• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion HeroFactions - Basic Heroes and Factions Server.

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
Think less combat bard, more ooc bard.
In DnD I always play OOC Bard, it's fun for me and my group appreciates it.
I can make near any saving throw for any skill.
And provide helpful support via Cantrips and the occasional Cure Minor Wounds.

How I mean this with Herocraft:
I'd rather see 3-4 Servers (Creative, Live, RPG, incoming Factions) all have players and function and allow people to enjoy different playstyles, while still being able to stay on HC, and easily transition between playstyles, over having one stagnant Survival type. I enjoyed bastion, I did. But I like change, Bastion felt stagnant for me. 90% sure I left because it was always the same people doing the same stuff. Sure, it's not as populous as it once was, but Kainzo and the others working on the changes do so because change is needed. Switch to Bastion-Style won't magically bring back the old numbers. Much has changed, both with HC and those players.

Tl;Dr: Herocraft should do many things, who cares about groups, bastion wasn't all gold, change is good.
It will bring back a lot of numbers, on this map so far all of the factions have come back for a short period of time then leave because it is too complex. Even the vets have been posting on this saying they would, so I do not see where you are getting this from. Everyone wants to come back and play, don't you?

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
It will bring back a lot of numbers, on this map so far all of the factions have come back for a short period of time then leave because it is too complex. Even the vets have been posting on this saying they would, so I do not see where you are getting this from. Everyone wants to come back and play, don't you?
I'm too tired to write a full response, but I can't believe an old system will attract the new blood the server needs to grow and flow.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
Herocraft got old after seeing the same 16 classes every map, you didnt even need to code for new classes. Remove a class, create a new one with existing skills and different names and effects... but apparently that is too hard.

This is just one small thing that could have made things better.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Every map people come back to see if their desires have been answered, so they clearly still care. I will go as far as to say that the PVP community has a much stronger and far more lasting impact on the server. They always at least lurk forums even when the game produces is not what they would play, that's how much they want the server to succeed. I'll have more time to go into details on what I think could help the server later when I get home. Anyone can also pop into teamspeak and we can share our ideas.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
you disagree yet fail to support why you disagree. If you wanna brown nose, be my guest. At least give some reasoning as to why.
I've stated why in the past, but didn't feel like repeating myself at 2am. Sorry I was tired.
It's not a magical fix to go back to bastion. Sure you'll get the old players back, but new ones aren't gonna flow in. Minecraft has changed, survival isn't what's popular. Things like minigames or kitpvp are. Something like Adventure is unique and can draw eyes, hero factions offers a new style of fast paced pvp (No grinding, don't know people are upset, there's always complaints about it).
Bastion was fun, don't get me wrong. It just got stale, like every map eventually does.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
I've stated why in the past, but didn't feel like repeating myself at 2am. Sorry I was tired.
It's not a magical fix to go back to bastion. Sure you'll get the old players back, but new ones aren't gonna flow in. Minecraft has changed, survival isn't what's popular. Things like minigames or kitpvp are. Something like Adventure is unique and can draw eyes, hero factions offers a new style of fast paced pvp (No grinding, don't know people are upset, there's always complaints about it).
Bastion was fun, don't get me wrong. It just got stale, like every map eventually does.
I think you are still failing to realize we don't want exactly Bastion back, but we do want the same feeling. Hero Factions really doesn't offer anything "new" to Minecraft's community because there are multiple servers that have done it, and it would really need to blow them out of the water totally and without a doubt to be a success. Every map doesn't really get stale if you have a satisfied community, with a fairly steady stream of finished new content that they actually care about and want. Did you see how many people were hyped for Shaman when it was introduced? Better yet, Samurai's return? The 2nd was probably the worse of the two considering that the actual class had Berserker skills and placeholders because the actual skills were not finished causing huge disappointment and a little frustration.

