• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Best and worst classes

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
After talking to a few people with experience and hearing noobs ask "what's the best class," I thought I'd list what many people consider to be the best and the worst classes. I've tried wizard and ranger, which isn't enough to make a list on my own, but it's enough to know the classes aren't balanced. If someone tells you the classes are balanced, you know they're lying.

Good
Ranger
Dragoon
Cleric
Ninja
Necromancer
Bard
Beguiler

Bad
Wizard
Disciple
Merchant
Enchanter
Runesmith

This isn't necessarily complete, it's open to adjustments if anyone would like to add.

BEFORE REPLYING: Besides Ranger and Wizard, these aren't my judgements. These are common opinions I've gathered from the community. Stop spamming the thread.

Last edited:

_Trains_

Obsidian
OP
Ranger
Dragoon
Cleric

Good
Ninja
Necromancer
Bard
Beguiler

Bad
Wizard
Merchant
Enchanter
Runesmith
I think that all classes have ups and downs, equalling all of them out. Sure, some people may think that wizard is bad in combat, but some of his other skills are much more helpful.
I see other posts of people asking for class/profession modifications related to making everything easier. I remember @TimForReal stating in one of the posts that all classes are supposed to rely on each other for their abilities, and making sure that one class doesn't have every ability.
Finally, this is all an opinion. We could have big arguments over which class we prefer, and that could turn to a personal level of why one likes that class the most. If we want to rank classes more specifically, such as their skills in battle, then I would not object. But the fact that we are just listing them generally, there are too many factors involved and too many disagreements will occur.

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
Those are professions, and you didn't even list them all or all the classes for that matter. Not a great list.

The other classes would fall in the middle, being ok or maybe good. If people need a list of all the classes, they can find that elsewhere. Or they can just see this and say "oh, I see wizard is bad" or "merchant is bad" and remember not to play it.

I think that all classes have ups and downs, equalling all of them out. Sure, some people may think that wizard is bad in combat, but some of his other skills are much more helpful.
I see other posts of people asking for class/profession modifications related to making everything easier. I remember @TimForReal stating in one of the posts that all classes are supposed to rely on each other for their abilities, and making sure that one class doesn't have every ability.
Finally, this is all an opinion. We could have big arguments over which class we prefer, and that could turn to a personal level of why one likes that class the most. If we want to rank classes more specifically, such as their skills in battle, then I would not object. But the fact that we are just listing them generally, there are too many factors involved and too many disagreements will occur.

Wizard is a combat class. Yes, it has utility, but port is useless with recall and warp. "Oh but there's a cooldown on the others" the people will say - right, right, I hear the chorus now, there's no use. I brought up the uselessness of wizard's port in a balance meeting, and Kainzo said it should be for convenience. People make the argument that wizard's feature is its utility, well ok if it actually is a big deal. It's not a good deal. Its defense is bad and its attack is bad. It's not a support class. It's bad in combat, so it's bad. Please don't be one of those people who tells noobs "oh it'll get better, just get to tier 2!" It's a lie, wizard doesn't get better, it's always bad. It makes sense to do this I guess because everyone wants to be a wizard, and if wizards weren't bad, they would be all over the place. But of course now there are an average number of wizards because they're flashy but bad.

It is a list based on many opinions of honest people I've talked to on the subject. Many people will claim all the classes are balanced, but the veterans know this is a flat lie. It's not even a stretch, it's a lie. It's a delusion that sustains itself because nobody wants to admit their class is mediocre or their class is OP. I wouldn't be motivated to research and write this if I had chosen a mediocre class, but as a straight-up unplayable class like wizard, switching to an OP class like ranger, I see the enormous power disparity.

Theoretically yes, the classes SHOULD have ups and downs that make them balanced. The "good" classes have this, and most of the "ok" classes do to some degree as well. The OP classes and the Bad classes are known outliers. That's what people really need to know.

JustNireon

Wood
i thnk the best classes and worst classes are really dependant on the user. i like being a sneaky devil and backstab everbody so ninja is a lot of fun for me. my friend likes skilshots and kite other players and that's why he likes wizard and is good with it.

