• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Best and worst classes

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
The thread has devolved to personal insults, repeating the same thing, and Lumify being wrecked like a ship trying to dock a coast at midnight, with no lighthouse. The only discussions I see are people trying to tell Lumify how Herocraft works, and him whining about HC not being exactly like other mmo's, where a team of professionals set everything in stone first, and then add content updates. With HC, it's constantly being reworked. Total overhauls to mechanics are a constant. And I find that amazing about the server. There is always something new or exciting, some new update, a new way the game works, classes have been fixed/changed. But that's not what is being discussed. Here we have would could have been an interesting, and possibly enlightening thread. However, it was created by the wrong person, and flooded with half-baked ideals that come from playing a class for a small amount of time, and hearsay. Classes are balanced for their role in PvP, and some can make it dungeon easily. That's just how the class plays. The rest are all balanced for their role in PvP, but with constant dungeon changed it is impossible to balance it in PvE as well, without fucking the PvP balances. Not to mention the dungeon is designed to be played with a party, so using "ranger can work in T6 no problem" as your argument is like saying, "This class that hasn't been reformed to the new dungeon changed is op in pve and every class I like should be like that, because I want to instantly play the class I like easily." To restate my point, close this thread. It can only go downhill from here.

I think we have an understanding. For this list, as the majority of combat gameplay happens in dungeons, I based class viability on dungeon viability. This is what new players experience upon joining the server, and picking a bad class because someone said "they're all balanced" is going to deter people from playing Herocraft. The only person who could make a thread like this and not get insulted and spammed is an admin, but that's not going to happen because they don't want to make an official statement on something they still have to fix but aren't going to for the foreseeable future.

But yeah, this thread is absolute crap. I was trying to have a decent conversation, but people charge in here with emotional baggage, which, if anything, proves the validity of the class balance problems.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
In theory this should work, but it is very uncommon. This is why Ninjas work so well, someone can aggro a boss and run around forever while the Ninja damages it. You can say "no, aggro's not like that" but then again, I've played the game and observed this myself. People act as if they can change the facts by ganging up on me. No, I'm just saying how it is. If you want it to be different, ask the admins to change it, don't just pretend things are different. That's so fucking weird. (that all wasn't completely towards you Sired, but towards everyone who makes incorrect statements about game mechanics)

I see you've disagreed with all of my posts, because unpopular facts are somehow no longer facts in your world. I'm backing up everything I say about Wizard being bad, but people would rather ignore the facts I present and act as if everything's fine. Sorry I don't live in your perfect little fantasy world, but you can stop disagreeing with all of my posts and adding to the hate. My message of wizard's badness isn't a hateful one, it's a longing one. I love the play style, and I want it to be viable in modern Herocraft.
Your facts are invalid. You have failed to make a valid point since the beginning of this discussion. Either come up with something particularly useful and actually helps your argument, or just stop talking, because all you're doing is digging a hole for yourself as everyone quickly denies your "facts."

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
Your facts are invalid. You have failed to make a valid point since the beginning of this discussion. Either come up with something particularly useful and actually helps your argument, or just stop talking, because all you're doing is digging a hole for yourself as everyone quickly denies your "facts."
I deny your existence. You aren't real because I close my eyes and yell nanananana. Do I win now? Are professions an actual way of making money just because a staff member said so? Or can we just play the game and see how things are for ourselves? Apparently gameplay experience doesn't matter, and facts are a popularity contest. Oh yeah, but "facts" aren't real if you're mad at me, they're just, just, bad things I came up with. Yeah that's it. 'Lumify is coming up with bad things that aren't nice and I don't believe.'

Obviously if the staff is in on the "let's ignore how things are and act like professions are an efficient way of making money and classes are balanced" train, things aren't going to improve, so I'm not putting this in the suggestions forum. The best we can do is tell non-retards how things are and let the rest of you plebs rot in ignorance. You honestly either want people to have a bad time with bad combat/profession classes, or you are too blind to notice the fact that certain classes can't function.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I deny your existence. You aren't real because I close my eyes and yell nanananana. Do I win now? Are professions an actual way of making money just because a staff member said so? Or can we just play the game and see how things are for ourselves? Apparently gameplay experience doesn't matter, and facts are a popularity contest.
So I'm invalidated because I'm staff? MY gameplay experience doesn't matter? Glad to see you're appreciative of my time.

Oh yeah, but "facts" aren't real if you're mad at me, they're just, just, bad things I came up with. Yeah that's it. 'Lumify is coming up with bad things that aren't nice and I don't believe.'
The only "fact" you gave was that Wizard is supposed to be a glass cannon, and it is, but it doesn't meet your standards.