In some cases going backwards will move you forwards. The feeling of PvP on Bastion is what we want, to not care about the items we lose because we can easily get them back but still care about winning or losing a fight. We do not care so much about the quests and their rewards unless it's pvp based, in our eyes mobs are just there to get us to the level where we can start killing people. With all honesty I don't think that mythic mobs are a bad idea, except they make it nearly impossible to level solo for a decent return other than the item drops (which both the drops and the craftable items are extremely overpowered). The xp that I gain as a necro killing one mob really just isn't worth it, it drains ALL of my mana to even get it to half. Now onto the part that may be the most controversial... attributes, I don't hate them but then again they are not my favorite. They make balancing classes a nightmare even though it's already not the easiest job. They also make new players kinda screw themselves over half the time if they don't know what they are doing.

Adventure may draw eyes, but there are servers that offer similar things dumbed down a bit. Wasn't there also supposed to be a HC minigames server too? KitPvP btw was basically what test was used for in the past and everyone seemed to have fun on it.

bradleyley

Glowing Redstone
The only way PvP can get better is if new players are actually enticed to try it. Currently there is a core group of PvPers that are dominant and maintain small cliques, this limits new players to joining groups who are only as skilled as them in PvP (not very). Most new players will not have the patience to learn such a complicated system and when the only other people looking for fights are these top tier players, they are going to be outskilled, outgeared, and generally outmatched.

I feel like a solution is for the cliques to split up start smaller town and take in new players and teach them the ropes to PvP. This will encourage PvP. encourage new players to stay and create a better environment that could involve pitting your towns best level X against town Y's best level X player. As well as leading towards a larger player base it means that it gives new players a chance to experience Pvp against someone who is at an equal standing.

BunnyTang

Coal
In my opinion over the past maps the quality of HeroCraft has gone down severely. This reduction in quality has to do with a few major changes that have happened since I have started playing on your server. These changes are as follows:

• Tier 2/Legendary Classes
• New leveling systems/Amount of exp needed to master
• Item Drops/Custom Crafting
• Conquest Points (Needs Revisions)
• Death Drops
• Staff

The few items listed above are things that have not only had a severe impact on the server population but, have also had a role in discouraging old players to come and play on new maps. Below I will continue to elaborate on each individual points made above.

1. Tier 2/Legendary Classes:
On paper it is a great idea, to reward players with a new skill and extra attribute points for the time and effort they put into their classes. However, the players that have been playing since Dragon Guard do not want to re-level a Tier 2/Legendary class after doing it the previous map. That opinion however, is not shared by the entire community some people do enjoy leveling classes, in order to get an extra skill and attribute points. The point being though that the people that I used to play with, did not like the leveling tier 2 classes or legendary's. They believed it made PvP unbalanced, which it does. Realistically this server is not an RPG server it is a PvP server. Once enormous factions such as the Freepers, Treepers, Umbra, Legion of Oblivion, and Indar came about for their sole love of the people they played with and the PvP on the server. Now, to make PvP unbalanced by adding in Tier 2's, Legendary's, Custom Crafting, and OP Armor is what caused these once enormous factions to become inactive. Granted these factions still exist but, the amount of people in them have greatly decreased due to this unbalance in PvP caused by Tier 2/Legendary classes.

2. New leveling systems/Amount of exp needed to master:
I understand the concept of heavens gate and dungeons, both were meant to boost the efficiency of leveling while reducing lag. However, this led to people bringing PvP into the dungeons and camping the people were leveling. Ultimately this led to the slow leveling and occasional rage quitting of "noobs." The old concept of going into a cave, or flattening out a swamp for the mobs to spawn, led to various places in the map were people could level and reduced deaths from PvP while players were leveling. The amount of exp needed to master a class sky rocketed with the latest patch were level 60's were rolled back to 50. After level 50 it is nearly impossible to level without a boost. As I previously stated the people that used to be active on this server wanted PvP, and if it is going to take 2 weeks of leveling to master a class they want to play, they are less inclined to actually play. If the intent of raising the exp was to push people to buy boost to level their classes, you are going about it the wrong way. From customer to business owner, you are running a business and their is a need to make a profit at doing so. Instead of raising the exp needed so that people would buy boost to level, a smarter way of approaching it is to, lower the costs of boosts, and have the maps reset every 2-3 months. This way levels will reset and people will buy more boosts in order to level the classes they want to play.