_Trains_

Obsidian
Lots of words but making a good point.
I agree with you, but if this thread is to go on, we should go into more specifics of why they are the best/worst. Things like: What weapons can they use? What good attacks can they use? How much health do they start off with? What armour can they wear? How much weight can they carry/how fast are they?

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
The other classes would fall in the middle, being ok or maybe good. If people need a list of all the classes, they can find that elsewhere. Or they can just see this and say "oh, I see wizard is bad" or "merchant is bad" and remember not to play it.

Wizard is a combat class. Yes, it has utility, but port is useless with recall and warp. "Oh but there's a cooldown on the others" the people will say - right, right, I hear the chorus now, there's no use. I brought up the uselessness of wizard's port in a balance meeting, and Kainzo said it should be for convenience. People make the argument that wizard's feature is its utility, well ok if it actually is a big deal. It's not a good deal. Its defense is bad and its attack is bad. It's not a support class. It's bad in combat, so it's bad. Please don't be one of those people who tells noobs "oh it'll get better, just get to tier 2!" It's a lie, wizard doesn't get better, it's always bad. It makes sense to do this I guess because everyone wants to be a wizard, and if wizards weren't bad, they would be all over the place. But of course now there are an average number of wizards because they're flashy but bad.

It is a list based on many opinions of honest people I've talked to on the subject. Many people will claim all the classes are balanced, but the veterans know this is a flat lie. It's not even a stretch, it's a lie. It's a delusion that sustains itself because nobody wants to admit their class is mediocre or their class is OP. I wouldn't be motivated to research and write this if I had chosen a mediocre class, but as a straight-up unplayable class like wizard, switching to an OP class like ranger, I see the enormous power disparity.

Theoretically yes, the classes SHOULD have ups and downs that make them balanced. The "good" classes have this, and most of the "ok" classes do to some degree as well. The OP classes and the Bad classes are known outliers. That's what people really need to know.
I was going to make a post about how pretty much everything here is incorrect and stupid, but that requires too much effort. Wizard is a fantastic class, if people think it's bad it means they lack any sort of skill.

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
I can land all my fireballs and iceballs, and keep all my skills on cooldown constantly. I can kite so nobody can hit me. I still did mediocre damage. When your damage is bad, you can't dungeon. You need to kill monsters before more spawn, otherwise you're fighting 5 of them and you have to run. Fighting elites was out of the question. They would only hit me when they used unavoidable skills like teleport. My damage was bad, and I was playing the class correctly, with no skill problem.

I love glass cannon skill-based classes. The wizard is not a glass cannon because its damage is bad, even with skill. Maybe it's good in pvp with entangle and snowball, but those kinds of skills are bad in pve, and pvp on Herocraft is dead.

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
I agree with you, but if this thread is to go on, we should go into more specifics of why they are the best/worst. Things like: What weapons can they use? What good attacks can they use? How much health do they start off with? What armour can they wear? How much weight can they carry/how fast are they?

This wasn't written as a suggestion thread; it's just a report on the state of the situation. We won't get things fixed if everyone keeps denying the problems. They're planning on fixing Runesmith, and that's because they acknowledge the problem. We aren't seeing the same thing with these other classes. The administration would rather leave Wizard weak so it's not overplayed; I understand that. I think all the other classes could be rebalanced.

_Trains_

Obsidian
This wasn't written as a suggestion thread; it's just a report on the state of the situation. We won't get things fixed if everyone keeps denying the problems. They're planning on fixing Runesmith, and that's because they acknowledge the problem. We aren't seeing the same thing with these other classes. The administration would rather leave Wizard weak so it's not overplayed; I understand that. I think all the other classes could be rebalanced.

First, let me go back to something I had previously said:
We could have big arguments over which class we prefer, and that could turn to a personal level of why one likes that class the most.

