• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Drakenvale

JORIZQUI

ICE ICE ICE!
The monastery is not being demolished. Do you know how many times Arch got owned trying to build the roof? Too many times.. :p

Hahaha, I have been owned myself building the keep's roof a couple of times as well. I really hope we don't need to touch it, I think it will be just within the region.

We really need to get some recruits, mark out our current border and mark the Capital City border so we can start thinking about what buildings need to be changed, removed or how the wall is going to go so it all makes sense.

dingytoothpaste

Glowing Redstone
Hahaha, I have been owned myself building the keep's roof a couple of times as well. I really hope we don't need to touch it, I think it will be just within the region.

We really need to get some recruits, mark out our current border and mark the Capital City border so we can start thinking about what buildings need to be changed, removed or how the wall is going to go so it all makes sense.

I really hope it is too. it shouldn't be much of an issue if it isn't, depending on far it's out. I'm sure it would be possible to move it slightly if we had too.. although I imagine Arch would say otherwise :p

Well, I'd totally be up for helping you if I wasn't inactive and occupied with revision :/ Dambziel would be a good place to start. He has the motivation and gets enjoyment from (arguably) tedious building tasks. It's worth a shot asking him :)

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
The Monastery shouldn't be an issue, most of it already falls within regions and we have 2 more town sizes to go up til we hit Capitol

JORIZQUI

ICE ICE ICE!
I really hope it is too. it shouldn't be much of an issue if it isn't, depending on far it's out. I'm sure it would be possible to move it slightly if we had too.. although I imagine Arch would say otherwise :p

Well, I'd totally be up for helping you if I wasn't inactive and occupied with revision :/ Dambziel would be a good place to start. He has the motivation and gets enjoyment from (arguably) tedious building tasks. It's worth a shot asking him :)
What is revision if you don't mind me asking?

kyurem2613

Legacy Supporter 2
Ok, fair enough.

What about detailing the path a bit more, I feel like the random gravel/stone slabs are a bit too far appart from each other.

Also bear in mind we build within the context of a town, thus the garden seems a bit too wild. I would recomend you implement more structures into your park builds (statues, fountains, walls, stone around bodies of water etc.). We recently finished a park on the east side of DV by the monastery, wich we sadly will need to partially remove to make way for the Capital City wall. You might want to go check that park out, to get some inspiration/ideas.

There are builders who define the following 3 pillars of a good build:

1. Style
2. Atmosphere
3. Purpose

1. By style they refer to the conection there has to be between the different parts of the build. You can't have a nordic house with a pointy roof next to a mediterranean looking villa next to a wooden shack and call it a town. There has to be a point of conection. In Drakenvale, since there are a lot of skilled builders working on exterior arquitecture it is dificult to keep a very defined style, but Drakenvale's theme is medieval - gothic for the builds and renaissance-ish for the harbor and ships.

Of course when talking about nature it is difficult to define a style, that's why I recomend you implement more builds into the park. That way just by using some of the same concept builds in another park you achieve the same style. The lamps could help you with that, instead of just torches on fences what about streetlamps? the easiest desig for those are 3 or 4 fenceblocks with a glowstone block up top surrounded by trapdoors and a halfslab on it, but there are a lot more designs you can come up with. Also the waterfall concept is a win. It needs some more detail to it though.

2. Atmosphere Is very thricky. You can spend hours on a build and fail to achieve the correct atmosphere. Nature builds are very atmospheric. they allow you to block the surrounding sights with greenery, and the water does a lot.

You should maybe customize your trees a bit more, and as I said, a wall around the garden and more greenery could just do the trick. The terrain elevations at the side were a good call, they add a lot. Also, since the Server started using a version of Conquest Resource Pack I have been using that one for the town builds. A good resource pack like conquest helps a lot with atmosphere. Just keep in mind not everyone uses it and don't go crazy with custom blocks.

3. Purpose is a very interesting concept. It rests upon the basis that a minecraft build should make sense, even though minecraft mechanics do not demand such things. For exampe, if you build a mine, you could just have ladders going straight down into the gound, but if you think about it, how the hell would the miners get the heavy stone and ores out? You need to build a lift. The lift of course is just for show and is unusable but it is purpose. There is a lift in DV that is kind of pointless since it goes only like 5 blocks up and you can just follow a road to get up anyways, but it looks like a lift, and that is purpose. You could have just placed 2 signs, but making it look like it would actually work gives it a lot of architectural value.

