• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Wordsmith - AKA Scribe re-write

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Hmmm, I see what you mean, what about if it randomly chooses? Like a miners smelt gold possibly could "Give" thew skill different mats to make a chance of it procing for that craft a bit higher. Still give it a initial cost, but then you can give more items to have a higher chance to go that spec, nothing over 75% I would imagine.

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
What about having scribes as the only ones who can make paintings....just a thought.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
What about having scribes as the only ones who can make paintings....just a thought.

I think the idea of having classes is to make unique skill sets that players can choose between. Each with their own advantages and ways of making money while trying to not make the game harder for the majority.

If that's the case I don't see it adding anything to the game to lock pictures as they really have no general value. This would just make it harder for people to decorate the way they want to.

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
I think the idea of having classes is to make unique skill sets that players can choose between. Each with their own advantages and ways of making money while trying to not make the game harder for the majority.

If that's the case I don't see it adding anything to the game to lock pictures as they really have no general value. This would just make it harder for people to decorate the way they want to.
yea i guess that is a good point

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
Your ideas are interesting but I don't really know that they are enough to make the profession appealing.

Additionally, you seem to have taken out one of the two useful self abilities that give scribe any value at all (Personal water breathing).

Honestly, I wouldn't trade personal water breathing for any of the group crafting buffs you're proposing. Granted, I haven't slotted scribe in months but every time I've had it up I overwhelmingly used the personal water breathing more than any other ability that scribe currently has (night vision was a close second after it was added).

I honestly think that if you want to make scribe appealing then you might keep some of those group buffs you mentioned but allow them to benefit the caster as well. Group water breathing, group safe fall, group night vision--none of these are all that game breaking.

Like others have mentioned, I'd remove the 2nd mark/recall as well. Even if limited to Warshard/Forgelight it's still quite a powerful perk.

And yes, if you want to REALLY make more people play scribe--make us the only ones who can craft bookshelves. To be honest, I'm sure this would be fair so maybe this isn't the best idea.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Updated the main post with the latest suggestion line up.

Changed a couple non skills from not effecting the caster to add him to the skills list.
Removed mining shard recall until more people are giving positive feedback.
Removed Dispel as it is a combat skill and Crafters should not have combat skills.

Take a look everyone and throw some more comments or suggestions up!

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
being able to copy books and maps then later on being able to sell books that i wrote would be awesome, i could travel the world writing stories and histories and sell copies, (possibly at the black market). I could finally be a wandering scribe :p

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
One of your first skills was something about turning into another class for a limited while, yes?
Instead of that, just have a random crafter skill activate, and if you don't have the needed materials for the skill, that's just too bad.
Of course, not having anything the like of that is okay as well.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
That was a skill proposed by Macura.

I am not sure if this would work but it would make being a scribe actually useful.

Skill: Studious
Through studying other crafter specializations you can change into one for a period of time.
Cd: This would have to be an insanely high cd. Something like 1 day.
Duration: Maybe a half an hour to an hour
Reagent: Idk, something somewhat large but not massive.

This would allow you to become a different crafter spec for a short period of time, once every so often. It would not render other crafter specs useless because it would have a very large cool down and once it is toggled you would have to wait a very long time to use it again.

Although the idea is interesting I proposed a challenge on how to balance it.
It will save you 1000c every time it is used(cost to respec twice.) So how do you balance such a huge benefit? If it's just a random crafting skill then it's worthless because there are a hundred crafting skills and getting the one you want is a rather random chance. If it gives you all the skills of a new crafting spec then its taking away the need to be anything but Wordsmith as you can change for free on demand.