3. Item Drops/Custom Crafting:
This issue is the same as the first. dropping prot 3 armor, and being able to craft weapons with potion effects causes PvP to be unbalanced. Which in return causes players to leave. It is understood you are trying to push new ideas to keep the server entertaining and fun. However, it is doing the exact opposite of your intentions. Making PvP unbalanced with the use of these weapons only drives people away, your time and effort would be much better used in creating new tier 1 classes. [DELETED] did a great job of that, they got rid of their 4 tier system and moved everything to tier 1 classes with 8 or 9 classes for the 4 groups of hero's they had. This made PvP more fun and versatile. However, classes from [DELETED] were highly unbalanced, from the 3 hero server I've played on HeroCraft has had the most fluid and balanced classes.

4. Conquest Points(Revisions):
Conquest points are a great idea for raising PvP but, they are managed horribly wrong. A conquest point should be held once a week on a Friday or Saturday evening (when most players are on.) Additionally giving three gold, some exp, 3 gold, and little money should not be a reward for an event that goes on only once a week. A "Conquest Crate Key"(explained below) is the appropriate prize for controlling a conquest point. There is to be 4 different conquest points, in the 4 different quadrants of the map, and only one of them is to be active for the conquest event. A party would go over there and try to cap the point, if another party is to show up the point would go on freeze continue if the second party is eliminated or restart if the second party is victorious. Only the party leader would receive a key for a "Conquest Crate" that would have either ores, or pieces of fairly good armor (Featherfalling IV DepthStrider III) which would be the party leaders responsibility for disturbing it among the members.

5. Death Drops:
This point is fairly short. When I go out to PvP I am going out not only looking to get the ELO, I also am aiming on getting the opponents gear. When they keep their armor and weapon it defeats the purpose of PvPing and therefore reduced the overall PvP in the server. EVERYTHING should drop on death.

6. Staff:
This is not a rant on the performance of your staff. This is simply just a point to their activity in creating a fun and engaging community for your players to participate. Things such as weekly videos, monthly tournaments, player engagement, etc. should be happening actively within the community to keep it alive.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just the general broad thing of what I am saying here, keep it simple. There is no need for this new leveling system, custom crafting, or item drops. HeroCraft was great the way it was before, when things were just black and white, easy to understand. I encourage you to go look at these two faction servers, [DELETED], [DELETED]. They both have highly active communities and both do minimal to nothing on providing something "new." It is the frequent map resets and fresh starts that have kept those two servers populated for a long time. Historically HeroCraft spawns have been magnificent, but they really don't need to be all that. All there needs to be is a semi-decent looking building that has a "Trade District"/"Nexus" and has a non-building space between wilderness and spawn. Taking all of what I have written above into account I truly do believe you can once again repopulate HeroCraft. It will take time but, with correct community management, and marketing players should start joining again.

- SpikesLoL

Last edited by a moderator:

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
I want to wrap this page up, it is going far way too far out. Majority of the community seems to agree with my judgement on how the factions should be laid out. All of the PvPers that have been around since Bastion like the idea. The few people that disagree with the idea are people that do not traditionally PvP. WE KNOW WHAT WE WANT. You have taken the PvErs ideas in the past for PvP decisions and it hasn't helped the server out. Since this is server is factions, which is all PvP, would it not make sense to listen to the people that are constantly enjoying and experiencing the Heroes PvP? I leave you with this, if you want Factions to succeed listen to the community. @Kainzo

Piptendo

The Trade Prince
Staff member
Max Legacy Supporter
I want to wrap this page up, it is going far way too far out. Majority of the community seems to agree with my judgement on how the factions should be laid out. All of the PvPers that have been around since Bastion like the idea. The few people that disagree with the idea are people that do not traditionally PvP. WE KNOW WHAT WE WANT. You have taken the PvErs ideas in the past for PvP decisions and it hasn't helped the server out. Since this is server is factions, which is all PvP, would it not make sense to listen to the people that are constantly enjoying and experiencing the Heroes PvP? I leave you with this, if you want Factions to succeed listen to the community. @Kainzo

