• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New User Experience Feedback:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Greetings!

@Heralds | @Guides | @Admins | @Moderators
Let's face it, Herocraft is not a server for everyone and its complex. We're looking to streamline things we can to make it easier on first time and new users joining into our new network.

We're looking at getting some feedback from newer players and first joining users to see how they feel the experience was and where it can be improved on.

Feel free to post your feelings and any suggestions on making the experience more memorable, informative or otherwise.

Thanks!

Weikauno

Coder
I have an idea!

It can be difficult to find friends when you join the server, since most people are spread out and running around doing stuff, so if we made a little place designated solely for people looking to be social and meet new people and form groups then new people might feel more welcome, and this would encourage recruiting more and communities can grow! :) This way new people can group up before setting out into the wild to conquer and build stuff.

1. The exchange should be more user friendly.
2. You should be able to teleport back to a spawn point.
3. Making friends in-game should be easier.
4. Joining towns should be more beneficial, fun, and easy.
5. People in the "help" channels should be less snarky when helping!

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Thanks for replying!

Care to expand on some of these? how would the exchange be easier to navigate for new users?
Making friends in-game, I really dont know how I can address this one!
The help channel issue has been an on-going thing, we try to make sure old users are friendly and helpful.

Thanks for replying!

Care to expand on some of these? how would the exchange be easier to navigate for new users?
Making friends in-game, I really dont know how I can address this one!
The help channel issue has been an on-going thing, we try to make sure old users are friendly and helpful.

The exchange: Maybe it should be explained somewhere that the box on the bottom is what you're selling and the sign is what your clicking and it definitely shouldn't say something random like Ghast Tear because that's really confusing. And the people in help were just like "it says soul shard"

Friends: The thing the person with the birthday cake said is a great suggestion for making friends and being social! Also- more benefits for being in a town would help =P

Ahrall

Legacy Supporter 5

1: The exchange is fairly self explanitory if you look at it, it tells you below the sign what you are selling. Perhaps if we made it closer to the docks and put the value of the soul on the label itself (instead of the difficult-to-understand-for-newbies-sign)
2. No, no, no, and double no. Learning the lay of the land and the most efficient way to get to spawn is part of the herocraft experience. Also if you have some coin laying around you can simply take a herogate. Or you can save up for a spawn plot (easily affordable in a day or two of gameplay) and never have to travel too far from spawn.
3. See my point #4
4. Towns are extremely beneficial. You have complete security over your stuff, you become part of a community, and you can meet some cool people. Seriously I highly recommend going on the townships section of the forums and look for a town, and while there are a few towns that are a bit more "picky" over who they recruit most towns are not like this
5. I can agree with you 100% on this note, but unfortunately this is a result of the playerbase and not the server itself

If you need help in game and you don't trust the guides, I actually suggest PMing a Herald. We are a bit harder to find, but we don't really have any trolls that will sass you for asking questions.

1: The exchange is fairly self explanitory if you look at it, it tells you below the sign what you are selling. Perhaps if we made it closer to the docks and put the value of the soul on the label itself (instead of the difficult-to-understand-for-newbies-sign)
2. No, no, no, and double no. Learning the lay of the land and the most efficient way to get to spawn is part of the herocraft experience. Also if you have some coin laying around you can simply take a herogate. Or you can save up for a spawn plot (easily affordable in a day or two of gameplay) and never have to travel too far from spawn.
3. See my point #4
4. Towns are extremely beneficial. You have complete security over your stuff, you become part of a community, and you can meet some cool people. Seriously I highly recommend going on the townships section of the forums and look for a town, and while there are a few towns that are a bit more "picky" over who they recruit most towns are not like this
5. I can agree with you 100% on this note, but unfortunately this is a result of the playerbase and not the server itself

If you need help in game and you don't trust the guides, I actually suggest PMing a Herald. We are a bit harder to find, but we don't really have any trolls that will sass you for asking questions.

This forum is for newbies. I.E. me! I was asked to respond based on how I felt after playing. Great that you think everything is easy and makes sense but its not like I'd know any of that having played minecraft for like 2.2 seconds and herocraft for seemingly less than that. Sorry i offended your knowledge >.>

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8

Fair points, it is very overwhelming when you first start.

Have you had a read of (or even been referred to, for that matter) the getting started guide? :) (<< Click it if you haven't read it already :p!)

That introductory article/guide is a great place to start, even before you set off in the server itself! Either way it is a great source of information and most of it would help you in resolving your points here :)

Also, if you haven't had much actual minecraft experience, i'd suggest reading up some tutorials on minecraft itself. Then you'll know the basics of minecraft and will not have to worry about how to do certain things that are just plain old minecraft :)

In addition to the link above, the wiki itself is an abundance of knowledge (albeit not always up to date, but good nonetheless) and you can find the answers to a lot of your herocraft needs there.

