• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Quest Team

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I'm looking to put together a team of people that will help design quests. All I need is people to come up with ideas and story behind the quests. I'm looking to try and make things more interesting than just fetch x many bear asses or kill y many skeletons. I want people to try and build complex stories and quests with multiple objectives I'm even happy with you building a chain or quests or even a whole stream of quests that run in succession to form this greater story. The world is your oyster as they say.

Now I don't need you to learn the scripting for building the actual quests I'm more than happy to write that for you as long as you give me something to go on.

If you wish to apply to help out throw together some ideas and send them to me in a PM and I'll discuss my opinions of the quest and whether or not it'll be possible.

Dumathoin

Dirt
I was thinking maybe you could make some sort of group quest, that's kind of like a dungeon, that you can't make it through without someone having water breathing, or safefall other, or accelerando, stuff like that. I don't know how this would work though, as people would just dig or build through everything. :p Would need some kind of adventure mode thing, but would be pretty fun, though I guess a region would work right?

Maybe have a series of clues in books hidden throughout the world that leads to some kind of reward. An NPC could give you the first clue. Maybe make the clues based on landmarks on the server. I can't give you specific examples because I'm somewhat new. :D Maybe a trip to one significant landmark in all the current major cities!

Actually if there was some kind of way to put Adventure mode on the server, you could make some really badass dungeons for Herocraft, with all the variety and specialization in skills. It'd be cool if you could band together and go do some Dungeons for XP and loot. :)

I havn't really gotten to do any of the quests in the current game, so I'm not really familiar with the limitations of the system, but I'd love to give my input whenever I can. I'm loving Herocraft. :D

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
It's not really the raw ideas for the quests I need help with it's the story behind them. I'm useless when it comes to creative writing.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
victim130 Is a good writer, but he is probably too busy with his fan fic :p
I'd love to help out, I mean I tried to help the Lore and Balance teams, but no one ever likes my ideas or "No sorry that won't work."

I have a few base ideas, but what exact style of story we looking for to back these? Can it be player, town or kingdom based? Does it have to follow current lore or can I make up lore for it? Also what can we do with the quests? Danda

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I'd love to help out, I mean I tried to help the Lore and Balance teams, but no one ever likes my ideas or "No sorry that won't work."

I have a few base ideas, but what exact style of story we looking for to back these? Can it be player, town or kingdom based? Does it have to follow current lore or can I make up lore for it? Also what can we do with the quests? Danda
The quest system is very versatile and I can probably do a fair amount of things with it. But current limitations are as follows, I can't do anything regarding:
  • the NPC receiving damage
  • The player cannot be detected leaving the area.
(Above is things I can think of off the top of my head. There may be more)
As for story try and keep it within the current lore which there isn't really that much tbh since most of the past lore is based around the map it was written on.

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
A man at a home in spawn yells you down as you walk past him. His girlfriend has left him when she saw him with a different woman! The man then explains to you that he was simply buying her an engagement ring! He asks for your help, and you, being an ever benevolent HeroCraft player, oblige. He instructs you to carry the ring he bought her (a diamond) to a certain building or place where the woman is. He asks you to explain the situation to the woman and present her with the wedding ring. At this point, a few things could happen:
  1. The woman says, "Thank you!" and gives you a reward.
  2. The woman gives you a letter (paper) and asks you to run it back to the man. The man is very pleased and gives you a reward.
  3. The woman instructs you to visit her mother's house and acquire their family heirloom wedding dress. Of course, this home would be in a dark cave where there are tons of mobs, and you have to fight your way through the cave to get there. Once at the home, the mother could give you the dress (white dyed leather chest plate) and you have to run it back to the woman. The woman would then thank you profusely and you would get your reward.
Obviously, the first to are far more feasable both in execution and the players actually doing them. I would elect for the second one, and have it be on the larger side in terms of XP bonus (think the "Wounded Man" quest).
I'm glad you are thinking of adding some more quests, the bones, leather, and fish ones have gotten stale.​

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I've been wanting to add more for ages now but I've been drawing blanks for story. I've got loads of ideas for things if I had additional plugins to give me more variety in mobs/NPC but none of them work with heroes to a good enough level.

