• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Let's Not Enable TNT in Regions

Predator2010

Legacy Supporter 3
So.. we give raiders the ability to loot every non-LWC chest in a town?

It would make raiding alot fairer, When they implement the new "Catapult skill" Just set it to have say a 1hour cooldown so once they blow up one segement of wall or one of two blocks of a chest they cant use it again... It wouldnt allow players to loot EVERY chest in a town, just one or two.... Plus the chests can be behind LWC'd doors so theyre protected.... or encase them in obsid... multiple ways to avoid it, even put them underground ?

LWCs really aren't that expensive. Just make more LWC'd chests!

Touché

I'm t8 and can have like 20 lwcs at a greatly reduced price, but my new town members don't. We have multiple storage rooms setup so our newbs can have access to food, weapons, tools, etc... These are are blocked by dirt on the top. It is unrealistic to maintain 20 lwcs with adding new people's names to it on a daily basis just so the raiders can't screw over the newbs again by taking all their stuff.

Safe chests is a principle of a town - with that being in question whats the point of having towns ? TnT is very common and I myself could make a double chest full if I was able to place it and personally rob any 1 town completely by myself - especially if I log in at 4am when none of them are online to defend it. If TnT can blasts any block and uncover chests I see towns dying and players leaving by the dozens. I don't mind TnT blowing holes in walls to allow raids thats fine, but allowing free access to everyone's chests is unfair and a major game changer - and not for the better.

And if they affect personal regions, then they better better affect ALL plots in Spawn too - personal and trade district as they are just personal regions that anyone (non-donors) can rent.

In which case give the new players undergound plots like we do in NW, far below the surface, say 9 or 10 floors they are safe, TNT will only be used once to get into ONE wall or such, and after that theyre rendered useless, LWCs are not that expensive you can get two or threes cost in one mining trip.

Im saing TNT should be allowed to be used once every few hours to allow raiders access to towns that are un-accesible, I.E: Emberhollow.

The idea behind TNT is just to allow people to gain acess to towns via walls, im not arguing that they should be allowed to blow up the blocks ontop of chests too gain access, im saying they should be able to destroy walls, if it can be made so blocks ontop of chests can NOT be destroyed with the ability or just TNT im all for it.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
It would make raiding alot fairer, When they implement the new "Catapult skill" Just set it to have say a 1hour cooldown so once they blow up one segement of wall or one of two blocks of a chest they cant use it again... It wouldnt allow players to loot EVERY chest in a town, just one or two.... Plus the chests can be behind LWC'd doors so theyre protected.... or encase them in obsid... multiple ways to avoid it, even put them underground ?

What ''Catapult Skill''?

If TNT is only able to blow open one or two town walls, then people will just move their stuff further and further underground, so what's the point of TNT?

The more and more people hide their stuff underground, the more and more people complain that they can't get their precious loot in raids.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
I just read the Dev Diary about Runestones and down below it mentions the TnT block regen and block protection for all players. I'm just guessing here, but I bet every player will be able to buy (for lack of a better term) Personal Regions and they will be immune to TnT - thus eliminating our worries.

As for a timer on TnT or the regen time its hard to say - if the timer is per player then multiple raiders can 'stack' their TnT and blow deeper holes into towns so layering of 9-10 block thick walls, floors, whatever won't matter. The easy fix would be to create a new block (or use a seldom used block) that TnT cannot affect but breaks easily (like dirt) and either make it a player created block or purchase from DHX and this block on your chest will keep it safe.

Another issue will be if they blow a hole in a building and there is lava there and the lava destroys stuff will that be griefing ? Will the lava destroyed stuff regen ? Or is the owner of such items screwed ? I suppose all of this is moot until the Admins explain the TnT plan and what / won't it affect.

macura

Diamond
I remember that one time where we blew up the entirety of the eclipse undercity. That was funny and i hope tnt will be the same as that cuz fuck the police.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Chests are ment to be protected by the TNT. The dirt ontop of them however....

I was saying that it will be very difficult to remove the dirt without destroying the chest. The chest and dirt will regen later, but you won't be able to raid the chest while it's in its "temp nuked" state.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
I was saying that it will be very difficult to remove the dirt without destroying the chest. The chest and dirt will regen later, but you won't be able to raid the chest while it's in its "temp nuked" state.

What about the items in the chest ?

MajorasMask

Ungodly

Is it certain that people won't be able to open a chest in a ''nuked'' state, or that chests too will disappear like other blocks while ''nuked''?

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Is it certain that people won't be able to open a chest in a ''nuked'' state, or that chests too will disappear like other blocks while ''nuked''?

I'm pretty sure the chest disappears. LWC'd chests don't disappear, but they can't be opened anyway.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I'm pretty sure the chest disappears. LWC'd chests don't disappear, but they can't be opened anyway.

Does it say this anywhere? I was under the impression that chests will always remain, but if the dirt was removed from the top of the chest then raiders can open it...

This will be too much and then not even town would be even semisafe to build in this would make this server hard to play in and cut the amount of people that are more weekend players to loose everything during the week and not play on this server anymore please don't make this change it will be a terrible idea

Myaras

Gold
As a RPer, I like the idea of TnT. The ability to raid (and to defend against a raid) is an integral part of the entire experience of living in the Herocraft world. However, as a newbie, I fear that anyone with a stack of TnT can blow through walls and acquire what little I have (since I'm still too new to afford an LWC). I've already been annoyed being killed by a 65 (multiple times) while I was an un-spec'ed Healer trying to figure the game out. I'm lucky he didn't take my stuff, although he could have (and thanks to the server rules, he was within his rights to).

