• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Gold vs. Emerald

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
My question for Kainzo, is how does he stop from killing all the Villagers when he uses butcher? >_>

Would this mean that Villger eggs will be easy to acquire?

It only takes one jerk to kill them all.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
My question for Kainzo, is how does he stop from killing all the Villagers when he uses butcher? >_>

Would this mean that Villger eggs will be easy to acquire?

It only takes one jerk to kill them all.

Allowing the distribution of villager eggs, to me, would really give that one extra push that a few players want to be able to privately gain as many emeralds as possible. I can see it now: people will make huge automatic farms, harvest the materials and then gain tons of emeralds.

If NPCs were only found in markets however...

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
Allowing the distribution of villager eggs, to me, would really give that one extra push that a few players want to be able to privately gain as many emeralds as possible. I can see it now: people will make huge automatic farms, harvest the materials and then gain tons of emeralds.

If NPCs were only found in markets however...

And not affected by /butcher

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
Merchants will run the towns, own the plots, be the only people specced, ect (if an emerald-only currency is introduced).

The thing is, that's a big if. And unless there are easy ways to restrict trades so that they have a cooldown or the type of trade itself deteriorates if you make multiple trades within a certain time period, it doesn't look like an emerald-based currency is plausible.

Either make emeralds worth 1c to DHX and gold its normal 8-10c, or keep the gold standard.

If emeralds are given a DHX value, then that means that their actual worth in the economy will always have a price ceiling. If emeralds aren't given a DHX value, then eventually we'll encounter a massive influx of emeralds in the economy and they'll be worth next to nothing because, you know, anybody with a bit of cooked beef can walk up to a villager and make a bit of profit in emeralds. If emeralds aren't given a DHX value, then villagers need to be restricted so that only Merchants can trade with them. It makes sense both lore-wise and economically.

"But then that'll make Merchants OP!"

Not if we actually balance the other crafter classes out and make them useful. *cough Miner cough*

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Yeah... going to see if we can find methods to limit the trading - or we'll just keep emeralds at 1c.
This is why we wanted to let people know about the new map - so we can fix issues like this before the new map.

What about physical currency. If you have to carry the emeralds around with you it might limit this some what. As for the coins earned from voting you could convert them to emerald in the admin shop or use them for towns wich will still need credits.

We tried physical currency on my last server, despite many people railing that it would destroy the economy, with gold nugget =1c and it worked quite well. Emerald=1c and physical currency would be a splendid addition to Herocraft.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
What about physical currency. If you have to carry the emeralds around with you it might limit this some what. As for the coins earned from voting you could convert them to emerald in the admin shop or use them for towns wich will still need credits.

We tried physical currency on my last server, despite many people railing that it would destroy the economy, with gold nugget =1c and it worked quite well. Emerald=1c and physical currency would be a splendid addition to Herocraft.

Physical currency is kinda hard to use when you have to buy thinks over 10,000c.

agentjwall

Godly
Make it so only Merchants have the ability to trade with villagers.
woah, woah, woah, guys. Don't shut down an idea without considering it first. I think this could actually be a good way to stimulate the economy and help prevent that wretched deinflation. Merchants are one of the more underplayed professions (ignoring miner and engineer) since items were so easy to come by that no merchant wanted to buy and no customer wanted to buy what merchants sold. If merchants could purchase materials then sell them to villagers, it could increase the use of trading since people could grind for materials and sell them to ther merchants who would resell them for a small profit. It could definitely be possible...

MajorasMask

Ungodly
woah, woah, woah, guys. Don't shut down an idea without considering it first. I think this could actually be a good way to stimulate the economy and help prevent that wretched deinflation. Merchants are one of the more underplayed professions (ignoring miner and engineer) since items were so easy to come by that no merchant wanted to buy and no customer wanted to buy what merchants sold. If merchants could purchase materials then sell them to villagers, it could increase the use of trading since people could grind for materials and sell them to ther merchants who would resell them for a small profit. It could definitely be possible...

Giving only merchants the ability to trade with villagers would be cool! :p It would give them more use, I guess.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Apparently you weren't a merchant or were too greedy to trade with anyone.

ThatAintFalco

Portal
I think emerald should be used as high class currency. The items used to get emerald from villagers is quite sad "cough paper cough". I'd say that they should be priced for around 250c? I saw a youtube in a ultra hard core compaction get like 6 emeralds in an hour. Maybe less on the price. But gold 4 ever

Davros_

Web Developer
Legacy Supporter 9
I have not read the whole thread, just the first page, but here is my suggestion:

First, disable villager trading (or at least change it from emeralds to something else.) If it is left in, people will just be able to farm currency which will severely fuck the economy up.

Next, when the map is pre-rendered, place emeralds in the ground in the same way all other ores are generated. This shouldn't be hard to do, just reverse-engineer the other ore spawning classes. You could set the rarity and vein size while doing this to balance it with gold (if gold is kept as a secondary currency).

Honestly though I dislike the idea of using emeralds as currency - gold has always been the symbol of money both in real life and in most RPGs.

The main point is - take emeralds out of villager trading. It will cause hyperinflation as more villagers are exploited - eventually making emeralds completely worthless.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I have not read the whole thread, just the first page, but here is my suggestion:

First, disable villager trading (or at least change it from emeralds to something else.) If it is left in, people will just be able to farm currency which will severely fuck the economy up.

Next, when the map is pre-rendered, place emeralds in the ground in the same way all other ores are generated. This shouldn't be hard to do, just reverse-engineer the other ore spawning classes. You could set the rarity and vein size while doing this to balance it with gold (if gold is kept as a secondary currency).

Honestly though I dislike the idea of using emeralds as currency - gold has always been the symbol of money both in real life and in most RPGs.

The main point is - take emeralds out of villager trading. It will cause hyperinflation as more villagers are exploited - eventually making emeralds completely worthless.
I have coded a skill that allows ONLY Merchants (55) to trade with Villagers.

Davros_

Web Developer
Legacy Supporter 9
I have coded a skill that allows ONLY Merchants (55) to trade with Villagers.
I don't see how that would help. So a few players grind to 55, then they're able to trade easily renewable resources that have no demand in the economy to villagers for unlimited emeralds. I think trading should be limited to real players, otherwise prices will be constantly inflating.

The only way it would work is if you severely limited what could be sold, how much it sold for, and put a very generous cooldown on it (like 24 hours). Even then I still don't really see the point - we have a REAL playerbase with REAL demand and a REAL economy, why do we need villager trading? It might be neat in SSP or small servers but I don't see it working on a large scale like this.

Just my 2¢.