• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Quest Team

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
@Mustardmanmcgee

Do you realize how old this thread is?

Are you a Necromancer, 'cause you just brought this thread back to life.
Do you realize quests are still needed?

This team will help out greatly with the planned Adventure map. It's a shame not more people have been interested in this position.

As for bringing threads back... it's been two months since even Mustardman replied. I think you're the necro here.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
What we really need from the community for Quests: This may be edited but is a pretty good run down of "how to write for quests" and then someone can script it.

Code:
info:
Name of Quest -
Quest Giver Name -
Quest Giver Text -
Quest Giver Worn Gear -
Location of Quest Giver -
Quest Objective - 
Items Required (if any) to complete -
Mobs Slain (if any) to complete -
Locations traveled (if any) to complete -
Quest Completion (When)-
Quest Failure - 
Repeatable: Y/N

Ultanian

Portal
info: Zombob doesn't want to be a zombie anymore. He's tired of his old friends running away from him and he'll do anything to change back.
Name of Quest - Zombob's Dillemma
Quest Giver Name - Zombob
Quest Giver Text - Hello! No, please don't run away! I'm a normal villager, I don't want to hurt anyone. As for the way I look, I think I was infected but I still think and talk normally... Do you think you could cure me? Bring me [Golden Apple] and a [Weakness Potion] and that should do the trick.
After bringing required items:
Braaaiins.... I don't think that will help braaains... anymore. Instead could you bring something else for braaains? I need 8 [Raw Porkchop]. Yessss.... Braaains....
Quest Giver Worn Gear - Villager Zombie, wearing white dyed armor.
Location of Quest Giver - A dark alleyway of any town.
Quest Objective - Bring required items to Zombob.
Items Required (if any) to complete - Golden Apple, Weakness Potion, 8 Porkchop.
Mobs Slain (if any) to complete - N/A
Locations traveled (if any) to complete - N/A
Quest Completion (When)- When all required items are brought.
Quest Failure - N/A
Repeatable: No

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
@Jonsoon

Whatever. I was just looking at this 'cause I felt I could be of service. I just didn't know whether or not quests were still needed. Ill help if need be.

HeroGuy426

Glowstone
Summer is OP unless you're at a garden 40% of the time. :/ eh, still op I can suggest some quests sometime later. :D

Ultanian

Portal
What we really need from the community for Quests: This may be edited but is a pretty good run down of "how to write for quests" and then someone can script it.

Code:
info:
Name of Quest -
Quest Giver Name -
Quest Giver Text -
Quest Giver Worn Gear -
Location of Quest Giver -
Quest Objective -
Items Required (if any) to complete -
Mobs Slain (if any) to complete -
Locations traveled (if any) to complete -
Quest Completion (When)-
Quest Failure -
Repeatable: Y/N
I can think of a heap load of these, but I'd rather not spam up this thread. It ok to PM them?

De_eggs

Stone
Ok so i have a idea its not a story line but it may be of great use as long as you are good with redstone and have time:
One of Sethbling's (the youtube guy) youtube videos showed how he made a house where u walk around and the blocks apear as you walk This would be greate if there was a dungeon and outside you can see like a jungle or something like that. Here is the video

I think its a ok idea and being a bit of a experienced programmer i will try and change some npc plugins and i will try and make the available on bukget for u guys id u use multicraft it will be a remake of the "Citizens" plugin which btw i also helped creating :p

Thanks for reading

( I know this is along time since it was posted but still :) )

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Ok so i have a idea its not a story line but it may be of great use as long as you are good with redstone and have time:
One of Sethbling's (the youtube guy) youtube videos showed how he made a house where u walk around and the blocks apear as you walk This would be greate if there was a dungeon and outside you can see like a jungle or something like that. Here is the video

I think its a ok idea and being a bit of a experienced programmer i will try and change some npc plugins and i will try and make the available on bukget for u guys id u use multicraft it will be a remake of the "Citizens" plugin which btw i also helped creating :p

Thanks for reading

( I know this is along time since it was posted but still :) )
Houses appearing as you walk may be quite laggy. Citizens and Denizens is a massive project requiring several devs to upkeep. I'd rather you stick with that one unless there's something that is just not working.

