• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Wordsmith - AKA Scribe re-write

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I like it a lot more than before but I would think if one recites how to hold their breathe to others, he too would gain the benefit of reading from the book.

Your logic is strong today.

Hmm. The Wordsmith although wise, has the most horrible endurance seeing as most of his time is spent in books. He does gain some benefit from his knowledge, yet it only brings him up to par with his more athletic friends normal abilities!

Bam! :D

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
If all of you reading this could RATE the initial post that would be awesome, I am not asking for positive ratings unless you like and or approve but any rating is better then none so I can get a feeling for what everyone is thinking.

Finally I was tagged for something. :eek:

Perfect! Now, give meh some feedback please :D

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
With the copy book skill I would sell the Herocraft lore books. :p

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
My problem with scribe is it has five useful combat skills, some of which overlap with combat classes. The problem with this is when combat classes choose Scribe they may get different amounts of new unlockable skills, which may make Scribe unpopular with certain combat classes.

I do like your idea of a "support profession" that helps players mine, build, or farm. Group mining boost and group nightvision are great ideas. However if you take out all the combat skills, you're still left with a class that isn't as attractive as the other professions.

Scribe does not have its own economic niche. The tentative Banker class has that, but few light utility skills (which Scribe has many). I say just merge the two classes. Maybe wait until next map. You could keep calling it Scribe or Banker. Alternatively you could rename it to something like Treasurer, Dealer, Bookkeeper, etc.

A sample skillset is below. It probably needs a rework and a proper balancing, but the idea is there. It seems just as attractive as some of the most popular professions.

From Scribe
  • Bookquill
  • Night Vision (maybe AOE)
  • AOE Faster Mining
  • Copy Maps and Books
  • Beacon
From Banker
  • SmeltGold - turns gold ore into ingots
  • Exchange - turn coins into gold ingots
  • Monetize - turn gold ingots into coins
  • Gold chest shops - Buy/Sell gold ore, ingots, weapons, tools, and armor.
  • EnderChests use
  • SummonBook
(Also the Crafter skills)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I threw in Scribe literally last minute on the start of Bastion. It had some thought behind it but it is a class that still needs changes. I agree and like a lot of these - I just don't have the manpower (or mind set) to make these actualized.
Roadkill if you want to step up to bat - feel free.

Also ... banker. I like the idea of bankers holding the currency/economy of Herocraft. They will be very needed.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
My problem with scribe is it has five useful combat skills, some of which overlap with combat classes. The problem with this is when combat classes choose Scribe they may get different amounts of new unlockable skills, which may make Scribe unpopular with certain combat classes.

I do like your idea of a "support profession" that helps players mine, build, or farm. Group mining boost and group nightvision are great ideas. However if you take out all the combat skills, you're still left with a class that isn't as attractive as the other professions.

Scribe does not have its own economic niche. The tentative Banker class has that, but few light utility skills (which Scribe has many). I say just merge the two classes. Maybe wait until next map. You could keep calling it Scribe or Banker. Alternatively you could rename it to something like Treasurer, Dealer, Bookkeeper, etc.

A sample skillset is below. It probably needs a rework and a proper balancing, but the idea is there. It seems just as attractive as some of the most popular professions.

From Scribe
  • Bookquill
  • AOE Faster Mining
  • Copy Maps and Books
  • Beacon
From Banker
  • EnderChests use
  • SummonBook
I agree. Merge scribe and banker. Both seem like two half-purposed professions, and combining them would be the most efficient solution.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Why no just scholar instead of wordsmith.

Or forman or many other names ;) Just picking the one we liked the best

My problem with scribe is it has five useful combat skills,
some of which overlap with combat classes. The problem with this is when combat classes choose Scribe they may get different amounts of new unlockable skills, which may make Scribe unpopular with certain combat classes.

From Scribe
  • Bookquill
  • AOE Faster Mining
  • Copy Maps and Books
  • Beacon
From Banker
  • EnderChests use
  • SummonBook

I think a lot of people like the banker idea but the idea I am presenting is very different then the banker idea. I would not say that the Wordsmith as presented above is any less useful then Alchemist or Mason, just different. I know a couple people that would take a class with the skills I mentioned just because they like to help out the whole instead of working alone.

I threw in Scribe literally last minute on the start of Bastion. It had some thought behind it but it is a class that still needs changes. I agree and like a lot of these - I just don't have the manpower (or mind set) to make these actualized.

I glad to hear you like the idea. One of the limitations I was trying to work under with new skills was to keep them "simple" in the grand scheme of things. The coding to make most of those work already exists between the existing systems so it would be more painless in comparison then re-inventing the wheel :D. I understand the lack of man power and it's a shame but I think the idea of having a class designed to support of Crafters is a winning proposition based off the positive feedback so far.;)

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree. Merge scribe and banker. Both seem like two half-purposed professions, and combining them would be the most efficient solution.

I personally think they could both hold their own as options. One as a "crafting support class" and the other as an "economy support class"
Personally I believe merging the two(although a simple, get it done option) will just make another hodgepodge weird semi class.
Hash them both out and make them both shine instead of taking the "easy" road to making something a little bit better.

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
or at the very least someone fix the bookquill skill so scribes can have a monopoly on books.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8

I hate to make you repeat yourself but if you would humor me :cool:.
The idea of having a support oriented Crafter is idea you like and would implement if available, but since you are tapped out on your programming time as it is, there is just no one to work one it?
Thanks in advance,

jmoney222

Legacy Supporter 5
I really like the sound of this. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only Scribe that actually plays it at the moment, and have been for a while. It hasn't gotten anywhere, and I think these ideas could actually bring it somewhere. I personally prefer party-PVP, so having all the support buffs would be nice. :)

arcanegrove

Obsidian
I liked the idea for studios, would give the wordsmith that economical niche that you were talking about. If some 1 were to master ever crafter spec, then master wordsmith, I believe that they should have that extra thing, plus it would replace the mark/recall skill that they get at 60 :D

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I like the idea of class switching but I think the idea of swapping classes like that could only be balanced by a coin cost. Normally it would 1000c to do what that skill suggests.
I think since the idea of having a Banker class still holds weight that Studious should be renamed and moved to banker for a smaller then normal fee. Say 400c instead of the normal 1000c
I will do a rewrite of the original post today or tomorrow and I can add studious for people to consider but we would need some discussion on Studious because as it's suggested currently it would be way to valuable