• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Aimedshot Has to Go.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Over the past few days, I have seen countless complaints about the skill AimedShot. Now, why is this?

When the skill was first introduced, it seemed like a wonderful idea. It gave rangers a break from constantly needing to aim their shots. They were able to warmup a skill that allows them to immediately fire an arrow, that will without a doubt hit. The issue is that the skill seems too strong. With a small slow and a low warmup, you can fire off an arrow from any place in the map, piercing your target's armour for nearly 250 damage. 250 damage. That is a LOT of damage. And the fact that it goes through armour? Wow.

So, here we are now. The complaining.
"Aimedshot op guys, need nerf."
So, here's my solution:

ARROWSTORM!
As many older players know, Arrowstorm was an old ranger skill. It would rapid fire 15 arrows for you automatically, dealing full arrow damage for each one. A ranger with decent aim could kill any class. Within 10 seconds, a ranger could deal 2000 damage. Now, I am not saying that it be returned to that state. The idea I have is to create a skill that requires some, but not too much skill to use. So, here we go.

Arrowstorm
Level 40
7 stamina, 120 mana
Description: With rapid force, you fire out 10 arrows, with each arrow dealing a base 15 damage(+0.25 per point of agility).

So, how does this fix the problem?
Having this nerfed arrowstorm fixes a few problems with Aimedshot:
1. The range; Aimedshot could be used from over 30 blocks away.
2. The damage; Having high amounts of agility will bring you relatively close to the damage of Aimedshot.
3. The skill involved; You need to aim this now. So, if you can hit all the arrows, you can do good damage, but if you don't you can do decent damage.

I hope you guys like my suggestion, and if you don't; please tell me why!

Thanks,
Pew

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
Aimed shot is rangers crack if you take it away they will cry and it will increase the already millions of complaints about lag with arrows. Instead of taking it out just nerf it in my opinion.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Aimed shot is rangers crack if you take it away they will cry and it will increase the already millions of complaints about lag with arrows. Instead of taking it out just nerf it in my opinion.
I have been leveling up ranger the past few days, and I have had few problems with lag. While yes, sometimes the lag hurts; ranger doesn't rely entirely on arrows anymore. It sounds ridiculous, but it is true. Having explosiveshot as an AoE, you don't need to direct hit your target. As well as that, ranger can function as melee for parts of a fight, having maim and kick. Also, if you add a bit into strength, your axe can do well.

greenliketea

A frightening Cactus!
I would say it's fine the way it is. Rangers are a very situation-based class already, I think aimed shot keeps them from being too easy to kill.

If action were to be taken however, I'd say a nerf if anything.

Vermatrax

Wood
In pvp lag effects arrows alot. Pve is an entirely different matter mobs dont juke and run away.

dragonzero39

Legacy Supporter 7
Especially in group combat when a ranger has to fire around his teammates. This makes Aimedshot a great skill for those group pvp situations. I've been a ranger this whole map and my KD ratio is 1.0; Seems pretty balanced to me with 125 kills and 125 pvp deaths.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
I see where all of you are coming from. Ranger is a hard class to master, and doesn't perform fantastic in teamfights. The idea was to give ranger a skill that needed to take skill to use (more skill than aimedshot heh).

koen31

TNT
@PewPewPewLasers Eh, I kinda like this idea. I love skills that distinguish the good from the best. This skill will allow the best rangers to do a lot of damage while people that are not so good to only do a medium amount of damage. While aimed shot required no skill to use. Good thinking imo.

(Sorry to go against the other Freepers on this one, just keeping it real yo.)

Last edited:

Weikauno

Coder
pew's nerfed arrowstorm looks pretty cool, and imo aimedshot is just boring. no challenge to time your arrows like a boss and hit a target when they're moving at any speed.

Nayr1993

Glowing Redstone
Just to point out, you can't use Aimedshot from clear across the map, in fact, its range is relatively short compared to normal arrow fire, and with the warm up time given, most people can catch up to the person using the skill and deal damage before it goes off.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
Just to point out, you can't use Aimedshot from clear across the map, in fact, its range is relatively short compared to normal arrow fire, and with the warm up time given, most people can catch up to the person using the skill and deal damage before it goes off.

Yeah, this. Arrowstorm was a really cool ability, and i'd love to see that or something similar back, simply because it's more fun to use than aimedshot. While the damage and everything on aimed shot is warrented imho, it is just uninteresting. 'Course, I'm not a ranger so my input is probably not super valid, but there's my two cents.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
You know what might also be cool? An ability called "Volley", what this does is it's an aoe targetable like blizzard; this ability causes you to fire a volley of arrows towards the target area, making it rain arrows every second for x seconds. Might be possible considering blizzard was done. What do you guys think?

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
You know what might also be cool? An ability called "Volley", what this does is it's an aoe targetable like blizzard; this ability causes you to fire a volley of arrows towards the target area, making it rain arrows every second for x seconds. Might be possible considering blizzard was done. What do you guys think?
Even though the skill you proposed sounds more like an "arrow storm" than a volley, I like the concept.