De_eggs

Stone
Short idea you enter a cave and then indiana jones style there a boulder or like make the wall start moving towards you u have to sprint and u have like a path u gotta parkour through then once your there there is aguard that you have to bribe with something to let you into the gate the gaurd will be like in a little hut so he n killable and you will need to get something for him for him to open it and all this under the pressure of time so that u dont suffocate from the wall if you do u respawn and u repeat or u "wake up" somewhere else . Something along these lines. Think about indiana jones :)

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
info: Ryyz'rtwyt, the Lich King, has woken from his slumber and is raising the dead to invade Aegis. You, Hero, must venture forth into his lair and destroy him before he destroys us.
Name of Quest - Slayer of the Dead
Quest Giver Name - Lord Mortyer
Quest Giver Text - Ryyz'rtwyt, the Lich King, has woken from his slumber and is raising the dead to invade Aegis. You, Hero, must venture forth into his lair and destroy him before he destroys us.
Quest Giver Worn Gear - Gold armor, gold sword
Location of Quest Giver - somewhere in central possibly
Quest Objective - Slay Ryyz'rtwyt, the Lich King
Items Required (if any) to complete - Ryyz'rtwyt's Skull
Mobs Slain (if any) to complete - Ryyz'rtwyt the Lich King
Locations traveled (if any) to complete - Ryyz'rtwyt's Lair
Quest Completion (When)- When returning Ryyz'rtwyt's skull to Lord Mortyer
Quest Failure - if not completed within 150 minutes
Repeatable: Yes
Procession of Quest: Receive quest from Lord Mortyer <Quest Giver Text>. Venture to lair (dark cave from surface going down to about y:30 with multiple hollowed out areas with mobs and mini-bosses). Arrive in first hollowed out area, encounter zombies and a few skeletons, and Alazzyr, Risen Archon (Ghast). Alazzyr <None shall stand in the way of the Risen. You cannot stop us mortal.> After Alazzyr is defeated the lair continues down further. Stone transitions to netherrack and fire. Arrive in second hollowed out area, encounter pig men and a few skeletons and Dzeba, Risen Imperator (Wither Skeleton Jockey). Dzeba <You may have defeated the Archon, but none live to see the Imperator and tell the tale.> After Dzeba is defeated the lair continues down further. Netherrack transitions to nether brick with spots of lava. Arrive in final hollowed out area, encounter wither skeletons and a few blazes and Ryyz'rtwyt, the Lich King (wither boss). Ryyz'rtwyt <Ah, a mortal capable of defeating my champions. I will make a fine general of you after you are defeated. The Age of the Zo has passed, and the Age of the Risen is dawning.> When Ryyz'rtwyt is defeated his head will drop (an enchanted wither skull if it's possible) and a portal will appear taking the Hero (or Heroes) back to the cave entrance. Upon bringing the Lich King's skull to Lord Mortyer <Bless your soul, Hero. You have spared our existence, for now. The Zo smile upon you.> Option is given to choose a golden weapon (scythe, sword, axe, spear, etc) with Unbreaking X, Smite V, and Fire Aspect named something along the lines of "___ of the Zo" or "___ of Rays". Quest ends.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
I also have some good, developed ideas for the lair itself regarding the build of the boss areas and the distribution of mobs.
Edit: That is assuming there are ways to 'anchor' mobs to a certain spot to keep them from wandering too far. Otherwise I would have to implement some vanilla mechanics which would not be as intuitive or impressive as originally planned.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
And sorry about the consecutive posts, but...
How much freedom do we have with custom mobs? I know that you can make boss mobs, and that you can't make completely new mobs, but is there a way to re-skin a boss mob (and just that boss mob) through the server texture pack?

I ask because I have ideas for a few opposing quest arcs that would rely on the ability to do so.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
info: Ascend to the Realm of a minor Zo, a Zai, slay his entourage, and condemn him to the Nether.
Name of Quest - Bringer of Darkness
Quest Giver Name - Archon Wyrazzyr
Quest Giver Text - Our scouts have reported the gathering of an army commanded by a minor Zo, a Zai. We believe they mean to strike our expeditionary force in the Flatlands. Ascent to this Zai's realm, destroy his army, and slaughter him before he strikes.
Quest Giver Worn Gear - Maroon or blood colored leather armor
Location of Quest Giver - Dreadfort near the volcano
Quest Objective - Kill the Zai
Items Required (if any) to complete - Hallowed Trophy (enchanted Steve head, dropped by Zai on death)
Mobs Slain (if any) to complete - Zai (not sure what mob to make this. The mobs are a bit of a problem for this quest arc.)
Locations traveled (if any) to complete - Zai's Realm
Quest Completion (When)- When all requirements are met, and the Hallowed Trophy is returned to Archon Wyrazzyr
Quest Failure -if not complete within 150 minutes
Repeatable: Yes
Dialogue: Archon Wyrazzyr <Quest Giver Text>. Venture to certain marked area, where you will meet fellow (NPC) Risen Scouts and a Risen Nightmare-Walker. Risen Nightmare-Walker <Our bats have set up the receiving end of a portal to the Zai's realm. We have a small incursion force waiting for you inside. May you bring the Zai a slow and painful death.> Walk into nether portal behind Risen Party. Arrive in a cloud-like area with stairs leading up to large platforms. A few bats fly around at spawn point. Six wither skeletons wait for you and follow you through (make like the necro's skeleton possibly? Have it aggro against what you aggro?) Walk up stairs to first platform. Encounter 4 iron golems and 4 snowmen behind them throwing icebolts (if possible). After defeating them walk to end of platform and up the stairs to second platform. Encounter 6 iron golems and 4 icebolt snowmen. After them continue up stairs to the Zai's throne. There will be 8 iron golems in center, with stairways curving up the sides to the Zai and his throne. Zai <Risen scum? Infiltrating my holy abode? I will not stand for this, prepare for the wrath of the Zo!> Along the stairs there will be 6 icebolt snowmen. I'm not sure how we will pull off the Zai (I was thinking maybe an NPC but those cannot attack or be damaged...) Once defeated and Hallowed Trophy returned to Archon Wyrazzyr, Archon Wyrazzyr <The sky is a little less brighter, thanks to you. The darkness has grown stronger. Here is your reward Slayer.> Option is given to choose an iron weapon (scythe, sword, axe, spear, etc.) with Unbreaking II, Sharpness III, and Wither I (I'm sure that it's possible to put wither on weapons, right?) named something along the lines of "___ of the Damned" or "___ of the Risen". Quest ends.

