• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Bible/come to Jesus

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Ok, on topic, I'm going to ask a bit.

In modern day society, 'to believe something is to see it' is the common mentality. You're saying that God chooses people to experience a bond/connection, and leaves the others in the dark? I've never felt a bond between myself and anything paranormal/godly, but others get to have this connection? Seems like God just chucks us under the bus and chooses people to believe in Him.
Not quite. I'm saying that those who come to Him are given that bond. And it's not like this overt mental tugging one way or the other, it's really pretty easy to ignore most of the time. The Holy Spirit is most obvious in retrospect.

TheMrLief

Legacy Supporter 7
Oh yeah, I'd like to point out that nowadays hell isn't depicted as a place of eternal damnation or eternally burning. The church now states that it is separation from god which is kinda like the athiest's afterlife, nothing.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
I'll share with Holy some in your stead:

This is how I see it: trying to explain God in terms of an atheistic worldview is tough. A lot of God's present-day proof is mainly internal and personal. I know He exists because I've felt that bond. The Spirit in me and in others. You can argue physical proofs all the live long day and nobody is going to change their opinions, but I've found God keeps His promises to me as described in the Bible. Thereby I assume that if Biblical promises are fulfilled for me, two millennia after the fact, then Biblical promises could have been just as fulfilled for those who were involved in those stories.

Those who seek out physical proof are sort of missing the point, I think. While I understand the desire for that, it sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing. Those who believe do just that- they believe in God and Jesus Christ without need of proof or fact- for whatever reasons they may have. From what I understand of it, God wants faith- hell, the religion's based around having faith, and if you had proof, well, there'd be no need for that, which defeats the purpose.

In my life, I've seen terrible things, and I've seen wonderful things. I've seen things that were stranger than fiction and to this day, the way some things have worked out still amaze me. While I'm sure a great many of these things can be chalked up to coincidence or be scientifically explained, I just have this feeling- every once in a while, where that connection that Daz mentions seems to manifest itself- and in that feeling, I find my faith. These are not things I can show or prove to others, there are no empirical facts- it's just faith, it's hope, and it's trust, which is what God wants (as far as I know, I make no claims to understanding the infinitely complex machinations of the almighty.)

Now, what I do say to most atheists I discuss this with, is that there's a great deal of things within the Bible I don't agree with, and the same goes for a great many things that have been wrongly done in the name of Jesus. That being said, I think we could all benefit from following the example of Jesus himself- that of love, forgiveness, outreach to those who need it, charity, humility... many a fine traits that these days seem lacking. Whether or not he was the son of God, I'll always believe he was a truly great person, and I'll strive to be more like him, in that regard.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
Ok, on topic, I'm going to ask a bit.

In modern day society, 'to believe something is to see it' is the common mentality. You're saying that God chooses people to experience a bond/connection, and leaves the others in the dark? I've never felt a bond between myself and anything paranormal/godly, but others get to have this connection? Seems like God just chucks us under the bus and chooses people to believe in Him.
Many christian views differ on this subject but as for what I've learned is that we all deserve damnation, but God has offered a way of redemption to some. Repeatingly in the bible it states that most will not go to. Heaven, only the ones whose names have been written in the book of life. We all diserve hell so it's out of pure grace that he would save a few as for your personal relationship with god You may have not been called yet but you may be at any time for it doesn't matter if its on your last breath you accept Jesus you will go to heavan

TheMrLief

Legacy Supporter 7
Many christian views differ on this subject but as for what I've learned is that we all deserve damnation, but God has offered a way of redemption to some. Repeatingly in the bible it states that most will not go to. Heaven, only the ones whose names have been written in the book of life. We all diserve hell so it's out of pure grace that he would save a few as for your personal relationship with god You may have not been called yet but you may be at any time for it doesn't matter if its on your last breath you accept Jesus you will go to heavan
When he says "If it's on your last breath you accept Jesus you will go to heaven " this means you actually have to believe and you can't just BS the words and still get accepted into Heaven.

TheMrLief

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't know where your getting your info but it is wrong
Theology Class, Catholic point of view, people who actually have degrees in this stuff.
Obviously belief's can differ from person to person, and from Protestants to Catholics as well.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Theology Class, Catholic point of view, people who actually have degrees in this stuff.
Obviously belief's can differ from person to person, and from Protestants to Catholics as well.

"Christianity" is rather wide and varied- especially when you consider all the divisions within it (Catholic vs. Protestant, then all the divisions within protestantism itself...) You're bound to get a few conflicting views within them. Catholicism in particular can be a little strange, since the Pope can decree things that change interpretations- in fact, I believe the latest pope said there is no purgatory. So, things can get a little muddled- but generally, that's just nitpicking while ignoring the larger details/overall point.