Please do not view this as an atack on your build or anything. Bear in mind that if I take the time to write all that it's because I believe it is worth it to give you the tips necessary for you to improve.

I believe there are plans to undergo a big garden build righ in the middle of the town. If you want to be a part of it get back to me with some modifications on that garden or do a new one taking into consideration what I wrote up there. Also feel free to use conquest resource pack.

As for a tip on gardens, just follow your gut. Imagine yourself in the garden, would you sit there and read a book for a few hours? Or is it too dark, is there not enough privacy or whatever other things you would dislike in a real one?

I completely understand what you said, I didn't want to take two hours though just to show something I COULD make, so I decided just to do a nice little area. With your comment on structures and stuff, I don't particularly excel at making things such as statues or lamps, but I can do things like fountains, those are always fun. Also, I didn't look at any inspiration for what I built, because of the time thing I said earlier, I can do much better with inspiration. Also, I have the resource pack, but I took the pictures in default so that the build wouldn't look better than what it's "supposed to be" (even if it does suck).

About the project, I think I'll be willing to do it, if I am not being forced to complete it by X, because that could ruin the quality of the build if I feel I'm being pressed for time (I'm not going to start a small project and finish it in two months, that is just ridiculous, I will try to finish the project in a reasonable amount of time. Just remember, I get interested in other things as well, because I'm human and I like variety).

dingytoothpaste

Glowing Redstone
What is revision if you don't mind me asking?

I certainly don't mind :) Sorry for the late reply. I've got exams in May and June so I've I'm looking over all the content of the course so I can remember it for the exams. I really want to do well so I can do a Forestry Degree Bsc :)

barbas0l

Legacy Supporter 7
Retired Staff
Had 4 different people call in at work this week, so I've been covering shifts all week :(

Perfect farmland location imo, and we can do some more measurements to help it fit around arch's place.
I'll be posting our upgrade needs for Large size soon. It's gonna mostly come down to the cheddar $$$$$
I'll have the requirements posted in-game, and also in our private convo's.
Great work guys(and gals).

Coolerz251

Legacy Supporter 6
I was planning farmland for that spot, a road surrounded by the farmland that feeds Drakenvale.

You know, decorative farmland, some small wooden windmills and shacks, some wagons full of wheat, grain etc. The hole medieval farmland deal

EDIT: this is more or less my plan for that area:

tY3K7nE.png
so do you want those areas cleared out and to help make walls? hmm i could do that in my spare time when i am not busy lvling what kind of wall is needed?

buddhalike

Wood
Je8DliL.jpg
In Game Name(IGN): Buddhalike

Age(must be 15+): 15

Minecraft Exp: 2 days

Herocraft Exp: 10 mins

Spec or intended spec: mining paladin

Current level: 1

What do you like to do? (be honest, you'd be surprised with what we need.): i like to mine

What strengths do you bring to the town?: i can supply the town with ores

Past Cities/Towns (if applicable): none

Have you ever been removed forcibly from a town, why? (don't lie, we'll find out): no

Are you prepared to pledge yourself to the defense of Drakenvale?: yes

Do you understand The Rules and Regulations?: yes

Do you have a mic/headset? Teamspeak?: yes

Were you referred? By who?: mrpepperoni

dingytoothpaste

Glowing Redstone
Had 4 different people call in at work this week, so I've been covering shifts all week :(

Perfect farmland location imo, and we can do some more measurements to help it fit around arch's place.
I'll be posting our upgrade needs for Large size soon. It's gonna mostly come down to the cheddar $$$$$
I'll have the requirements posted in-game, and also in our private convo's.
Great work guys(and gals).

I'd really like to see that upgrade list :D

JORIZQUI

ICE ICE ICE!
so do you want those areas cleared out and to help make walls? hmm i could do that in my spare time when i am not busy lvling what kind of wall is needed?
I would like to keep the terrain more or less natural, since it is mostly flat anyways. You could clear it out of trees and level it slightly, keeping some of the natural elevation, you know making it look real. As for the wall, we first need to mark out the region and calculate the capital city region

JORIZQUI

ICE ICE ICE!
I completely understand what you said, I didn't want to take two hours though just to show something I COULD make, so I decided just to do a nice little area. With your comment on structures and stuff, I don't particularly excel at making things such as statues or lamps, but I can do things like fountains, those are always fun. Also, I didn't look at any inspiration for what I built, because of the time thing I said earlier, I can do much better with inspiration. Also, I have the resource pack, but I took the pictures in default so that the build wouldn't look better than what it's "supposed to be" (even if it does suck).

