• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

ALERT On Oct 4th, 7PM CST: Herocraft Reborn!

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm thinking the fact they can fish up leather armor is good enough.
I'd have to agree.
Though they cannot mine, they can create leather which is worth quite a bit. Also, they can do all this within the safety of a regioned area, meaning no risk what so ever to their way of earning money, unlike miners who must leave regioned ares to mine.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
leather might not be as valuable as in the past with the new endurance changes. Why wear crappy break fast leather when you can use one piece of diamond and get the same protection as full leather.

Will have to see . . . developing . . . lol.

IMO let leather be used to make "ropes" that every class can use to spawn ladders / vines basically how rampart vine works on test for druid. Then everyone can scale town walls through using leather as a resource sink lol.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
On second thought, once you start enchanting and once custom drops are in, I can see a reason to use full leather rather than one diamond etc.

Lindblum

Legacy Supporter 8
Currency

The gold standard has fallen off as the main source of currency for the realm of Herocraft. You will need to hunt, trade, vote, and do other tasks to obtain the money needed to purchase your next class, chest protection, region or township.

Will there be other ways of making money? and with gold having no value, I think it might be quite challenging to keep up with the high settlements' maintenance costs even more so, individual noble plots . And I also do believe that having an item in-game that has a constant value (i.e. gold) is important in many ways, such as hiding one's wealth, in role-playing, etc.

Having less gold does have some benefits though. I can see that there will be less smaller towns and more dense, more populated towns and nomads.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
On second thought, once you start enchanting and once custom drops are in, I can see a reason to use full leather rather than one diamond etc.

Not as true here.

1) You can't enchant books. (to my knowledge as a previous enchanter)

2) You can't combine 2 Efficiency IV books to make an Efficiency V book for the cost of exp or any other known mechanic.
2b) mainly because the anvil is pretty "Broken" and can't be managed or something.

Correct me if I'm wrong @Kainzo ? Do you have any plans to add these vanilla mechanics into the classes?

The ability to enchant books and combine them for more powerful enchanting was one of the key features of actually removing Efficiency 5 from the old Level 50 enchants, when they made it level 30, and the best you can get off the enchanting table + item is Efficiency IV, Fortune III, Unbreaking III.

However, if you enchant books, and combine them at an anvil you can create "God" picks like E5 F3 U4 or something. I'm actually not sure of the limitations of vanilla, I haven't had a lot of time to experiment without OP on singleplayer.

I'm not sure if you can even do that in HC...

Enchanting kind of needs more love. If possible.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I'm thinking the fact they can fish up leather armor is good enough.
I think would be ok to add it in as a low drop chance if we were to lower the chances of other items that're fished up

I'd have to agree.
Though they cannot mine, they can create leather which is worth quite a bit. Also, they can do all this within the safety of a regioned area, meaning no risk what so ever to their way of earning money, unlike miners who must leave regioned ares to mine.
It's a risk vs reward thing obviously a drop rate for fishing/manual farming would be significantly lower than mining due to both relative safety and ease of access to the necessary materials for farming.

Last edited:

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Danda do you know if anvils can combine enchanted books or if that will get thrown into 5.1 or something?
Anvils will not be in as Bukkit still have no released a usable API to allow us to use Heroes EXP on use.

Will there be other ways of making money? and with gold having no value, I think it might be quite challenging to keep up with the high settlements' maintenance costs even more so, individual noble plots . And I also do believe that having an item in-game that has a constant value (i.e. gold) is important in many ways, such as hiding one's wealth, in role-playing, etc.

Having less gold does have some benefits though. I can see that there will be less smaller towns and more dense, more populated towns and nomads.
The ability to mine to earn money is not being lost. The method of obtaining the money is just being changed, we will be allowing for the custom nuggets to drop randomly when an ore block is mined.
Enchanting kind of needs more love. If possible.
You will likely see several changes once HeroForge is released.

Last edited:

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
The ability to mine to earn money is not being lost. The method of obtaining the money is just being changed, we will be allowing for the custom nuggets to drop randomly when an ore block is mined.

So, we can still sell stuff we mine up. Things like the blocks and items required for township costs will probably be in demand, is what you're saying? The *main* source of income from mining was gold, by far and more to the extreme than this new balance change will make any other block. I can already foresee diamonds going way up in price. Perhaps township costs will be changed for 5.0? No money for gold ingot's is a huge change.

You will likely see several changes once HeroForge is released.

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Everyone must understand that Gold Ore is a non-renewable resource. Mobs are renewable resources. Party up and kill mobs for hours and hours and hours. I'm not sure what the confusion is about. This is HeroCraft, not SitInYourUndercityAllDayCraft.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Everyone must understand that Gold Ore is a non-renewable resource. Mobs are renewable resources. Party up and kill mobs for hours and hours and hours. I'm not sure what the confusion is about. This is HeroCraft, not SitInYourUndercityAllDayCraft.
I'm rating this one *Winner.

Lindblum

Legacy Supporter 8

It is true you can party up and kill mobs. But some people and I live in different time zones, and have different playing styles. I just hope that mining will still be a viable option to make decent money. After all, the game is still called minecraft.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
leather might not be as valuable as in the past with the new endurance changes. Why wear crappy break fast leather when you can use one piece of diamond and get the same protection as full leather.

Will have to see . . . developing . . . lol.

IMO let leather be used to make "ropes" that every class can use to spawn ladders / vines basically how rampart vine works on test for druid. Then everyone can scale town walls through using leather as a resource sink lol.
We are going to see more use of gold armor too.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Many casters will not want to dump a ton of attribute points into endurance so that they can wear diamond. I see leather as being even more valuable now - for me at least - since I probably won't be prancing around in gold armor anymore, due to attribute requirements.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
Many casters will not want to dump a ton of attribute points into endurance so that they can wear diamond. I see leather as being even more valuable now - for me at least - since I probably won't be prancing around in gold armor anymore, due to attribute requirements.
Why use leather when you can wear iron. Just wear partial iron and you get the same protection that lasts longer

Dreadniah

TNT
Will the details on the scaling values for attributes be released at some point to allow players to theorycraft their builds? Perhaps on the wiki?
e.g. attribute cost = ⌈(2/5) * Attribute Level⌉

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Why use leather when you can wear iron. Just wear partial iron and you get the same protection that lasts longer
Is that how "endurance" is going to work? Like your endurance level gives you a certain amount of armor points, and each piece of armor costs a certain amount of armor points?
I figured it would be more like your endurance level dictates what type of armor and how many pieces you can wear. Like:

Endurance Lvl Ability Unlocked
1 -
2 - Leather Boots
3 - Leather Helm
4 - Leather Legs
5 - Leather Chest
10 - Gold Boots
45 - Diamond Boots
50 - Diamond Chest

It doesn't really make sense that a caster should be able to just wear one iron chest plate instead of full leather... Lore-wise, this is bad. Looks-wise, this is bad. Economy-wise, this is bad.

NOTE: I am writing this post with no knowledge of "armor points" cost of each piece of armor... could it be that full leather is still more efficient than one iron chest plate?