I would propose Studious as a skill for the Banker profession if it's ever added. Studious allows you to switch from banker to any other spec for only 250c instead of 500c or perhaps will switch your classes from Banker to ___ for X x2 minutes where X is the amount of coins you spend x 100.
/skill studious enchanter 5 - costs 500c and you become an enchanter for 10 minutes before reverting back to Banker.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
It was in and out and in and out of the build.
I am thinking it should be out as it's a combat skill and I think the only reason Scribe currently has it is because of how mangled it currently is.
It's the only reason I've even considered Scribe =P

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
It's the only reason I've even considered Scribe =P

I understand that's the same for a lot of people and at the same time that's the problem! =/
The only reason to take a crafting class should not be a combat skill =P

How about skills that would set it apart and make you want to play it while not effecting combat?[DOUBLEPOST=1363025573,1360872671][/DOUBLEPOST]Huh?

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
at the very least for the moment they could fix bookquill so scribes can be the only ppl to write books and maybe crafting and copying books too, be able to make some type of income. having a chest shop for plan books and written books would be nice to but ill take whatever i can get at the moment.

If all of you reading this could RATE the initial post that would be awesome, I am not asking for positive ratings unless you like and or approve but any rating is better then none so I can get a feeling for what everyone is thinking.

Here it is, the brainchild of Witchy and myself. Right now Scribe is a placeless hodgepodge of skills. There have been many suggestions on ways to fix scribe but all of them fall short of making a fun or "usable" class. What we do lack in the herocraft "crafting world" is a support type crafter. One that has minimal benefits for the self and great benefits for their nearby friends. Here is a class proposal that would not take much to implement and should not throw much of an off balance to the rest of the game.

Take a look and make some suggestions, leave some comments and as always, be constructive :p

PLEASE DON'T GET STUCK ON NUMBERS! The values below are placeholders for the balance team to figure out. Please try to focus on the idea of the class and the function of the skills and let the numbers do as they will if it ever moved forward.

-Wordsmith-

The left hand of the Lords. The Wordsmith is the person who gets the things done that need to be done. A generally selfless person who helps those around them complete their tasks at hand. Wordsmiths are heavily trained in literature and thus have learned many tactics to complete jobs more efficiently. Unfortunately although knowledgeable in most arts, the Wordsmith is more adapt at telling others how to complete their tasks then they are at helping themselves with the same knowledge. Many empires have been built and many lords have held the honors of these lands, but behind every great empire lies a great Wordsmith

- Leveling -
  • Leveling Exp - Farming(cane cutting, shearing sheep,Lumberjack...) mining and fishing
- Skills -

Level 1
  • Mark,Recall, Shears, Lava bucket, Lighter
Level 5

• Book and quill
Level 10

• Scan
  • BreathInstruction- Gives all nearby group members as well as the caster water breathing for 15+(level*.5) seconds.
Level 20

• Overgrowth
Level 25

• Farsight
  • Crafting Books
Level 30

• Organization - Lowers the cooldown of nearby group members (does not effect the caster) Crafter skills by (lvl*.05) seconds for 1 minute. Exp. Smeltgold, transmute...
Level 35

• TumblingLessons - Protects all nearby group members including the caster from falling damage for 10 seconds.
  • Copy Maps
  • Copy Books
Level 40

• ClearThinking - increase the duration of nearby group members Crafter skills by 4 +(lvl*.05) seconds for 2 minutes. Exp. Mining
Level 45

• VisualTraining - All nearby group members (does not effect the caster) can see in the dark for 30+(level*.5) seconds.
Level 50

• BookSmarts - increase the chance based Crafter skills chance of success by (base*1.5) for all nearby group members(does not effect the caster) for 2 minutes. Exp. Logging, mining, fishing...
  • Book Chestshop
Level 55

• NightVision
Level 60

• Beacon Use

With Notes:

- Skills -

Level 1
  • Mark,Recall, Shears, Lava bucket, Lighter
Level 5

• Book and quill
This is in the game right now but the perms were not working last I heard.
Level 10
  • Scan
  • BreathInstruction- Gives all nearby group members as well as the caster water breathing for 15+(level*.5) seconds.
Witchy and I thought a little different on this one so I wanted to push this for peer review. Witchy brings up the point that it could be used in combat to gain an advantage. My original idea was for underwater building or mining. Whats your thoughts?
Level 20
  • Overgrowth
Level 25