This is a mission from the counterpart quest arc to the Zo. I have ideas for two main quest arcs: the Risen (undead nether things) and the Zo (iron golems, snowmen, etc. It's going to be difficult setting up mobs for these guys). Based on who you fight for, in mission and in the adventure map in general, your reputation with the respective faction goes up (a form of the Karma system can be incorporated). There are benefits to each faction, such as undead mobs won't attack you if you are with the Risen, like becomedeath, and you have a constant health regen when exposed to daylight if you side with the Zo.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
From a message I sent to Danda:

I was taking a look at the adventure map yesterday, and it gave me the idea of quest lines and quest arcs. I blabbed on a bit about this on the quest team thread already, but I will expand more here.

To start, there are two main factions: the Risen, and the Zo. The Risen are the 'bad' guys. They are like demons, undead, etc and are the enemies of the Zo. Dreadknights, necromancers, bloodmages, and the like would start semi-affiliated with the Risen. Then there are the Zo, the 'good' guys. They are like the gods and angels of Herocraft. Paladins, clerics, and disciples would start semi-affiliated with the Zo.

Each faction will have a capital fort. The Risen's Dreadfort could be near the Volcano; the Zo's Holy Citadel could be near the snowy lands. The center area can have a neutral starting city. Depending on your class and its affiliation, you would spawn in either the Dreadfort, the Holy Citadel, or the central city. Even though you may start in a certain city, your affiliation is not set in stone; a necromancer may very well travel across the map to the Holy Citadel and fight for the Zo.

Regarding the quest arcs themselves, in the Holy Citadel and the Dreadfort, near where you spawn there is a faction NPC that will give you a simple quest like go to an enemy camp and kill them, or go gather an artifact. Once you complete the quest, you will get a small boost to your relationship with that faction, and a decay in relationship with the other faction. I was thinking that the old Karma system could be incorporated very well into this faction system. As your relationship increases with your faction, new quests can become available, and you gain special benefits. An example of the benefits would be: Increased damage at night and a becomedeath-like passive ability for the Risen and health regen during the day and extra damage towards undead for the Zo.

The quests would continue in a story, getting progressively harder the further along the story you are on (I was hoping to scale the missions based off Heroes Specializations: the first mission would be suitable for a level 1 spec, the last one suitable for a level 65 spec.) And the final quest for each arc could be the killing of the leader of the opposite faction.

To pass time between missions, you can venture through the adventure map and attack enemy mobs and camps to raise your reputation with your own faction. For this to be possible, there needs to be a way for certain mobs to spawn, and respawn (off a timer) in certain areas. An example would be Borderlands, Skyrim, Destiny, etc, how certain enemies only appear where they are meant to appear, as opposed to the random mob spawns of minecraft. Furthermore, these enemy mobs may occasionally drop loot that is redeemable to your faction for reputation or items, like the pvp badges on Aegis.

I'm not sure how PVP will work on the Adventure map, but I propose it is only enabled between rival factions. This will set the stage for a conquest-like system where there are forts and camps scattered throughout the adventure map that the rival factions can fight over. Control of a fort or camp will bring benefits to your faction, sort of like the current conquest system. This idea is very similar to GW2s WvWvW, for reference.

I also propose a third faction, something related to the End. Missions against this faction may pop up occasionally and both factions have to bind together to defeat their common enemy. This may also give a wonderful background for public events throughout all the maps.

Sorry for the flood of ideas, I'm sure that a few of the things I threw in may not be possible, but I would love for as much of this as possible to become a part of Herocraft. We claim we are an RPG server, but as far as I can see there isn't much RPG. This can be the fix to that problem.

I've also been taking a look at the Sentry plugin lately (it works off the same platform Denizen's runs off of) and it would open up the possibility of NPCs that can be damaged, killed, respawned, and easily incorporated into a quest script. These can be useful for populating a faction's camp or fort, or for using as targets or allies in a quest.