• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Gold vs. Emerald

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
But @Davros_, if the official currency remains gold and doesn't change to emeralds, there's no point in limiting the functionality of villager trading.

Davros_

Web Developer
Legacy Supporter 9
But @Davros_, if the official currency remains gold and doesn't change to emeralds, there's no point in limiting the functionality of villager trading.
True to an extent - it might still have to be limited/changed to make it better fit our economy. Otherwise it could still be OP, depending on how much emeralds are worth in that case and what they're used for.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
If gold is still used as currency villager trading must still be restricted. Whether you like it or not, emeralds would be a third currency in that scenario to merchants.

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
True to an extent - it might still have to be limited/changed to make it better fit our economy. Otherwise it could still be OP, depending on how much emeralds are worth in that case and what they're used for.

I think that those limits can only be properly placed after we see the full affect of villager trading in the server. We can theorycraft all day and night, but when it comes to something like this, it's very difficult to preemptively control the economy.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I don't see how that would help. So a few players grind to 55, then they're able to trade easily renewable resources that have no demand in the economy to villagers for unlimited emeralds. I think trading should be limited to real players, otherwise prices will be constantly inflating.

The only way it would work is if you severely limited what could be sold, how much it sold for, and put a very generous cooldown on it (like 24 hours). Even then I still don't really see the point - we have a REAL playerbase with REAL demand and a REAL economy, why do we need villager trading? It might be neat in SSP or small servers but I don't see it working on a large scale like this.

Just my 2¢.
You forget that villagers are not immune to being killed. People will covet them and guard them - others will seek them out and kill them. It adds a different flavor to the server, I don't think it takes away too much. Granted, a cooldown on their trade is best - we have to take it one step at a time.

Davros_

Web Developer
Legacy Supporter 9
You forget that villagers are not immune to being killed. People will covet them and guard them - others will seek them out and kill them. It adds a different flavor to the server, I don't think it takes away too much. Granted, a cooldown on their trade is best - we have to take it one step at a time.
Of course - but that also means a group/individual could region a few off and slaughter all the rest that they can find. Now that group/individual could potentially control most of the villager "market."

But yeah, take it one step at a time. These are just my opinions on the matter. :p

agentjwall

Godly
Keep in mind that nothing is set in stone. If the merchant-only method doesn't pan out we can look for an alternative solution. Experimenting helps us find better solutions that we may have overlooked. I'm not saying that merchant-only is better, just that it's worth a shot.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Keep in mind that nothing is set in stone. If the merchant-only method doesn't pan out we can look for an alternative solution. Experimenting helps us find better solutions that we may have overlooked. I'm not saying that merchant-only is better, just that it's worth a shot.

Only merchants being able to trade with villagers would be cool to experience, considering the ability isn't much anyway. If it doesn't work or is OP, then it'll be changed, wouldn't it? :p

As for gold vs. emeralds, I take it gold will continue being the currency?

Mattholomew

Legacy Supporter 5
I actually hope that emeralds become the new currency, there are quite a few non-currency uses for gold that have only not been used/used as much because of it being currency. Besides, if gold equipment is still the strongest alternative to class restrictions (regardless of low durability), it will still have decent value, and newbies/poor people will actually be able to use it for good equipment, instead of it being something best left for those who can afford it.

What I have to say upon this is that gold is in and Emerald is out I'm going with what everyone is saying emerald is too easy to get and gold even though may still be easy to get from villagers, in the long run gold is harder to find ansd it looks better in your inventory come on who doesn't love gold in their inventory!