• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Aimedshot Has to Go.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
Rangers are find the way they are.
However these are two things to look at:

1. Punch Bow II are pretty much a force push added to every arrow. If a ranger has a punch II bow you can forget about even touching him. Punch I is fine because Rangers still need something to keep people off them and Ice volley + Explosive Shot combo isn't enough. So Punch I is fine but Punch II needs to be looked at.

2. Simply changing Aimed shot damage to 160 (+1.0) per agility. This allows for a shot that will hit anyone but will pretty much cap at 200 damage when a ranger hits 40 agility. ( numbers can be tweaked, just keeping the max damage between 200-220)

Rangers have been complaining about needing a skill that allows them to pierce armor. When they finally get it, we just take it away because its "too strong." Some simply number changes can fix this problem...

Agree wholly on point one, in the same vein looking at Knockback II on swords is also a good idea.

As for point two.... This isn't a matter (imho) of this ability being overpowered.... Rather, it's a case of "This is a boring ability!" Would you like Volley as a replacement if it's cool and effective? Personally, I would love using that over Aimed Shot.

Also, don't they already have at least one ability that pierces? If not, well maybe volley can pierce?

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
I don't know why people are saying aimed shot takes skill to use when it says it will not miss its target when u look up ranger skills.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Rangers are find the way they are.
However these are two things to look at:

1. Punch Bow II are pretty much a force push added to every arrow. If a ranger has a punch II bow you can forget about even touching him. Punch I is fine because Rangers still need something to keep people off them and Ice volley + Explosive Shot combo isn't enough. So Punch I is fine but Punch II needs to be looked at.

2. Simply changing Aimed shot damage to 160 (+1.0) per agility. This allows for a shot that will hit anyone but will pretty much cap at 200 damage when a ranger hits 40 agility. ( numbers can be tweaked, just keeping the max damage between 200-220)

Rangers have been complaining about needing a skill that allows them to pierce armor. When they finally get it, we just take it away because its "too strong." Some simply number changes can fix this problem...
I agree with Punch II. It grants the ranger a HUGE advantage in combat. However, the issue I have with Aimedshot is that it is too easy. All you need to do is wait a few seconds, then deal a huge chunk of damage to your target. If ranger were to lose Aimedshot, it still has an armour piercing skill. Explosiveshot. On the thread @Rubber_Duckies made, (best and worst classes) you will see that majority of people put ranger in their top three. Why is this? The reason I think people think ranger is "op" is because they have so much armour piercing. The arrows still deal good damage to those with armour, because of Explosiveshot. So far, as a 44 ranger, I have had no issues fighting warriors, and I don't have aimedshot yet. Yesterday, I saw many people complaining about ranger.

The reason I suggested the skill, is because ranger
A) Would still have armour piercing
B) Aimedshot takes no skill. I have always viewed ranger as a class that relies on skill. If you have bad aim, you will be a bad ranger. With Arrowstorm, while you still do have to aim it, it isn't that hard to aim.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
You know what might also be cool? An ability called "Volley", what this does is it's an aoe targetable like blizzard; this ability causes you to fire a volley of arrows towards the target area, making it rain arrows every second for x seconds. Might be possible considering blizzard was done. What do you guys think?
I like the idea, but it seems like a skill similar to this in a team fight would be kind of awkward. For anyone playing a class with a bow, you will know that arrows tend to be, for lack of a better word, derpy. If you were to target an area, anyone in that area already taking damage - the arrows would bounce off. Anyone on fire - the arrows would bounce off. Minecraft arrows are weird... However, I have to say I really like this idea, and if something like this could be pulled off, it would be pretty cool.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
I like the idea, but it seems like a skill similar to this in a team fight would be kind of awkward. For anyone playing a class with a bow, you will know that arrows tend to be, for lack of a better word, derpy. If you were to target an area, anyone in that area already taking damage - the arrows would bounce off. Anyone on fire - the arrows would bounce off. Minecraft arrows are weird... However, I have to say I really like this idea, and if something like this could be pulled off, it would be pretty cool.

