• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Gold vs. Emerald

pandaman7

Legacy Supporter 3
Kainzo said:
Economy Changes:
Kainzo said:
Gold no longer trades for high coin.
Emerald is the new currency item.​
Do you think that gold should remain the currency of HC? Will emeralds be too easy to acquire with villagers? Should there be some sort of compromise where gold is worth 'x' amount and emeralds are worth 'y'?​

What do you guys think?

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
I kind of want gold to stay. Apparently emeralds are only found in certain biomes and can also be acquired from villagers very easily. Although it would be nice to see something new. :)

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I think gold is a much better physical currency as compared to emeralds. I don't like the biome-specificness of emerald ore, nor the randomness/ease of getting emeralds rapidly by scamming a villager. All around, gold ingots seem like the much better path here, and more RP oriented as well, no one has ever used emeralds as currency in real life or in games that I've seen.

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
Here's an idea.

In real life, we have multiple forms of currency. You've got pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollar bills, $5s, $10s, you get the point.

According to Minecraftwiki.net, gold and emerald both have relatively similar spawn rates (assuming that you're in an Extreme Hills biome, where emerald naturally spawns.) There are technically 8 land-based biomes (9, if you count Mushroom Islands,) which means that emeralds are technically eight times more valuable than gold.

It would be nice if, for the sake of keeping the economy in balance with the map's capabilities, we could rig villager trading so that it uses gold ingots, as opposed to emeralds. That way, emeralds become to most valuable currency, but not necessarily the only currency.

Thoughts?

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
My vote goes to keeping gold :)

It seems to make more sense with how some NPC trades are far in the favor of players.

Gold on the other hand is a very finite resource with the exception of pig zombies. (We all know how pig zombie raids go, lol)

RedEchoRanger

ICE ICE ICE!
I apologize if I seem out of place, I admit I have not played herocraft in a long time.

Here's an idea.

In real life, we have multiple forms of currency. You've got pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, dollar bills, $5s, $10s, you get the point.

According to Minecraftwiki.net, gold and emerald both have relatively similar spawn rates (assuming that you're in an Extreme Hills biome, where emerald naturally spawns.) There are technically 8 land-based biomes (9, if you count Mushroom Islands,) which means that emeralds are technically eight times more valuable than gold.

It would be nice if, for the sake of keeping the economy in balance with the map's capabilities, we could rig villager trading so that it uses gold ingots, as opposed to emeralds. That way, emeralds become to most valuable currency, but not necessarily the only currency.

Thoughts?

He has a point. If you want to get the very expensive emerald and have a better chance of getting rich you can risk mining in the mountains where you could be murdered. Otherwise take the low-risk, moderate reward trail and mine as you all have before.

Towns will farm and trade villagers. Those with access to villagers will be richest. We live in an unfair world.

I've assumed the following:
Villagers will be used to create currency.
DHX moves to a more balanced banking system in which money is based on both emerald and gold.
Mining and villagers will be a secure income source.

I hope to see y'all in 4.0.

Keffalump

Soulsand
i vote that we lower the price of gold, and emeralds are the price of old gold except raised

lhatchy1

Legacy Supporter 4
Emeralds only spawn as 1 block, so they are harder to find, as shaft miners rely on chunks of ore, stick with gold.

donaldmax1

Soulsand
I think we could have both emerald and gold just that emerald is worth a little more then gold maybe.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I say we stick to normal gold. The idea of getting emeralds then selling them seems pointless in my opinion, I find that it's a method too long and too likely to be abused to work well. People can steal villagers and make thousands of coin in just a day, couldn't they? What happens when all villagers have been stolen? :(

I feel that emeralds would work only on the grounds that villagers were NOT available in eggs/spawning, only placed in markets, in the wild, in regioned yet PvP areas. Also with infinite health and fixed positions, like NPCs, to prevent them getting stolen. In addition, emerald prices must be lowered far below current gold prices on the grounds that they are renewable. If gold is to remain at 9c, then emeralds must be worth 1-3c per piece.
@lhatchy1
@Keffalump
@donaldmax1

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I have been playing with some friends on a local server I host to test out 1.3. Emeralds are quite rare and are not always easy to get from villagers. If we use them for currency, I say they should be worth a lot.

The only uses for Emeralds are in exchanging them for items and vice versa, as well as powering the Beacon Block and building a pyramid-socket for it out of Emerald Blocks. It can be mined from extremely rare Emerald Ore, which is more rare than Diamond Ore since it is hardly ever found in groups and only found in the 'Extreme Hills' and 'Extreme Hills Edge' biomes, and nonexistent elsewhere. To trade with villagers, right-click them, and a trade menu will appear. To trade Emeralds with Villagers, the player must place them into the Trading Menu's left slot in the amount requested above the slot. The player can then take the resulting item from the right slot. This applies conversely to obtaining Emeralds in trade.[1] They cannot be crafted into tools. However, Emerald Blocks can be made, similar to the other ore blocks, and used as a building material or storage method. However, players may find using emerald blocks as a building material impractical due to their rarity.

That is from the wiki.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I have been playing with some friends on a local server I host to test out 1.3. Emeralds are quite rare and are not always easy to get from villagers. If we use them for currency, I say they should be worth a lot.

The only uses for Emeralds are in exchanging them for items and vice versa, as well as powering the Beacon Block and building a pyramid-socket for it out of Emerald Blocks. It can be mined from extremely rare Emerald Ore, which is more rare than Diamond Ore since it is hardly ever found in groups and only found in the 'Extreme Hills' and 'Extreme Hills Edge' biomes, and nonexistent elsewhere. To trade with villagers, right-click them, and a trade menu will appear. To trade Emeralds with Villagers, the player must place them into the Trading Menu's left slot in the amount requested above the slot. The player can then take the resulting item from the right slot. This applies conversely to obtaining Emeralds in trade.[1] They cannot be crafted into tools. However, Emerald Blocks can be made, similar to the other ore blocks, and used as a building material or storage method. However, players may find using emerald blocks as a building material impractical due to their rarity.

That is from the wiki.

The problem is that emeralds are renewable, meaning a group of 3-4 players can earn a lot of money in a very short period of time, (just make an automatic farm and you're good to go). If emeralds were less expensive then that would fix this problem.

Trading-Chart.png

Judging by this I wouldn't say emeralds are hard to get (this, too, is also from the wiki).

Considering that some people want personal/private villagers in their town or regioned plot, meaning they can literally get as many emeralds as they like without effort, I think that the price of mineral should be lowered.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
The problem is that emeralds are renewable, meaning a group of 3-4 players can earn a lot of money in a very short period of time, (just make an automatic farm and you're good to go). If emeralds were less expensive then that would fix this problem.

Trading-Chart.png

Judging by this I wouldn't say emeralds are hard to get (this, too, is also from the wiki).

Considering that some people want personal/private villagers in their town or regioned plot, meaning they can literally get as many emeralds as they like without effort, I think that the price of mineral should be lowered.
Trades only go one way. The only problem I see is the butcher/farmer and I'm sure the coders could fix this.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Trades only go one way. The only problem I see is the butcher/farmer and I'm sure the coders could fix this.

I know trades only go one way. Does it matter? You can still get a farmer, get an inventory of wheat and gain tons of emeralds very quickly. If emeralds were prices above/around 9c (the current gold price), then you'd get rich VERY quickly. If you had friends to give you more wheat while you traded, then you'll be even richer! :eek: