• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Let's Not Enable TNT in Regions

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
TNT has been planned for two or so maps, it's something that I think could be fun and interesting gameplay.

Mark / Recall are changing as well. Mark will not allow you to mark in locations that you do not explicitly have build rights on.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
How would TNT ''fix'' these ''fake and unused overcities''? If anything, it will push players further underground; given that the overcity of any town would be the most vulnerable thing to TNT.

Simple, it will end towns that would be vulnerable to the threat of TNT cannons (which I presume yours if one of them since you are so afraid of them) and force the members to join towns that know what they are doing that will remain standing strong.

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
Simple, it will end towns that would be vulnerable to the threat of TNT cannons (which I presume yours if one of them since you are so afraid of them) and force the members to join towns that know what they are doing that will remain standing strong.
And this is what we want, active towns that thrive and build the herocraft community. Older members who train newer members to become strong, not to rage quit after they die once or twice.

MajorasMask

Ungodly

And how would any of that fix ''fake cities''? O_O

It is not that i'm afraid of the idea, I just think it's stupid. I imagine that, if people are to find themselves vulnerable to TNT (say that their home is on the surface, or that they have an undercity close to the surface), then they'll just move themself deeper underground, or, like you suggest, at the centre of a huge region whereas their structures cannot be breached. Then, I presume, we'll be at stage 1 with raiders not being able to access the town once again.

Meditrina

Legacy Supporter 6
All of a sudden building my personal residence in the ocean sounds like a good idea.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6

I dunno if you ever heard of / played shadowbane, darkfall online, or any number of similar games (even other minecraft servers), but if there is some way to possibly grief someones crap, no matter how big / active your town is, a group of people will log in at 4AM in the morning and grief your crap lol. I have no idea how the tnt cannons will work, how effective they will be at getting to chests etc, but i feel the way this thread discussion is going, they are either gonna be practically useless, or result in everyone building obsidian structures or tiny boxes in the bottom / center of town to abuse region limitations on tnt placement, both of which are not fun options to me.

IMO, Tnt should be able to be placed anywhere, even in regions, allowing raiders to get anywhere in a town and grief / take over peoples towns as long as they can hold out. However, chests should be protected in some manner to prevent true griefing. I dont know if this is even possible, but maybe "chests that have not been accessed in last 5 minutes (random number, adjustable)" would be protected completely from any access to anyone not part of town / guest; HOWEVER, to give raiders some economic incentive, any chests accessed in last 5 minutes (not lwc) could be opened / raided from. This would prevent people hiding in towns from quickly stowing all their stuff when being raided, and raiders would at least get the equipment they had on them if successful. Just an idea, probably not even possible to be programmed, but its an idea /shrug.

Personally, i just really dont want this mod to result in one optimal town design specifically for the purpose of taking advantage of the limitations of the tnt / region limits. Then all our towns would look the same and that would be dumb.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
And how would any of that fix ''fake cities''? O_O

It is not that i'm afraid of the idea, I just think it's stupid. I imagine that, if people are to find themselves vulnerable to TNT (say that their home is on the surface, or that they have an undercity close to the surface), then they'll just move themself deeper underground, or, like you suggest, at the centre of a huge region whereas their structures cannot be breached. Then, I presume, we'll be at stage 1 with raiders not being able to access the town once again.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Will there be new rules about towns after this? What's to stop people from just making a big obsidian water box under the town and telling all of their citizens to put all their chests inside of it?

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Exactly what I was thinking.
Will there be new rules about towns after this? What's to stop people from just making a big obsidian water box under the town and telling all of their citizens to put all their chests inside of it?

The point is that it makes the game more complex, makes towns (specifically large, established towns) more important, and provides more possibilities for raiding. I don't think any raiders expect TNT to make it so they can steal whatever they want. Reference the below quote and Kainzo's stamp of approval:
Actually towns are created for the intention to protect you. They still will, it is just that now they are easier to penetrate, harder to defend. Encouraging strong and wealthy towns, as the weak will now die off. It's not impossible to keep your town from being affected by cannons, and it doesn't have to look bad either.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
The point is that it makes the game more complex, makes towns (specifically large, established towns) more important, and provides more possibilities for raiding. I don't think any raiders expect TNT to make it so they can steal whatever they want.

They wont be able to take everything they want because of lwc(s) , but if they aren't able to take anything then they might lose interest in raiding.

llamasx3

Legacy Supporter 6
If they do not enable TNT in regions then there will be little reason to put in the plugin. Most people are in towns/personal regions.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
They wont be able to take everything they want because of lwc(s) , but if they aren't able to take anything then they might lose interest in raiding.

I am personally really excited about using TNT for raiding. I don't suspect I'll loose interest for quite some time / ever. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Large cities might become quite TNT resistant. However, there will always be opportunities to test those defenses :) You're assuming every town will create a foolproof TNT protection plan. Testing for vulnerabilities will be half the fun (maybe more than half).

KleenX

Iron
I dunno if you ever heard of / played shadowbane, darkfall online, or any number of similar games (even other minecraft servers), but if there is some way to possibly grief someones crap, no matter how big / active your town is, a group of people will log in at 4AM in the morning and grief your crap lol. I have no idea how the tnt cannons will work, how effective they will be at getting to chests etc, but i feel the way this thread discussion is going, they are either gonna be practically useless, or result in everyone building obsidian structures or tiny boxes in the bottom / center of town to abuse region limitations on tnt placement, both of which are not fun options to me.

IMO, Tnt should be able to be placed anywhere, even in regions, allowing raiders to get anywhere in a town and grief / take over peoples towns as long as they can hold out. However, chests should be protected in some manner to prevent true griefing. I dont know if this is even possible, but maybe "chests that have not been accessed in last 5 minutes (random number, adjustable)" would be protected completely from any access to anyone not part of town / guest; HOWEVER, to give raiders some economic incentive, any chests accessed in last 5 minutes (not lwc) could be opened / raided from. This would prevent people hiding in towns from quickly stowing all their stuff when being raided, and raiders would at least get the equipment they had on them if successful. Just an idea, probably not even possible to be programmed, but its an idea /shrug.

Personally, i just really dont want this mod to result in one optimal town design specifically for the purpose of taking advantage of the limitations of the tnt / region limits. Then all our towns would look the same and that would be dumb.

Tnt will not be able to grief. It will regen.