• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New User Experience Feedback:

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
On a different note, people are having problems finding out how the enter the ''real'' worlds (PvP, PvE). I found 3 people in less than 20 minutes who all were wandering around in Central towards the trade district and arena, not knowing where to go.

As you come out of the tutorial, the floating text toward the exchange and trade district appears a few blocks ahead of the floating text at the dark oak wall, which is where the servers are explained. I can see how people might veer toward the trade district and miss the notice about the servers.

@Kainzo would it be possible to place an NPC (along the style of the fireworks guy) on the low part of the sand bank between the tute portal and the town, spouting info about the servers - so that new players can't miss getting the information?

Or otherwise, bring the floating text about the servers much closer to the tutorial portal exit?

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
I always had an idea but people are gonna say its stupid, why not just remove register whitelist all of that and make it so its a timer for X amount of time and when they reach that time they lets say get the ability to join all channels offtopic all those. When they reach that amount of time their name appears somewhere where guides or whoever does background checks gets to see it and they do it. Thats my idea dont hate hard if its horrible

It would keep us a lot of new players, a lot of young players especially.
Players that often aren't very eager to learn, or to understand. Players that just register on a server to "check it out", as in logging in, running around and exploring a bit until they realize it's boring or all too hard to understand, so they grief, spam and get banned.
The whitelist process is in my opinion a rarely used step in security, which in this case requires nothing more than the use of a single command in game. I looked it up, there used to be a more complex application process before, ergo this has been optimized already, to the better.

However, in my honest opinion, it would keep us additional players, those that wouldn't be able to figure out such a simple system.
And don't tell me it's because they are afraid of using their email in a command because of data security issues, guys, you use your email to register here or anywhere on the net, so this is not an excuse.
Taking out the whitelist process, would require the staff to be even more active and focus on rule breakers only, because it would open the gate for additional players that ruin the gameplay experience for everyone else, by breaking the rules consecutively and generally intentional.
I've experienced this sample player myself, 2 times actually, when I came back to one of my shelters close to pve spawn. Guess what, devastated and someone even left me a sign with a not so friendly message. I found out the player's name, since a staff member took care of him right after I reported him. I looked him up in the member list and it indeed was a fresh, recently registered player. It's great that you suggest an idea, but it wouldn't prevent people from griefing, at least you didn't mention anything about that. And of course, the whitelist process didn't prevent these 2 players from doing it either, but what could anyway? And therefore, even if it's just a little additional protection against "random griefers" joining the server, it still does what it's supposed to do very well. Just an impulse to think about it again.

I occasionally see it myself in chat, "why can't I break blocks", "why can't i do this or that", so I totally get your point, but I see more disadvantages for the actual and serious players, the staff and the server in general, than I see enough advantages in it (when talking about any kind of security measure in general). Nevertheless, one can only speculate if abolishing the whitelist process would actually get more players to stay or at the other hand, if not abolishing it would keep players away. In my opinion it's simply an important security feature which is a must, but after all everyone has his own opinion about it.

The problem unfortunately is, that we have a lot of dedicated, helpful and creative players here, but all that won't help if the new player to join is disregardful. Yes, there will always be this and that kind of players... but no need to tell me a neverending story that has been told before.

I hope it doesn't sound too hard, I just wanted to say it the way I see it...

Last edited:

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
As you come out of the tutorial, the floating text toward the exchange and trade district appears a few blocks ahead of the floating text at the dark oak wall, which is where the servers are explained. I can see how people might veer toward the trade district and miss the notice about the servers.

@Kainzo would it be possible to place an NPC (along the style of the fireworks guy) on the low part of the sand bank between the tute portal and the town, spouting info about the servers - so that new players can't miss getting the information?

Or otherwise, bring the floating text about the servers much closer to the tutorial portal exit?
I've successfully picked up 5 players and failed a couple last night and this morning who were all lost on Central. It's clear that finding the way out of Central is a big problem for new players, especially amongst young, foreign players who don't main english as their language.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
By the way, I noticed at http://www.minecraft-index.com/6027-herocraft-rpg-minecraft-server/vote an advertisment banner which indicates one of our sites "play.hc.to" . This site is 403 forbidden, unaccessable. I have no idea what that site used to be there for, but maybe we could create a little registration site, where the complete registration process is explained in steps. Of course it should be visible on the home of hc.to. Maybe this could solve registration problems from the beginning. From mmorpg website I know big buttons "PLAY" or "CLICK HERE TO PLAY", "PLAY FOR FREE" or whatever, you know what I mean. This might be a good addition I guess and you could also add the IP to that site, including the add-server-to-multiplayer-list process and how to join our TS (not sure about this one though).

- Registering at the website
- Whitelisting in game
- Joining the TS
- Adding a link to new players guides, the commands list and the wiki itself
- Hints to ask questions in /tour or /h

Last edited:

Xhazed

Portal
It would keep us a lot of new players, a lot of young players especially.
Players that often aren't very eager to learn, or to understand. Players that just register on a server to "check it out", as in logging in, running around and exploring a bit until they realize it's boring or all too hard to understand, so they grief, spam and get banned.
The whitelist process is in my opinion a rarely used step in security, which in this case requires nothing more than the use of a single command in game. I looked it up, there used to be a more complex application process before, ergo this has been optimized already, to the better.