Ellron23
All 3 of those endings are entirely possible in terms of construction and scripting of the quest. Though it wouldn't make much sense for her mother's house to be in a cave surrounded by mobs lol.

chvia

Stone
Ok Danda I know you and me have talked about this in the past. I, for one, simply don't have the time to do the Denizen coding as I am in high school (real important), but if it just a story board team you are looking for I could whip up a pretty good plot line. All I need to know is what you have in mind, turning-point-wise. If there are any villainous characters involved or if NPCs will be available. I hope I can help. -CV-

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
Danda (Sorry, I can't seem to get the tagging system to work on my phone) That last one was a stretch, haha. I looked at some of the sample Denizen scripts and they don't seem to difficult, albeit time consuming, so I might be able to help out a bit in that respect. As far as writing more quests, they should all be better than that first one I did above.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Is it possible to make special area's just for quests? If So, then here's go nothing. Also, I haven't read the herocraft fan fiction so i can't make it historically accurate.

The adventure Of Bastion ... (High cooldown, Higherish level, group perhaps?)

As you leave the safety of bastion, you see a old, beaten down traveler asking for a few spare coins. As you throw a few pennies in the bucket, he looks up and you see a twinkle in his eyes. He asks you. "What is you're name boy," ,
you answer, "Well, if you strong, young man would like to help an old bloke, I have a few task for you. I have a special need for some some string, bones, and Sulpher ( Some insane amount, like 4-5 stacks each?). In exchange for this i will give you a few magical rocks!"

(As you may guess, you go out and get these items,) 'You deliver the items', "Thank you boy! Here the rocks as promised." 'You are handed a few enderpearls { ;) } "If you would like to help me more I know of a hidden fort of undead forces guarding a treasure, a map! Once you retrieve this map for me, I will tell you to what it is for."

Now, It would be cool if you get TP'ed to a special world or area designated for this area. This fort would have chests hidden, and would have a few ways of completing it, by force or sneakiness the same NPC would be here as well, so he can tell you what to do. Maybe throw in a few withers in there?? Or Oinkzombs.

"Ah, I thought you would show up! This fortress is guarded my many hundreds of undead, so you have two choices of doing this, using the magic rocks i gave you, you can try and get to the treasure room. But beware! There is a mighty lord, now long gone, guarding it! So be ready for a fight!"

"You made it out alive!!! I am very much impressed. Now that you have brought me this artifact, I believe you deserve to know who I really am. I am the Map maker of the DragonGuard of old, I survived the dragons attack and made it here. After I fled the old stronghold, I hid the royal map of all of land land surrounding DragonGuard, as well a the last know portal there this is why you saw so many undead guarding it. Because of this cursed old age i have forgoten the route and such, so i have been waiting for the right hero to come and help me reclaim the ancient Stronghold of DragonGuard!!! The riches the riches that the dragons must have gather aught to be staggering!! The wealth that would follow the reclaiming of the Castle would be tremendous. But hear now, the portal is not easily opened. But I,thankfully, remember the order and amount of special ingredients. There are these stars that drop off of withers, this is one of the ingredients. Bring me one and I will tell you the rest."

(Sorry for the wall of text)

"Now, the final parts of the puzzle! I will need many emeralds, gold helms, buckets of lava, skeleton heads and magic rocks. ( ;) Good thing if you didn't do the sneaky path, the easier) Bring these to me and we will discuss more."

'mindless grinding, mindless grinding and a lot of running'

"Thank goodness you came! A group of bandits came and stole all of my belongings! Quick, they mustn't have gotten far!" ( I Don't know how this will work out, but maybe set up an algorithm that have a percentage chance for completing the quest by doing bounties? )

'You see seek for the bandits and when you find them, you notice the map maker, when you get close one of the bandits points at you, he around, and grin's sinister grin. "Hello my friend, welcome to my humble abode, 'he does a low bow' You see, I have been planing this for a very long time, I knew where the map was a long time ago, I didn't want to risk my friends here so i waited patiently until the right moment. And now, i have the most famed hero in all the lands right where I want him! What a treasure hunt. I can hold you for ransom AND get the treasure of DragonGuard."

