• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Let's Not Enable TNT in Regions

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
What if people like didnt hide in the regions but came out to pvp and protect their town?

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Exactly what I was thinking.
Will there be new rules about towns after this? What's to stop people from just making a big obsidian water box under the town and telling all of their citizens to put all their chests inside of it?

What if towns built a town bank building that had obsidian protections for all of their chests? On Zeal buiding a bank (be it practical or astetic) was required and awesome.

You could also build a bunker made of obsidian, and leave the rest of the town alone. You don't have to build an ugly town to defend against these new changes. Your town would also be relatively safe if you didn't build it out the the borders of your allotted region.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I dunno if you ever heard of / played shadowbane, darkfall online, or any number of similar games (even other minecraft servers), but if there is some way to possibly grief someones crap, no matter how big / active your town is, a group of people will log in at 4AM in the morning and grief your crap lol. I have no idea how the tnt cannons will work, how effective they will be at getting to chests etc, but i feel the way this thread discussion is going, they are either gonna be practically useless, or result in everyone building obsidian structures or tiny boxes in the bottom / center of town to abuse region limitations on tnt placement, both of which are not fun options to me.

IMO, Tnt should be able to be placed anywhere, even in regions, allowing raiders to get anywhere in a town and grief / take over peoples towns as long as they can hold out. However, chests should be protected in some manner to prevent true griefing. I dont know if this is even possible, but maybe "chests that have not been accessed in last 5 minutes (random number, adjustable)" would be protected completely from any access to anyone not part of town / guest; HOWEVER, to give raiders some economic incentive, any chests accessed in last 5 minutes (not lwc) could be opened / raided from. This would prevent people hiding in towns from quickly stowing all their stuff when being raided, and raiders would at least get the equipment they had on them if successful. Just an idea, probably not even possible to be programmed, but its an idea /shrug.

Personally, i just really dont want this mod to result in one optimal town design specifically for the purpose of taking advantage of the limitations of the tnt / region limits. Then all our towns would look the same and that would be dumb.

TNT wont fuck chests or allow stealing of items. it will simply as an entrance to an otherwise un-enterable area.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
TNT wont fuck chests or allow stealing of items. it will simply as an entrance to an otherwise un-enterable area.
Kainzo, in it's current state, it will. Not "directly", but it will provide a method of stealing items from other players. The only way you can prevent this is by stopping the plugin from destroying blocks that are placed on top of chests.

dils1

Legacy Supporter 7
Kainzo, in it's current state, it will. Not "directly", but it will provide a method of stealing items from other players. The only way you can prevent this is by stopping the plugin from destroying blocks that are placed on top of chests.
Kainzo has said before that he doesnt support dirt blocks on chests

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Which kind of confuses me, as he seems to be against stealing, heh.
If you want locks, use LWC. It's secure, much more configurable and it just works (99.9% of the time)

Dirt above chest is sloppy, is not backed by a plugin and is much more vulnerable to theft.

If they can find a method to tnt an area that has blocks above chests, it can destroy the dirt above the chest. That would mean a very finite destination for the tnt-cannon that may not be easily done.

In short, use LWC when its valuable, otherwise we don't recognize dirt over chest as a secure method. The TNT will NOT explode chests is what we point out here.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
If you want locks, use LWC. It's secure, much more configurable and it just works (99.9% of the time)

Dirt above chest is sloppy, is not backed by a plugin and is much more vulnerable to theft.

If they can find a method to tnt an area that has blocks above chests, it can destroy the dirt above the chest. That would mean a very finite destination for the tnt-cannon that may not be easily done.

In short, use LWC when its valuable, otherwise we don't recognize dirt over chest as a secure method. The TNT will NOT explode chests is what we point out here.

What will the block regen time look like?

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9

Thanks for the clarification Kainzo - this helps us plan ahead. Looks like I need some obsidian for my semi-valuable chests and lwc for the good stuff. The rest can have dirt and the raiders can have my double chest of sugarcane if they really, really want it.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
I would think all chests. Chests being destroyed and the items all dropping would cause a lot of lag.

It sounded to me like if a non-LWC chest was destroyed, the items would not spew out of it. It would just "disappear", and regen later with all the original items inside of it.