• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Ranger Rebalancing? (Update 11/26)

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
Precision Shot- Take your time to aim and fire in between the enemy's armour (ignores armour, 2 second warm up per arrow, 5 second CD

Xerot

Legacy Supporter 4
Well, you can have a warm up for say, preparing the arrow. It'd be something you'd use to initiate a fight.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Basically - for all classes (combat) we want them to follow this rough guideline for balance:
Starter Combat Skills = 1-2
Main Combat Skills = 3-4
Finisher Combat Skills = 1-2
Utility skills = 1-2

XxTxAxZxX

Legacy Supporter 7
Just a question, it says in wiki rangers arrows do 150/1+not level,
What does that mean, is it 210 damage per arrow at Lvl 60 or flat 150 forever?

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Just a question, it says in wiki rangers arrows do 150/1+not level,
What does that mean, is it 210 damage per arrow at Lvl 60 or flat 150 forever?
The arrow damage scaling was broken or something, so they put it permanently at 150.

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
Ok first off there is something called kiting and using frost arrow if your bad you will lose if your good you will win I guarantee almost every fight. Your a rogue spec class your not suppose to be able to kill armor heroes easily that's why you kick the shit out of rogue specs, caster specs, healers specs, and even some dragoons and samurais so stop complaining you picked ranger and if your bad at shooting minecraft arrows that's your own fault for picking that class.

Xerot

Legacy Supporter 4
Templar, we're discussing balance, not how to determine whether or not you're bad at a class. Take that elsewhere, please. Also worth mentioning that kiting is a moot point with most armored classes having the ability to out-heal damage or kick your face in with mobility boosting skills. As a dragoon, you probably know this well. Our survival in kiting relies extremely heavily on whether or not we have enchanted punch bows and speed potions. Most classes don't necessarily need said enchantments.

That's also a good reference to have, Kainzo. It'll make narrowing things down much easier. I think that's what really needed to be noticed, a finishing skill. Barrage seldom comes in handy unless you're in a team fight, which... Well, those don't end well if you're ranging, and often times you get focused in that sense. So a really simple solution would be bringing arrowstorm back, as much as I don't like having to say it. As far as close range goes, it makes for a good means of countering a samurai's One, not to mention the armor penetration offered when used with poison arrow... Maybe I over-thought it, haha. It'd give us that counter we've been needing for the heavily armored classes.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Poison arrow could stack during the 9 seconds of the initial poisoning, up to 3 stacks. The duration would not be increased with each stack application, but if a ranger got off 3 arrows early in the 9 seconds, it would be a decent burst.

This would make poison arrow less similar to firearrow. This would require a nerf to poison arrows damage, but keeping in mind that a buff to ranger burst is the intent.

Xerot

Legacy Supporter 4
It'd work, but I think that'd require a little too much programming. I honestly want to find the easiest solution that can be implemented without any fuss, so it can assure that it'd be a thing that can be released and tested with ease.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Ok what about TranquilizingShot: Slowly drains stamina from your opponent.

Doesnt drain too much, and has a 1-2 uses per fight coolddown.

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
Templar, we're discussing balance, not how to determine whether or not you're bad at a class. Take that elsewhere, please. Also worth mentioning that kiting is a moot point with most armored classes having the ability to out-heal damage or kick your face in with mobility boosting skills. As a dragoon, you probably know this well. Our survival in kiting relies extremely heavily on whether or not we have enchanted punch bows and speed potions. Most classes don't necessarily need said enchantments.

That's also a good reference to have, Kainzo. It'll make narrowing things down much easier. I think that's what really needed to be noticed, a finishing skill. Barrage seldom comes in handy unless you're in a team fight, which... Well, those don't end well if you're ranging, and often times you get focused in that sense. So a really simple solution would be bringing arrowstorm back, as much as I don't like having to say it. As far as close range goes, it makes for a good means of countering a samurai's One, not to mention the armor penetration offered when used with poison arrow... Maybe I over-thought it, haha. It'd give us that counter we've been needing for the heavily armored classes.

Nah your actually wrong because ice arrow effects our mobility completely since it effects how far we do our next jump and also I have gotten hit in the air plenty of times by a good ranger in a row. Rangers are fine as they are the only skill that needs an actual fix is arrow barrage

Da_Burg

Legacy Supporter 8
Nah your actually wrong because ice arrow effects our mobility completely since it effects how far we do our next jump and also I have gotten hit in the air plenty of times by a good ranger in a row. Rangers are fine as they are the only skill that needs an actual fix is arrow barrage
Actually ice arrow doesn't affect jump at all. I went just as far when slowed by ice with jump as I did normally. The same thing with superjump. It goes just as high as it normally does when slowed by ice.

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
Actually ice arrow doesn't affect jump at all. I went just as far when slowed by ice with jump as I did normally. The same thing with superjump. It goes just as high as it normally does when slowed by ice.

Dude Im taking about distance not how high I go if you do a jump while your ice arrowed you won't got as far...

Da_Burg

Legacy Supporter 8
I had no problem with the distance of jump either. If anything all icearrow does is zoom in your screen.....

Ok what about TranquilizingShot: Slowly drains stamina from your opponent.

Doesnt drain too much, and has a 1-2 uses per fight coolddown.