'Disheartened, you subdue, giving in to the wicked master mind. as he takes you to a prison cell, you head hung low, you pass another cell, with some one in it. Sleeping it looked like. As the guard lets you in you the chamber, you see a pair hands and long, cragly, grey hair. You make nothing of it and go to sleep quickly. You wake up to the sound of a cough, and get up, no guard. Semi recovered from the shock of being tricked, you look for an escape route, and see the cell with the old man in it, you plan to get him out as well. You check the lock, and see its just a simple iron door, and place a piece of redstone on the floor connecting a torch on the wall to the door. 'Click!' Success! You get out and get to the cell with the old man, sleeping again. You open his cell door as well, and wake him up, you lead him out of the prison. Being stronger then he, you give hime your last bread, and carry him on your shoulder. You place him down for a little and go out to scout a little, you move out a little and see little trouble getting out. Little did you realize that in all the woods surrounding the camp, there were sentries looking out, and didn't see them till the last minute. Frustrated you look for a nearby river for cover and drink.'

'In the morning you wake up relaxed and refreshed, but the old man was missing! You quickly grab your weapon and jump to your feet, looking around quickly you see a small fire and pot steaming some sort of concoction, you carefully approach it very stealthily and looking all around, you hear a twig snap behind you swing your weapon in a 180' spin to face the intruder. The Map Maker!! Startled at his friendly smile you lose focus and lower your weapon, he says calmly' "Surprised to see me?" Still stunned you don't answer, "I thought you might be, You must not have recognized me when you broke me out, that other man? He is a master beguiler, skilled at all sorts of illusions and transformations he over heard everything I said to you and captured me, I thought we hear being evedropped so I hid the star in a concealed pouch in my clothes," 'Hands you star' "Now, i have been watching those sentries for a whiel and figured out there switching pattern, we can get out in 'looks at sky' !!!! we need to go now!! quick, we need to go, there will be only one sentry that we will have to get rid of so, it will not be hard."

'You escape with minimal bloodshed and loudness'

"Now, you ready to open that portal? Might as well go now, we should be able to get there by dark, just give me a couple minutes to get ready. Ok, lets go." 'The map maker places something in your pocket and tells you to not look now, you obey.'

"We need to find a place to rest for the night, its is further then i remember."

'In the morning you find no site of the map maker, and you remember the "Thing". You look in you pocketsess ( :) eh eh? Guess who?) Oh, all the items the Map Maker asked for, and a note.'

Dear hero,
The beguiler was listening, and was following me, the co-ordinance to the portal are X Y.
I left during the night to his him off the trail, he cannot get the treasure of
DragonGuard! There is more there then gold and silver, there is a magic that
mustn't meat the hand of the wrong person. I wish i could tell you, but if this
note was misplaced somehow, I do not want them to know everything.
I hope we meet again.
Theadray, The Map Maker.​
Thus ends the Adventure of bastion, and begins the Quest of DragonGuard!​
I didn't expect to turn this into a story but, i tend to do that when i have an idea, hope you like! I Dont have time to go over this and edit so bear with it please. I'll post the other idea I had Tobmoro.​

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Danda (Sorry, I can't seem to get the tagging system to work on my phone) That last one was a stretch, haha. I looked at some of the sample Denizen scripts and they don't seem to difficult, albeit time consuming, so I might be able to help out a bit in that respect. As far as writing more quests, they should all be better than that first one I did above.
Like I said in the OP I'm more than happy to write the actual scripts myself as long as I'm getting ideas in :p

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
arcanegrove
Hidden fort is entirely possible though instead of making a new world I'll probably just build it under bastion somewhere.
Completion by collecting bounties is not possible within the scripting.
All in all the whole thing seems possible and I'll start to work on that once I get back from holiday.