• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Conquest - World PVP Objectives - Design Doc

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
I think that the capture spot (going to call it the command post of the zone) would have to be in an easily accessed room, so people cant just camp the only door into it. it'd have to have multiple entrances and the team would have to be standing on it and in a party.

the rate of capture should be at a percentage of party on the command post, IE, one person walks in, he has normal 100% capture rate, but because he's one person, he's going to get pwned. now AD walks in with 20 people, each person accounts for 5% of the capture rate in the party, that way you cant just have one person stand on it while the other 19 walk around, but we also dont want the timer to reset by leaving the command post.

the reward distibution should be done automatically, and that 100s reward for 5 mins would have to be distributed evenly among party members, or we'd get AD walkin in with 20 people, hold it easily for 5 mins, and BAM 2000s just flooded into the server.

as said previously, if another team walks in, the timer stops, doesnt get reset until one team leaves the command post, which if the team that had it previously is still there afterwards, the timer continues.

could we use the castle in spawn as a/the pvp objective? it serves little use currently and would be a badass pvp spot. also people loved the spawn pvp rings from DG, this would be similiar. I'm with dak on the 24/7 thing, and with eldry on the longer reward timer. 15 minutes should be plenty long control for 1 tick, and it would be a challenge, as spawn is easily accessable, as is materials for pvp in the TD, giving merchants more money (if they have good deals.

(not hating on you AD, just using u as example because you have so many people)

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I think that the capture spot (going to call it the command post of the zone) would have to be in an easily accessed room, so people cant just camp the only door into it. it'd have to have multiple entrances and the team would have to be standing on it and in a party.
I agree that there should multiple entrances. I also agree it should take longer for the same person/group to capture it in a row. I also believe though that home field should have some advantage, albeit small. Perhaps gates that remain locked to all but the holders until 20ish minutes before it goes vulnerable? or even better, defensive towers that are only easily accessible to the defenders?

the rate of capture should be at a percentage of party on the command post, IE, one person walks in, he has normal 100% capture rate, but because he's one person, he's going to get pwned. now AD walks in with 20 people, each person accounts for 5% of the capture rate in the party, that way you cant just have one person stand on it while the other 19 walk around, but we also dont want the timer to reset by leaving the command post.
I actually don't agree with you at all, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I have the numbers at this moment. All capture rates should be at the same time. These are PVP objectives and should not be tailored to the single player. Single players have track and gank already, where as groups tend to have a hard time finding the competition. I also disagree that the timer should remain on for any time other then a couple seconds of being off the command point. As I suggested in my POST I certainly agree that we need both small 1-5 person targets and larger 10-20 person targets, if we have to choose it's the larger PVP oriented groups that are missing their much needed content.

the reward distibution should be done automatically, and that 100s reward for 5 mins would have to be distributed evenly among party members, or we'd get AD walkin in with 20 people, hold it easily for 5 mins, and BAM 2000s just flooded into the server.
As I stated already, I believe that any direct reward is very bad, and can rarely be properly balanced.

as said previously, if another team walks in, the timer stops, doesnt get reset until one team leaves the command post, which if the team that had it previously is still there afterwards, the timer continues.
I agree that any constant control point is detrimental, but I don't think I said why.
@Kainzo
With a constant battle it will burn players on on a task. This is what is happening in ESO this very moment. GroupB captures Castle1 then heads over to Castle3 and starts to siege. As soon as GroupB starts sieging Castle3, GroupA sieges Castle1 again and takes it back at about the same time as GroupB takes Castle3. Although this is fun at the start, it quickly gets repetitive and tedious to try and non stop guard a resource.
With constant battles, no more then one control point can be made, because as soon as you create a second one, there is all of a sudden not a reason to fight the other big group. Let them have theirs and you can have yours thus destroying a lot of the PVP that could have been created.
I am sure there is more that will come up but that's a starting point off the top of my head.

could we use the castle in spawn as a/the pvp objective? it serves little use currently and would be a badass pvp spot. also people loved the spawn pvp rings from DG, this would be similiar. I'm with dak on the 24/7 thing, and with eldry on the longer reward timer. 15 minutes should be plenty long control for 1 tick, and it would be a challenge, as spawn is easily accessable, as is materials for pvp in the TD, giving merchants more money (if they have good deals.
I could see this as a final end game goal. It should be on a longer timer with larger rewards. I would urge though that this would be a master goal that should be implemented after PVP is revived and there is good competition all around the map.