Obviously if the staff is in on the "let's ignore how things are and act like professions are an efficient way of making money and classes are balanced" train, things aren't going to improve, so I'm not putting this in the suggestions forum.
Things are always changing. If it's really that big an issue, collect facts, get these people who agree with you to also voice their opinion, and make a suggestion on how to fix it and tag the Balance Team. If it makes sense it'll be worked on.

The best we can do is tell non-retards how things are and let the rest of you plebs rot in ignorance.
Please, keep insulting the people you are trying ton convince.

You honestly either want people to have a bad time with bad combat/profession classes, or you are too blind to notice the fact that certain classes can't function.
No one wants anyone to not have a good time, but we also aren't here to pander to you and the way you think things should be.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
I deny your existence. You aren't real because I close my eyes and yell nanananana. Do I win now? Are professions an actual way of making money just because a staff member said so? Or can we just play the game and see how things are for ourselves? Apparently gameplay experience doesn't matter, and facts are a popularity contest. Oh yeah, but "facts" aren't real if you're mad at me, they're just, just, bad things I came up with. Yeah that's it. 'Lumify is coming up with bad things that aren't nice and I don't believe.'

Obviously if the staff is in on the "let's ignore how things are and act like professions are an efficient way of making money and classes are balanced" train, things aren't going to improve, so I'm not putting this in the suggestions forum. The best we can do is tell non-retards how things are and let the rest of you plebs rot in ignorance. You honestly either want people to have a bad time with bad combat/profession classes, or you are too blind to notice the fact that certain classes can't function.

Function and making money are separate things. Making money is a function, not the sole function.
I'm a Runesmith and Gills, Beacons and personal use Runestones are just fine. I don't find it necessary to go Blacksmith or something just because I would have a hard time monetizing my prof.

The usefulness of classes is an opinion. Even if Wizard doesn't make 100% logical sense on paper, the experiences of players have shown that it's fine. We have Balance meetings, and guess what? Nobody goes into them saying "Why is Wizard so weak, we need to buff it".

Also, name-calling people who don't want to listen to you isn't going to get you many supporters.

_Trains_

Obsidian
But yeah, this thread is absolute crap.

Can we have @Admins delete this thread? You can clearly see that more and more people are joining this page just to argue. This thread has been rolling downhill since the first post, and will continue to do so if not removed.

FaZeAlpine

ICE ICE ICE!
Now now children, lets just say that Ranger is the best PVP class on the server and call it a day.

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
Function and making money are separate things. Making money is a function, not the sole function.
I'm a Runesmith and Gills, Beacons and personal use Runestones are just fine. I don't find it necessary to go Blacksmith or something just because I would have a hard time monetizing my prof.

The usefulness of classes is an opinion. Even if Wizard doesn't make 100% logical sense on paper, the experiences of players have shown that it's fine. We have Balance meetings, and guess what? Nobody goes into them saying "Why is Wizard so weak, we need to buff it".

Also, name-calling people who don't want to listen to you isn't going to get you many supporters.
I agree with the sentiment that classes don't have to be purely for money making. I do think choosing a combat class to make money is a little wonky and perhaps should be discouraged by the game mechanics to some degree. From what I've heard, enchanter was the best way to make money before dungeon loot was buffed.

So I'm invalidated because I'm staff? MY gameplay experience doesn't matter? Glad to see you're appreciative of my time.

The only "fact" you gave was that Wizard is supposed to be a glass cannon, and it is, but it doesn't meet your standards.

Things are always changing. If it's really that big an issue, collect facts, get these people who agree with you to also voice their opinion, and make a suggestion on how to fix it and tag the Balance Team. If it makes sense it'll be worked on.

Please, keep insulting the people you are trying ton convince.

No one wants anyone to not have a good time, but we also aren't here to pander to you and the way you think things should be.

Your experience matters, and my experience matters. If I experience Ranger's dps and Wizard's dps, and you do the same, then we should agree with each other. We don't even have to talk about it; we'd already know Ranger does higher damage than Wizard. It's like how basketballs are bigger than baseballs. Yeah, you can say baseballs are bigger and get everyone to agree with you, but wtf man, is that really what we're after?

Glass cannons do high damage to compensate for their low defense. Wizard has high mobility to compensate for its low defense; this is a huge difference. It means they're trash in dungeons where mobility means nothing.