I was right. Look, there are already arguments and this post has only been alive for 3 hours. I don't think we should even be classifying any of these as "good" and "bad" because it is all preference.

Pretty much to summarize everything that's been said here ('cause 2 much grammars), the classes are (more or less) balanced, and it depends on the player's style and knowledge of the class's full potential to be actually considered "OP" in the Heroes plug-in.

Even if you take whatever you personally consider the best class vs. the worst class, it could still go either way depending on the actual skill of the player using it. That's why all of this is mostly subjective. Sure classes might have a disadvantage against a specific enemy, but in the grand scheme of the game it is all balanced.

JacobBurkey

Portal
What is this shit show, lol. Wizard is op as fuck, you just suck ass. No class is good or bad, there's no point to this thread.

"This wasn't written as a suggestion thread; it's just a report on the state of the situation."
r u dum. Nobody cares what YOU think about the classes, lol. There's no 'situation,' you're just complaining about classes you consider OP and whining about classes you think are UP b/c you aren't good at them. Why are you arguing with everybody after you make a stupid post that's just going to become a shit storm. You're bitching about how bad wizard is in everyone of your posts, but you obviously just don't know how to play the class. This game is ez, get gud.

"I was going to make a post about how pretty much everything here is incorrect and stupid, but that requires too much effort. Wizard is a fantastic class, if people think it's bad it means they lack any sort of skill."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^basically this

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
Wizard is op as fuck, you just suck ass. No class is good or bad, there's no point to this thread.

r u dum. Nobody cares what YOU think about the classes, lol.

you obviously just don't know how to play the class.

"I was going to make a post about how pretty much everything here is incorrect and stupid,

This post is basically spam, just like everyone who tries to say the classes are balanced. Anyone who seriously wants to discuss the facts needs to wade through pages of garbage posts like this. Please stop. These are observations made by multiple people I've discussed the topic with.

And I see you're now going to my popular suggestion thread and rating it with a facepalm for no reason. You're cancer. I'm trying to provide a resource here, and you're attacking me for saying HC isn't perfect.

Last edited:
This post is basically spam, just like everyone who tries to say the classes are balanced. Anyone who seriously wants to discuss the facts needs to wade through pages of garbage posts like this. Please stop. These are observations made by multiple people I've discussed the topic with.

And I see you're now going to my popular suggestion thread and rating it with a facepalm for no reason. You're cancer. I'm trying to provide a resource here, and you're attacking me for saying HC isn't perfect.
I hardly think you could consider this a resource, even to the average player who doesn't actually understand the classes, because:

A: Not all classes are listed.

B: Some classes listed are NOT actual classes, but professions.

C: There is no information as to why any of these things are "resourceful."

D: It is totally biased against wizards for some reason...

Now, if we want to discuss the facts of each class and the play-style each one requires to master, I feel like that would be a much more helpful resource if it does not already exist.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
I think you missed Druid, Bloodmage, and Shaman, but I'm not sure because I'm too busy completely disregarding everything you just said.

@Lumify

_Trains_

Obsidian
You're cancer.

Oh snap, dude if you want to keep this conversation away from spam: don't keep the anger burning. Saying dumb shit like this isn't helping anyone. You should know that saying stuff like this will keep an argument going.

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
Oh snap, dude if you want to keep this conversation away from spam: don't keep the anger burning. Saying dumb shit like this isn't helping anyone. You should know that saying stuff like this will keep an argument going.

Messing with my other thread like that and disagreeing with all of my posts is harmful and helps nobody, aka cancer. Someone's going to dislike this post because I'm not singing the praises of Herocraft's balanced, inspired design. Most of this list isn't even my opinion, I'm just posting what everyone's saying.

Lumify

Glowing Redstone
I think you missed Druid, Bloodmage, and Shaman, but I'm not sure because I'm too busy completely disregarding everything you just said.

@Lumify

Reporting for spam.

So far this thread is a bunch of hotheaded kids yelling about how they think classes are balanced and I'm a bad wizard, with a couple civilized posts. What a horrible community; we can change, just don't be horrible.