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
Reading the thread reminded me of my one gripe I had in the first few weeks. The exchange is way out of the way. I like the idea of it being at central, but I don't see a reason why PvP and PvE can have their own exchanges at their relative spawns. Having to go to central and run 200 or so blocks to sell my souls seems like an inefficient use of my time on the server. Ideally I'd like an Exchange that is within 100 blocks of 0,0 on both the PvP and PvE servers. I understand wanting one centralized Exchange, but it's quite a bit nicer for the players if they don't have to run long distances to do the most tedious of tasks.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Reading the thread reminded me of my one gripe I had in the first few weeks. The exchange is way out of the way. I like the idea of it being at central, but I don't see a reason why PvP and PvE can have their own exchanges at their relative spawns. Having to go to central and run 200 or so blocks to sell my souls seems like an inefficient use of my time on the server. Ideally I'd like an Exchange that is within 100 blocks of 0,0 on both the PvP and PvE servers. I understand wanting one centralized Exchange, but it's quite a bit nicer for the players if they don't have to run long distances to do the most tedious of tasks.
we're going to be putting speed-boosts pads at the docks so you can make it to central in a little amount of time :)

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
I know one thing that was confusing a friend of mine was outdated signs in the tutorial. He was asking me questions which I thought were silly, but when he told me that the information was from signs in the tutorial I was slightly confused. I don't remember the exact information that was out of date, but I think I remember him saying something about what level you need to be to spec classes (there were a couple things, this is just one I remember).

RagingDragon5

Portal
Hmm I didn't get a notiication on this. I would suggest having players start in tour chat, whitelisted or not. It should be up to guides to help members learn the server more. A lot of questions are asked in O chat now, since thats the default chat for newer whitelisted players. Which makes guides miss a lot of questions.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
I know one thing that was confusing a friend of mine was outdated signs in the tutorial. He was asking me questions which I thought were silly, but when he told me that the information was from signs in the tutorial I was slightly confused. I don't remember the exact information that was out of date, but I think I remember him saying something about what level you need to be to spec classes (there were a couple things, this is just one I remember).
I was working on updating the signs for the tutorial before the map release, unfortunately I did not have time so I couldn't update much.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I was working on updating the signs for the tutorial before the map release, unfortunately I did not have time so I couldn't update much.
I updated many signs toward the end of the last map. Then I found out there were two tutorials, lol. If people are asking about levels being 20 or 30, I suspect the tutorial I did NOT update is the one being used.

That said, there will be information that needs updating specifically for this map. The end of the tutorial, which directs players to their options on the various maps, is the trickiest area.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
I updated many signs toward the end of the last map. Then I found out there were two tutorials, lol. If people are asking about levels being 20 or 30, I suspect the tutorial I did NOT update is the one being used.

That said, there will be information that needs updating specifically for this map. The end of the tutorial, which directs players to their options on the various maps, is the trickiest area.
Yeah, the one that I updated was the one used since I saw the signs I edited.

@Kainzo if you need someone to finish updating the signs in the tutorial world I can do it.
Same, I was unfortunately really busy during the period I was asked to update. Now that I have more time, I can definitely update the tutorial.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We need to revamp the tutorial completely.

There's so much missing and its not anyone one person's fault. We need a more indepth guide in the tutorial to show how skills work, etc.

So we can spend man hours updating the current ones signs - or redesign it. @sct really wanted to weigh in on some of this :)

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Couple ideas

1. Force new players to Sanctuary - this will allow them some time to learn the server before becoming bait for the noob killers
2. Maybe have specific quests for Lost Souls only on sanctuary - so new players can have a direction when they literally step off the boat (not sure if possible to limit quests to classes)
3. Maybe a sign (or 3) giving them a brief run down on simple commands (maybe this is in the tutorial - been a long time since I went through it). A lot of the commands have their own help, but new players don't know the base command to get the help.
A. /GETPOS
B. /Money
C. /tell
D. /Skills
(Just some of the more popular questions I see in the help channel)
4. Tough one here - have helpful players (like Guides) take a new player (or a group) and show them around spawn and central - show them where the exchange is and which click to sell / which click means buy. Maybe something like every 2 hours a guide does a 15 minute tour. Not sure if this is possible / realistic but it would show new players that the server cares and wants them to become a successful member of the community.
5. Start new players with a 'basic equipment pack'. They all start with a group of stone tools - sword, axe, pick, hoe. maybe even a loaf of bread or two. I remember on bastion you could talk to a guy in spawn and he would give you a starting set of tools - it was useful to a noob who starts with nothing and has to run through mob infested lands to get to a tree he can cut down with his bare hands - then make a workbench, then a wooden tool that is not very efficent. It probably takes 30 mins for a new player to equip themselves with some stone tools - 30 minutes of wasted time in which they can't even defend themselves from a zombie.

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
We need to revamp the tutorial completely.

There's so much missing and its not anyone one person's fault. We need a more indepth guide in the tutorial to show how skills work, etc.

So we can spend man hours updating the current ones signs - or redesign it. @sct really wanted to weigh in on some of this :)
We need to keep the Tutorial in date just like the Wiki, and maybe for the how skills work, have little {Tutorial} rooms where it temporarly changes you into that class with some wands with a skill binded and a few mobs. Hopefully if they got the concept of right clicking for binds they could get a demo of how the skills work >.<