• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Pokemon X and Y

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
"cern" is a Gaulish word for antler.
Yep. Bears resemblance to "cervine", which is to deer as "canine" is to dogs, "Feline" to cats etc.
But then they made it start with X, and added an -eas to the end which contains an A. XerNeAs. Ergo XNA, ergo aliens.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
Well, Pokemon has officially ran out of gemstones and colors to use for names, it seems. :p

Anywho, these will be for the 3DS, coming out October of this year.

Trailer: Clicky!

Definitely opens up quite a few new options for design now that they've gone 3D. Fire starter, as usual, looks pretty good, and then that legendary seems pretty awesome as well. Now if only I had a 3DS...
Grrrrr :mad: I was just about to make this post!beat me by two days

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
Yep. Bears resemblance to "cervine", which is to deer as "canine" is to dogs, "Feline" to cats etc.
But then they made it start with X, and added an -eas to the end which contains an A. XerNeAs. Ergo XNA, ergo aliens.
Might be, might not be.
Another theory peeps have on the interwebs: X axis and Y axis. 3rd legendary, which we know is coming, the Z axis. Or another space-dimension one. *Shrug* Just passin' on information.

EDIT: I'm not a Nintendo spy planted into gaming communities at all. What are you talkign about. Pfffft.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Might be, might not be.
Another theory peeps have on the interwebs: X axis and Y axis. 3rd legendary, which we know is coming, the Z axis. Or another space-dimension one. *Shrug* Just passin' on information.

EDIT: I'm not a Nintendo spy planted into gaming communities at all. What are you talkign about. Pfffft.
I shudder because it's easy to make "X" and "Y" shaped pokemon, but a "Z" shaped pokemon? It better not be a thunderbolt, a snake, or a snake-like dragon. We've had too many. :O

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
I shudder because it's easy to make "X" and "Y" shaped pokemon, but a "Z" shaped pokemon? It better not be a thunderbolt, a snake, or a snake-like dragon. We've had too many. :O
Doesn't necessarily have to be Z shaped, if this theory is correct. Could be some sort of element, and then of course the name.

Also, Xerneas and Yveltal are the first Pokemon America has gotten the name and pronunciation before Japan.

ThatAintFalco

Portal
It could be like B/W and have a 2nd version of it. But instead of tacky names, gamefreak is encouraging us to learn algebra :D
x^2 y^2
The next version of 6th Gen

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
It could be like B/W and have a 2nd version of it. But instead of tacky names, gamefreak is encouraging us to learn algebra :D
x^2 y^2
The next version of 6th Gen
No... Please! Don't you dare square that X and Y over there! Algebra gaw!

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
I'm totally getting a 3DS and play Pokemon Y... then when people ask me what I'm playing...
"Hey, what are you playing?"
"Pokemon, why?"
"Which generation? :O"
"Y!"
"Because I want to know"
"I don't care what you want to know, I'm playing Y!"
"What? Stop confusing me!"
"You're confusing me! I'm literally playing Pokemon "Y"."
"Oh..."
"Hey, did you get the x?"
"My ex isn't here... why did you bring her up?"
"No, I meant the game!"
This was obviously their evil plan.

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
I'm totally getting a 3DS and play Pokemon Y... then when people ask me what I'm playing...
"Hey, what are you playing?"
"Pokemon, why?"
"Which generation? :O"
"Y!"
"Because I want to know"
"I don't care what you want to know, I'm playing Y!"
"What? Stop confusing me!"
"You're confusing me! I'm literally playing Pokemon "Y"."
"Oh..."
"Hey, did you get the x?"
"My ex isn't here... why did you bring her up?"
"No, I meant the game!"
This was obviously their evil plan.
Except the Gen. Name is VI / 6, not Y. :I

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
More speculation!

I joined Marriland, and whilst there, I found this: Click me!

And also found this: Click me, too!

Quotes with them, in order:
Marriland User said:
Hello fellow trainers! I decided to look a bit more into what legend(s) these guys might be based off of and I think I may have found something. Of course, I would be happy to share my findings.

As it stands, I believe these Pokemon correlate with the myth of Yggdrasil, the World Tree. This myth is Norse in origin and is befitting of this region in particular since the Viking warriors conquered and settled on the northern coast of France; hence why the beach is called Normandy.

Anyway, when searching for mythology including both a deer and an eagle, I happened upon this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil) on Wikipedia explaining the myth in detail. As it turns out, there are several creatures that inhabit the World Tree, the most notable of which were an eagle which lived in the sky, four deer which made their homes among the trees, and a dragon which feasted upon Yggdrasil's roots.