(not hating on you AD, just using u as example because you have so many people)
Honestly, thanks for the clarification.

Kankardan

TNT
In addition to the exp reward I think the town should receive some type of reward as well but not tangible in the way that the players benefit....

For instance if lvl 1-2-3 is obtained the 1 hour timer perhaps add a soul donation to the town to help them work towards the next tier. This way it also benefits everyone to participate as it could work them into obtaining hamlet to town to city to eventually kingdom if desired.

Just a thought let me know what you think.

Kank

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
@Kainzo I would not suggest any direct instant gains such as +XP or +Souls, I would also suggest not making these constant or on a exact timer.

I would suggest two types of control points that would be very similar code, to benefit all types of PVP players on the server.

For large control points I would suggest four different ones which provide a passive buff to a Township - Courage(Combat XP), Wisdom(Crafting XP), Wealth(Souls), and Brawn(Rare item boost). These would be small keeps/castle/structures that are defensible to the holding Township, regioned and possibly even have doors and switches that are setup to only function with the holding Township.
  • These should not give a direct gain but a bonus % while being controlled. For instance, holding the Courage control point your township gains +10% xp gains from all combat actions while under control. While holding the Wealth control point your township gains +10% boost to soul drop chances...
  • These control points should in my opinion and experience have a random timer between 4-8 hours that they become vulnerable. This timer will restart as soon as the control point is captured and be announced both when captured as well as 30 minutes before it becomes vulnerable. The previous owners of the control point can retake it, but it should take twice as long for them to capture the point for a second time in a row, to give a better chance the the raiding parties. When the timer is up, the controlling Township still maintains the buffs until another Township captures the control point.
  • These control points should be very far apart, somewhere between the two sets of hero gates in each quadrant
Working along similar lines I would also suggest separate small control points which would be designed for individuals all the way up to Townships.
  • These will work as automated mines, and shops. They will spawn items at random intervals which anyone can take. Examples would be an "Ore mine" will spawn Iron, Diamond, Emerald and Coal every 30-150 minutes. A "Trading Post" would spawn soul shards of various sizes and Quartz. The "Smithy" will spawn a random rare drop. The longer the timer runs the better the delivery.
  • The owning Township will get 30 minute and 10 minute warning on item deliveries so they can have the advantage of knowing when a "shipment" is ready, but anyone can loot the shipment.
  • The control points would become claimable every 3-6 hours. The current Township will retain ownership until another Township successfully claims the control point. It takes twice as long to claim the same control point if you already control it. This timer will restart as soon as the control point is captured and be announced both when captured as well as 30 minutes before it becomes vulnerable.
  • I would think that 4 of these should also exist in the world. To many and it spreads out the PVP to much
This is a good idea, I personaly think dirrectly giving souls was a bad idea, this is an awesome solution :D

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
In addition to the exp reward I think the town should receive some type of reward as well but not tangible in the way that the players benefit....

For instance if lvl 1-2-3 is obtained the 1 hour timer perhaps add a soul donation to the town to help them work towards the next tier. This way it also benefits everyone to participate as it could work them into obtaining hamlet to town to city to eventually kingdom if desired.

Just a thought let me know what you think.

Kank
We're going to base it off groups and not integrate it with the township system. This will ensure towns cant just all sit there and get rewarded.

De_eggs

Stone
I just have something to add that was written above about the townships in my opinion the town that the party belongs to should gain money by the players conquering ( some money goes into town bank) this would allow the town to benefit but not directly affect the player

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Just letting you guys know, Conquest PVP Objectives are on test - @Ampayne2 and @greatman321 are the devs behind this and will be looking for users to test with to make sure the basic logic is correct.

The prizes/rewards and exact timers are not done yet. I believe we will have one or two outposts "always" running as capturable - with a "large" one at spawn going every 6-8 hrs.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
Just letting you guys know, Conquest PVP Objectives are on test - @Ampayne2 and @greatman321 are the devs behind this and will be looking for users to test with to make sure the basic logic is correct.

The prizes/rewards and exact timers are not done yet. I believe we will have one or two outposts "always" running as capturable - with a "large" one at spawn going every 6-8 hrs.
I have a feeling the "always" running points will bring a ton of pvp.

Halizu

ICE ICE ICE!
I don't suppose there are any updates on the status of this? (Just anxious to see it implemented :D)