OPs "Arrow storm" seems under-powered since it it will only doing [150 dmg +(2.5 agility scaling)] which isn't much more than a single arrow and requires you to hit every single arrow to be effective.

In the case of aimed-shot I guess it's possible for it to be a free-aim skill, but that would require a dmg boost or the lack of the warm-up.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Maybe rangers could have different sets of toggle-able arrows?
-They could have their standard arrows that are just like they are now.
-They could have a serrated arrow that deals initially less damage but applies a bleed dot.
-They could have a "armor-piercing" arrow that does less damage than a standard arrow, but ignores armor.

It would be similar to old-Ranger's "elemental" arrows, but would be more lore-friendly and balanced IMO.

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
I like the idea of swapping out aimed shot for another skill. I do like Keache's idea slightly more as a arrow volley would be useful in group situations also. The damage of arrow volley would have to be a good deal lower then aimed shot but honestly rangers do fine damage with normal bow hits as is.

I have only one problem with the idea of arrow storm, I am not sure if others of you have experienced this but whenever I hit an enemy right as one of my melee buddies hit it my arrow bounces off and does no damage. Wouldn't quite a few of the arrows just bounce off of the enemy while they recoil?

Edit: would each arrow carry the same impact as normal arrows? If so how would this affect punch two bows? I honestly don't know, I would like to hear what others have to say.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I like the idea of swapping out aimed shot for another skill. I do like Keache's idea slightly more as a arrow volley would be useful in group situations also. The damage of arrow volley would have to be a good deal lower then aimed shot but honestly rangers do fine damage with normal bow hits as is.

I have only one problem with the idea of arrow storm, I am not sure if others of you have experienced this but whenever I hit an enemy right as one of my melee buddies hit it my arrow bounces off and does no damage. Wouldn't quite a few of the arrows just bounce off of the enemy while they recoil?

Edit: would each arrow carry the same impact as normal arrows? If so how would this affect punch two bows? I honestly don't know, I would like to hear what others have to say.
In the case of arrows bouncing off the people I believe this can be circumvented.
A while back on test, Delf coded the original multi-shot. It was able to have 12 arrows hit the same target if close enough (Was horribly op since it could result in a "shotgun-effect" dealing 720 dmg.)
It's possible that these arrows could also act the same way.

I think the way that it's coded, these arrows won't be affected by the users bow and rather what ever the damage, amount, and velocity is set as.

Over the past few days, I have seen countless complaints about the skill AimedShot. Now, why is this?

When the skill was first introduced, it seemed like a wonderful idea. It gave rangers a break from constantly needing to aim their shots. They were able to warmup a skill that allows them to immediately fire an arrow, that will without a doubt hit. The issue is that the skill seems too strong. With a small slow and a low warmup, you can fire off an arrow from any place in the map, piercing your target's armour for nearly 250 damage. 250 damage. That is a LOT of damage. And the fact that it goes through armour? Wow.

So, here we are now. The complaining.
"Aimedshot op guys, need nerf."
So, here's my solution:

ARROWSTORM!
As many older players know, Arrowstorm was an old ranger skill. It would rapid fire 15 arrows for you automatically, dealing full arrow damage for each one. A ranger with decent aim could kill any class. Within 10 seconds, a ranger could deal 2000 damage. Now, I am not saying that it be returned to that state. The idea I have is to create a skill that requires some, but not too much skill to use. So, here we go.

Arrowstorm
Level 40
7 stamina, 120 mana
Description: With rapid force, you fire out 10 arrows, with each arrow dealing a base 15 damage(+0.25 per point of agility).

So, how does this fix the problem?
Having this nerfed arrowstorm fixes a few problems with Aimedshot:
1. The range; Aimedshot could be used from over 30 blocks away.
2. The damage; Having high amounts of agility will bring you relatively close to the damage of Aimedshot.
3. The skill involved; You need to aim this now. So, if you can hit all the arrows, you can do good damage, but if you don't you can do decent damage.

I hope you guys like my suggestion, and if you don't; please tell me why!

Thanks,
Pew

This is dumb.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Is it possible that arrows could be made to pierce targets and potentially hit multiple enemies? That would help alot in team fights. Could be a cooldown "for the next x seconds your arrows will pierce their targets" no idea if this is reasonable to program.

look_out

Legacy Supporter 3
Rangers are find the way they are.
However these are two things to look at:

1. Punch Bow II are pretty much a force push added to every arrow. If a ranger has a punch II bow you can forget about even touching him. Punch I is fine because Rangers still need something to keep people off them and Ice volley + Explosive Shot combo isn't enough. So Punch I is fine but Punch II needs to be looked at.

2. Simply changing Aimed shot damage to 160 (+1.0) per agility. This allows for a shot that will hit anyone but will pretty much cap at 200 damage when a ranger hits 40 agility. ( numbers can be tweaked, just keeping the max damage between 200-220)

Rangers have been complaining about needing a skill that allows them to pierce armor. When they finally get it, we just take it away because its "too strong." Some simply number changes can fix this problem...