Honestly, I have to agree with Munch. It seems as if a lot of changes to PvP over the past few maps have been made because of PvErs complaining about having their items stolen, or being ganked in dungeons, or any other trivial PvE excuse. PvPers know PvP best. They know what they want, they know what should happen to create an enjoyable experience. Going at it with a "they can be happy with what they have" mindset will only deteriorate this already crumbling community. My activity in Survival/RPG has already diminished, and I would like to give Factions a try upon launch.

DJAlphaWolf

Legacy Supporter 6
Agreed. You need to listen to PVPers about how the future of PVP on Factions should be. A lot of PVPers have seen the rise and fall of pvp on the server. They know what PVP at it's peak was. There needs to be a form of trust from these players that they know what they want. This is probably one of the few sentiments that strike a cord with me from this thread.

Last edited:

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
A smaller map is better as well 2.5k by 2.5k with a seperate map that comes later which can be used to mine on.

@BunnyTang dem HCF vibes

In my opinion over the past maps the quality of HeroCraft has gone down severely. This reduction in quality has to do with a few major changes that have happened since I have started playing on your server. These changes are as follows:

• Tier 2/Legendary Classes
• New leveling systems/Amount of exp needed to master
• Item Drops/Custom Crafting
• Conquest Points (Needs Revisions)
• Death Drops
• Staff

The few items listed above are things that have not only had a severe impact on the server population but, have also had a role in discouraging old players to come and play on new maps. Below I will continue to elaborate on each individual points made above.

1. Tier 2/Legendary Classes:
On paper it is a great idea, to reward players with a new skill and extra attribute points for the time and effort they put into their classes. However, the players that have been playing since Dragon Guard do not want to re-level a Tier 2/Legendary class after doing it the previous map. That opinion however, is not shared by the entire community some people do enjoy leveling classes, in order to get an extra skill and attribute points. The point being though that the people that I used to play with, did not like the leveling tier 2 classes or legendary's. They believed it made PvP unbalanced, which it does. Realistically this server is not an RPG server it is a PvP server. Once enormous factions such as the Freepers, Treepers, Umbra, Legion of Oblivion, and Indar came about for their sole love of the people they played with and the PvP on the server. Now, to make PvP unbalanced by adding in Tier 2's, Legendary's, Custom Crafting, and OP Armor is what caused these once enormous factions to become inactive. Granted these factions still exist but, the amount of people in them have greatly decreased due to this unbalance in PvP caused by Tier 2/Legendary classes.

2. New leveling systems/Amount of exp needed to master:
I understand the concept of heavens gate and dungeons, both were meant to boost the efficiency of leveling while reducing lag. However, this led to people bringing PvP into the dungeons and camping the people were leveling. Ultimately this led to the slow leveling and occasional rage quitting of "noobs." The old concept of going into a cave, or flattening out a swamp for the mobs to spawn, led to various places in the map were people could level and reduced deaths from PvP while players were leveling. The amount of exp needed to master a class sky rocketed with the latest patch were level 60's were rolled back to 50. After level 50 it is nearly impossible to level without a boost. As I previously stated the people that used to be active on this server wanted PvP, and if it is going to take 2 weeks of leveling to master a class they want to play, they are less inclined to actually play. If the intent of raising the exp was to push people to buy boost to level their classes, you are going about it the wrong way. From customer to business owner, you are running a business and their is a need to make a profit at doing so. Instead of raising the exp needed so that people would buy boost to level, a smarter way of approaching it is to, lower the costs of boosts, and have the maps reset every 2-3 months. This way levels will reset and people will buy more boosts in order to level the classes they want to play.

