• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Ranger nerf

macura

Diamond
I believe that the ranger skills poison arrow and arrow storm are very overpowered. 1 poison arrow brings me (a wizard) down to around half health. That is alot of damage. I would suggest a slight nerf on this skill's damage or less ticks. Arrow storm i think was a very good idea but could be tweaked slightly to make it more fair. Rangers should need to have a bow to use arrowstorm. Rangers are a class all about precision and arrow storm is the exact opposite. Rangers have the ability to spam arrows and if they are originally off target they can readjust their aim and still deal incredible amounts of damage. I think that a good fix for this would be to make the cursor of the player using arrow storm decrease sensitivity drastically and be slowed. They keep the same amount of damage however the attack requires precision to use instead of spamming. This also prevents them from barrel stuffing people at point blank. This is a great skill for rangers to have and it does great nuke damage and with these changes it would be used at medium range not very close range. Rangers do the most damage at like range by far so they should not also be able to have the mot nuke damage at close range. I think that if one of these (preferably arrow storm) were to be nerfed it would make ranger a much more evenly powered class.

teddytazer

Soulsand
I think arrowstorm should be a final move/ last resort move. I don't know its cooldown time but I think it should be around the same as harmtouch (5-15mins), this is a skill they should be using to finish fights or save your ass, not something spam'd everytime its off cooldown.

macura

Diamond
I think arrowstorm should be a final move/ last resort move. I don't know its cooldown time but I think it should be around the same as harmtouch (5-15mins), this is a skill they should be using to finish fights or save your ass, not something spam'd everytime its off cooldown.
I just checked, the cd is only 20

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Arrowstorm is nice and all, but the majority of the ranger's damage output is based on just hitting the opponent with arrows. Arrowstorm replaces skill with brute force, so it has outstanding use in close range encounters, especially to get range on the target.

I also know where this thread is coming from. The other day, macura and I 1v1'd and I ended with full health because he didn't know how to strafe. Rangers are for the most part anti caster, and are designed to "ward"; or to keep other classes at bay.

Otherwise, I'd say currently ranger is perfectly balanced. If something were to replace arrowstorm, that'd be fine, as long as the class remained balanced.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I just checked, the cd is only 20
The CD may be 20, but keep in mind that if you use arrowstorm WITH an elemental arrow skill (ie poison), your mana is dead and you can't use arrowstorm again for a quite long time, far beyond the CD. Nerfing the CD (to 30-60 seconds) might be called for, but it wouldn't make a difference given the mana depletion at that point.

Aetosion

Obsidian
My proposition for replacement was a Critical Strike style thing. 10% chance for an arrow to do double damage.

Less derpy YAYSTORM, more about being accurate to increase your chance of crit.

Macura , fighting a Ranger is all about strafing. Ask leftovers, I'm a sexy strafer.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
My proposition for replacement was a Critical Strike style thing. 10% chance for an arrow to do double damage.

That'd be nice, maybe 20%, because that seems like it'd be very low.

On the same note, arrowstorm is the ONLY "active" skill that is practical to use in combat. Taking that away leaves only the brute hits from regular arrow shots and damage from poison arrow.

What I'm saying is that another "active" skill, rather than a passive (god knows we have a lot - sneak, elemental arrows, bowstrength, camo) skill is called for.

macura

Diamond
The CD may be 20, but keep in mind that if you use arrowstorm WITH an elemental arrow skill (ie poison), your mana is dead and you can't use arrowstorm again for a quite long time, far beyond the CD. Nerfing the CD (to 30-60 seconds) might be called for, but it wouldn't make a difference given the mana depletion at that point.
Im not annoyed about that i only noticed this after when i was raiding riften 1 poison arrow would repeatedly take me down to half health.

macura

Diamond

I think this is a great idea but i think a 80% critical hit of 150% damage would be more effective but there is only a chance to get this if it is a headshot. (im not sure if minecraft has s headshot hitbox) This would besthgreat because people would have to really earn their bonus damage. This would make good rangers really excel and make bad rangers get better.

I understand that poison arrow may need a slight nerf, cuz 1 poison arrow taking out half of a master wizard is not normal at all. Also consider that casters aren't meant to take damage though.

Aetosion

Obsidian
Lol, funny signature MrAwesome. I don't see why you setting up a 3-4 man ambush to kill me is worthy of a signature -.-

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2
I'd say currently ranger is perfectly balanced

Honestly ranger is a bit op.

It takes what, 4 hits to take down an armoured caster? if you have 50 blocks on them, and a punch bow, you can get off at least 8-10 shots.

Its bothersome that an average ranger, can do pretty well, where as some classes need to work a lot harder to get the same performence.

Rangers should be penalised more for missing shots.

A melee class can get into a rangers face, the ranger arrow storms, does half the melee's health and now has another 20-30 blocks on the melee. That's 3-4 more shots. By the time the melee is back in their face again, the ranger has 2-3 more seconds on arrow storm. That is if the ranger hasn't already killed him with the 3-4 free shots.

Right now the average ranger, and a skilled ranger don't stand too far apart. This needs to be tweaked.

Shhhh they don't know that! Lol everyone knows you're the best samurai here ;D lol why did you jump in the trap then? :eek:

Let's stay on-topic about the ranger nerf though =P

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
The determining factor in the quality of a ranger has and always will be precision. Skills (besides bowstrength) do not improve this aspect of ranger, it can only be improved upon by the ranger his/herself.

Rogue specs tend to be anti caster. There is no doubt about that.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Its bothersome that an average ranger, can do pretty well, where as some classes need to work a lot harder to get the same performence.

Great aim is not made in a day. It took me a long time to get as good as I can get today (4 months has it been?), and I'm still improving on myself.

That said, there is currently great distance between a not so good ranger and a good ranger.

@iHazBryn I agree with some aspects of that post, but not all.