• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

ALERT Herocraft 4.0 - A new hope! Sept 7th

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I'm not gonna read the entire thing, but this "greylist" means that i wont be able to play until i give you money to get whitelisted, is that correct?
Greylist means everyone can play. Only wihtelisted members who have passed application status will be able to build/speak in global chat.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I think you guys are missing something as you speculate about town size. Kainzo said two thing in his original post. 1. Towns will be larger. 2. Towns will be claimed by chunk. That means that the origanal size means nothing. It also means that the town doen't necessarily need to be square at all.

The changes are being made to encourage larger, open feeling towns, instead of the cubes we saw last map. I beilve that is why the per chunk claiming is being implemented. To encourage people to build flowing, open, elegant towns.

The real question is how many chunks we will get per town size. I have worked with other town systems before, that have claimed this way. They have all been population based ie xchunks per 1 citizen and number of citizens= town type. Kainzo will likely issue chunks based on town size due to the town system we have. It is not likely however that he will require you to claim these chunks in a square. Yes you will claim your own chunks in the new system of that I am certain.[DOUBLEPOST=1345815129,1345814563][/DOUBLEPOST]
Greylist means everyone can play. Only wihtelisted members who have passed application status will be able to build/speak in global chat.

I like it.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I think you guys are missing something as you speculate about town size. Kainzo said two thing in his original post. 1. Towns will be larger. 2. Towns will be claimed by chunk. That means that the origanal size means nothing. It also means that the town doen't necessarily need to be square at all.

The changes are being made to encourage larger, open feeling towns, instead of the cubes we saw last map. I beilve that is why the per chunk claiming is being implemented. To encourage people to build flowing, open, elegant towns.

The real question is how many chunks we will get per town size. I have worked with other town systems before, that have claimed this way. They have all been population based ie xchunks per 1 citizen and number of citizens= town type. Kainzo will likely issue chunks based on town size due to the town system we have. It is not likely however that he will require you to claim these chunks in a square. Yes you will claim your own chunks in the new system of that I am certain.[DOUBLEPOST=1345815129,1345814563][/DOUBLEPOST]

I like it.
Correct. We don't want players to feel forced to build a cube, we want them to build how they want to. I am working hard on getting mayors extra (and cheaper LWC's) if it boils down to it, we may just place mayors (by hand) in a specific group to have them get cheaper LWC's)

The town claim actually claims the chunks around the mayor so its not done by hand, its done all at once. It actually grants protection from other towns being formed near you automatically because it buffs an extra 100 blocks (or 5-6 chunks) around the town.

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
Correct. We don't want players to feel forced to build a cube, we want them to build how they want to. I am working hard on getting mayors extra (and cheaper LWC's) if it boils down to it, we may just place mayors (by hand) in a specific group to have them get cheaper LWC's)

The town claim actually claims the chunks around the mayor so its not done by hand, its done all at once. It actually grants protection from other towns being formed near you automatically because it buffs an extra 100 blocks (or 5-6 chunks) around the town.

So then what will our chunk dimensions be? Would be nice to be able to plan something out or is it going to be 1 chunk per 1 citizen?

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Towny, which is a very popular sytem for town management issues 8 chunks per resident, modifiable by admins. This would be too much long term for a HC town given the number of players on server. It would be a good starting point however.

My suggestion would be this. 40 chunks initial claim for a hamlet (thats 8 chunks per resident based on 5 req res to start) and an additional 10 chunks upon aquiring ea 10 additional residents with a limit of 60 chunks in all for hamlets. Upgrading to a town would get you to 80 chunks with a max of say 120 using the same increase system. Each consecutive upgrade would result in a similar expansion. Another possibility would be to give a 10 or even 20 chunk bonus to hamlets and towns that are part of Kingdoms or Empires.

I think a system of this nature would encourage sprawling towns that expand with population as well as encouraging Kingdoms to develop. What do you think @Kainzo?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Towny, which is a very popular sytem for town management issues 8 chunks per resident, modifiable by admins. This would be too much long term for a HC town given the number of players on server. It would be a good starting point however.

My suggestion would be this. 40 chunks initial claim for a hamlet (thats 8 chunks per resident based on 5 req res to start) and an additional 10 chunks upon aquiring ea 10 additional residents with a limit of 60 chunks in all for hamlets. Upgrading to a town would get you to 80 chunks with a max of say 120 using the same increase system. Each consecutive upgrade would result in a similar expansion. Another possibility would be to give a 10 or even 20 chunk bonus to hamlets and towns that are part of Kingdoms or Empires.

I think a system of this nature would encourage sprawling towns that expand with population as well as encouraging Kingdoms to develop. What do you think @Kainzo?
That's why we have "tiers" of townships - its a bit less dynamic but still offers expanding town goals to strive for... we just may have to make them more reasonable, coin wise.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
That's why we have "tiers" of townships - its a bit less dynamic but still offers expanding town goals to strive for... we just may have to make them more reasonable, coin wise.

I agree with making them more affordable and I have another suggestion. Perhaps we could make it affordable to start a town with 9 chunks being the initial claim and a set limit based on town size. Towns could purchase additional chunks as they can afford them up to the limit for that size town. Setting a high price on these additional chunks would mean towns would need an active resident base in order to provide the taxes necessary to grow.

EDIT: By we I of course mean you, I am a nobody.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
newmapaug1.jpg

Huh? August 1st?

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Kainzo did say it will most likely remain gold, but I can't find the post for the life of me!