While it seemed promising, the correlations between the Pokemon and the myth were circumstantial at best. So, I did a bit more comparing until I noticed a few things about the stag Pokemon's design. (http://www.serebii.net/legends.png) There are a few interesting things to note about its appearance, the first of which are its antlers. When compared with a normal deer or a Pokemon like Sawsbuck, it appears that this Pokemon has four individual sets of antlers with corresponding colored jewels for each set. In addition, these antlers are much longer than normal and appear very branch-like. Because of these design cues, it would be safe to infer that the Pokemon's design is indeed referencing the four stags as well as the branches of the tree from which they fed. It is also worth noting that when the stag Pokemon appears, it is standing in front of an unusually large tree trunk.

Now this is part pure speculation, but based on the Rule of Three that legendary Pokemon seem to follow, there may be a third legendary Pokemon that has yet to be revealed. If this is true and my theory holds some amount of credence, then it would be safe to say that the third Pokemon would represent the dragon present in Yggdrasil's myth. Somewhat supporting this train of thought is the other theory floating around that the version names for the new games, X & Y, supposedly represent two of the three axes that govern the three dimensions of space. The remaining axis, Z, would require a representative Pokemon, one that could contour its body to resemble the shape of the letter. The only mythical creatures that come to mind which are capable of doing so are either snakes or dragons. According to its article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Níðhöggr), the dragon, Níðhöggr (Nidhogg), is described to have serpent-like qualities which would make a Pokemon based upon its existence a perfect candidate for the legendary trifecta.
Anyway, this is about as much information as I've gathered and connected from what we've been shown. It's not exactly rock solid, but there's definitely cohesiveness to it. I guess we'll know if my theory has any credence as more information about the game is revealed.

Other Site said:
There are a lot of theories going around as to what the significance is behind Pokémon X and Y Versions’ names and the designs of the two featured Pokémon. At this point, we’re all aware that X, Y, and Z are the axes of a three-dimensional plane, fitting for Pokémon‘s first main-series foray onto Nintendo 3DS. But everything we’ve seen about the design of these creatures is far too intricate to be so shallow.
A user on Tumblr featured by Kotaku seems to think they allude to the endoderm, ectoderm, and mesoderm, the types of cell formations from which animals develop, but offers little explanation. Laura from KimikoGaming, on the other hand, has a bit more defendable of a point: Pokémon X and Y Versions are based on Norse mythology. Not Thor and Loki the way Marvel depicts them, but the original beliefs held by the Germanic peoples who looked to the skies and saw the land of Asgard.
In Norse mythology, the Tree of the World, Yggdrasil, is located at the center of the universe and holds the nine worlds together through its roots. While X, Y, and Z represent the three axes on a 3D plane, they also represent the three encompassing realms held by Yggdrasil: Asgard, Midgard, and Niflheim. Each of the nine worlds held by these realms is home to a different race and is located in a different area of the tree. Most importantly, each of the three encompassing realms is represented by a different animal.
yggdrasil.jpg
Asgard, home to the gods, is the first of these worlds. Asgard is located at the top of Yggdrasil, also home to a divine eagle. This eagle is said to be blind, but graced with the ability to see into the souls of all Yggdrasil’s creatures from all nine realms. The majestic Yveltal reminds us of this eagle due to its avian features and “legendary” powers. Furthermore, as people and animals go blind, their eyes tend to develop a tinge of blue. Yveltal’s eyes are a shocking light blue, as seen in the game’s trailer, implying that it may be blind and/or have the ability to see into the souls of people and Pokémon.
Descending Yggdrasil, the next world we encounter is Midgard, the world of the mortals. Midgard is home to four stags with branch-shaped horns as high as Yggdrasil itself. Each of these four stags houses a different-colored jewel in its horns—red, blue, yellow, and purple. As we can see between the two official depictions of Xerneas, the creature has all four of these colors inside its tall, branch-shaped horns, which would appear to represent all four mythical stags in one.
But the roots of Yggdrasil are certainly the most interesting to this theory, especially in the context of understanding the story of Generation VI. The roots of Yggdrasil hold together the remaining seven realms, and along those roots slithers a serpent-like dragon, trapped by the tree’s roots from the rest of the universe. This dragon, Niohoggr, gnaws on the roots of Yggdrasil as it crawls across Niflheim, the land which houses Hel, Realm of the Dead. Could the third Pokémon in this new legendary trio be a serpent coiling its body in the shape of a Z? Much like how Yveltal and Xerneas represent concepts akin to Heaven and Earth, could this mysterious third Pokémon represent Hell?
What’s also intriguing about this theory is how well it ties into the already understood ideas of the 3D plane. Yveltal of Asgard represents the Y-axis through its large wings and gift of flight. Meanwhile, Xerneas of Midgard is restricted to the ground by its lack of wings, forced only to walk horizontally the surface of the Earth, or the X-axis, if you will. The third Pokémon, based on Niohoggr, can be assumed to crawl back and forth across the roots of this tree, which spread in all directions. Much like how the Z-axis can be placed anywhere among the X and Y axes to form a 3D plane, the roots of Yggdrasil are not bound by a constant height.
pokemonxy-tree.png
There was a scene in the official trailer showing the game’s protagonist swinging from rope to rope high in a large tree, as pictured to the left. This could always be a Grass-type Gym, but is it also possible that this tree is the home to X and Y‘s legendary Pokémon, much like Spear Pillar or Dragonspiral Tower?
Is this theory ludicrous, or is it all too coincidental to ignore? Would you be excited to see a serpent as the third legendary Pokémon in the potential Z Version?