I could also counter that arrowstorm suffers from the same problem. I think to resolve this, one could, in addition to the arrows, simply deal a set amount of damage to the players in the area. The arrows would just be for aesthetic at that point.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
FYI guys, arrows can be made to not bounce off people. It's impossible if it's from a bow but "Skill's arrows" work differently.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Because Aimedshot takes no skill, it is incredibly boring to use. While yes, the damage is nice, it's boring.
I just don't think that's really a good reason. There are so many skills that are "boring", then. Bolt, Megabolt, ArcaneBlast, among others, would be considered "boring" skills. Should they be reworked for that reason? I think not.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Even though the skill you proposed sounds more like an "arrow storm" than a volley, I like the concept.

OPs "Arrow storm" seems under-powered since it it will only doing [150 dmg +(2.5 agility scaling)] which isn't much more than a single arrow and requires you to hit every single arrow to be effective.

In the case of aimed-shot I guess it's possible for it to be a free-aim skill, but that would require a dmg boost or the lack of the warm-up.
Well the reason it's damage isn't as high, is because I believe ranger has too much damage. When you think about it, aimed shot is only 2 arrows of damage that go through armour. Key term there, go through armour. The skill isn't solely intended to be used for damage, as it can also be used for some annoying knockback.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
I just don't think that's really a good reason. There are so many skills that are "boring", then. Bolt, Megabolt, ArcaneBlast, among others, would be considered "boring" skills. Should they be reworked for that reason? I think not.

I think so. Those abilities are not made interesting because people have not come up with creative (yet still valid) ways to revamp them. If I had my way, every ability would be visually unique, interesting and fun to use.
I wouldn't necessarily say "Replace them!" but I would opt for, say, unique effects in addition to/complementing the straight-up damage. But I digress.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Firing down lightning from the sky I wouldn't consider to be as boring as sitting there for 2 seconds, then quickly shooting the bow. I mean, I guess what you're saying is correct, as they could also be "boring" skills, I just believe that there is nothing special about aimedshot.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Well - you mentioned that you don't care about AimedShot because you haven't really experienced lag that is too bad. I PvP'd with @madpear last map, and he can tell you - when (and it's when, not if) lag gets bad, Ranger is pretty useless in combat. AimedShot would at least give a Ranger a chance at doing some damage during lag. I think it's a pretty nifty skill even when there's no lag.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Well the reason it's damage isn't as high, is because I believe ranger has too much damage. When you think about it, aimed shot is only 2 arrows of damage that go through armour. Key term there, go through armour. The skill isn't solely intended to be used for damage, as it can also be used for some annoying knockback.
If the purpose of the skill is for knockback (It has no benefit besides that.) then maybe a single arrow that has a knockback? Maybe call it "Impact shot?"

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
You know what might also be cool? An ability called "Volley", what this does is it's an aoe targetable like blizzard; this ability causes you to fire a volley of arrows towards the target area, making it rain arrows every second for x seconds. Might be possible considering blizzard was done. What do you guys think?
Just a heads up, blizzard is extremely difficult to actually hit people with. It's good in chaotic teamfights where it doesn't really matter where you aim it, but other than that, it's a mana intensive skill that rarely does much damage.

Ground targeted skills are really derpy to aim in general, especially since so many skills are player targeted.

Last edited:

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8

While I agree they aren't the most exciting skills, with wizard there's a more significant tradeoff, because 2-5 seconds of standing still at 14 range is enough time for any class to close. Wizard can't often afford to get hit in the way that ranger as a tankier class with more knockback and melee viability can.

Also arcaneblast is a terrible skill 90% of the time.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Just a heads up, blizzard is extremely difficult to actually hit people with. It's good in chaotic teamfights where it doesn't really matter where you aim it, but other than that, it's a mana intensive skill.

Ground targeted skills are really derpy to aim in general, especially since so many skills are player targeted.
While Blizzard may be hard to aim, this is due to it being stationary. With this "arrow storm" it could be a single volley of arrows that fall on an area. Actually "raining arrows" would be underwhelming since people can easily walk out of it (less in the case of blizzard, since it slows.) It also makes more sense in a lore perspective. Since a group of archers would do a large "volley" of arrows instead of continuous fire.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
While Blizzard may be hard to aim, this is due to it being stationary. With this "arrow storm" it could be a single volley of arrows that fall on an area. Actually "raining arrows" would be underwhelming since people can easily walk out of it (less in the case of blizzard, since it slows.) It also makes more sense in a lore perspective. Since a group of archers would do a large "volley" of arrows instead of continuous fire.

It would be interesting to give rangers another AOE, and take away some burst. This would have to be tested. I don't know how it would play out.