However, in my honest opinion, it would keep us additional players, those that wouldn't be able to figure out such a simple system.
And don't tell me it's because they are afraid of using their email in a command because of data security issues, guys, you use your email to register here or anywhere on the net, so this is not an excuse.
Taking out the whitelist process, would require the staff to be even more active and focus on rule breakers only, because it would open the gate for additional players that ruin the gameplay experience for everyone else, by breaking the rules consecutively and generally intentional.
I've experienced this sample player myself, 2 times actually, when I came back to one of my shelters close to pve spawn. Guess what, devastated and someone even left me a sign with a not so friendly message. I found out the player's name, since a staff member took care of him right after I reported him. I looked him up in the member list and it indeed was a fresh, recently registered player. It's great that you suggest an idea, but it wouldn't prevent people from griefing, at least you didn't mention anything about that. And of course, the whitelist process didn't prevent these 2 players from doing it either, but what could anyway? And therefore, even if it's just a little additional protection against "random griefers" joining the server, it still does what it's supposed to do very well. Just an impulse to think about it again.

I occasionally see it myself in chat, "why can't I break blocks", "why can't i do this or that", so I totally get your point, but I see more disadvantages for the actual and serious players, the staff and the server in general, than I see enough advantages in it (when talking about any kind of security measure in general). Nevertheless, one can only speculate if abolishing the whitelist process would actually get more players to stay or at the other hand, if not abolishing it would keep players away. In my opinion it's simply an important security feature which is a must, but after all everyone has his own opinion about it.

The problem unfortunately is, that we have a lot of dedicated, helpful and creative players here, but all that won't help if the new player to join is disregardful. Yes, there will always be this and that kind of players... but no need to tell me a neverending story that has been told before.

I hope it doesn't sound too hard, I just wanted to say it the way I see it...
Lewl i really dont tak it hard i just wanted to trow an idea i gues the idea is too awesome idk lewl sory not sory

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9

I'm accept this might not be a conversation that @Kainzo and the [USERGROUP=9]@Admins[/USERGROUP] and [USERGROUP=12]@Moderators[/USERGROUP] might like to have here... but...

I'm curious what impact the change from the previous whitelisting system to the current registration system has had on the volume and type of petitions.

And also, if in fact there has been an increase in griefing petitions (perhaps there hasn't, but if there has), what impact this might be having on the senior staff's opportunities to keep up a playful connection with the HC community.

colby2468

Stone
so after going through the tutorial multiple time i have complied a list of things that half to be changed. in the beginning of "tutorial isle" you start with a row of 15 signs telling you about what your going to do in the tutorial and after it. this is a great idea but it does not have the same in-pact the creators predicted. whats on there is great and i recommend keeping it, but i think there needs to be more on it. i feel there needs to be a little more exposition to this server there. just like on the back of a book it tells you a little about the story and grabs your attention. there are thousands of books in a bookstore but the author wants you to buy their book so the back of the book is imperative to that. just like this server there are thousands out there but you want the people who come to this server to keep playing.
right to the right of those signs is a ladder and lift. the lift will only work if your right on the same block. the idea of the lift is awesome and will captivate players thinking wow you can do this on this server? i wonder what other custom plugins they have. but i've seen people just skip it after clicking it once and it didnt work from a block away and just move to the ladder. i say to move the radius of where you can teleport if you plan to implement it again.
the profession part it well implemented but it needs to be more mandatory. again i've seen new player just skip by them not giving a care. then later they ask what is everything they skipped.
the combat one its more interesting but i think they need more on what the classes do. the npc's there are a good idea but i think it would help if they were auctualy there

Last edited:

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
Herocraft is also very team heavy. Most newer players don't join in with a group of friends. So what also drives newer players away is not being able to join or make friendships with anyone. I would suggest having an Admin ran town close to spawn. That new players are automatically put into. This will give the newer players their own chat so they can meet other people like them and give them a sense of community. Have Guides be mandatorly part of this town so it can be ran easier as well.

The town won't be extravagant or anything. Just something so people can feel like they are a part of something. Make it only hamlet size. Also give citizenship for only 2 - 4 weeks so they are encouraged to find a player ran town. By this time they should have their group of friends they would like to stick with while looking for a town.
This would be a great thing to implement I think! Due to the idea that newbs are fresh meat rather than fresh recruits for your town and/or team it takes quite awhile for new players to find a town before they venture off to PVE to avoid getting slaughtered having a town like this only on PVP may encourage new blood to stay on the PVP server

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
We are repurposing an existing town, CobbleDumperTon on PvE, as a starting off point for new players. It is close to spawn and a good swamp, and is connected by roads to spawn and the nearby graveyard. The swamp is at 250, 650. My pers res, where I occasionally set new players up with a couple of chests, is to the NW (ie toward spawn). CDT (the town) is diagonally opposite on top of the hill visible from the swamp, to the SE (ie away from spawn).