We're not voting on who to make stronger; the classes are already created. I was lucky enough to meet a former Wizard who switched; until then I had a mob of people telling me it would get better if only I get a little better, or just get the next skills, or get tier 2, constantly putting a carrot in front of me like I'm a pig they're riding. I plan on trying to get Wizard to tier 2 after I master Ranger and probably Pathfinder, simply because I like the class's style and at least it's viable outside of dungeons. But anyway the former Wizard friend of mine prefers not to talk about Wizard because people just get mad, as you can see from this thread.

I understand the mechanics of a delusion-by-denial, and I recognize it's easier to yell at me than to question one's own motives. I also understand it's easier to agree with an angry mob than it is to listen to a lone voice. I don't want Wizard to be better than another class, or even different from how it was designed. Herocraft is different than it was when the classes were balanced originally. When dungeon mob skills came out, the classes should have been reviewed for balance and compatibility. Maybe that can happen now.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I agree with the sentiment that classes don't have to be purely for money making. I do think choosing a combat class to make money is a little wonky and perhaps should be discouraged by the game mechanics to some degree. From what I've heard, enchanter was the best way to make money before dungeon loot was buffed.

Your experience matters, and my experience matters. If I experience Ranger's dps and Wizard's dps, and you do the same, then we should agree with each other. We don't even have to talk about it; we'd already know Ranger does higher damage than Wizard. It's like how basketballs are bigger than baseballs. Yeah, you can say baseballs are bigger and get everyone to agree with you, but wtf man, is that really what we're after?

Glass cannons do high damage to compensate for their low defense. Wizard has high mobility to compensate for its low defense; this is a huge difference. It means they're trash in dungeons where mobility means nothing.

We're not voting on who to make stronger; the classes are already created. I was lucky enough to meet a former Wizard who switched; until then I had a mob of people telling me it would get better if only I get a little better, or just get the next skills, or get tier 2, constantly putting a carrot in front of me like I'm a pig they're riding. I plan on trying to get Wizard to tier 2 after I master Ranger and probably Pathfinder, simply because I like the class's style and at least it's viable outside of dungeons. But anyway the former Wizard friend of mine prefers not to talk about Wizard because people just get mad, as you can see from this thread.

I understand the mechanics of a delusion-by-denial, and I recognize it's easier to yell at me than to question one's own motives. I also understand it's easier to agree with an angry mob than it is to listen to a lone voice. I don't want Wizard to be better than another class, or even different from how it was designed. Herocraft is different than it was when the classes were balanced originally. When dungeon mob skills came out, the classes should have been reviewed for balance and compatibility. Maybe that can happen now.

I have experienced both classes from both sides (As each and VS each) and while yes, a ranger can do more damage, a good Kiting wizard will stomp you any day. So yes, baseballs are bigger.

Again, with the new damage scaling fireball does something like 900 at max level to mobs. Skills are stronger than ever.

You kept talking about how you were just posting what you heard, and yet no one seems to be agreeing with your statements. Your 1 friend (Who doesn't share loot) doesn't like to talk, ok fine, not everyone likes to be on the forums, but come on.

"Delusion by denial" and "easier to agree with an angry mob than it is to listen to a lone voice."
So now you're insinuating I'm not forming my own opinions? The classes are different than when HC started, almost everything is different. The classes don't need to be re-worked just for some PvE, they already get more damage than ever.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3

I will come out of inactivity to woop ur arse as a wizard

LordZelkova made mention of this so I'm just going to reinforce what he said.

Neither of these classes really want the enemy to get close. So it really comes down on who lands damage more often than the other. A good Wizard would know to save blink for an explosive arrow and a Ranger would want to use grappling hook to try and get out of a blizzard or out of range of a bolt. So really one has "more dps" because explosive arrow and ice volley aren't that hard to hit. While Wizard needs you to get somewhat close to use any of your main damaging skills that are targeted.

So, what I think you should've done is made good STARTER classes. So people can get used to Herocraft's PVP mechanics and choose a better kit from there. When I first came back, I found Pyromancer really hard so I went to druid and I find that it was much easier to manage skills since none of them are skill shots. So you should've done something like that. Not the best class cause Ranger has a high skill floor because you need to hit your arrows to deal damage.

I know that this seems like it would be a 1 v 1 pvp fight, but I managed to beat a ranger as a Druid just cause I know how to dodge arrows and am able to intercept with my wall to heal back up. So I can easily say Ranger sucks. And I don't think I could do the same to a wizard since my wall cooldown would allow the wizard to get 2 fire balls off on me before the wall came back up. So he would end up winning that. But hey this is my opinion.

