• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Spell/Dungeon Team

Shenorai

Banned
Although there may be problems going on with the coding itself, I'm seeing this as a group of chefs trying to figure out how to prepare the other ingredients to the feast while the main dish is still in preparation. Commission or not, it's usually best to try and keep people busy while problems are being worked out. Otherwise, when you need to get your dishes served, you'll be dealing with people just standing around and picking their noses without enough time to wash their hands.

Yes, shit takes a long time to fix, coding or Minecraft blocks or otherwise. But for fuck's sake, I'm pretty sure that there are a LOT of veterans and new builders alike that are just sick to death of all the griefing that is being allowed in the first place. Which is the main source of the players' frustration, I imagine.

Telling someone to bugger off and go build shit on a private server? Do you really want to tell people that? If anything, that might as well be the same as telling someone to just leave Herocraft altogether and build on a "less hardcore server durhurrr". Shoving people somewhere else like that would just give them one more reason to not return.

A question for Aph and/or Kainzo: What are the current functional capabilities of the regions?

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
If you want to build stuff and not have it grieved -- with Heroes getting ironed out as well as waiting for other plugins to get updated -- it is downright childish and immature to demand things from Kainzo. It is not his job to see that your work is protected, it is YOURS, especially as he hasn't yet contracted you for the dungeons in question.

If you want to build these dungeons, you should feel grateful that your work is even being used, seeing that others will run thought the trials you create. Acting like babies that someone is messing up your work? Please. I thought higher of the Spell Team, but to see that you crossing your arms and stomping your feet just makes me think less. If I were Kainzo, I would strip you of this right and give it to someone who is more appreciative of the honor.

The solution I posed (creating a private server to secure your work) is still a good one. After a simple //save on one map and //paste on another, a little work to mesh it with the area wouldn't be hard, especially if you outlined a plot prior (and no, don't work on a flat map). This not only prevents people from messing with your work (including redstone), but also seeing exactly WHAT you are designing. Just because something is regioned doesn't prevent anyone from trespassing, looking around, and learning what you are doing, thus rendering all your hard work USELESS... or had that thought not occurred to you?

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
If you want to build stuff and not have it grieved -- with Heroes getting ironed out as well as waiting for other plugins to get updated -- it is downright childish and immature to demand things from Kainzo. It is not his job to see that your work is protected, it is YOURS, especially as he hasn't yet contracted you for the dungeons in question.

If you want to build these dungeons, you should feel grateful that your work is even being used, seeing that others will run thought the trials you create. Acting like babies that someone is messing up your work? Please. I thought higher of the Spell Team, but to see that you crossing your arms and stomping your feet just makes me think less. If I were Kainzo, I would strip you of this right and give it to someone who is more appreciative of the honor.

The solution I posed (creating a private server to secure your work) is still a good one. After a simple //save on one map and //paste on another, a little work to mesh it with the area wouldn't be hard, especially if you outlined a plot prior (and no, don't work on a flat map). This not only prevents people from messing with your work (including redstone), but also seeing exactly WHAT you are designing. Just because something is regioned doesn't prevent anyone from trespassing, looking around, and learning what you are doing, thus rendering all your hard work USELESS... or had that thought not occurred to you?

The thing is that the dungeon WAS protected but the region was removed? I fail to see why it was removed.

Regions were not supposed to go out to anyone. And someone on the dungeonteam lied to an administrator to get the region. When in fact it had already been stated no regions would go out for anything other than towns. The administrator was punished and the region was removed.
This is why.

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
I thought you resigned mod-ship because the server wasn't becoming what you wanted it to be- A move of protest(ragequit)- and in your own words 'this isn't what you donated for' or have we just forgotten that?

I stepped down for a multitude of reasons, one being that my semester was getting to be too much and that real life overrides Minecraft. Second reason was the fact that a high-paying donor (Amgroma) was getting right to do whatever he wanted even though he had committed many offenses in the past to which I felt he should have been banned for. Since nothing was done about it, I wanted to no longer be a part of staff as, again, I had neither the time nor energy for. Get your facts straight before you preach to me.

DagothAgahnim

Legacy Supporter 5
alright I stopped reading the new posts as soon as I saw name-calling start getting handed around on page 4. People, grow up.

The reason this is a big deal is because redstone circuitry is easy to fuck with even without breaking anything physically. A few switches thrown in the right places and we will spend the better part of a day or two just trying to figure out what was changed so it will all work again. Redstone circuits are delicate and are also a central part of EVERYTHING the Spell Team does. You want to see what we mean, go find what work was done so far on our current project, think a few people already found it, the circuitry rooms are huge and very complicated, and Admin rollbacks don't work most of the time on redstone/IC's, as Brutal pointed out and as I already knew myself from my time as an Admin.

Also, I'm all for re-naming the Spell Team to the Dungeon Team since people seem to think that due to our name we're whining about not having spells yet, which has never been the case. Yeah I wish they were done, but I know why they aren't ready and the reasons for it and I'm not complaining about a lack of stuff to put IN the dungeons, we just want to make the dungeons.

