past few days as a break, having fun with my friends and working out because this is a very demanding community and we all need breaks every once in a while.

EDIT: And while the event team can come up with as many ideas as they want, most of the actual execution is always done by me and a staff helper. The event team can only come up with ideas and build environments. Bringing it to live is the hardest part.

EDIT 2: Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh, it is not my intention. I just wish people knew exactly how things work before getting upset with lack of events.

I apologize if my statement came off as rude, I wasn't trying to sound like that. Yes, last map was awesome with the events and I cen't even pretend that I can understand how long time and effort it takes to set one up since I never did one. However, isn't still better to have an active team than to do all the work by yourself?

RagingDragon5

Portal
Herocraft is also very team heavy. Most newer players don't join in with a group of friends. So what also drives newer players away is not being able to join or make friendships with anyone. I would suggest having an Admin ran town close to spawn. That new players are automatically put into. This will give the newer players their own chat so they can meet other people like them and give them a sense of community. Have Guides be mandatorly part of this town so it can be ran easier as well.

The town won't be extravagant or anything. Just something so people can feel like they are a part of something. Make it only hamlet size. Also give citizenship for only 2 - 4 weeks so they are encouraged to find a player ran town. By this time they should have their group of friends they would like to stick with while looking for a town.

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
I apologize if my statement came off as rude, I wasn't trying to sound like that. Yes, last map was awesome with the events and I cen't even pretend that I can understand how long time and effort it takes to set one up since I never did one. However, isn't still better to have an active team than to do all the work by yourself?
Yea I need an active and dedicated team and more staff to execute with me haha. I'll be working on reforming in the next few days

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
Herocraft is also very team heavy. Most newer players don't join in with a group of friends. So what also drives newer players away is not being able to join or make friendships with anyone. I would suggest having an Admin ran town close to spawn. That new players are automatically put into. This will give the newer players their own chat so they can meet other people like them and give them a sense of community. Have Guides be mandatorly part of this town so it can be ran easier as well.

The town won't be extravagant or anything. Just something so people can feel like they are a part of something. Make it only hamlet size. Also give citizenship for only 2 - 4 weeks so they are encouraged to find a player ran town. By this time they should have their group of friends they would like to stick with while looking for a town.

I was thinking this exact thing. May be better than having an actual tutorial. Have a tax free town that guides run where new players are placed until they master LS/Crafter, or they opt to leave earlier.

RagingDragon5

Portal
I was thinking this exact thing. May be better than having an actual tutorial. Have a tax free town that guides run where new players are placed until they master LS/Crafter, or they opt to leave earlier.
It necessarily doesn't have to be an admin ran town. It would just be easier if it was.

barbas0l

Legacy Supporter 7
Retired Staff
I've been utterly useless on the event team. I planned on contributing much more than I've been able to. Had a RL job promotion that demands I work 50-60 hours a week. Fortunately I've moved into my new apartment and will be devoting my time to aiding the event staff. I've spoken many times about wanting to create stand-alone areas for players to fight through, it would require an admin to spawn mobs for the differing amount of players that show up. I'll need help creating an area for the events, and I'll have to re-figure out how to get onto the build server for it.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
How about putting the server IP in a really prominent place on the front page of the forums?

New players won't even get to the server if they can't find the IP.

I can't see it anywhere now... if it was in the sliding banner perhaps I dismissed it, I don't know. But it does need to be really obvious.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Yea I need an active and dedicated team and more staff to execute with me haha. I'll be working on reforming in the next few days
What exactly do Event Team members have access to? Do they simply help create ideas or can they with implementation?

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I think the /register system takes away quite a few players every day. Earlier, I lead a new player from Central to PvE and out of spawn before I found out he wasn't registered. When he heard that he had to register, he got frustrated since he didn't want to give away his email to a server he just joined. After him asking if there was any other way to play without registering, he logged off and quit.

Now people might say that ''If he didn't even want to take the time to /register, he doesnt deserve to play'' etc. But if we want a healthy growth, we can't be too picky with our players. Sure, making it easier will probably mean even more trolls or griefers joining but it would also mean more decent players.

On a different note, people are having problems finding out how the enter the ''real'' worlds (PvP, PvE). I found 3 people in less than 20 minutes who all were wandering around in Central towards the trade district and arena, not knowing where to go. Herocraft has always been very overwhelming for new players due to the amount of information they have to learn in such short time.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
How about putting the server IP in a really prominent place on the front page of the forums?

New players won't even get to the server if they can't find the IP.

I can't see it anywhere now... if it was in the sliding banner perhaps I dismissed it, I don't know. But it does need to be really obvious.
YES

Xhazed

Portal
I think the /register system takes away quite a few players every day. Earlier, I lead a new player from Central to PvE and out of spawn before I found out he wasn't registered. When he heard that he had to register, he got frustrated since he didn't want to give away his email to a server he just joined. After him asking if there was any other way to play without registering, he logged off and quit.

Now people might say that ''If he didn't even want to take the time to /register, he doesnt deserve to play'' etc. But if we want a healthy growth, we can't be too picky with our players. Sure, making it easier will probably mean even more trolls or griefers joining but it would also mean more decent players.

On a different note, people are having problems finding out how the enter the ''real'' worlds (PvP, PvE). I found 3 people in less than 20 minutes who all were wandering around in Central towards the trade district and arena, not knowing where to go. Herocraft has always been very overwhelming for new players due to the amount of information they have to learn in such short time.
I always had an idea but people are gonna say its stupid, why not just remove register whitelist all of that and make it so its a timer for X amount of time and when they reach that time they lets say get the ability to join all channels offtopic all those. When they reach that amount of time their name appears somewhere where guides or whoever does background checks gets to see it and they do it. Thats my idea dont hate hard if its horrible