I dont think any skill should drain mana or stamina i beleive that that would be just unfair against a high stamina using class.

How about this instead of Ice arrow.
Dash: Basically Jump for 3-4 blocks and Speed 1 for 3 secs (just a bit to get a block or two against a person chasing you) Stamina cost 4 (2 bars) 5 mana And 15 second cooldown.

I dont know if this should be obtained at this level (maybe lower or higher?)

Xerot

Legacy Supporter 4
Jump distance is not affected by ice arrow. Same thing goes for backflip, since it semi-literally hurls you in the direction you face, regardless of speed or slow. Jump distance actually depends on vertical speed upon activation, since it's additive and not a set value. It's asides the point, however. The easiest way to determine if ranger's fine or not would easily be answered by whether or not you've actually lost to one yet. With herocraft mechanics, it would require a ranger to hit you at full power roughly 20-30 times if you're fully armored with ice arrow equipped. The issue lies there - No burst to potentially counter heavily armored classes. Even in full chain, a cleric can easily out heal an accurate ranger's damage output, simply because while it's sustained damage, there's no burst or actual finishing skill to secure victory. In Dragongarde, we had Arrowstorm available to us, which after numerous tweaks, was reasonably powerful as a finishing skill at close range, and supplied the burst necessary to be able to stand a chance against fully armored opponents. It made things reasonable in the sense that if I were to get the upper hand by catching prey unaware, there was a chance of victory against fully armored enemies. It worked in the sense that arrowstorm also had a lower range and speed than regular arrow-fire, making it a close range gamble.

Just to make sure things remain on track, the current issue with survivability towards warriors is a lack of armor penetration, or burst damage to make an actual impact. Relying on Ice arrow is like a handicap that disconnects us from using the rest of our kit. So that being said, I feel that arrowstorm making a return would be the best means of balancing out the playing field again.

Best way to make my point is an example - Changing arrow effects is incredibly debilitating. Choosing your arrow before a fight is paramount as a Ranger, but more often than not, the choice is Ice since we have no real mobility skills or means of escape. However, he's fighting fully armored opponents. The best choice would be poison instead to pierce armor, right? But there's an added cost to swapping arrow skills mid-fight of a whopping 9 fatigue and an additional 15-20 mana. Swapping to get one ice arrow in and loading poison into the enemy makes sense for a while, until you realize you've barely made a dent in them, and they're in your face now, since they're likely a samurai or dragoon with some mobility skills. By this point, you're out of mana, fatigue, and basically means of damage output, since you can't rely on your axe for crap. (Seriously, pyromancers hurt more with their axe than we do.) But by the time you make the decision to swap your axe out, you're probably already dead as well, because the enemy *does* have full access to their kit and can use it interchangebly without too much consequence. It makes for a pretty painful playing field with the damage mitigation provided by armor.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Jump distance is not affected by ice arrow. Same thing goes for backflip, since it semi-literally hurls you in the direction you face, regardless of speed or slow. Jump distance actually depends on vertical speed upon activation, since it's additive and not a set value. It's asides the point, however. The easiest way to determine if ranger's fine or not would easily be answered by whether or not you've actually lost to one yet. With herocraft mechanics, it would require a ranger to hit you at full power roughly 20-30 times if you're fully armored with ice arrow equipped. The issue lies there - No burst to potentially counter heavily armored classes. Even in full chain, a cleric can easily out heal an accurate ranger's damage output, simply because while it's sustained damage, there's no burst or actual finishing skill to secure victory. In Dragongarde, we had Arrowstorm available to us, which after numerous tweaks, was reasonably powerful as a finishing skill at close range, and supplied the burst necessary to be able to stand a chance against fully armored opponents. It made things reasonable in the sense that if I were to get the upper hand by catching prey unaware, there was a chance of victory against fully armored enemies. It worked in the sense that arrowstorm also had a lower range and speed than regular arrow-fire, making it a close range gamble.

Just to make sure things remain on track, the current issue with survivability towards warriors is a lack of armor penetration, or burst damage to make an actual impact. Relying on Ice arrow is like a handicap that disconnects us from using the rest of our kit. So that being said, I feel that arrowstorm making a return would be the best means of balancing out the playing field again.

Best way to make my point is an example - Changing arrow effects is incredibly debilitating. Choosing your arrow before a fight is paramount as a Ranger, but more often than not, the choice is Ice since we have no real mobility skills or means of escape. However, he's fighting fully armored opponents. The best choice would be poison instead to pierce armor, right? But there's an added cost to swapping arrow skills mid-fight of a whopping 9 fatigue and an additional 15-20 mana. Swapping to get one ice arrow in and loading poison into the enemy makes sense for a while, until you realize you've barely made a dent in them, and they're in your face now, since they're likely a samurai or dragoon with some mobility skills. By this point, you're out of mana, fatigue, and basically means of damage output, since you can't rely on your axe for crap. (Seriously, pyromancers hurt more with their axe than we do.) But by the time you make the decision to swap your axe out, you're probably already dead as well, because the enemy *does* have full access to their kit and can use it interchangebly without too much consequence. It makes for a pretty painful playing field with the damage mitigation provided by armor.
You said it too well.