3. Item Drops/Custom Crafting:
This issue is the same as the first. dropping prot 3 armor, and being able to craft weapons with potion effects causes PvP to be unbalanced. Which in return causes players to leave. It is understood you are trying to push new ideas to keep the server entertaining and fun. However, it is doing the exact opposite of your intentions. Making PvP unbalanced with the use of these weapons only drives people away, your time and effort would be much better used in creating new tier 1 classes. A'thery's did a great job of that, they got rid of their 4 tier system and moved everything to tier 1 classes with 8 or 9 classes for the 4 groups of hero's they had. This made PvP more fun and versatile. However, classes from Athery's were highly unbalanced, from the 3 hero server I've played on HeroCraft has had the most fluid and balanced classes.

4. Conquest Points(Revisions):
Conquest points are a great idea for raising PvP but, they are managed horribly wrong. A conquest point should be held once a week on a Friday or Saturday evening (when most players are on.) Additionally giving three gold, some exp, 3 gold, and little money should not be a reward for an event that goes on only once a week. A "Conquest Crate Key"(explained below) is the appropriate prize for controlling a conquest point. There is to be 4 different conquest points, in the 4 different quadrants of the map, and only one of them is to be active for the conquest event. A party would go over there and try to cap the point, if another party is to show up the point would go on freeze continue if the second party is eliminated or restart if the second party is victorious. Only the party leader would receive a key for a "Conquest Crate" that would have either ores, or pieces of fairly good armor (Featherfalling IV DepthStrider III) which would be the party leaders responsibility for disturbing it among the members.

5. Death Drops:
This point is fairly short. When I go out to PvP I am going out not only looking to get the ELO, I also am aiming on getting the opponents gear. When they keep their armor and weapon it defeats the purpose of PvPing and therefore reduced the overall PvP in the server. EVERYTHING should drop on death.

6. Staff:
This is not a rant on the performance of your staff. This is simply just a point to their activity in creating a fun and engaging community for your players to participate. Things such as weekly videos, monthly tournaments, player engagement, etc. should be happening actively within the community to keep it alive.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just the general broad thing of what I am saying here, keep it simple. There is no need for this new leveling system, custom crafting, or item drops. HeroCraft was great the way it was before, when things were just black and white, easy to understand. I encourage you to go look at these two faction servers, kohi.us, hcteams.com. They both have highly active communities and both do minimal to nothing on providing something "new." It is the frequent map resets and fresh starts that have kept those two servers populated for a long time. Historically HeroCraft spawns have been magnificent, but they really don't need to be all that. All there needs to be is a semi-decent looking building that has a "Trade District"/"Nexus" and has a non-building space between wilderness and spawn. Taking all of what I have written above into account I truly do believe you can once again repopulate HeroCraft. It will take time but, with correct community management, and marketing players should start joining again.

- SpikesLoL
I do agree with most of this, except for a few points.

Leveling:
I think that the dungeons do add a certain value to leveling that makes it less grind-y, but as it is now no matter how beautiful a place is made you are still grinding for hours. Basically it boils down to where you would rather level, a flat, boring swamp or an intricate dungeon. Sure, your leveling will be slower in the dungeon since you need a few minutes to work your way through it instead of killing one thing and jumping to the next, but it still has value.

Resets:
You briefly mentioned this. 2-3 months is not much time to really establish yourself on a map. When you get that rapid-fire mentality it is difficult to get invested in a server fully. No one would even attempt to build anything massive since it would just disappear shortly afterwards. Make it more like 7-8 months, instead of a year per map. I understand that this system works for servers that are literally nothing but PvP, but Herocraft goes deeper than just PvP so that system would not work as well for the current direction of the server.

Death Drops:
I agree that death chests should be less forgiving, but not make them disappear entirely. When you lose all of your items when you die that also discourages PvP since most people are too afraid to lose everything. Instead, I would suggest needing a chest and sign on your person, and death chests will not drop in the water. Then they last for 5-6 minutes before breaking.

Spawn:
Nothing wrong with having a nice spawn. Can look nice and be functional. If architects want to spend time on it let them.

Lordofon

Glowing Redstone
so ehhh, when do we make the change to the alpha male superior factions eh? this is pretty cool dood

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
I do agree with most of this, except for a few points.