I have small farms around my res, and there are extensive farms outside CDT's regions. New players are welcome to use both for leveling Crafter and Farmer - with a clear understanding about leaving them in good order, of course.

To get to the area, take the South road out of Sanctuary spawn. First left goes to my res, second left (signed) goes directly through to the swamp, CDT, and the graveyard.

So far the [USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP] (titled or untitled) who have raised their hands for actively being involved in settling new players are: @RagingDragon5 @Irishman81 @whiteninja1970 @EtKEnn @Mischevity @minimike96 and lil' ole me. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.

Last edited:

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
However... this is what I'm finding from talking to new players:
  • They DO like personal contact and guidance - a player yesterday said this was the third time he'd tried the server in 2 years and I was the first person who'd actually spoken to him and talked him through things. (I usually connect with people in one of the public chats and then take our convo to a private message so they have the sense of getting personal, detailed attention, and we're not spamming the chats.)
  • They DO want to know where to start with leveling - I'm guiding them to come to the above-mentioned swamp, saying they'll often find other players there to party with. I have one little concern here that we might get bullies at the swamp, ie kill stealers who won't let other players join or who just want to grab the drops from new players. I would like to see people being considerate in sharing the swamp.
  • They DON'T necessarily want to join a town, they might want to just have somewhere they can go to set up their own space.
  • If they are interested in joining a town, they tend to want to do it as full members, not as a place to stay while they find a 'real' town to apply to.
I'm also seeing that players don't have any reason to join a town on PvE anyway. Towns provide no particular advantage. I'd like to see the whole Town/Pers res/LWC revamped to drive player interaction and involvement, but that discussion is for another thread.

However, there could well be value in a beginner's town on PVP, depending on how that server is developed.

On another note, I'm encountering quite a few new players who are looking for role play and/or the RPG server. I'm concerned that advertising those aspects before they are available is damaging the server because people leave when their expectations aren't met and probably won't come back.

MorganFX

Legacy Supporter 5
i agree that players do like having contact with others who will help them get started. However there are the occasional subjects who are given the resources and material i.e. Newbi_guide, yet they feel as though they arent being helped and will harrass the staff even once given the info to get started.

On another note im a recognizing that guides are given less and less respect during this map even though we are part of staff, Yes we are the lowest if not near low of the chain of staff but guides still deem right to being respected.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
We are repurposing an existing town, CobbleDumperTon on PvE, as a starting off point for new players. It is close to spawn and a good swamp, and is connected by roads to spawn and the nearby graveyard. The swamp is at 250, 650. My pers res, where I occasionally set new players up with a couple of chests, is to the NW (ie toward spawn). CDT (the town) is diagonally opposite on top of the hill visible from the swamp, to the SE (ie away from spawn).

I have small farms around my res, and there are extensive farms outside CDT's regions. New players are welcome to use both for leveling Crafter and Farmer - with a clear understanding about leaving them in good order, of course.

To get to the area, take the South road out of Sanctuary spawn. First left goes to my res, second left (signed) goes directly through to the swamp, CDT, and the graveyard.

So far the [USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP] (titled or untitled) who have raised their hands for actively being involved in settling new players are: @RagingDragon5 @Irishman81 @whiteninja1970 @EtKEnn @Mischevity and lil' ole me. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.
You forgot me D:
I'm part of it too!

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
i agree that players do like having contact with others who will help them get started. However there are the occasional subjects who are given the resources and material i.e. Newbi_guide, yet they feel as though they arent being helped and will harrass the staff even once given the info to get started.

Yes, we get all combinations of age and maturity. There's no way of predicting how a player will behave, so I reckon just give it your best shot each time. I too have had the experience of giving a player half an hour of close attention and detailed information, just to have them rage-quit a minute later. :(

On another note im a recognizing that guides are given less and less respect during this map even though we are part of staff, Yes we are the lowest if not near low of the chain of staff but guides still deem right to being respected.

This concerns me and I feel must be addressed.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
play.hc.to is the IP for the server, not a URL. It does indeed link you to the server.

I noticed this my self, but too late. Thank you anyway Witch =)

So far the [USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35][USERGROUP=35]@Guides[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] (titled or untitled) who have raised their hands for actively being involved in settling new players are: @RagingDragon5 @Irishman81 @whiteninja1970 @EtKEnn @Mischevity @minimike96 and lil' ole me. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.

I find this is a great idea. I've seen that place often when travelling around. It does have huge fields for everything. But it would be required to have someone watch this town and the members behavior as in griefing and not replanting fields of course. I haven't seen a road that connects to your residence's road to spawn though, you might wanna extend it then.

Last edited:

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
Not sure if someone already suggested it on this thread but can we have the IP visible on the website like maybe at the top of the page, next to the "Herocraft The Multiverse" logo? From what I've seen in shout boxes, a lot of people keep asking for the ip.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Not sure if someone already suggested it on this thread but can we have the IP visible on the website like maybe at the top of the page, next to the "Herocraft The Multiverse" logo? From what I've seen in shout boxes, a lot of people keep asking for the ip.
I like this idea heh... need to have the IP visible.