Last edited:

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
I have experienced both classes from both sides (As each and VS each) and while yes, a ranger can do more damage, a good Kiting wizard will stomp you any day. So yes, baseballs are bigger.
I shouldn't really have to say what mechanics make Wizard bad in dungeons if people would just experience it for themselves before bashing me. But here we go, and somehow I know I'm going to get attacked and disagreed for this as well: Wizard are better kiters in pvp than Rangers, but in pve, Ranger has no problem kiting because the mobs are so slow. Pvp Wizards can snowball, fireball, and fireblast instantly, while Rangers are forced to run or use their slow grappling shot to get away. Explosive shot helps a bit too. But most of the time in pvp, Rangers are too busy running to attack, while Wizards don't have this problem. In pve, Rangers can shoot 2/3 of the time, running back the other 1/3. Even though that number is closer to 9/10 for Wizards, Ranger's massive per-arrow damage outweighs Wizard in pve.

That is all against minions. When facing elites and bosses, a class must be able to withstand their unavoidable instant-damage skills. There's no skill aspect to this, it's just instant damage and you have to live with it. Ranger can take this damage; Wizard can't. Also, I doubt they added an armor value to mobs. Bypassing armor is the only thing that makes Wizard's damage even medium; when opponents are balanced for defense against physical damage without considering Wizard is garbage without its armor bypass, it makes things even worse. I'm not saying mobs should all be warriors, but making them like the average player would make balancing much easier since classes were designed to be balance against players. Like maybe Ranger-level armor. But maybe I'm incorrect, and the armor value on mobs is just very low.

You kept talking about how you were just posting what you heard, and yet no one seems to be agreeing with your statements. Your 1 friend (Who doesn't share loot) doesn't like to talk, ok fine, not everyone likes to be on the forums, but come on.

I'm asking for additional input, not to be lied to. I know what Wizard's like; I don't need people telling me otherwise when I've played it. The people against me on the Wizard thing have an emotional agenda. I haven't heard anyone defending Disciple, Merchant, Enchanter, and Runesmith. I'm guessing it's because the professions' downfalls are obvious and nobody has played Disciple. With Wizard, I'm guessing people were pwned by a Wizard in pvp and think they're amazeballs without knowing how ridiculous dungeoning is.

Again, with the new damage scaling fireball does something like 900 at max level to mobs. Skills are stronger than ever.

The classes don't need to be re-worked just for some PvE, they already get more damage than ever.
If your idea of balance means giving all the classes more damage, there's a serious problem with you being on the balance team.

I will come out of inactivity to woop ur arse as a wizard
I could see this happening; they aren't bad at pvp. I am a Ranger though, the Wizard's natural enemy.

LordZelkova made mention of this so I'm just going to reinforce what he said.

Neither of these classes really want the enemy to get close. So it really comes down on who lands damage more often than the other. A good Wizard would know to save blink for an explosive arrow and a Ranger would want to use grappling hook to try and get out of a blizzard or out of range of a bolt. So really one has "more dps" because explosive arrow and ice volley aren't that hard to hit. While Wizard needs you to get somewhat close to use any of your main damaging skills that are targeted.

So, what I think you should've done is made good STARTER classes. So people can get used to Herocraft's PVP mechanics and choose a better kit from there. When I first came back, I found Pyromancer really hard so I went to druid and I find that it was much easier to manage skills since none of them are skill shots. So you should've done something like that. Not the best class cause Ranger has a high skill floor because you need to hit your arrows to deal damage.

I know that this seems like it would be a 1 v 1 pvp fight, but I managed to beat a ranger as a Druid just cause I know how to dodge arrows and am able to intercept with my wall to heal back up. So I can easily say Ranger sucks. And I don't think I could do the same to a wizard since my wall cooldown would allow the wizard to get 2 fire balls off on me before the wall came back up. So he would end up winning that. But hey this is my opinion.
They seemed to put some thought into pvp, which was the primary use of these classes when they came out. Dungeons were just slapped onto the game without any thoughts about what class might get wrecked, and Wizard was that class. It's too bad the Test server doesn't have mobs to test on because most people just try pvp and say "oh wow, I can dodge stuff and attack while using my mobility skills to avoid damage" when it doesn't work like that in dungeons.

I shouldn't really have to say what mechanics make Wizard bad in dungeons if people would just experience it for themselves before bashing me. But here we go, and somehow I know I'm going to get attacked and disagreed for this as well: Wizard are better kiters in pvp than Rangers, but in pve, Ranger has no problem kiting because the mobs are so slow. Pvp Wizards can snowball, fireball, and fireblast instantly, while Rangers are forced to run or use their slow grappling shot to get away. Explosive shot helps a bit too. But most of the time in pvp, Rangers are too busy running to attack, while Wizards don't have this problem. In pve, Rangers can shoot 2/3 of the time, running back the other 1/3. Even though that number is closer to 9/10 for Wizards, Ranger's massive per-arrow damage outweighs Wizard in pve.