Leveling:
I think that the dungeons do add a certain value to leveling that makes it less grind-y, but as it is now no matter how beautiful a place is made you are still grinding for hours. Basically it boils down to where you would rather level, a flat, boring swamp or an intricate dungeon. Sure, your leveling will be slower in the dungeon since you need a few minutes to work your way through it instead of killing one thing and jumping to the next, but it still has value.

Resets:
You briefly mentioned this. 2-3 months is not much time to really establish yourself on a map. When you get that rapid-fire mentality it is difficult to get invested in a server fully. No one would even attempt to build anything massive since it would just disappear shortly afterwards. Make it more like 7-8 months, instead of a year per map. I understand that this system works for servers that are literally nothing but PvP, but Herocraft goes deeper than just PvP so that system would not work as well for the current direction of the server.

Death Drops:
I agree that death chests should be less forgiving, but not make them disappear entirely. When you lose all of your items when you die that also discourages PvP since most people are too afraid to lose everything. Instead, I would suggest needing a chest and sign on your person, and death chests will not drop in the water. Then they last for 5-6 minutes before breaking.

Spawn:
Nothing wrong with having a nice spawn. Can look nice and be functional. If architects want to spend time on it let them.
Without dungeons being made the architect team or money used to pay a builder could be put to other uses, swamps worked fine for years before these fancy dungeons.

A faction server wouldn't be going in the same direction as survival is, which is kinda the point. After Munch, Faze, Myself and a few others talked to Kainzo today we were brought up all of our main concerns with how it could end up again like Aegis with the server being split. However then there were a few issues that we shouldn't have, Kainzo said he only intended for currency to transfer. That means no more hopping onto pve to go mining but you can still progress to a goal no matter what server you are on. Pretty much Aegis tried to cater to both sides while at the same time killing them, so many things that pvpers didn't want were kept in an effort to bring people from pve over, and pve for a time had reduced leveling to again encourage people to go to the other server, but what is really the point in having a server that just encourages people to move on to a different one?

Items need to drop on death. For one it will reduce camping, you don't know how many times even today we got some kills just because the guy kept running back for that death chest. That's not fun pvp and it just makes the killers wait for their loot with pretty much nothing to do. The victim very rarely gets their items back so I don't really understand why it was ever a thing. We had also talked about all these new custom items... but I can save that for later when I have time to type it up.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Also just got reminded of this while in ts... but #BringBackKarma2016

Without dungeons being made the architect team or money used to pay a builder could be put to other uses, swamps worked fine for years before these fancy dungeons.

A faction server wouldn't be going in the same direction as survival is, which is kinda the point. After Munch, Faze, Myself and a few others talked to Kainzo today we were brought up all of our main concerns with how it could end up again like Aegis with the server being split. However then there were a few issues that we shouldn't have, Kainzo said he only intended for currency to transfer. That means no more hopping onto pve to go mining but you can still progress to a goal no matter what server you are on. Pretty much Aegis tried to cater to both sides while at the same time killing them, so many things that pvpers didn't want were kept in an effort to bring people from pve over, and pve for a time had reduced leveling to again encourage people to go to the other server, but what is really the point in having a server that just encourages people to move on to a different one?

Items need to drop on death. For one it will reduce camping, you don't know how many times even today we got some kills just because the guy kept running back for that death chest. That's not fun pvp and it just makes the killers wait for their loot with pretty much nothing to do. The victim very rarely gets their items back so I don't really understand why it was ever a thing. We had also talked about all these new custom items... but I can save that for later when I have time to type it up.
With the current system, it is not viable to have full on death drops. If custom crafting is kept it would be a huge discouragement for anyone but the absolute best PvPers to use custom crafting gear given how expensive it is.

If, however, custom crafting were to end up being removed (which really would be a shame after all the time spent working on it), I can understand losing all gear provided class gear restrictions and easy access to resources.

My only issue is that I cannot tell if you all are suggesting things that you want to see on the server you want to play on (survival), or if you are suggesting things for the factions server, which is supposed to appeal to a different audience other than the people that currently play on survival.