• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Guides and Proctors Killing New Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
Personaly I don't like killing new players. I really see no need to kill them. They have next to nothing, little experience and don't grant any real reward. I often just say "Hey, take some melon" if I see one out in the wilderness and go on my way. However I don't see why staff shouldn't have the freedom to kill them.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
That's why I have a town. For the past two maps, I've taken pride in recruiting and helping develop some of the best players I've ever known/met on any map. I don't think any of my current new recruits can say that I hold any malice towards them or fellow newer players. In the wild when I see a new player (this map mind you), I NEVER attack them. I often give them whatever spare food I have and send them on their way. If they're extra-competent, I'll probably recruit them.
And that's YOUR porogative, not the servers.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I was simply defending my argument when Angyles asked what I did to help new players.

Yes but I did not see you anywhere state you would go with them and protect them from the Proctors/Guides out to get them....and if you did would you only protect them from a staff member but let someone else kill them?

Why not make it that no one can pvp until a much later level?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Yes but I did not see you anywhere state you would go with them and protect them from the Proctors/Guides out to get them....and if you did would you only protect them from a staff member but let someone else kill them?

Why not make it that no one can pvp until a much later level?
There's too many people to help, it's impossible to spread oneself that thin to be able to "save" new players. Sort of like the issue of distributing relief provisions to a ton of African nations currently (I know you guys love my analogies, so I made another one).

Getting back to serious business, if I'm spurred I'll try to call the person out in a private message, and if it becomes necessary visit the situation myself.

veltez

Wood
As a fairly new player id like to add my input.

First off Noob killing is perfectly fine with me. Its basicly a mmo styled pvp server so its to be expected. On the other hand, id say 5+ kills on the same person within so short a time qualifies as camping. Camping a new player, specificly one drawn to HC by the RPG tag only creates feelings of resentment and ill will in a new aspiring citizen of HC. To have this made worse by the act being done by a member of staff? yes they may be players themselves and have the "right" to still play. But what about the right of a new player to play an have a sporting chance against a like opponent.

Id like to clarify that this is mainly in line with class abilities. theres nothing stopping a new player from raiding and getting gear'd. Even more so when you have 10 lvls to do so. But take rogue for example. At lvl 10, we have sneak and kick. what do these high lvl players have? the best gear, and access to all of thier skills. If the pvp protection cap was 20, there could be no complaining. at such a time you have access to all your base skills as well as some spec skills. Id call that a sporting chance.

Sportsmanship is all that seperates a Pvper from those rageing hoards of slathering waste.

Personally a member of staff camping new players doesnt seem very proactive, unless out of defense.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
To have this made worse by the act being done by a member of staff? yes they may be players themselves and have the "right" to still play. But what about the right of a new player to play an have a sporting chance against a like opponent.

Well then you have to say no one can pvp someone under a certain level. We already have it set to 10, should that be raised?. Why is it allowed for a non staff member to camp and kill, but a staff member cannot, when we are players?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Well then you have to say no one can pvp someone under a certain level. We already have it set to 10, should that be raised?. Why is it allowed for a non staff member to camp and kill, but a staff member cannot, when we are players?
Fair enough, if it was raised to level 20, that might solve all of our troubles.

veltez

Wood
I never said it would be ok for none staff to camp an kill newplayers. the statement was for all players as my personal opinion. In my personal opinion senseless slaughter =/= pvp. If I may use an example of what unrestricted killing will get you, look at the mmo aion. The main draw is pvp, and its balanced around group pvp. In this sense group being 12+. To be frank the game is a ganking greifing sespool and has suffered for it.

Like I said, this is all just my opinion as a new player to HC. And one that will take his lumps like the rest of the populace.

And to jons post, people will abuse any system in place. whats stopping someone from staying under lvl 10? but it respect to the option, they cant pvp or be pvp'd so how does it hurt them or anyone its no different than someone respecing.

Now if its an abuse used in battle, maybe some kind of timer placed on resets? Or! sorry, edited with a new thought. Make resets something you buy with coins. say 50c ? thats low enough to get inside of a week, but high enough to make abuse much less frequent.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I only kill new people that attack me. Usually I try to help them. Being killed by higher levels is part of the game. However the amount of players that build their kill streaks and level by repeatedly killing the same person, following them around and such as to make it nearly impossible to play is disturbing. Left has a reasonable point. I think what he is saying is that the people who spend the bulk of their playtime killing the same new players over and over are asshats. And that we should try to refrain from allowing asshats to represent the server.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
This thread seems like Angyles blocking any assault coming at her :p

Anyways - on topic - I feel the same most other people do. I don't really actively search for PvP, so it wouldn't be a problem from me if I ever got a staff position. Which is unlikely.

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
My opinion on this is largely similar to Angy's and j2's.
  • I personally don't like when I see Guides/Proctors camping noobs and such
  • They are players, let them play as they wish, despite my personal disagreement
  • If they do something that shouldn't be done by someone that represents the server, take necessary action for their action. But just killing noobs, or a bit of camping every once in a while? Nothing to see, move along.
As a Guide, I answer questions in Help and Tour, and represent a helpful and "professional" side of the server where people can get help. Doesn't stop players from playing as they wish. Stuff happens, this is a Hardcore server. If it's not one person it's the next. Don't restrict play styles.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
I personally kill new players, I try to not camp them.
The problem with new players and dying is that they get mad and keep coming back, what should I do then?
They keep punching you untill your armor breaks, people get mad at me when I kill them but I don't want a guy following me around while punching me.

How can we know if it's camping or a new player trying to get "revenge" when he has died?

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
How can we know if it's camping or a new player trying to get "revenge" when he has died?
I have had occasion to use the following in offtopic:

"Disclaimer: the noob is camping me, not the other way around"

It usually gets other players to helpfully inform the noob that 10 hp tickle punching doesn't work

veltez

Wood
Personally i find that to be among the cheapest excuses as ive ever heard. You kill someone who doesnt really have anything. then kill them again when they come for thier stuff. Now, if they attacked first go ahead killem they deserve it. But but dont act like people dont just kill everyone and everything. with no reguard to the well being of the servers population. I say this B/c 9/10 that "pvper" would moan and gripe to any/everyone if it happened to them, but gloat when they do it to others. The entire point is sportsmanship. some have it. some dont. no amount of rules or enforcement will fix that.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Personally i find that to be among the cheapest excuses as ive ever heard. You kill someone who doesnt really have anything. then kill them again when they come for thier stuff. Now, if they attacked first go ahead killem they deserve it. But but dont act like people dont just kill everyone and everything. with no reguard to the well being of the servers population. I say this B/c 9/10 that "pvper" would moan and gripe to any/everyone if it happened to them, but gloat when they do it to others. The entire point is sportsmanship. some have it. some dont. no amount of rules or enforcement will fix that.
When someone kills another player, anything in the victim's inventory becomes the loot of the winner - their reward. It is fair game to camp a death chest, even a noob's, to claim what is rightfully theirs.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I have lots of sportsmanship. The disclaimers are for extreme cases, like when I am actively defending my region from griefers while trying to forgive them for cutting down my aesthetic tree with FOUR signs on it saying please don't cut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.