That is all against minions. When facing elites and bosses, a class must be able to withstand their unavoidable instant-damage skills. There's no skill aspect to this, it's just instant damage and you have to live with it. Ranger can take this damage; Wizard can't. Also, I doubt they added an armor value to mobs. Bypassing armor is the only thing that makes Wizard's damage even medium; when opponents are balanced for defense against physical damage without considering Wizard is garbage without its armor bypass, it makes things even worse. I'm not saying mobs should all be warriors, but making them like the average player would make balancing much easier since classes were designed to be balance against players. Like maybe Ranger-level armor. But maybe I'm incorrect, and the armor value on mobs is just very low.

I'm asking for additional input, not to be lied to. I know what Wizard's like; I don't need people telling me otherwise when I've played it. The people against me on the Wizard thing have an emotional agenda. I haven't heard anyone defending Disciple, Merchant, Enchanter, and Runesmith. I'm guessing it's because the professions' downfalls are obvious and nobody has played Disciple. With Wizard, I'm guessing people were pwned by a Wizard in pvp and think they're amazeballs without knowing how ridiculous dungeoning is.

If your idea of balance means giving all the classes more damage, there's a serious problem with you being on the balance team.

I could see this happening; they aren't bad at pvp. I am a Ranger though, the Wizard's natural enemy.

They seemed to put some thought into pvp, which was the primary use of these classes when they came out. Dungeons were just slapped onto the game without any thoughts about what class might get wrecked, and Wizard was that class. It's too bad the Test server doesn't have mobs to test on because most people just try pvp and say "oh wow, I can dodge stuff and attack while using my mobility skills to avoid damage" when it doesn't work like that in dungeons.
1. Bruh, you're beating a dead horse here. You've said that Wizards favor PvP over PvE many times already. In the words of our favorite ice queen, "Let it go."

2. There have been a few people who defended Disciple. Enchanter definitely has taken a hit for earning money with the new custom crafting. Runesmith is more just personal convenience for myself. I still don't really know what Merchant does.

3. No

4. Jrr gon' take you down, trust meh.

5. The server is currently going through a large identity shift. It's expected that in the beginning some things might still need to be adjusted to balance the game as a whole. Just give it a bit of time to fully adjust.

I believe that they had the intent that you would do at least high level dungeons as a group, not doing it solo. I'm sure that you can do it on your own as any class, but it would be much easier just to have a party and do it.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
When facing elites and bosses
There's your problem.
For better or worse, dungeons are *made* for parties. If you're trying to fight an elite or especially a boss, you're supposed to have a healer with you alongside others to do damage. Can't solo high level non-minions as X? That's how it's supposed to work. Get friends.

JacobBurkey

Portal
I'm asking for additional input, not to be lied to. I know what Wizard's like; I don't need people telling me otherwise when I've played it. The people against me on the Wizard thing have an emotional agenda. I haven't heard anyone defending Disciple, and nobody has played Disciple.
lol are you fucking retarded, disciple is strong as shit and destroys any class. I also saw you say earlier in a thread that it has weak heals and dmg so it's not a good support, well no fucking shit it's supposed to be a fighter with low heals. And obviously it doesn't have raw burst damage, it actually takes skill to play and to fight well with it. Get your head out of your ass. I also saw earlier you said bard had amazing heals, like, do you just choose to be stupid? It has one super low heal over time skill that isn't even good anymore. lmfao. And to you saying "I know what wizard's like, I don't need people telling me otherwise when I've played it." You're just being an ignorant motherfucker now lol. Just because you played it doesn't mean you understand the class or are good at it. Get good kid.

ur dum

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
lol are you fucking retarded, disciple is strong as shit and destroys any class.
Oh ok, maybe I'll put it up there with Dragoon on my list of things to bring up in a balance meeting if it destroys any class. Or maybe not because I think you're making stuff up by the way you talk.

Yeah, I'm dumb. That's it. Because somehow Wizard is supposed to destroy Ranger too. And it's so strong that one fireball can destroy a major town.

There's your problem.
For better or worse, dungeons are *made* for parties. If you're trying to fight an elite or especially a boss, you're supposed to have a healer with you alongside others to do damage. Can't solo high level non-minions as X? That's how it's supposed to work. Get friends.
If it's supposed to work that way, bring all the other classes down to Wizard's level. I would like to see that happen actually, honestly.