• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Dota 2

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I mean the player base and shit speaks for itself in the moba world :p
Tbh the community is most team based competitive games suck :p

and imo the difference between HoN and LoL is they're aimed at different markets.
HoN was designed as a competitive E-Sport and LoL was more for casual gamers.
So when I try playing LoL as a long time HoN player I tend to find it a bit slow paced and the reactions from the game a bit slow :p

But that is just me.

Oxea

Legacy Supporter 7
The competitive games are good when you're playing ranked games, aren't all communities for the mobs games comprised of "team based" players? There's only so much you can bring to the table as an individual. You're right when it comes to the markets they've been designed for but as time has gone by, LoL has been shaping up to be more e-sport competitive.

LoL has a huge player base so there's a obviously a section for the hardcore gamers (aka competive) and casuals that make up the community. As for HoN, the majority are competitive rather than casual.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
The competitive games are good when you're playing ranked games, aren't all communities for the mobs games comrprised of "team based" players? There's only so much you can bring to the table as an individual. You're right when it comes to the markets they've been designed for but as time has gone by, LoL has been shaping up to be more e-sport competitive.

LoL has a huge player base so there's a obviously a section for the hardcore gamers (aka competive) and casuals that make up the community. As for HoN, the majority are competitive rather than casual.
You seem to have miss understood me.
I was talking about the majority of players not all.
I was also talking about where the games were initially pitched not what they are now.

Oxea

Legacy Supporter 7
You seem to have miss understood me.
I was talking about the majority of players not all.
I was also talking about where the games were initially pitched not what they are now.

Yeah I did misunderstand you in terms of the majority of players but as to what they were initially pitched for, I knew of both companies intentions and saw it having played both. With what I've said already prior to this post, it still stands as to what it's evolving into.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Yeah I did misunderstand you in terms of the majority of players but as to what they were initially pitched for, I knew of both companies intentions and saw it having played both. With what I've said already prior to this post, it still stands as to what it's evolving into.
Ye I wasn't saying you were incorrect.

BigguthDickuth

Soulsand
I say choose what you want; but
1. Dota 2 is still in Beta. And I haven't had a problem with it, I mean yeah it took me a good day to get used to the new interface and set my hotkeys up, but I wouldn't leave back for LoL now.
2. I'm not gonna go into originality because we all know AoS is where it all started 8D.
3. Every new hero LoL has come out with except like 2, for the first week they're released they're OP as fuck. Their servers can be unreliable, and they still have some balance issues.
4. When comparing Dota 2's graphics to LoL, LoL makes me cry :(.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Actually in terms of quality LoL has the best graphics but many people prefer the more serious art style of HoN and DotA.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Thats more your preference :L
Not really I know a lot of LoL players that prefer the art Style of HoN to LoL but prefer the game-play of LoL. So they play than instead

BigguthDickuth

Soulsand
Feels like you're going off-topic... if we're referring to Graphics, what would game-play have to do with graphics 8D?
And I've played Dota and LoL (fuck HoN, they took DoTa changed enough things to legally sell it) and I like DoTa better, but LoL is fun from time to time :L

Oxea

Legacy Supporter 7
I say choose what you want; but
1. Dota 2 is still in Beta. And I haven't had a problem with it, I mean yeah it took me a good day to get used to the new interface and set my hotkeys up, but I wouldn't leave back for LoL now.
2. I'm not gonna go into originality because we all know AoS is where it all started 8D.
3. Every new hero LoL has come out with except like 2, for the first week they're released they're OP as fuck. Their servers can be unreliable, and they still have some balance issues.
Feels like you're going off-topic... if we're referring to Graphics, what would game-play have to do with graphics 8D?
And I've played Dota and LoL (fuck HoN, they took DoTa changed enough things to legally sell it) and I like DoTa better, but LoL is fun from time to time :L

The graphics may be looking good in Dota 2, but graphics aren't everything and it's only noticeably outdated in AoS or DoTA - Every other moba game has got above average graphics. As for the whole HoN and LoL are just changed from DoTA point, it's obvious that DoTA set the proper foundations and became the mark as did WoW for MMO's, but HoN actually made more things rather than 'changed' them being S2 Games and all.

