• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Guides and Proctors Killing New Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5
i try to kill everyone. but i never go to the graveyard for the purpose of killing them again. im interested in the loot, not pumped up kill streaks. defending against raids might be a little different situation, but for the most part i have no interest in killing the same player over and over again unless theyre asking for it like newerth was yesterday when one guy would run back from the graveyard and start throwing fireballs at 5 people trying to let him go lol

Nightroado

Obsidian
The problem is that people like to do cheap and wrong things. They like to glitch through walls, use x-ray, radars, etc. Camping doesn't even register as immoral to some. At the end of the day, if someone thinks they can do something bad and get away with it, they will.

That's why so many precious resources are dedicated to prevent cheating on this server. Because it -needs- to be done. It's just like if no one would steal, the prices of everything would be lower because there would be no need for things like Loss Prevention in stores. Wouldn't have to pay for the training, wages, security cameras, etc. But people are stupid so measures are taken against it.

People try to camp me at spawn all the time, but I just afk and go eat a sammich or something. It's easily countered. But I agree it is sad that people try it and even more sad that guides are no exception.

But nothing can be done about it. It's not your fault they are so pathetically cheap. That they have no pride in their behavior. That they are so desperate to feel like they are top dog that they resort to any method possible just to get any kill. That they smile to themselves that they came out on top in something that was never a contest in the first place.

I don't mean to offend, but it's fucking pathetic. I would literally log in shame if I were such a person. If this does anger someone, then I ask they hold themselves to a higher standard and show some maturity in how they play.

veltez

Wood
I have lots of sportsmanship. The disclaimers are for extreme cases, like when I am actively defending my region from griefers while trying to forgive them for cutting down my aesthetic tree with FOUR signs on it saying please don't cut down.

In this case they arnt being camped. your defending yout town. thats always acceptable, reguardless of level difference.

Acherous

Legacy Supporter 9
I would agree with leftovers here. I think that if you are a proctor or guide you should not be full on camping new players. Most proctors and guides know who's been around for awhile and who hasn't. I just don't find it fitting for staff members to be doing such things. I get that they are players but theres really nothing they're gaining by camping noobs. If you're going to kill them once or twice and take all their stuff, go for it. More than that is just childish and shouldn't be done by staff.

ShizzDawgg

Godly
MrPapodopolus icy125 PewPewPewLasers macura - you all seem to have f-palmed or disagreed with some of my points, and seem to be the only ones to do so and not add your written responses to this discourse. Care to share?
In their defense, once any player hits level 10, I would consider their death fair game to anyone. I could see some potential issues with killing level 1s, but this is no longer possible.

macura

Diamond
MrPapodopolus icy125 PewPewPewLasers macura - you all seem to have f-palmed or disagreed with some of my points, and seem to be the only ones to do so and not add your written responses to this discourse. Care to share?
My opinion is one that is similar to angy's. This action of killing new players as guide/proctor is a frowned upon. However the proctors and guides are also players, therefore they should not be bound by any restrictions in this matter.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
So everyone's position seems to be "Well, it's not OK, but we're not going to do anything about it." Seems pretty perverse to me.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Mine is "Well it's not desired behavior, but we are going to allow it so staff can still pvp the same as any other player."

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't think it should be against the rules for a staff to kill a new person. But It would be friendly if they didn't do it very much.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
if they choose to continually kill players rather than help them, I feel their role in staff is very short-lived.

A proctor whitelists new players
A guide helps new players get acquainted to the server.

Both are still regular players but with the ability to help/further the server.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
if they choose to continually kill players rather than help them, I feel their role in staff is very short-lived.

A proctor whitelists new players
A guide helps new players get acquainted to the server.

Both are still regular players but with the ability to help/further the server.

So do we have the ruling that Guides and Prcotors can be demoted based on new player killing alone? If so I have some people to remove haha

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
It's not a rule, because they are players... we may have to revise/rethink some things though.

I fully support that idea. I always cringe when I see certain Gruides/Proctors killing new people, but because we are considered players I have never said anything...well other then remove the title if you are going to do it.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Proctors just handle the whitelist, I don't see an issue with them killing whomever they wish. Guides... trickier.

krigenx

Glowing Redstone
This topic would be far more cut and dry if guides had any special abilities that could be exploited for the means of killing players. For instance, if a guide could port to a player, guides would thus be able to choose to port to new players and kill them. This would obviously be wrong.

If a guide leads a player to a location with the goal of ambushing the player, I would think this guide should not only loose guide status, but also be banned.

If the guide actively kills players within the guidelines of the server rules, while still fulfilling their role as guide in the chat...I see no problem with this at all. According to the current rules, this is well within their right.

Sios

Glowing Redstone
Been reading this thread a bit, skimmed a few parts here and there -- And whilst I am rather new to the server: I find that the problem isn't about how to restrict Proctors/Guides/Mods from killing/abusing new players, but rather: revising the current application(s) and reviewing each member that applies.

Each application, even after completion, should be reviewed by a select few (perhaps another group could be added that reflect that ideas of good values or only have a certain group and all groups above it (ie. Moderators +), to cast THEIR personal reviews on said player, then perhaps we (and by we, I mean the community) can start weeding out all the poor quality Proctors/Guides/Mods and accept in only ones that we feel are proper for the job.

The way I see it, the Staff are meant to set EXAMPLES for their community members. They are role models that new (and recurring) players should aspire to be. A faulty Staff member that seems corrupt (and albeit does his/her job), would only taint the values of this community- which in turns act as a domino effect.

It's always easy to fall to "evil" than it is good - But if the majority (if not all) of the higher ups display good values, other members are sure to follow. Why? Authoritarian figures influence people more than just their peers. So regardless of all of the poor quality players out there who grief, harass and exploit the community, if the general perception of these people change, because the mass agrees to it - and becoming a bad guy, would be frowned up - less people would follow that rocky road (in fear of being ostracized and isolated).

- That's my 2 cents.

If you'd like me to assist on creating an application, shoot me a message. I enjoy making formats. :)

//edit:

For those who are wondering: "Well, if I'm not allowed to do the juvenile actions I enjoy - What's the point of applying for one? Hell, no one's going to apply to become a Staff and help the server because you guys are so strict and anal about things."

And for that, I have a simple response. Believe it or not, some people actually care about the server- enough to help, volunteer without pay, to see the server succeed. Whether you care about the server and its inhabitants, is all on you - But it's equally the same reason why people donate to this server as well, without receiving much in return.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Each application, even after completion, should be reviewed by a select few (perhaps another group could be added that reflect that ideas of good values or only have a certain group and all groups above it (ie. Moderators +), to cast THEIR personal reviews on said player, then perhaps we (and by we, I mean the community) can start weeding out all the poor quality Proctors/Guides/Mods and accept in only ones that we feel are proper for the job.

I review all Proctor apps as Senior Proctor and Barnubus reviews all apps as Senior Guide. The Admins do have a final say but I have never had them deny either of us when we have requested someone.

Again we do NOT have a rule against Proctors/Guides killing newbies/camping newbies so your comment about "Can start weeding out all the poor quality Proctors/Guides/Mods and accept in only ones that we feel are proper for the job." is moot.

Until Kainzo/Upper staff makes the decision to put in place a rule, it is legal and I will not demote one of my Proctors for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.