About the project, I think I'll be willing to do it, if I am not being forced to complete it by X, because that could ruin the quality of the build if I feel I'm being pressed for time (I'm not going to start a small project and finish it in two months, that is just ridiculous, I will try to finish the project in a reasonable amount of time. Just remember, I get interested in other things as well, because I'm human and I like variety).

I understand you did not take that long to make the garden, even so, it had potential and that is why I wrote that long text. About statues and lamps, it's ok, i don't excell either at those, it's suprisingly difficult to get nice things like those because of the small scale. About taking the pictures in default, it's always a good call to do it. I used to build in default for that very reason you pointed out, but since conquest is the server resource pack, I just wanted you to know it's cool to build using it. As for your garden, it does not suck, it shows potential, and it's clear to me it did not take you long to build, and that the time dedicated is exponential to the quality of the result.

About the project, we don't really work with deadlines, since it's a game and we all have other things to do. It's just good to know we have someone who can help. We need to keep people under control at first, because if you let everyone do surface building the theme and aesthetics of the town get ruined in a day, but our goal is to have builders be independent and work on projects without supervision. That trust has to be earned though.

I'm going to ask @barbas0l or @savathaflava, whoever is the convo admin, to add you to the builders thread so you can participate in the buiders discussion and be up to date in projects.

Coolerz251

Legacy Supporter 6
I would like to keep the terrain more or less natural, since it is mostly flat anyways. You could clear it out of trees and level it slightly, keeping some of the natural elevation, you know making it look real. As for the wall, we first need to mark out the region and calculate the capital city region

I meant the area that the wall goes that has a structure in it do you want that area cleared and made natural aka trees grass etc

kyurem2613

Legacy Supporter 2
I understand you did not take that long to make the garden, even so, it had potential and that is why I wrote that long text. About statues and lamps, it's ok, i don't excell either at those, it's suprisingly difficult to get nice things like those because of the small scale. About taking the pictures in default, it's always a good call to do it. I used to build in default for that very reason you pointed out, but since conquest is the server resource pack, I just wanted you to know it's cool to build using it. As for your garden, it does not suck, it shows potential, and it's clear to me it did not take you long to build, and that the time dedicated is exponential to the quality of the result.

About the project, we don't really work with deadlines, since it's a game and we all have other things to do. It's just good to know we have someone who can help. We need to keep people under control at first, because if you let everyone do surface building the theme and aesthetics of the town get ruined in a day, but our goal is to have builders be independent and work on projects without supervision. That trust has to be earned though.

I'm going to ask @barbas0l or @savathaflava, whoever is the convo admin, to add you to the builders thread so you can participate in the buiders discussion and be up to date in projects.

Ah, okay, that clears things up a bit. Yeah I won't be able to work on stuff super soon though because I'll be busy in other things, but I believe that I will be able to participate in projects in maybe a week.

Aeonyir

Dirt
In Game Name(IGN): Aeonyir

Age(must be 15+): 24

Minecraft Exp: Been playing since Alpha

Herocraft Exp: Played a bit a few years ago. Just coming back now. I love building and having fun in towns.

Spec or intended spec: Wizard/Alchemist

Current level: 1 LS

What do you like to do? (be honest, you'd be surprised with what we need.): Building, mining, harvesting, animal husbandry

What strengths do you bring to the town?: I can build pretty well and I'm easy to get along with

Past Cities/Towns (if applicable): Didn't really join any towns before

Have you ever been removed forcibly from a town, why? (don't lie, we'll find out): No

Are you prepared to pledge yourself to the defense of Drakenvale?: Yes, I'm very loyal

Do you understand The Rules and Regulations?: Yes

Do you have a mic/headset? Teamspeak?: No

Were you referred? By who?: I was wandering around and found the town and thought it was pretty. TheNo1Yeti pointed a bow at me and I asked him if I could join.