TheMrLief

Legacy Supporter 7
"Christianity" is rather wide and varied- especially when you consider all the divisions within it (Catholic vs. Protestant, then all the divisions within protestantism itself...) You're bound to get a few conflicting views within them. Catholicism in particular can be a little strange, since the Pope can decree things that change interpretations- in fact, I believe the latest pope said there is no purgatory. So, things can get a little muddled- but generally, that's just nitpicking while ignoring the larger details/overall point.
Yea, it seems that Catholic Church changes their views and interpretations quite often.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
"Be a better person" is the overall view of religion.

Summed up via penny arcade:

jesus_says-tshirt.jpg

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
This isn't about being a better person its about a personal relationship with God and Jesus for that is what being a true Christian is and along with that The Lord will slowly change you and make you a better person
Couldn't go to sleep the fire of The Lord is burning in my heart tonight and as for y'all trying to sum up Christianity here's atheism summed up

the belief that there was Nothing and Nothing happened to Nothing and then Nothing magically exploded for No reason , creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for No reason what so ever into self –replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs
Makes perfect sense isnt it ?

RaepSoda

Iron
This isn't about being a better person its about a personal relationship with God and Jesus for that is what being a true Christian is and along with that The Lord will slowly change you and make you a better person
Couldn't go to sleep the fire of The Lord is burning in my heart tonight

Have you ever asked yourself if maybe you're not actually "feeling the fire of The Lord"? But in reality you're just tricking yourself into believing you are. Because you are afraid. Afraid of God. Afraid of what happens if you don't believe in God. Afraid of death. Afraid of damnation. Afraid of what your parents will say if you don't believe. Afraid of not fitting in with your family, friends, community.

Do yourself a favor. Question everything.

And that's all I have to say.;)

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
Have you ever asked yourself if maybe you're not actually "feeling the fire of The Lord"? But in reality you're just tricking yourself into believing you are. Because you are afraid. Afraid of God. Afraid of what happens if you don't believe in God. Afraid of death. Afraid of damnation. Afraid of what your parents will say if you don't believe. Afraid of not fitting in with your family, friends, community.

Actually all my friends claim to be Christians but dont play the part , and to fear The Lord is the beginning of knowledge of him maybe you question everything because you're afraid of not understanding things when in reality there's just some things you can't understand

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
It has begun. From what I've heard in Theology class people who never come in contact with the religion will be saved.
Theology class isn't the greatest place to learn about Christianity, I hear. But this is an interesting subject.

I don't have a concrete opinion on this one. In the first place, I trust God to be fair. In the second, the worst thing one person can do is to keep others from being saved. It's within our power, Jesus accused the Jewish leaders of it, and we will give an account for that. In the third place the worst thing Christians can do is fail to spread the gospel around. On the other hand, there's a lot of mission work going on worldwide, and African nations in particular seem to be a point of focus. Back on the one hand I worry that some of it is dishonest. On both hands, God'll judge.

"Be a better person" is the overall view of religion.
I would say that "Be a better person" is a very vague and basic goal of religion. Christianity in particular says "Be a better person, and here's why."

I'll volunteer myself as evidence that you can question everything and end up on the Invisible Sky Wizard side of the fence.

(and at this juncture I'll pull the bed card for the evening, g'night to all and stay classy)

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Why are like 99% of the kids at my school baptised as baby while i'm not? (Why would parents try taking such a major decision for their child before the child is able to agree or disagree with it? I was given a choice)

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5
it's hard to believe in something you just don't believe in. I don't choose to not believe in god. I just don't. much like you feel god has called upon you and the decision is obvious, not believing in god is just as natural to me

Eckhart_

TNT
Why are like 99% of the kids at my school baptised as baby while i'm not? (Why would parents try taking such a major decision for their child before the child is able to agree or disagree with it? I was given a choice)

It's the belief that the parents are giving their son/daughter to the Lord, however personally I believe contrary to what most Christian denominations believe of baptism is that it's not the water or the blessing that really counts. It’s choosing to say "Yes I am willing to live for God" and being baptised with the choice of from your own mind. Do you need to be baptised to be saved? Not at all it truly lies within your heart and mind.

Eckhart_

TNT
Well I'm going to be honest. I see no reason to believe in god, but if you could rationally explain why he is real, I'd love to hear it.
I could not find an answer to your question on this fourm.

To find proof of God is like finding mind and soul. It's done your own way and only your own way. It's something that takes faith and time. Is there proof that God exists yes and no, I've seen myself healing of wounds from prayer. I've spoken in tongues myself, however I still from time to time question the reality of God. You have to find your own proof whether someone guides you to see God or God himself guides you is something I do not know.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
Catholics sprinkle as babies and I do not believe this as right. I believe that you should get babtized when The Lord calls you and that its between him and you and him nobody else can make that choice for you and also babtism is symbolic what really matters is what is in your heart