• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Guides and Proctors Killing New Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
Undependant of it being legal or not, I think proctor and definitely guides should use another title when they are PVP'ing (specially when they fight newbies). Certain newbies think that guides are there for the sole reason of helping them..
And if "staff" goes around and camp newbies that might send wrong signals to the people being camped.
However I think proctors, guides and all other lower rank staff should be able to do whatever they want as long as they don't break the server rules.

Sios

Glowing Redstone
I review all Proctor apps as Senior Proctor and Barnubus reviews all apps as Senior Guide. The Admins do have a final say but I have never had them deny either of us when we have requested someone.

Again we do NOT have a rule against Proctors/Guides killing newbies/camping newbies so your comment about "Can start weeding out all the poor quality Proctors/Guides/Mods and accept in only ones that we feel are proper for the job." is moot.

Until Kainzo/Upper staff makes the decision to put in place a rule, it is legal and I will not demote one of my Proctors for it.

I'm not saying to demote the current Staff members - But if anything, to filter further as to what people get accepted. I understand that you're one of the few who do accept them - But it doesn't do any harm in really looking for quality players to act as part of Staff, right?

If anything - it makes the server more reputable for its quality Staff versus the other servers out there who just take anyone who applies. Now of course you're going to refute that there isn't a rule in not accepting anyone who applies just based on their moral value - But if you're saying that these sort of actions are frowned upon, then why accept them into the team? Essentially, by accepting a player into Staff, especially one with poor morals - You're endorsing their behavior, because they know they aren't being told nor would be treated differently for being a jerk. They know what they do (so long as it's within the confines of the rules), is perfectly fine, no matter what other players think of them - and quite honestly.. that's not how a Staff member should behave as, at least the way I see it.

I'm sure you and the other Mods (if any extra), have the sole ability to deny any application to your discretion (or rather should have the right to do so) - So why not? It deals with less problems within the community for the future as well as create players who would want to aspire to become these role models of the community.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I'm not saying to demote the current Staff members - But if anything, to filter further as to what people get accepted. I understand that you're one of the few who do accept them - But it doesn't do any harm in really looking for quality players to act as part of Staff, right?

If anything - it makes the server more reputable for its quality Staff versus the other servers out there who just take anyone who applies. Now of course you're going to refute that there isn't a rule in not accepting anyone who applies just based on their moral value - But if you're saying that these sort of actions are frowned upon, then why accept them into the team? Essentially, by accepting a player into Staff, especially one with poor morals - You're endorsing their behavior, because they know they aren't being told nor would be treated differently for being a jerk. They know what they do (so long as it's within the confines of the rules), is perfectly fine, no matter what other players think of them - and quite honestly.. that's not how a Staff member should behave as, at least the way I see it.

I'm sure you and the other Mods (if any extra), have the sole ability to deny any application to your discretion (or rather should have the right to do so) - So why not? It deals with less problems within the community for the future as well as create players who would want to aspire to become these role models of the community.

Again we do have standards and I myself do a check on the people who are chosen for Proctor. If there are any bans, they will most likely be denied. Killing new players or camping is not against the rules, it is allowed at this time. So again your point is invalid.

So again let me make this clear so you do not repeat yourself.

Killing new players or camping is not against the rules, it is allowed at this time.

Therefore that will not be a factor when choosing a Proctor or a Guide. Until Kainzo and/or upper staff rules against it, it is not a factor.

Sios

Glowing Redstone
Again we do have standards and I myself do a check on the people who are chosen for Proctor. If there are any bans, they will most likely be denied. Killing new players or camping is not against the rules, it is allowed at this time. So again your point is invalid.

So again let me make this clear so you do not repeat yourself.

Killing new players or camping is not against the rules, it is allowed at this time.

Therefore that will not be a factor when choosing a Proctor or a Guide. Until Kainzo and/or upper staff rules against it, it is not a factor.

.. I took into account what you had said earlier. All I was saying was that - Instead of just accepting people because they meet X criteria- because they are going to be the representatives of HeroCraft itself (holding a Staff title is a privilege, not a right) - They should be held to higher moral standards, especially towards the community they're meant to assist.

This doesn't mean they cannot kill people (both new and recurring) - But that we TRUST them to use better judgement on their behalf. That better judgement comes with an thorough review of each applicant.

And again - Regarding the whole: It's not against the rules to accept someone who camps new players - It's also the same for (and correct me if I'm wrong) - It's not against the rules to deny someone who has poor morals.

What it comes down to is - You have the power to accept and deny applicants (possibly to your own discretion.) That means that you have the power in how the values of the Staff will/can be, because you can only accept like-minded individuals who are applying for the cause to actually become role models of the server versus just people who treat their position as a job, ignoring all moral statues and applying for the title itself.

I understand you still have responsibilities nonetheless, but having a title that affiliates you with Staff - is a very wanted thing for those who are.. power hungry (if that's the right word for it.)

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I think the thread has run it's course. The fact of the matter is, we are players and as there is not a rule in place, it is not illegal. Like Kainzo said:

It's not a rule, because they are players... we may have to revise/rethink some things though.

So until that changes, it is legal, whether we like it or not.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Locking thread as it no longer serves purpose as Kainzo has already made an official statement on this.
if they choose to continually kill players rather than help them, I feel their role in staff is very short-lived.

A proctor whitelists new players
A guide helps new players get acquainted to the server.

Both are still regular players but with the ability to help/further the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.