Now, if I could get into conversation with Kainzo, and I mean JUST Kainzo, and work out a seperate Multiverse hosted by Herocraft for the Spell Team to mess around, SUPER! My main objection to being told to go to our own server is that it sounds insulting no matter how you put it, and also none of us have a decent server setup to the best of my knowledge.
You want us to work on a diff Multiverse though, that's a different thing entirely. Copy over the current map to a new multiverse, that way we have the same map and can scout an area and build WITH the terrain, and then when it's ready to be copied over, it FITS and there won't be any additional work to make a sloppy paste look good. Only whitelist Spell Team members on this multiverse (and Mods+ I suppose, Staff has always been allowed to give input in our dungeons since we first started making them) and make us all OP's on that multiverse. Then we can get the dungeons made on the actual terrain where they will be built. (we can also go on the Main Map and set up a Claim in the area to keep anyone from building there while we make the dungeon on the alternate map, and rest assured, we will try to build away from anyone's current projects to minimized problems, as always)

That is my solution to this whole bit of drama, provide us with the suggested alternate server and we will use it, at least this way Herocraft is still supporting our work directly and not shipping us off to another host to do our work.

ALSO! I LOVE the idea of Tier blocks instead of XP/Spell blocks that give each person something based on their class. This would be AMAZING if implemented, the dungeons would be there for everyone in that case, and it could be something as simple as XP for unspecced people 1-50, and a new Skill/Spell for Specialized people 50+ (and make sure that an unspecced person who does it can come back once specced and get the skill/spell later, same for people who re-spec later to a different class and need to get their Tier 1 ability again.) I love the idea, it's top-rate.

xpeterc1

Legacy Supporter 7
Well I dunno where to post my ideas beside here so:

A room where once the person leaves the safe area they are given a time limit to press all the buttons scattered in a room, the room can be as big as you like or as small, if they fail the time limit the floor shall open up to a lava pit.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/472077-dungeon-puzzle-circuits/

A Rock-Paper-Scissor game
If you win: You get to move on
If you tie: You get a second go.
If you loses: The floor opens up and you die!

I saw a video of how they did it but it was too bulky so I made my own by using a matrix which can determine the outcome since there is only 9 possible outcomes.
The computer side will be played by a random generator.
So each time will be different and quite random.

lucky644

Legacy Supporter 4
i-got-this.jpg

*bans everyone*

Shenorai

Banned
Well I dunno where to post my ideas beside here so:

A room where once the person leaves the safe area they are given a time limit to press all the buttons scattered in a room, the room can be as big as you like or as small, if they fail the time limit the floor shall open up to a lava pit.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/472077-dungeon-puzzle-circuits/

A Rock-Paper-Scissor game
If you win: You get to move on
If you tie: You get a second go.
If you loses: The floor opens up and you die!

I saw a video of how they did it but it was too bulky so I made my own by using a matrix which can determine the outcome since there is only 9 possible outcomes.
The computer side will be played by a random generator.
So each time will be different and quite random.
Awesome.

...but that's just with Rock, Paper, and Scissors. I wonder how huge of a system it would be to introduce other RPS variants...?

I'm rather new to the whole WorldEdit thing, but when I tried copying a structure and pasting it just a few blocks away, all the pistons were facing downwards... Are you sure that copying and pasting will do a better job than rolling back will for the circuitry?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The dungeon in question here, under the current minecraft coding, will not function with our server. It creates large spikes in gameplay when operating. I will say it is an awesome concept and will be displayed on a test server to show a proof of concept and for fun/etc. I will always choose the non-laggy approach to anything to do with the server. I won't be explaining myself here, it's a very obvious reason.

I do not want constant harassment / complaining / whining - I want you to enjoy yourself.

The spell plugin is scheduled to be removed, if only until we can find a better use for it.
Mark / Recall / Gate will be moved to skills and have a mana cost / adjustments on them.
I -love- the spell plugin, but with Heroes its trying to balance a chainsaw with babies for arms.

HeroBlock isnt ready yet, but should contain methods to
1) Gain exp by right clicking a block
2) Changing a class or
3) Obtaining a skill.

The good news is, a portion of the taxes that we take in from townships will be going to server projects, such as the dungeon team and many more.

The people who can't understand how this server works after being here for so long:
Shit takes time. We don't get paid - some things just aren't ready to 'throw in' and by choosing to play here or be active in our community you accept this.

iFizzE

Legacy Supporter 5
Maybe put spell dungeons on a different world and hide the herogates to them,or put them on X amount of servers and put the ip on hidden signs?

DagothAgahnim

Legacy Supporter 5
and I've actually been content for a while and forgot to change the thread back.

I'm aware things take time, and I'm just going to sit back and be patient, there's just no work for the spell team right now and I'm going to have to find other things to engage our members in for now. Since most of us are in the SSS anyways, we'll probly work on deathtraps and gadgets for our towns until there's work.

Both sides had good arguments, and I appologize for the idiots who put up bad arguments and hate/rage, it wasn't intended and I was LOOKING to put down in black and white what our concerns were, and it got a bit out of hand.

Kainzo, I love ya, always have, always will, and I'll always stick by you and Herocraft. We're here when you need us.