• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Townships + Mechanics Feedback

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
1) Since the change of fishing rods in 1.9? You can use them against people in Non-Pvp (not causing damage) to haul them in directions.
2) Breeding animals as a farmer seems to yield nothing (no animal or exp)
3) Skills that spawn animals seem to yield nothing.
For 2/3, can you try that outside a town, if you tried within one?
Just a hunch that may be related.

As for ExplosiveShot lighting things on fire, it's not particularly coded to anywhere.
However, the arrow itself is on fire for the sake of effect, which may be doing it.
I'll take out the fire (can't say when the change will get to live) and see what happens.

I can think of very good reasons not to have dynmap show players. Why do you think it should?
Well, it encourages PvP. Since this is currently in Beta on 1.9 (which has massive combat changes), the increased amount of PvP can bring to light many bugs and balancing issues, which is kind of the point of the Beta. Plus it will bring in/keep an increased number of PvPers while there is active PvP.

While it may push away new non-PvP players, this server is, at its core, a PvP server.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Well, it encourages PvP. Since this is currently in Beta on 1.9 (which has massive combat changes), the increased amount of PvP can bring to light many bugs and balancing issues, which is kind of the point of the Beta. Plus it will bring in/keep an increased number of PvPers while there is active PvP.

While it may push away new non-PvP players, this server is, at its core, a PvP server.
The thing is, there's a difference between "PvP" and "PvP".
What this dynmap encourages, is hunting down newbs outright, since it's both easier and more likely you'll find newbs than experienced players (who know how to hide from it).
What it does not encourage, is finding someone actually your level to fight against fairly.
We don't need more mechanics that make it easier to farm newbs; them running forward out of spawn each time does that plenty enough.

At least with Track/DeathMark you choose one target, and there's a minor cost to it. It's probably more likely to be used for someone who knows how to play the game.

While it'd be nice for there to be an incentive to fight people your own level (or disincentive for hunting newbs, either way) the dynmap system doesn't solve anything and just adds another layer of mechanics that people get murdered for not knowing exist.

Quick note: No, removing the hide command won't solve anything. It's still a free, global track and I would bet all the money that it's used for hunting people who can't fight back rather than seeking out actual fights.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
The thing is, there's a difference between "PvP" and "PvP".
What this dynmap encourages, is hunting down newbs outright, since it's both easier and more likely you'll find newbs than experienced players (who know how to hide from it).
What it does not encourage, is finding someone actually your level to fight against fairly.
We don't need more mechanics that make it easier to farm newbs; them running forward out of spawn each time does that plenty enough.

At least with Track/DeathMark you choose one target, and there's a minor cost to it. It's probably more likely to be used for someone who knows how to play the game.

While it'd be nice for there to be an incentive to fight people your own level (or disincentive for hunting newbs, either way) the dynmap system doesn't solve anything and just adds another layer of mechanics that people get murdered for not knowing exist.

Quick note: No, removing the hide command won't solve anything. It's still a free, global track and I would bet all the money that it's used for hunting people who can't fight back rather than seeking out actual fights.
Faze and I used it to hunt You dwarfers and Nate down, if anything that's a fight favoring you and not us.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Faze and I used it to hunt You dwarfers and Nate down, if anything that's a fight favoring you and not us.
And someone can use an orbital death laser to ensure mankind's future rather than destroy the planet.
One particular case doesn't change the general purpose.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
And someone can use an orbital death laser to ensure mankind's future rather than destroy the planet.
It's much nicer being able to get a visual of where the people are, and how many they have. It also helps a little that if the map is updated you can also see if they are hiding in buildings to avoid wasting your time going over there for nothing. There is always /dynmap hide. It can be a regular announcement and placed in the tutorial or with holograms at spawn, but imo the dynmap is one of the better additions in a while. It gives me a chance to actually find pvp without requiring that I play Ranger/Ninja, and those classes will still have a use to track the people that are hidden.

Point is, dynmap allows more diversity in world pvp. Ninja and Ranger will still be played to track people who are not shown. So in other words it allows for more classes to become in a sense viable to find world pvp but limiting them only to the targets that allow it, thus keeping ranger and ninja as relevant tracking.

People from my town were using the map to find other towns (i.e. Groups of people that have at least some clue what they are doing) for PvP. If PvPers want to assault newbies they can just sit outside of spawn. Dynmap helps find actual groups of people for solid PvP.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
If people want to run /dynmap show as a call-out for people to find them, then fine.
I wasn't trying to argue against it existing as an option, just it being on by default for everyone.

So long as you get at least two groups that show on the map, then I suppose you've got a nice setup.
Just watch out for people who hide trying to get you; you had the option to hide, too.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Breeding and Spawning work outside of towns.
Alright.
I had seen some no-mob-spawning code earlier, when glancing around.
Probably causing this, though I'm pretty sure it's more intended for hostiles.

Granted, if some stuff I'm working on goes through, that'd be just as bad...
I'll be sure to bring it up.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
This is a 1.9 thing, I believe.
Sometimes if an item has too long of a warmup, the item won't come up for a long time. Some of the weapons for 1.9 might be bugged in their swing speed, and therefore won't come up and won't deal any damage.

I know this from map making and experimenting with weapon speed mechanics.

What if everyone starts off hidden on the dynmap, but gets a slight boost to exp gain when shown. Would let people interested in PvP able to find people/be found, but also give people who aren't traditionally super pro-PvP some incentive to risk it.

Kurrelgyre

Gold
The issue still remains, dynmap encourages ganking. You argue that it encourages pvp. It encourages ganking. If two pvp groups want to fight against each other, go ahead. Give each other coords. There's a class that can find people anyways right? Use that to swoop down on noobs. And the spawn needs to be larger, or new players need pvp protection for an hour or until they attack a player. It's not good for the server, because it keeps away new players, which kills the server.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
The issue still remains, dynmap encourages ganking. You argue that it encourages pvp. It encourages ganking. If two pvp groups want to fight against each other, go ahead. Give each other coords. There's a class that can find people anyways right? Use that to swoop down on noobs. And the spawn needs to be larger, or new players need pvp protection for an hour or until they attack a player. It's not good for the server, because it keeps away new players, which kills the server.
The spawn on the Beta map IS NOT the spawn for full release.
That spawn will be larger and hopefully address the issue of spawncamping.