TL;DR - Yggdrasil, maybe? Yveltal is a bird that resides in Asgard (Skies), Xerneas a Stag that represents the 4 stags of Midgard (Earth), and then the third will be based off of Nidhogg, a serpent around the roots of the World Tree (Not stopped by certain level). So, these could work for X, Y, Z co-ord plane, too.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
More speculation!

TL;DR - Yggdrasil, maybe? Yveltal is a bird that resides in Asgard (Skies), Xerneas a Stag that represents the 4 stags of Midgard (Earth), and then the third will be based off of Nidhogg, a serpent around the roots of the World Tree (Not stopped by certain level). So, these could work for X, Y, Z co-ord plane, too.
Norse mythology ftw.

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
More speculation!

Seems very logical, can't wait to see what they release next!

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
So, I'm gonna reboot this again as more information has come up, and will be tomorrow. Gonna keep a log of it for reference in the OP, too.

Dazureus and leftovers5 - Y'all seemed more interested in this, so tagged!

What we know:
  • Starter Pokemon have been released!
    • Fire Type: Fennekin
      • Speculation: Second Type: Psychic?
    • Water Type: Froakie
      • Speculation: Second Type: Fighting?
    • Grass Type: Chespin
      • Speculation: Second Type: Dark?
  • Main Legendaries have been released!
    • "Pokemon X" - Xerneas
    • "Pokemon Y" - Yveltal
  • New Eeveelution revealed!
    • Sylveon! Type: Unknown
  • Game Name Possibilities!
    • Genetics
    • Dimensions of Coordinate Plane
    • Norse Mythology - Yggdrasil

Rumors!
  • Mewtwo - New form?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
So, I'm gonna reboot this again as more information has come up, and will be tomorrow. Gonna keep a log of it for reference in the OP, too.

Dazureus and leftovers5 - Y'all seemed more interested in this, so tagged!

What we know:
  • Starter Pokemon have been released!
    • Fire Type: Fennekin
      • Speculation: Second Type: Psychic?
    • Water Type: Froakie
      • Speculation: Second Type: Fighting?
    • Grass Type: Chespin
      • Speculation: Second Type: Dark?
  • Main Legendaries have been released!
    • "Pokemon X" - Xerneas
    • "Pokemon Y" - Yveltal
  • New Eeveelution revealed!
    • Sylveon! Type: Unknown
  • Game Name Possibilities!
    • Genetics
    • Dimensions of Coordinate Plane
    • Norse Mythology - Yggdrasil
There's some rumors about an alternative form of Mewtwo. In my opinion, it makes great sense considering the focus on genetics, and is a great throwback. They're some pictures of the new Mewtwo floating around, and it is speculated that he might be the "Z" pokemon.

I hope that that is the the secondary types for Fennekin. God knows we don't need another Fire/Fighting starter. I would be sort of annoyed with a Water/Fighting frog pokemon when we already have Poliwrath (another frog) with the same two types, as well as with a Grass/Dark pokemon when we already have Shrifty/Cacturne.

Sylveon in my opinion will either be Normal or Flying, or possibly both. No way it's going to be Bug or some of the other crazy suggestions.

I probably won't end up getting X/Y because I don't want to get just one game to justify a 3DS.

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
There's some rumors about an alternative form of Mewtwo. In my opinion, it makes great sense considering the focus on genetics, and is a great throwback. They're some pictures of the new Mewtwo floating around, and it is speculated that he might be the "Z" pokemon.

I hope that that is the the secondary types for Fennekin. God knows we don't need another Fire/Fighting starter. I would be sort of annoyed with a Water/Fighting frog pokemon when we already have Poliwrath (another frog) with the same two types, as well as with a Grass/Dark pokemon when we already have Shrifty/Cacturne.

Sylveon in my opinion will either be Normal or Flying, or possibly both. No way it's going to be Bug or some of the other crazy suggestions.

I probably won't end up getting X/Y because I don't want to get just one game to justify a 3DS.
Oooohhhhh I knew I was forgetting something there, with Mewtwo. Adding that rumor~