If you want to encourage growth, giving the "old guard" yet another way to screw with newbies and knock them further back to square one (i.e., taking their "safe" chests rather than just taking whatever's in their inventory) is not the way to do it. I'm not saying baby newbies like me, but giving them a small area that can't be affected by stuff like TnT will allow them to learn the game and get to the upper levels that y'all currently inhabit...which will make for more epic raids, greater PvP fights, and some pretty awesome army vs. army combat.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
This will be too much and then not even town would be even semisafe to build in this would make this server hard to play in and cut the amount of people that are more weekend players to loose everything during the week and not play on this server anymore please don't make this change it will be a terrible idea

The answer: LWCs.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
The answer: LWCs.

As a RPer, I like the idea of TnT. The ability to raid (and to defend against a raid) is an integral part of the entire experience of living in the Herocraft world. However, as a newbie, I fear that anyone with a stack of TnT can blow through walls and acquire what little I have (since I'm still too new to afford an LWC). I've already been annoyed being killed by a 65 (multiple times) while I was an un-spec'ed Healer trying to figure the game out. I'm lucky he didn't take my stuff, although he could have (and thanks to the server rules, he was within his rights to).

If you want to encourage growth, giving the "old guard" yet another way to screw with newbies and knock them further back to square one (i.e., taking their "safe" chests rather than just taking whatever's in their inventory) is not the way to do it. I'm not saying baby newbies like me, but giving them a small area that can't be affected by stuff like TnT will allow them to learn the game and get to the upper levels that y'all currently inhabit...which will make for more epic raids, greater PvP fights, and some pretty awesome army vs. army combat.

I think this is very well put.

Predator2010

Legacy Supporter 3
What ''Catapult Skill''?

If TNT is only able to blow open one or two town walls, then people will just move their stuff further and further underground, so what's the point of TNT?

The more and more people hide their stuff underground, the more and more people complain that they can't get their precious loot in raids.

Dev team are working on a skill that allows regioned walls to be destroyed for around 5 seconds before all the blocks restore themselves to original state, I believe.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
You will not thrive/grow without joining a town. Just do it. Don't try to go it alone (for too long) out there. If you MUST go it alone, you will NEED an LWC. That's just the way this server works.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
That wasn't a real sentence.

Does it say this anywhere? I was under the impression that chests will always remain, but if the dirt was removed from the top of the chest then raiders can open it...

Ok so let me clear some things up.

You cannot place TNT within regions, but TNT will blow regioned areas up. This means you can use TNT cannons to blow up someones town walls, and/or undercity. The only things TNT will not blow up within a town region are LWC'd chests and Obsidian. TNT cannot destroy an LWC chest.

It will technically be possible to blow up "only" the dirt block above a chest within a town region. If this happens, raiders will be able to loot the items from the chest. Now, because you are dealing with TNT cannons and not direct TNT placement, it will be difficult to accomplish this. However, it WILL be possible.

Now let's say that TNT blows up the chest itself. If this occurs, the items will be 100% safe, but for a short amount of time, the chest will not be there. When the regioned area regenerates, it will place the chest back where it was before, and then place the items into the chest just as they were before.

One thing you guys aren't necessarily considering is the fact that obsidian is unbreakable. While LWC chests will be the ultimate 100% protection, an alternative source of protection is to place obsidian blocks above your valuable chests that cannot be LWC'd.

Now, if we end up making obsidian destroyable via TNT, then you're all doomed. The only protection you will have is LWC's. This is really something we need to discuss more internally before we decide however.

Predator2010

Legacy Supporter 3
One thing you guys aren't necessarily considering is the fact that obsidian is unbreakable. While LWC chests will be the ultimate 100% protection, an alternative source of protection is to place obsidian blocks above your valuable chests that cannot be LWC'd.

As i mentioned in a previous post, i did suggest the Obsidian alternative, but it was just overlooked, so thankyou for bringing that back into context delf. :)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We are revamping our entire protection system.
I want to provide "regions" to all members so that they can create a small area to live without constant threat of grief. This small area WILL cost coins and (hopefully, have an unkeep/decay on it).

I believe that we have the power and knowledge to please and make systems attractive to all users. I do not wish to support the immediate dismissal of a new player simply because someone has been around longer.

Please note that the only achievable way to "use" tnt is by placing it into a player-made cannon and aiming it at the walls of an opposing township. Townships want to ensure that their protection / walls are not at the "edge" so players cant simple place / destroy it.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Lets look at facts:

TNT cannot be placed in a regioned area that is not your own. So unless the walls of your town are at your border (if so, you're an idiot), then it'll be a pretty hard time to get inside of other people's personal regions, let alone having dirt blow off chests. One of the only viable ways of achieving this are TNT Cannons, and good luck aiming that with pin-point accuracy.

You need to remember that blown up blocks regenerate over time. This means that you'll have x amount of time to make your move once a hole is shot in a building/wall.

Everyone's painted scenario of towns being able to rob another town blind in the matter of minutes is laughable. The 'REAL' worry and likely scenario is that people will be setting marks in other people's town a lot more often. If said person is a wizard, then good luck with that problem. It's going to take strategy, luck, and numbers to rob a town blind. Find the weakest links in your town now and tell them to smarten up, because HeroCraft just became a little more dangerous.

Watch out everyone, Umbra is coming on/for you.[DOUBLEPOST=1372262852,1372262716][/DOUBLEPOST]Kainzo beat me to it by a minute :p