Anyway it's obviously down to preference, just let the stats of each game do the talking. Dota 2 is good, never said it was bad. I'll see what it's like after beta and such and then make a personal preference out of it again.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Well Gears of War has good graphics and that game is terrible. So I don't often see graphics as a good point of comparison. I don't play either games but I've had alot of friends who were really into LoL quit playing over the every day BS the game has, especially concerning OP characters (they were the ones using them, not getting raped by them). So I played it smart and didn't even get into the game, played maybe 2 matches.

Dota2 probably has big potential to herd the fed up LoL players to a new, more stable environment. We will just have to wait and see!

jclark123

Wood
Saying the LoL community is less horrible than HoN or DoTA doesn't work anymore. I've played all three, yeah at first League had a great community, but now it's just as bad if not worse than the others.

I've never been in a situation in HoN or DoTA where if my character would have benefited greater from a rune than someone else, and despite that they took it anyway. Typically, they call me over chat to come get it and cover it for me even if just 10 seconds earlier they were shit talking me and calling me a moron.

In League, people steal the hell out of buffs when they don't need it, then proceed to insult you when you ask them wtf they're doing as an AD carry taking blue from an AP carry.

Also, unfortunately the overwhelming majority of LoL's player base won't move on to DoTA or even HoN for that matter. DoTA and HoN are just too unforgiving to MoBA noobs, who are League's playerbase.

EDIT: The only AD carry I never get irritated at for taking my blue is Ezreal. He needs it considering he's so horribly underpowered. And what does Riot do? Release new weaboo OP champions instead of fixing old ones.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Well Gears of War has good graphics and that game is terrible. So I don't often see graphics as a good point of comparison. I don't play either games but I've had alot of friends who were really into LoL quit playing over the every day BS the game has, especially concerning OP characters (they were the ones using them, not getting raped by them). So I played it smart and didn't even get into the game, played maybe 2 matches.

Dota2 probably has big potential to herd the fed up LoL players to a new, more stable environment. We will just have to wait and see!
Tbh MOBA games are notoriously difficult to balance especially with new heroes/champions released every couple weeks. Both LoL and HoN have fallen into this trap, the reason behind this decision is that the majority of the community want a lot of new content added to their game. Thus in order to keep the community happy on this front they have to release heroes before they have been properly balanced. This is the flaw with the genre and I don't see DotA 2 avoiding this pitfall either.

jclark123

Wood
Tbh MOBA games are notoriously difficult to balance especially with new heroes/champions released every couple weeks. Both LoL and HoN have fallen into this trap, the reason behind this decision is that the majority of the community want a lot of new content added to their game. Thus in order to keep the community happy on this front they have to release heroes before they have been properly balanced. This is the flaw with the genre and I don't see DotA 2 avoiding this pitfall either.

That's not exactly true.

People were not clamoring for new heroes every other week. If you read any forum, asked any person in game, the majority of players were desperate for "new content" in the forms of game modes and maps; NOT new heroes.

Here's the thing though. Heroes and skins sell and make a lot of money. Riot was bought out by the Chinese company Tencent. Suddenly, Riot scraps Magma Chamber, puts project shiny on the backburner, puts everything else on the backburner, and starts pumping out skins and new rehashed generic (or stolen from DoTA/HoN) champions every other week that are overpowered and causing a power creep in order to forcibly change the meta and suck as much money out of the community as they can.

MOBAS are not notoriously difficult to balance. League is just difficult to balance because Riot has a terrible terrible business model for balance, they cater to their retarded MOBA noob community, and have a vested interest in pumping out overpowered toons in order to make money.

BigguthDickuth

Soulsand
Also, unfortunately the overwhelming majority of LoL's player base won't move on to DoTA or even HoN for that matter. DoTA and HoN are just too unforgiving to MoBA noobs, who are League's playerbase.

Preach it man. You have my respect :D.