• Farsight
  • Crafting Books
Yes I am suggesting locking the creation of books. :eek: It would give some self value to the class and allow them to hopefully make some money. Maybe, maybe not.
Level 30
  • Organization - Lowers the cooldown of nearby group members (does not effect the caster) Crafter skills by (lvl*.05) seconds for 1 minute. Exp. Smeltgold, transmute...
This would only hook crafting skills with a total cooldown reduction of 3 seconds. Might need to turn it up to .075 to see a little better difference at L60(4.5 sec max)
Level 35
  • TumblingLessons - Protects all nearby group members including the caster from falling damage for 10 seconds.
This already exists on scribe and I like the idea of it being passed onto Wordsmith
  • Copy Maps
  • Copy Books
Sure why not?
Level 40
  • ClearThinking - increase the duration of nearby group members Crafter skills by 4 +(lvl*.05) seconds for 2 minutes. Exp. Mining
This would only hook Crafter abilities such as Mining to give a boost of up to 7 seconds to the skills duration.
  • Dispel
This is here because it's on Scribe. I don't believe it's needed anymore as Wordsmith would be more then useful without it, yet lets hear what you all have to say.
Level 45
  • VisualTraining - All nearby group members (does not effect the caster) can see in the dark for 30+(level*.5) seconds.
Same thought as the safefall or the water breathing. Group mining support.
Level 50
  • BookSmarts - increase the chance based Crafter skills chance of success by (base*1.5) for all nearby group members(does not effect the caster) for 2 minutes. Exp. Logging, mining, fishing...
This would only hook Crafter abilities and would result in the following potential bonus'
Mining: .015% chance for iron from stone(instead of .01.)
Woodcutting: 9% chance of double drops(instead of 6.)
Summon cow: 45% chance of two cows(instead of 30.)
  • Book Chestshop
Cornering the book market!
Level 55
  • Localize - Marks the location the scribe is standing - 3 day cooldown, requires 1 diamond block. Only works in Warshard or Forgelight.
  • Return - Teleports the Wordsmith to a location marked using Localize - 30 120 min cooldown, requires 1 enderpearl, 30 60 second warm up.
Original The main self perk of taking Wordsmith. Always at the beck and call of their Lords the Wordsmiths devised a new way to get back and fourth.

Inside the pages of the wordsmiths

Long cooldowns, costs and warmups would hopefully offset the great upsides of a second recall to make it manageable.
12pm 2/5/13 Recall removed as it appears the general consensus is there is no way to balance it.
7:45pm 2/5/13 Opened for one more go with a new suggestion. To hinder the benefits of having to open recalls instead limit the use to this mark in the mining worlds. The only place mark would work would be in Forgelight or Warshard. Continue the discussion
2/12/13 - Removed again as resistance seems to persist. Please voice up regarding this skill if for or against as well as reasoning.
  • NightVision
Self perk
Level 60
  • Beacon Use
I fully agree with many changes but this might be a little overkill.
Currently though it seems scribe is just all those left over skill thrown into it. (smelt ore wtf?)

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
I like the crafting skill buffs but I don't really see a use for books. I don't know anyone who uses books in minecraft. I mean books are for school, not video games. >.<

TheBrute2001

Legacy Supporter 5
I like the crafting skill buffs but I don't really see a use for books. I don't know anyone who uses books in minecraft. I mean books are for school, not video games. >.<
Leaving a written book leaves your legacy, you may become inactive but those books will always be there... Untill a NO.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Skimmed through the skill idea list. It keeps runestone and beacon so the rest I'm really neutral on. If it's great, cool. If not, not the end of the world.
Sadly, no flat out neutral rating, so yeah.